d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Flat Earth Vs Globe Earth > Why Or Why Not?
Prev1161718192054Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Jun 21 2016 04:29pm
Quote (majorblood @ Jun 21 2016 05:09pm)
in the Flat Earth theory the sun is a spotlight, right? If so why is the sky blue?

Light is still subject to the Laws of the Electromagnetic Spectrum where the layers of the atmosphere filter out the really bad stuff and lets the blue light through. An interesting argument for why the sun is not 93 million miles away is that why is space dark?
If i turn on a light the space in between a light and any object it hits is completely lit as well, it's so simple it's shocking really.

This post was edited by card_sultan on Jun 21 2016 04:32pm
Gold: 5,388.33
Jun 21 2016 04:32pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jun 21 2016 02:29pm)
Light is still subject to the Laws of the Electromagnetic Spectrum where the layers of the atmosphere filter out the really bad stuff and lets the blue light through. An interesting argument for why the sun is not 93 million miles away is that why is space dark?
If i turn on a light the space in between a light and any object it hits is completely lit as well, is so simple it's shocking really.

http://electricalsmarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/electromagnetic-wavelength-spectrum.jpg

where does the sun go at night and what is keeping it orbiting the planet(assuming it is) in flat earth?
Jun 21 2016 04:47pm
Quote (majorblood @ Jun 21 2016 05:32pm)
where does the sun go at night and what is keeping it orbiting the planet(assuming it is) in flat earth?

Good question, I thought the same thing, that if the earth is flat, shouldn't you always see the sun? That is until I saw this video which shows that the sun doesnt set - it just gets smaller and smaller because there is a limit to our horizontal perspective.

Gold: 341.00
Jun 21 2016 05:04pm
Honestly, I'm so unfamiliar with this but I've been trying to read more, but it seems like scientists actually working on this are nowhere near close to proving the universe is a holograph, just that in theory, it might be possible. Even they aren't trying to make this argument yet, they don't have the math to illustrate this so why do you think you can prove your theory using this principle? I don't think there's any basis to make this argumnent quite yet. I don't think you would be able to prove it until much more research is done on the topic. It's interesting for sure. However, if this is supposed to prove a flat earth, I fail to see how it does any such thing.
Gold: 5,388.33
Jun 21 2016 05:13pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jun 21 2016 02:47pm)
Good question, I thought the same thing, that if the earth is flat, shouldn't you always see the sun? That is until I saw this video which shows that the sun doesnt set - it just gets smaller and smaller because there is a limit to our horizontal perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Uj0FgDP38

and what is keeping it orbiting the planet(assuming it is) in flat earth?

where does the sun go at night ?

This post was edited by majorblood on Jun 21 2016 05:15pm
Gold: 341.00
Jun 21 2016 05:15pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jun 21 2016 06:47pm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Uj0FgDP38

what about astronauts who see 16 sunrises and sunsets per day on the ISS? The video you posted is not scientific whatsoever. It is someone showing videos of sunsets and making a cheesy model in their kitchen that doesn't actually prove anything. Again, their ignorance of actual science does not mean they are right. The fact that you posted that video says all I need to know. You don't really understand how the scientific process works at all. I don't think you're able to differentiate between the actual scientific method and what these people who purport these theories are presenting as science. I don't mean to come off mean or anything, but your logic in believing this is inherently flawed.
Jun 21 2016 10:14pm
Quote (mephistopholes @ Jun 21 2016 06:15pm)
what about astronauts who see 16 sunrises and sunsets per day on the ISS? The video you posted is not scientific whatsoever. It is someone showing videos of sunsets and making a cheesy model in their kitchen that doesn't actually prove anything. Again, their ignorance of actual science does not mean they are right. The fact that you posted that video says all I need to know. You don't really understand how the scientific process works at all. I don't think you're able to differentiate between the actual scientific method and what these people who purport these theories are presenting as science. I don't mean to come off mean or anything, but your logic in believing this is inherently flawed.

Although you seem pretty angry, like must people are when they begin to question the nature of reality vs the reality of what you were taught. Some of these observations and older than science and actually are much more logical. To answer your question, If the Earth is really flat? then Why would the ISS claim to see 16 Sunrises? Well, one just needs to imagine how circumnavigation of the terrestrial plane is quite possible, than if the ISS is really in low earth orbit , 16x is quite possible. That is to say if Satellites really exist , I always thought it was a little odd that no man has left low earth orbit in over 40 years.

This post was edited by card_sultan on Jun 21 2016 10:15pm
Gold: 36.32
Jul 1 2016 02:06am
The only way to know if the Earth is either, is to build your own rocket ship and see.
Gold: 178.48
Jul 1 2016 05:25am
Quote (MANGOkushLOVER @ 1 Jul 2016 18:06)
The only way to know if the Earth is either, is to build your own rocket ship and see.

Like our old friend Auguste Piccard?
Gold: 16,240.00
Jul 1 2016 10:12am
um if the earth was flat you could fall off the edge or go round the other side, are people trying to say that you teleport across space when you go off one side
or are you trying to ask if space/our universe is flat also?

in which case it doesn't matter, it's like is everything in 2d or just 0 and 1 in a computer code. What matters is the model/reality we experience

this whole thing is bs people have known about geometry for centuries, we have a sun, a moon that shows the earths shadow and we know the relationship between points on the earth, spheres in a 3d space in the only explanation without teleportation

btw you can easily go up high enough to see the curvature of the earth! in a plane etc

Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev1161718192054Next
Closed New Topic New Poll