d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Looking For Advice
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 179.69
Aug 29 2023 09:16pm
150 mins of moderate intensity cardio a week, get in the habit of tracking everything you eat. if you get fatter, eat less. consistency over time is the only way it works
Retired Moderator
Gold: 4.79
Trader: Trusted
Aug 30 2023 03:46pm
Quote (Ryvulet @ 9 Mar 2023 22:46)
Just started going to the gym again! Looking to get small gains, while keeping overall fitness at a similar level.
For anybody who tracks, got a decent advice? I got a membership at a PF. The place is somewhat busy but there is enough equipment there.
I'm 5'8'' - around 215 lbs. Back when I was in shape, I was around 175-180 labs. Looking to get to around 190-195ish at an end goal. 200-205 as a starting goal.
Any advice on a good rotation than I can do 3-4 times a week? Also, how many calories should I look to burn per session? Around 300-400?
It has been close to a decade since I've actively done any weight lifting or body workouts.

Here is a place to start.

Find a total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) so you can have a rough estimation of your TDEE based on your measurements and your activity level. Take note that there is a margin for error as this is an estimation. From there you can create a slight calorie deficit (let's say your TDEE is 2500, you might want to shoot for 2200 or 2250 calories to start and see if your weight is moving down).

Keep track of your daily steps (shoot for 7000+ ideally)
If you can, include 3-4 resistance training sessions a week
Add dedicated cardio if you wish
Get good sleep
Choose filling non processed foods

I do not think that aiming for how many calories you should burn in a workout is accurate at all because of:
1- the measurement either comes from the cardio machine or a smart watch and both are horrid at estimating energy expenditure
2- I would strongly advise trying to work on improving your lifestyle (activity level, sleep, nutrition, stress management), towards reaching and maintaining your goal weight in the long term.

I would not write full routines for free, but this has all the basics covered in very few words. I do this for a living.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll