d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Draft Guide - Mld Light Trapper > D2:R
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,314.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 20 2024 09:41am

Ferdia's D2R MLD Light Trapper Guide

Table of Contents

1. Introduction to MLD

2. Introduction to Light Trapper's

3. Breakpoints

4. Items

5. Charms

6. Stash Items

7. Stats

8. Skills

9. GM Rules and Limitations

10. 1v1 PvP Strategy & Videos

11. Team Duels PvP Strategy & Videos

This post was edited by ferdia on Jun 20 2024 09:48am
Jun 20 2024 11:16am

1. Introduction to MLD

Mid-Level Dueling (MLD) is the level 49 dueling bracket, with Wind Druids allowed to level up to 65 to use Enigma. This bracket emphasizes Faster Run Walk (FRW) and skill/damage limitations similar to those in Euro PvP (EP) in Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (D2LOD) and the Polish League (DCL) in Diablo II: Resurrected (D2R). In MLD, only Sorceresses and Wind Druids are permitted to teleport. The ruleset is designed to ensure that every class has at least one competitive build capable of winning a 1v1 tournament. Tournaments and duels typically take place on the Europe Realm.

There are several builds at 49 that are naturally stronger then most other builds. Light Trapper is one of these stronger builds. All builds have their strengths and weaknesses, except for a Light Trapper. In D2LOD the delay of recast of Shadow Master and Dragon Flight meant that both skills could not be freely and repeatedly used. This meant that a Bowa was a natural counter to a Trapper. No More. With the changes to D2r - Larger screen size, no delay, increased trap damage, a MLD Light Trapper is pretty much awesome now with no anti-chars.

3. Breakpoints

FCR: 0, 8, 16, 27, 42, 65, 102, 174
IAS: 0, 5, 20, 42

While this guide suggests that we play 27FCR, you can make do with ZERO. In terms of IAS, specifically 45IAS, this is easily achieved via the runeword Armor Hustle (45IAS) and x1 IAS Jewel (or IAS in claw).

Jun 20 2024 01:09pm

4. Items

What Claw to use?

When it comes to Light Trappers its pretty straightforward: You will always be using Greater Talons only. No other claw base is viable. Greater Talon is -30% WSM, i.e. the Fastest Claw.

What Armor to use?

When it comes to Armors, there is only 1 armor worth mentioning: HUSTLE. It Grants: 65frw, 40ias, 10all res, 20FHR, +6 Evade, 50% slower stamina drain and 10 Dexterity. As MLD is FRW based, this is to MLD what Enigma is to HLD. The +Evade is utterly mental for most builds at MLD and its introduction in D2R has brought so much balance to MLD its crazy. There is only 1 situation where you would use a different armor (Shaftstop).

Helmet

1. Magic 3TRAP 30frw 2soc circlet. Use this if you cant find a good rare.
2. Rare 2TRAP 30frw 20fcr 80-90mana circlet.
You attain your 30FCR breakpoint via Circlet and Amulet, however as mentioned previously, you can live without 30FCR. You cant live without Mana though, so 2TRAP/30FRW/80-90Mana should be sought. You can socket your circlet with a 15ias/20mana Jewel (if you dont have IAS on Claw) or a Stat Jewel if you do have IAS on claw.

Armor

1. Hustle - This Item has changed the build from a very good build to an amazing build. FRW, IAS, Evade, it has everything you want and more. With this armor you have no Anti-Char.
I tend to always use Hustle.
2. Shaftstop - This Item could be used vs Paladins in 1v1 if you are having difficulties vs them.

Weapon

1. Greater Talon 2assa (or 3trap), 3Light Sentry, 1 Dragon Flight, 2 soc.
This is the claw that makes your build. You socket this with x2 Um Runes. If the Claw also has 10-40IAS it means you dont need to use an IAS jewel in Circlet/Shield (and you can either Facet or Rare Stat Jewel). Long term you want two claws like this. One with x2 Um Runes and One with x2 Facets (when you you dont DF (say, vs a Barb).
2. Malice Runeword with +3LS +DF +SM
This is a poor mans weapon, good enough to get you started on playing a Light Trapper at MLD.
3. 2nd Claw - 3Trap 3Light Sentry 3Weapon Block 2soc (x2 Facet 5/5 Die)
You will use this claw in the scenario's where you may dual wield.

Switch Slot

1. Insight 17Medi
I tend to always use this. Having a Large Mana Pool combined with Meditation is very very useful.
2. x2 +6 Fade Claws
I have been too lazy to get these.

Shield

1. Whitstans (x1 Facet 5/5 Die)
You will use whitstans almost always, noting you need max block in MLD duels and vs those classes that you dont need max block we have limited Assassins to Shield. (Because assassins are so strong).
2. Artisans Kite Shield of the Tiger (3soc, 30life) (x3 Facet 5/5 Die)
You will use this instead of a 2nd claw where dual claw is not permitted. This is slightly better then Lidless (x1 Facet 5/5 Die)

Amulet

1. 3Trap 10fcr
For when you want 30fcr
2. 3Trap 100Life
For when you want more life
3. 2Trap, 10fcr 50-60life, 80-90mana
For when you want better stats and all round utility (I recommend this always).
I tend to always use #3.

Gloves

1. FrostBurns.
You dont need FCR, you need mana (Mana Pots Banned). This is the Only Gloves for the Build.

Ring 1

Raven 20 Dex - You almost always want max block at MLD.
I tend to always wear 1Raven + 1 SOJ for all duels.

Ring 2

Stone of Jordan - +skills, +mana, what more can we ask for.
I tend to always wear 1Raven + 1 SOJ for all duels.

Belt

1. String of Ears 15MDR/15%DR
The only belt.

Boots

1. Waterwalks 65Life
Honestly I use these always.
2. Rare Wyrmhide Boots 30frw 9dex 40mana Dual Res
These can be used for style I guess ?

Resistance Gear

We have banned Burst of Speed at MLD and therefore we use fade. Which means, as duels are in normal, we have no real resistance issues.

This post was edited by ferdia on Jun 20 2024 01:15pm
Jun 20 2024 02:00pm

5. Charms

x8 Skillers 1Trap 30Life
x2 Skillers 1Trap 7FRW
x10 Small Charms 20life/17mana

Combined with Hustle, Waterwalks and a 30frw circlet this gives you 135FRW, Pretty much all we need (FRW Cap for GM Duels)

6. Stash Items

(a) 3 soc shield with x3 5/5 Light Facets (Die). This can be upgraded to 3soc 30Life + 3 5/5 Light Facets (Die)
(b) 2nd Claw with 3Traps, 3Light Sentry 2soc with x2 5/5 Light Facets (Die). This can be upgraded to +2 Assa + 3Weapon Block
(c) x2 Trap Skillers +1 Trap 30 Life and x2 small charms 20life/17mana (for when you can live without the FRW)

You will notice how you dont have to have alot of Stash Gear here.

7. Stats

Enough STR for Greater Talons
Enough Dex for Max Block
All the rest into Vita

8. GM Rules and Limitations

In D2r Patch 2.4 The casting Delay on Dragon Flight and Shadow Master was removed. In addition, Lightning Sentry lost one Synergy (Death Sentry) and instead the other two Synergies were buffed from 12% to 18% per level. All of these changes made Assassins at MLD amazing. So amazing in fact that we had to nerf the assassin as follows: Max 1 Point Charged Bolt Sentry. You will typically drop your remaining skill points into Fade now.

