d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Which Would You Choose?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,453.85
Apr 25 2023 06:10pm
Quote (SBD @ Apr 25 2023 04:49pm)
You said apartment which requires you to pay monthly fees like a strata. If you own your own home you can let it just detoriate under your feet but that's not the case for row house, apartment or condo the vast majority of the time.

We're also in a period of time of rapid realestate appreciation and rising costs resulting in both higher insurance and property tax burdens.

Your mom living off the bare minimum to survive is just wonderful but certainly not an inspiring way to live nor is it looking to be feisable for current generations seeking retirement.

Again oas, gis etc just brings you to the poverty line.

I'd invest in developing out a career, not working a 20 dollar an hour job six days a week for the next 20 years.

Well, aren't the OAS and GIS indexed to inflation? I am sure that the government wants retired people to be able to live on these payments, so I imagine by the time the younger generations retire, the amounts they get will be higher, too.

Anyway, I am not looking to get into an argument. I am just basing my understanding on my mom's situation. Yes, she lives in a house instead of a condo, so it's a bit different. I never said living off of OAS/GIS is an "inspiring" way to live. I said it's enough for people to survive on, and in a technical sense, I am right.

Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 25 2023 06:17pm
Quote (JessiWan @ Apr 25 2023 06:10pm)
Well, aren't the OAS and GIS indexed to inflation? I am sure that the government wants retired people to be able to live on these payments, so I imagine by the time the younger generations retire, the amounts they get will be higher, too.

Anyway, I am not looking to get into an argument. I am just basing my understanding on my mom's situation. Yes, she lives in a house instead of a condo, so it's a bit different. I never said living off of OAS/GIS is an "inspiring" way to live. I said it's enough for people to survive on, and in a technical sense, I am right.

Housing is not properly represented in cost of living adjustments, there's been political pressure for years now for the cost of living adjustment to change. Housing has increased in multiples in the past 30 years OAS sure hasn't.

Survival isn't living anyone planning out a retirement knows the difference between those two.

If your question is just should I give up 18*52 to get 365*3 when you're older you don't need input on that. That's a very basic personal question.

This post was edited by SBD on Apr 25 2023 06:23pm
Apr 25 2023 06:29pm
Quote (SBD @ Apr 25 2023 05:17pm)
Housing is not properly represented in cost of living adjustments, there's been political pressure for years now for the cost of living adjustment to change. Housing has increased in multiples in the past 30 years OAS sure hasn't.

This sounds like the government's failure, tbh.

Survival isn't living anyone planning out a retirement knows the difference between those two.

Omg....I never said living off of OAS and GIS is a desirable way to live. I merely said they're technically enough to survive on. Go start an argument with someone else.
Gold: 5.00
Apr 26 2023 01:29am
Quote (JessiWan @ Apr 25 2023 09:11am)
It depends on the individual circumstances; however in my country, retired people get OAS and possibly GIS, depending on their income. This money isn't a lot, but is enough to live on,if they have a place of their own.

If you or a relative are in this situation. owning a property but living on a fixed income...

Consider getting your or relatives property deed transferred before the end. At least in the US, the corporate hawks will swirl for real-estate and other assets after death claiming they are owed it for this and that nonsense (especially if living on a tight budget or maxing out state aid). At least in US, if you get deed transferred over correctly and timely you can avoid the hawks at the end and people like mum/grandmum can pass on a little gift instead of a burden to their kin. Imagine you actually paid for that apartment until 65 years old, then die at 70 and state takes it from your family. What a waste. Might be good to be strategic with pre-payment if that is a thing in CA (pay down principal with extra payment to save on the back-end of the loan).

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Apr 26 2023 01:29am
Apr 26 2023 07:46am
Quote (RedFromWinter @ Apr 26 2023 01:29am)
If you or a relative are in this situation. owning a property but living on a fixed income...

Consider getting your or relatives property deed transferred before the end. At least in the US, the corporate hawks will swirl for real-estate and other assets after death claiming they are owed it for this and that nonsense (especially if living on a tight budget or maxing out state aid). At least in US, if you get deed transferred over correctly and timely you can avoid the hawks at the end and people like mum/grandmum can pass on a little gift instead of a burden to their kin. Imagine you actually paid for that apartment until 65 years old, then die at 70 and state takes it from your family. What a waste. Might be good to be strategic with pre-payment if that is a thing in CA (pay down principal with extra payment to save on the back-end of the loan).

That's not a thing in Canada. If you don't have a surviving spouse, child or immediate parent alive its divided among any siblings. You can appoint an executor to avoid conflict among your siblings to ensure its divided equally.

Now if you have no bothers or sisters, no surviving spouse / common law, or parents it goes to a niece or nephew and if those don't exist and you have absolutely no family whatsoever or a will it goes to the government. But who cares at that point, there was no one to give it to and you're dead.

There's some variance province to province but that's the basics.

This post was edited by SBD on Apr 26 2023 07:48am
Apr 26 2023 08:33am
Quote (RedFromWinter @ Apr 26 2023 12:29am)

I know it's bad that the government wants some of it, however if people transfer ownership of their homes to someone else before they die, they will lose a sense of security.
Apr 26 2023 08:54am
Quote (JessiWan @ Apr 26 2023 08:33am)
I know it's bad that the government wants some of it, however if people transfer ownership of their homes to someone else before they die, they will lose a sense of security.

It's also a moronic decision in Canada. If you were to transfer ownership and you yourself also purchased a home, apartment, condo whatever, you then have two listed properties to your name, only one of which you can claim as a primary / principal residence resulting in future tax consequences when disposing or transferring of the properties in the future.

This post was edited by SBD on Apr 26 2023 08:55am
Gold: 261.69
Apr 26 2023 02:31pm
Quote (JessiWan @ 25 Apr 2023 20:10)

my aunt is retired and living on OAS

she can barely make it month to month and her rent is $113 a month

Gold: 15,727.00
Apr 26 2023 02:40pm
If I were you, i'd start an onlyfans
Gold: 1,211.01
Apr 26 2023 09:10pm
YOLO

but yeh if you like your job/ its the only way you socialize then go ahead and pick up more or work longer

This post was edited by KRR on Apr 26 2023 09:14pm
Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll