d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Flat Earth Vs Globe Earth > Why Or Why Not?
Prev13456754Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Jun 2 2016 03:53pm
I simply can't fathom how anyone could say circumnavigation is possible on a flat earth. Please someone explain that one to me...

edit: nvm, just looked up some info on it. Im going to watch a few more youtube videos just for card

after listening to a video the best part was claiming satellites don't exist.

I stopped when he claimed that antarctica is a wall of ice holding in the oceans and when asked "what lies beyond that" he simply said we dont know yet.

how someone could possibly believe this is beyond me.

I have personally made phone calls from a satellite phone in the boundary waters of canada far out of the range of cell towers. anyone care to explain that using the flat earth model?>

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 2 2016 04:18pm
Gold: 134.69
Jun 2 2016 04:21pm
Quote (MaliceMizer @ Jun 1 2016 11:27pm)
Duh it's half baked.

There's conflicting information and new information and it's being put together by amateurs who are trying to explain things with evidence instead of just parroting what they were taught before they understood critical analysis.

FE theory isn't complete, the first" rule" of FE is you don't talk about it (yet). thus there are many models and no consensus on any of it except what has been measured.

To dismiss the entirety of the theory because of it's gaps is the same logical process you should be applying to relativity. But you're refusing to.
Therefore you're a shining example of why the world needs people to ask questions.

I dismiss the flat earth theory because it requires insane mental gymnastics like 'floating magnets push the tides around'. You're now conflating relativity with the shape of the earth, even if relativity was completely disproven, we could still fly around the earth (fully around, not some nonsensical "circumnavigation" wordplay) and see that its a sphere (sort of).

Quote (russian @ Jun 2 2016 04:28pm)
How is circumnavigation possible? If you went in a straight line, you would eventually hit the edge. We can travel in any direction in a straight line and end up where we started, this is impossible with a flat earth.

its a bullshit wordplay, you can circumnavigate an island without needing to go underneath it, mental gymnastics is all it is.

Quote (MaliceMizer @ Jun 2 2016 01:24pm)
This is what science and intellectualism has been masquerading as for the last couple hundred years.

Quote (card_sultan @ Jun 2 2016 01:34pm)
I know right, just attack them personally if you don't like the message, call them idiots for questioning dogmatic theories, believe you were taught all the correct information, and know that resistance of the elite is futile.

admittedly, you two have a point, buddy coming in here giving no evidence and bad mouthing is not helping anything, the earth is totally round though, you can literally google map the whole thing, is google in cahoots with nasa? thats quite the conspiracy

This post was edited by dude_927 on Jun 2 2016 04:37pm
Jun 2 2016 05:09pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jun 2 2016 12:36am)
lol, you don't understand a 5 minute video, but a 100% theory that is just complete guesswork could only be 1% chance of being wrong, I see why some stick to the basic theory.

say Ball
say Gravity

:thumbsup:

anything more than that is to complicated I guess.

complains about ad hominem, builds strawmen, seems legit
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Jun 2 2016 05:15pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 2 2016 04:53pm)
I simply can't fathom how anyone could say circumnavigation is possible on a flat earth. Please someone explain that one to me...

edit: nvm, just looked up some info on it. Im going to watch a few more youtube videos just for card

after listening to a video the best part was claiming satellites don't exist.

I stopped when he claimed that antarctica is a wall of ice holding in the oceans and when asked "what lies beyond that" he simply said we dont know yet.

how someone could possibly believe this is beyond me.

I have personally made phone calls from a satellite phone in the boundary waters of canada far out of the range of cell towers. anyone care to explain that using the flat earth model?>

its funny how you thought circumnavigation on a flat earth was impossible and then you looked it up and was like oooops.

The lack of satellites, idk - but I know a guy who was a satellite Tv installer and claimed there was a satellite that was always in the same spot in the sky -as in total synchronous orbit with the spin of the earth - which is totally impossible
and supposedly these phones just have a stronger antenna that allows them to communicate without being associated with a particular cell tower, and not that you would know but cross ocean communication was possible well before satellites. It involves these cell towers sending out a radio signal that bounces off the ionosphere And in the flat earth model all the land is on the same plane. And remember - the idea is that you need to pay for these services, if you really thought it was cheaper because it might not be a ball earth, people wouldn't each pay 100s a dollar a month to just be totally distracted by their phones.

As for the Wall being real or not or just complete fantasy, well the most popular show on tv has to do with the Wall, and really - Aren't we all worried at least a little bit that Winter is coming?

Quote (dude_927 @ Jun 2 2016 06:09pm)
complains about ad hominem, builds strawmen, seems legit

That's not a strawman, that's a satirical comment about why people need to stick to the basics. Its because they need to feel that everything is known and already explained when its just an illusion that you put complete faith in.
Since we were talking about the Sun on whether it is Fusion or Magnetic - Do you think the Math proves it is fusion or that the math would only be relevant if the Sun was fusion? If anyone claims to think they know what it is for a fact, they are nothing but blatent liars.

This post was edited by card_sultan on Jun 2 2016 05:25pm
Jun 2 2016 05:31pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jun 2 2016 06:15pm)
its funny how you thought circumnavigation on a flat earth was impossible and then you looked it up and was like oooops.

The lack of satellites, idk - but I know a guy who was a satellite Tv installer and claimed there was a satellite that was always in the same spot in the sky -as in total synchronous orbit with the spin of the earth - which is totally impossible
and supposedly these phones just have a stronger antenna that allows them to communicate without being associated with a particular cell tower, and not that you would know but cross ocean communication was possible well before satellites. It involves these cell towers sending out a radio signal that bounces off the ionosphere And in the flat earth model all the land is on the same plane. And remember - the idea is that you need to pay for these services, if you really thought it was cheaper because it might not be a ball earth, people wouldn't each pay 100s a dollar a month to just be totally distracted by their phones.

As for the Wall being real or not or just complete fantasy, well the most popular show on tv has to do with the Wall, and really - Aren't we all worried at least a little bit that Winter is coming?

That's not a strawman, that's a satirical comment about why people need to stick to the basics. Its because they need to feel that everything is known and already explained when its just an illusion that you put complete faith in.
Since we were talking about the Sun on whether it is Fusion or Magnetic - Do you think the Math proves it is fusion or that the math would only be relevant if the Sun was fusion? If anyone claims to think they know what it is for a fact, they are nothing but blatent liars.

satire or not, its a strawman...
i think the gamma radiation proves it... already said that...

e: wait, you think the sun is the big magnet pushing the tides around? (pushing is the important word, gravity pulls)

This post was edited by dude_927 on Jun 2 2016 05:33pm
Gold: 17.00
Jun 2 2016 07:43pm
All of you guys rock, thanks for all the replies, fun read
Jun 2 2016 08:39pm
Quote (Catjesus @ Jun 2 2016 08:43pm)
All of you guys rock, thanks for all the replies, fun read

sadly, its the closest thing we've had to a scientific discussion in this subforum for a long time, thank you :/
Gold: 360.00
Jun 2 2016 10:24pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jun 2 2016 06:15pm)

hmmmmmmmm
Gold: 178.48
Jun 2 2016 11:07pm
Quote (whopperjr @ 3 Jun 2016 14:24)
hmmmmmmmm

iono(hemi)sphere maybe?
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Jun 3 2016 06:37am
Quote (dude_927 @ Jun 2 2016 06:31pm)
satire or not, its a strawman...
i think the gamma radiation proves it... already said that...

e: wait, you think the sun is the big magnet pushing the tides around? (pushing is the important word, gravity pulls)

Well a strawman is an argument that doesn't make sense, a fallacy - so if you think ball and gravity are that - then you might just be correct.

Also thats just a theory, only one of multiple possibilities, as I stated. If you have a problem then you really need to stick to the most basic ones.

Quote (whopperjr @ Jun 2 2016 11:24pm)
hmmmmmmmm

well biosphere is just a domed structure, so I don't think the layers of the atmosphere have to be changed if this theory is true.

This post was edited by card_sultan on Jun 3 2016 06:49am
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev13456754Next
Closed New Topic New Poll