9. Skills

You should build around your claw. Your claw should have Dragon Flight, therefore:

1 in Claw Mastery
1 in Psychic Hammer
1 in Burst of Speed
1 in Weapon Block
1 in Cloak of Shadows
1 in Shadow Warrior
1 in MindBlast
1 in Venom
1 in Fire Blast
20 in Shock Web
1 in charged Bolt Sentry
20 in Light Sentry

All remaining points into Fade

Gold: 31,749.00
Jun 21 2024 03:38am
so, i decided to follow that guide and build myself a trapper ;)

since i didnt manage to get a claw with ias (its 2/3/1 2os gt), i wonder what other add on the ias jool i need to sock would be best?

simple ed to boost kick dmg?

or is ar a thing for kicks?

or just use some res on em?
Jun 21 2024 03:43am
Quote (maGeneSs @ Jun 21 2024 10:38am)
so, i decided to follow that guide and build myself a trapper ;)

since i didnt manage to get a claw with ias (its 2/3/1 2os gt), i wonder what other add on the ias jool i need to sock would be best?

simple ed to boost kick dmg?

or is ar a thing for kicks?

or just use some res on em?

20mana. 15ias/20mana jewel.

Fade gives you all the resistances you need.
Gold: 1,087.22
Jun 21 2024 03:47am
If you cast Shadow Master at level 8 and then it casts Fade on itself, then the Shadow Master becomes immune to elemental damage. I have a small tip that can not be considered arcane knowledge, but it can still be helpful. If you have at least "+1 to Shadow Master" on your main hand claw, you can precast Shadow Master in the second slot with Fade claws. If the Fade claws also have at least "+1 to Shadow Master," you'll automatically reach "+8 to Shadow Master" on the main hand claw slot

+3 to Shadow (2nd Slot Claw #1)
+3 to Shadow (2nd Slot Claw #2)
+1 SOJ
+1 to Shadow Master (2nd Slot Claw any)
Jun 25 2024 03:07am

1. Introduction to MLD

Mid-Level Dueling (MLD) is the level 49 dueling bracket, with Wind Druids allowed to level up to 65 to use Enigma. This bracket emphasizes Faster Run Walk (FRW) and skill/damage limitations similar to those in Euro PvP (EP) in Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (D2LOD) and the Polish League (DCL) in Diablo II: Resurrected (D2R). In MLD, only Sorceresses and Wind Druids are permitted to teleport. The ruleset is designed to ensure that every class has at least one competitive build capable of winning a 1v1 tournament. Tournaments and duels typically take place on the Europe Realm.

There are several builds at 49 that are naturally stronger then most other builds. Light Trapper is one of these stronger builds. All builds have their strengths and weaknesses, except for a Light Trapper. In D2LOD the delay of recast of Shadow Master and Dragon Flight meant that both skills could not be freely and repeatedly used. This meant that a Bowa was a natural counter to a Trapper. No More. With the changes to D2r - Larger screen size, no delay, increased trap damage, a MLD Light Trapper is pretty much awesome now with no anti-chars.

Gold: 508.00
Jun 25 2024 10:11am
Typo: "this is easily achieved via the runeword Armor Hustle (45IAS) and x1 IAS Jewel (or IAS in claw)."

Hustle gives 40ias
Jun 27 2024 01:24am
10. 1v1 PvP Strategy & Videos

Assa vs Bowa

With the changes in Patch 2.4 (instant Shadow Master recast and instant Dragon Flight recast), Assassins no longer need to fear Bowazons. The release of the Hustle Runeword in Patch 2.6 shifted the advantage even further, making Bowazons wary of Assassins. In this matchup, the Assassin actively hunts down the Bowazon. Use forward casting of Shadow Master to get close, set traps to lay the foundation, and employ Dragon Flight to close the distance. It's beneficial to have an Open Wound setup for this match.

Recast Shadow Master whenever it dies, ensure traps are in place before using Dragon Flight, and use Mind Blast to disorient the Bowazon. Continue to lay more traps and use Dragon Flight to maintain pressure on the Bowazon. If you run out of mana, break away to recover some mana, then dive back into the fight.

Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll