d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature >
Poll > The Case For Electromagnetic Universe > + Other Heresy Against The Establishment
Prev1505152535462Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 299.20
Aug 9 2016 01:24pm
I'm just wondering if some people here are actually aware of the fact, that science can't really prove anything a 100%?
Science doesn't generate ready made and irrevocable truthes.
You just observe and then try to understand and develop a model to explain it.
That doesn't mean these models are always 100% correct. Science is a dynamic process of generating knowledge and changes of knowledge.

The claim for proof of gravity is just silly. It belongs to a model that (up to now) explains the macroscopic observations.
It's the same as if I would ask what causes magnetism.

Up to know it's the same answer as for gravity. We simply don't know.
Maybe in some years someone will make some new observations which lead to a better understanding. Or already tomorrow. Who knows.

This thread has already 51 pages and none of them seem to be scientific in my opinion.

If you just want to shout abuse at each other you should find a more appealing place or simply do sports to release your anger.

Just my 2 cents...
Gold: 260.11
Aug 9 2016 02:42pm
Quote (ScotchBonnet @ Aug 9 2016 01:24pm)
I'm just wondering if some people here are actually aware of the fact, that science can't really prove anything a 100%?
That doesn't mean these models are always 100% correct. Science is a dynamic process of generating knowledge and changes of knowledge.

The claim for proof of gravity is just silly. It belongs to a model that (up to now) explains the macroscopic observations.

Maybe in some years someone will make some new observations which lead to a better understanding. Or already tomorrow. Who knows.

This thread has already 51 pages and none of them seem to be scientific in my opinion.

If you just want to shout abuse at each other you should find a more appealing place or simply do sports to release your anger.

Just my 2 cents...

You're mostly correct, but the incorrect part is mostly just nuanced terminology.

Gravity is a fact. Things fall due to the force of gravity. This is indisputable.

However, The Theory of Gravity, is a theory. The theory explains why it happens and can never be 100% proven.

Our current understanding of gravity is pretty good. It explains why planets move around the sun. It explains why apples fall to the Earth, why the Apple moves more than the Earth.

We have also observed attraction between large boulders and small boulders, this prediction was extremely important to showing that our current understanding of gravity is pretty good.

There are some issues. Newtonian gravity doesn't predict our solar system should have stable orbits. To understand that you have to work in relativity and it gets MUCH more complicated. Relativity also predicted that light should bend more when traveling around massive objects than would be predicted by Newtonian theory. This was a major prediction for relativity.

If you think something other than attraction between masses causes gravity, then that's cool, but our current theories work pretty well.
Gold: 4.77
Aug 9 2016 04:12pm
Y'all wouldn't know science if it bit you in the ass.
Though I must reinstate this was supposed to be a philosophical thread before people cried to have it moved.
But if the shoe fits, wear it.

Quote (MaliceMizer @ 4 Jul 2016 23:27)
http://i.imgur.com/EATldH9.png

Magnetism already has a direct impact on the way in which plants grow.
A seed, when placed on the ground, will germinate with outbreaks of shooting up and the roots down independently in the way in which the seed was planted in the ground.
NASA scientists believe that this is due to the geo-magnetic attraction of the Earth in relation to the protoplasm of the seeds.
Proteins in the protoplasm near the cell wall of a plant cell are pulled down, which indicates the plant how to grow.

Hypothesis:
Magnetism imparts force upon proteins in the protoplasm for plants to determine growth factors based on the Polarity of the magnet.

Experiment:
control vs S "pole" of a neodymium magnet
then control vs N "pole" of a neodymium magnet later

2 x 3gallon aquaponic tanks with 1 veil tail male beta and 1 pleco alge eater
arrowhead "100% spring water"
grow bed
grow lid
submersible pump
common gravel and plastic gravel (blue for s towards plants, red for control)
5 plants seeds; 2 radish, 2 wheatgrass, 1 basil
growstones
D-klor water conditioner
zym bac nutrient bacteria
tidy tank cleaner
beta fish food

Expected results:
S pole towards the plants will produce higher quality yield than control
N pole towards the plants will produce lower quality yield than control

http://i.imgur.com/It8bMcX.png

http://i.imgur.com/KwNLS7F.jpg

Term:
1st harvest 4 weeks @ august 4th
pole flip
2nd harvest at 8 weeks @ september 4th

Preharvest 1:

harvest 1 yeild:

South pole magnetic tastes a lot more robust and full flavored :D
Time to flip poles

This post was edited by MaliceMizer on Aug 9 2016 04:25pm
Aug 9 2016 04:21pm
Quote (MaliceMizer @ Aug 9 2016 04:12pm)
Though I must reinstate this was supposed to be a philosophical thread before people cried to have it moved.

Preharvest 1:
http://i.imgur.com/9jOdni6.jpg

harvest 1 yeild:
http://i.imgur.com/xYPYJMK.jpg

Magnetic tastes a lot more robust and full flavored :D
Time to flip poles

An extra 18 grams in a 900+ gram sample. And only one sample. Definitely enough to draw conclusions from. Totally scientific.

Sorry, I was looking at it on my phone and misread the numbers.

Still, one sample, under unacceptably different conditions. Different water volume, and they have a fish inside. If you want to convince anybody you're going to have to standardize your procedure.

I have heard that plants grow faster under power lines though, and the moving electric current generates a magnetic field, so you never know.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Aug 9 2016 04:27pm
Aug 9 2016 04:27pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 9 Aug 2016 17:21)
An extra 18 grams in a 900+ gram sample. And only one sample. Definitely enough to draw conclusions from. Totally scientific.

that's 94g vs 71g.
something like 30%?
Not gonna bother with the math untill the experiement is concluded.
That was only the S pole.

But it already looks like a way to get much better fruits of our labors without fertilizers, I will admit unscientifically.

This post was edited by MaliceMizer on Aug 9 2016 04:32pm
Aug 9 2016 05:04pm
Quote (MaliceMizer @ Aug 9 2016 04:27pm)
that's 94g vs 71g.
something like 30%?
Not gonna bother with the math untill the experiement is concluded.
That was only the S pole.

But it already looks like a way to get much better fruits of our labors without fertilizers, I will admit unscientifically.

You'd just have to install electric wires across all crops to generate the magnetic field.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Aug 9 2016 07:39pm
Quote (ScotchBonnet @ Aug 9 2016 09:24am)

Just my 2 cents...

That's exactly what I am saying, if there was proof of gravity - i would have no issue with accepting sphere Earth
Therefore i have to consider flat Earth as well, and surprising, they have more proof

It's just like saying there is a God, but no one can prove it
therefore I have to consider the fact that there may be no God.

Not a fan of B+W thinking, so i found it confusing how someone can live 100% in either of those beliefs and consider they have a right to insult other people who dont share their faith 100%

This post was edited by card_sultan on Aug 9 2016 07:58pm
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Aug 9 2016 07:57pm
Quote (MaliceMizer @ Aug 9 2016 12:12pm)

Preharvest 1:
http://i.imgur.com/9jOdni6.jpg

harvest 1 yeild:
http://i.imgur.com/xYPYJMK.jpg

South pole magnetic tastes a lot more robust and full flavored :D
Time to flip poles

nice experiment, where are use placing the magnet? Could there be any difference in the amount of light or heat each plant is receiving -one side of the window could be letting in more heat - thereby changing the amount of evaporation that is occurring?

Is each plant completely hydroponic?
Aug 10 2016 08:14am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 9 Aug 2016 18:04)
You'd just have to install electric wires across all crops to generate the magnetic field.

Prove it, shit-for-brains with your beak in the air.

Also I care about feeding the world, not feeding crooks like you who have electricity running 24/7 and can't fathom WHY it works.
Aug 10 2016 10:27am
Quote (MaliceMizer @ Aug 10 2016 08:14am)
Prove it, shit-for-brains with your beak in the air.

http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.220333697.3762/flat,1000x1000,075,f.u3.jpg

Also I care about feeding the world, not feeding crooks like you who have electricity running 24/7 and can't fathom WHY it works.

The alternative is what? Manufacturing and installing a million bar magnets per acre?
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev1505152535462Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll