d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > It's Rough Around The Edges. Yet,
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6.69
Apr 1 2023 10:11pm
Yet, Annihilation is quite a rich sci-fi fantasy film. It pummels you to think and to ponder.
If you love what ifs and if do not mind slow paced with rich storylines, then this is a film for you.
In the not too distant future, who really knows what awaits this phenomena we call life.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2798920/

Gold: 63,142.89
Apr 2 2023 04:55pm
The ending felt underwhelming after what had been a lot of buildup. Though maybe that's just a credit to the movie's ability to build up so much anticipation.

I'll also give the movie credit for pulling off girl power without making me roll my eyes and think "oh great, girl power..."

This post was edited by Kayeto on Apr 2 2023 04:56pm
Apr 2 2023 05:22pm
Quote (Kayeto @ 2 Apr 2023 18:55)
The ending felt underwhelming after what had been a lot of buildup. Though maybe that's just a credit to the movie's ability to build up so much anticipation.

I'll also give the movie credit for pulling off girl power without making me roll my eyes and think "oh great, girl power..."

I was hyper focused on the idea of a fusion of a mimicking entity with a shimmering force which land on a planet slowly devouring the original lifeforms and then replaces these with forms of life that are unimaginable. That storyline had me at the edge of my dusty computer chair. :blush: When it comes to what life might be like in another solar system, galaxy, and/or universe, it may be that we lack the propensities to imagine what that life will be like. I can only speak for myself when sharing that I would be so disappointed if the first sentient form(s) of life that we discover or which discovers us is human-like. :hug:
Gold: 10,025.00
Apr 4 2023 03:56am
Quote (jalapenos @ 2 Apr 2023 17:22)
I was hyper focused on the idea of a fusion of a mimicking entity with a shimmering force which land on a planet slowly devouring the original lifeforms and then replaces these with forms of life that are unimaginable. That storyline had me at the edge of my dusty computer chair. :blush: When it comes to what life might be like in another solar system, galaxy, and/or universe, it may be that we lack the propensities to imagine what that life will be like. I can only speak for myself when sharing that I would be so disappointed if the first sentient form(s) of life that we discover or which discovers us is human-like. :hug:

Tbh I kind of hate the entire "alien life absolutely annihilates earth life" trope that we see in a lot of mediocre sci-fi. It's completely absurd to think that our biology would be at all compatible in any way. Like why would an alien biology develop any way whatsoever to interact with a biology that's... Alien to it?
Apr 4 2023 08:05am
Quote (Blah58 @ 4 Apr 2023 05:56)
Tbh I kind of hate the entire "alien life absolutely annihilates earth life" trope that we see in a lot of mediocre sci-fi. It's completely absurd to think that our biology would be at all compatible in any way. Like why would an alien biology develop any way whatsoever to interact with a biology that's... Alien to it?

In the real world, I, too, am of the mind to think that we do not know what alien life will be like and if it at all can be relatable to life as we know life to be.
I guess, and for me, this sci-fi/fantasy story is of a phenomenon of a "force", well, we do not know what this shimmering thing is, replacing life without even being grounded in an intent to do so. From what I can understand, it is not evil nor good, but it just extends its existence upon any of the matter it comes into contact with.
It is a strange story that I think has its place in our laundry list of storylines.
Gold: 25.00
Warn: 10%
Apr 4 2023 02:08pm
My fave novelist turned script writer Alex Garland (The Beach, The Tesseract)

I'll have to check it out, it was hyped up hard by quite a few people but I never got around to watching
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll