d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Evidence Of New Planet 10 Times Size Of Earth > In Our Solar System
12315Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,663.69
Jan 24 2016 10:59am
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/evidence-of-new-planet-10-times-size-of-earth-in-solar-system-1.2505306

"Evidence of a hidden giant planet on the fringes of the solar system has been uncovered by scientists using computer simulations.
The mysterious world, nicknamed Planet Nine, is about 10 times more massive than the Earth, thought to be gaseous, and similar to Uranus or Neptune.

Scientists believe it traces a highly elongated orbit and takes between 10,000 and 20,000 years to make just one journey around the sun.
Planet Nine is, on average, about 20 times further from the sun than Neptune, which orbits at a distance of about 4.5 billion kilometres.

Once there were thought to be nine planets in the solar system, but then the outermost, Pluto, was demoted to the status of “dwarf planet”.

There is no doubt that the new world, which has not yet been observed directly, is a “true” planet.
Professor Mike Brown, from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), one of the astronomers who announced the discovery in the Astronomical Journal, said: “This would be a real ninth planet. There have only been two true planets discovered since ancient times, and this would be a third.

“It’s a pretty substantial chunk of our solar system that’s still out there to be found, which is pretty exciting.”
Unusual orbits
Planet Nine has 5,000 times the mass of Pluto, which inhabits a ring of rocky bodies beyond Neptune known as the Kuiper Belt.
Its existence was inferred from the gravitational influence it has on several Kuiper Belt objects with highly unusual orbits.
Computer simulations confirmed that a large new planet was the most likely explanation for the observations.
The clinching evidence came from a prediction that a ninth planet would result in Kuiper Belt objects having orbits inclined perpendicularly to the plane of the planets.
In the last three years, four objects were found that behaved in this way.

“We plotted up the positions of those objects and their orbits, and they matched the simulations exactly,” said Prof Brown. “When we found that, my jaw sort of hit the floor.”
His Caltech colleague Dr Konstantin Batygin said: “Although we were initially quite sceptical that this planet could exist, as we continued to investigate its orbit and what it would mean for the outer solar system, we became increasingly convinced that it is out there.
“For the first time in over 150 years, there is solid evidence that the solar system’s planetary census is incomplete.”
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Jan 24 2016 04:44pm
oh cool, they found Nibiru, just great - uggg.
Gold: 10,663.69
Jan 25 2016 12:42am
Back to work mining some gold
Jan 25 2016 01:34am
isn't it great when science tries to get all sciencey, I can already see the Nobel awards getting handed out.
Gold: 260.11
Jan 25 2016 06:28pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jan 25 2016 01:34am)
isn't it great when science tries to get all sciencey, I can already see the Nobel awards getting handed out.

I don't think it's possible for science to not be science-like
Jan 25 2016 06:48pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 25 2016 07:28pm)
I don't think it's possible for science to not be science-like

of course, but Science has to stop pretending they know everything when it's just that they know a little bit of something.
Take for example the Big Bang - there tons of people that will swear up and down and it the ultimate truth of how the universe was created, but it's just a theory and it completely falls apart when you factor in planet creation. That's why they spent all that money to build the Higgs/Boson particle accelerator - to say there's a special particle that can build planets, I mean c'mon man.

They can't even explain why our universe is at a 90 degree plane to that of the milky way, and this new planet sorta proves that they are fumbling around in the dark like a bunch of clueless idiots trying to make sense of something and just pretending they know the answer to anything.
Gold: 88.21
Jan 25 2016 08:33pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Jan 25 2016 05:48pm)
of course, but Science has to stop pretending they know everything when it's just that they know a little bit of something.
Take for example the Big Bang - there tons of people that will swear up and down and it the ultimate truth of how the universe was created, but it's just a theory and it completely falls apart when you factor in planet creation. That's why they spent all that money to build the Higgs/Boson particle accelerator - to say there's a special particle that can build planets, I mean c'mon man.

They can't even explain why our universe is at a 90 degree plane to that of the milky way, and this new planet sorta proves that they are fumbling around in the dark like a bunch of clueless idiots trying to make sense of something and just pretending they know the answer to anything.

Nobody thinks this except non scientifically minded people
Jan 26 2016 12:33am
Quote (Salacious @ Jan 25 2016 09:33pm)
Nobody thinks this except non scientifically minded people

I think we had a thread about the whole "where did the universe come from" thread/discussion in Pard and it basically 2 camps:

a: God did it in 7 days

or

b: Big bang + 12 billion years

But I just think they're both completely ridiculous and the reality is probably something so bizarre it's probably beyond human comprehension.

This post was edited by card_sultan on Jan 26 2016 12:34am
Jan 26 2016 12:56am
Quote (card_sultan @ Jan 26 2016 12:33am)
I think we had a thread about the whole "where did the universe come from" thread/discussion in Pard and it basically 2 camps:

a: God did it in 7 days

or

b: Big bang + 12 billion years

But I just think they're both completely ridiculous and the reality is probably something so bizarre it's probably beyond human comprehension.

Mindset of a creationist but with a bit of special snowflake added
Jan 26 2016 01:00am
Quote (card_sultan @ Jan 25 2016 06:48pm)

You literally have everything backwards.

Scientists are ultra aware of the limitations of theories.
Science knows there's more to the big bang
There's nothing to explain as to why we are out of plane with the galaxy.
You literally gave the worst description of the higgs boson I've ever heard
The planet, if discovered, proves the correctness of the theories. Not the other way.

There's literally no way to write a more incorrect post than what you just did.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
12315Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll