d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Flat Earth Vs Globe Earth > Why Or Why Not?
Prev1252627282954Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Warn: 20%
Jul 5 2016 06:01pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jul 5 2016 03:56pm)
Things falling to earth is not some magical proof of gravity
When you drop an object, its velocity changes from 0 (before you drop it) to some velocity in a downward direction. Since the velocity changed, the rate of change of velocity can not be 0. The rate of change of velocity has another name: acceleration. Therefore the object has a non 0 acceleration. Now consider F = ma. The object has a non 0 mass, and it has a non 0 acceleration, therefore must be a non 0 force acting upon it. People like to give forces names and this one is historically called gravity. If you don't like the name, that is just a semantics problem.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Jul 5 2016 06:06pm
Quote (luckspin @ Jul 5 2016 06:54pm)
card_potter the almighty can (WITH 1 FINGER LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!) defeat gravity!

and for his next trick he will jump and stay suspended for as long as he wants! :thumbsup:

Well i think only Superman can do that and last time I checked - that was just a fantasy Comic book.

I think your brain cells are affected by Gravity.

Gold: 16,240.00
Jul 5 2016 06:09pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jul 5 2016 11:54pm)
exactly - 99.5% of science is not based on the complete Faith of gravity.

did you mean like 40%?
you try designing a helicopter without gravity/air pressure etc, do you believe in air pressure? is it caused by the mysterious thing that does the same thing as gravity but isn't gravity?

you can separate particles physics because the effects of gravity are so little but any macrophysics...

Jul 5 2016 06:09pm
Quote (Azrad @ Jul 5 2016 07:01pm)
When you drop an object, its velocity changes from 0 (before you drop it) to some velocity in a downward direction. Since the velocity changed, the rate of change of velocity can not be 0. The rate of change of velocity has another name: acceleration. Therefore the object has a non 0 acceleration. Now consider F = ma. The object has a non 0 mass, and it has a non 0 acceleration, therefore must be a non 0 force acting upon it. People like to give forces names and this one is historically called gravity. If you don't like the name, that is just a semantics problem.

So an object sitting on the earth has no acceleration, so i guess it has no mass either :wacko:
Jul 5 2016 06:14pm
Quote (dakariii @ Jul 5 2016 07:09pm)
did you mean like 40%?
you try designing a helicopter without gravity/air pressure etc, do you believe in air pressure? is it caused by the mysterious thing that does the same thing as gravity but isn't gravity?

you can separate particles physics because the effects of gravity are so little but any macrophysics...

Give it time - you'll figure it out probably
How much of a Helicopter's uplift is required to overcome gravity or is it all just to overcome the mass?

This post was edited by card_sultan on Jul 5 2016 06:17pm
Gold: 11,295.00
Jul 5 2016 06:23pm
Quote (card_sultan @ 6 Jul 2016 03:06)
Well i think only Superman can do that and last time I checked - that was just a fantasy Comic book.

I think your brain cells are affected by Gravity.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rWsDDN4QEWg/hqdefault.jpg

Aaaa Uaaa whats that? flat_sultan got ReKt again?

i know u cant challenge me intellectually but at least try

or maybe thats the best u can do :rofl:

This post was edited by luckspin on Jul 5 2016 06:23pm
Gold: 16,240.00
Jul 5 2016 06:24pm
Do you accept F=ma at all?
I don't see how we can make anything that moves with precision without it, you can test it by pushing blowing etc on stuff of different weights (applying force, measuring acceleration)

A helicopters uplift needs to overcome it's mass in gravity, by applying a force that makes its upwards acceleration greater than gravity's downwards acceleration. If it just had to overcome mass you could get it to start moving with any amount of force even if slowly at first, like sliding it on zero friction.

An object at rest has zero net force not mass with remains constant ofc
Gold: Locked
Warn: 20%
Jul 5 2016 06:27pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jul 5 2016 05:09pm)
So an object sitting on the earth has no acceleration, so i guess it has no mass either :wacko:
math fail. 0 = m*0. See the mass does not have to disappear.

Jul 5 2016 06:34pm
Quote (dakariii @ Jul 5 2016 07:24pm)
Do you accept F=ma at all?
I don't see how we can make anything that moves with precision without it, you can test it by pushing blowing etc on stuff of different weights (applying force, measuring acceleration)

A helicopters uplift needs to overcome it's mass in gravity, by applying a force that makes its upwards acceleration greater than gravity's downwards acceleration. If it just had to overcome mass you could get it to start moving with any amount of force even if slowly at first, like sliding it on zero friction.

An object at rest has zero net force not mass with remains constant ofc

Well, think if can with that issue if you can think of it symmetrically - supposedly gravity still acts on an object just sitting there and that object has mass still so we must be doing something wrong to not acknowledge all this force of acceleration that is just wasted by just sitting there to be taken advantage of - I suppose things just sitting on the ground are just waiting for humans to take advantage of all that kinetic energy sitting there just wasted. YEah! - gravity solves energy crisis!!!!!!

This post was edited by card_sultan on Jul 5 2016 06:35pm
Gold: 7,271.48
Jul 5 2016 06:34pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jul 5 2016 06:14pm)
Give it time - you'll figure it out probably
How much of a Helicopter uplift is required to overcome gravity or is it all just to overcome the mass?

Or is to overcome the force the helicopter experiences due to its mass....

Quote (card_sultan @ Jul 5 2016 04:56pm)
Things falling to earth is not some magical proof of gravity, why does hot air resist this force - it is only because of density and the fact there is no gravity. If gravity were real, simply heating up some air wouldnt alllow it to resist the strength of gravity. And if th theory of gravity was actually true - Global warming ought to heat up the oceans and air enough so that the entire mass of it all should be leaving the Earth behind any second, so waiting for that.....

I'm sorry a lifetime of indoctrination can't make you see this, and a few minutes of actually thinking about this will only get you to regurgitate that which you were taught.

So once again without retreating to your safe space in cards imaginary up/down land why is the heavier substance attracted to the earth?

Or do you not believe in anything you can't see, do you believe the air we breath is composed mainly of nitrogen and oxygen ? I guess if you don't believe that you can't believe that water vapour is lighter that dry air?
I know , let's try an experiment. do you know of any tailing ponds in sour areas? Try stir one up a bit and lie down to confirm H2S is heavier than air.

This post was edited by remco6 on Jul 5 2016 06:37pm
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev1252627282954Next
Closed New Topic New Poll