d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > The Fury Wolf > Melee Vs. Melee Pvp
Prev1656667686991Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 183.00
Nov 8 2021 06:12am
Quote (inkanddagger @ Nov 8 2021 12:34pm)
I think we’re going to have to try rounding the math differently to come up with the breakpoints, or just test in game with white weapons and shael runes until we can confirm. I haven’t been able to play this week, going back to the grind next week so maybe I’ll have some answers soon.

Yeah so I messaged Gel about it and he said either they patched it, skill IAS is capped but off-weapon IAS is not OR the Archon Staff is dealing correct damage at 4/4/4/4/7 but not showing it visually/animation looks differently between Cryptic Axe and Archon Staff.

Either way, with damages ranges, it is hard to test what is dealing more damage between eTomb and eBotD Archon. I took off all my gear (except skillers, torch, anni and Highlords, to get 74 IAS from Werewolf) and I was still oneshotting most stuff with both weapons. I will try vs a boss but might die.
Gold: 5.77
Nov 8 2021 06:27am
I doubt it’s animation. You could start up a metronome, synch it to a weapon, then try it with the other to hear if they match up.

If they patched it then nobody should be seeing faster breakpoints anymore. Can someone who has made them on single player confirm they still work e.g. ?

I suspect the math is just wrong and is being rounded wrong somewhere.

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Nov 8 2021 06:28am
Gold: 22,164.69
Nov 8 2021 06:29am
the easiest way to test it would be to record video with classic graphics enabled and then manually count frames of animations
I didn't know how it worked in LoD and I sure don't know how it works now in D2r with any number of undocumented changes
Nov 8 2021 06:30am
Quote (inkanddagger @ Nov 8 2021 01:27pm)
I doubt it’s animation. You could start up a metronome, synch it to a weapon, then try it with the other to hear if they match up.

If they patched it then nobody should be seeing faster breakpoints anymore. Can someone who has made them on single player confirm they still work e.g. ^goomshill?

I suspect the math is just wrong and is being rounded wrong somewhere.

That could be, but I was trying it with 55 gear ias while Gels calcs say I should get 4/4/4/4/7 with 30 gear IAS. I tested it out with all items that are giving me IAS one at a time and nothing is changing the animation. If 55 is not enough, then the BP is beyond that. That is a minimum of almost 20 IAS different than his calcs. Doesn’t seem like a rounding error.
Gold: 1,010.41
Nov 8 2021 10:10am
There are a few ways to test wolf ias. At least for the first (slower) frame, you can just set a timer for 20-30 seconds and count the number of swings. Do this several times, convert attacks/second to fpa and you will see things matching up.

Another way I tested is by timing how long it took my mana orb to go to zero standing still and holding shift+fury. Doing these two different methods gives consistent results for the first (slower) frame of fury.

I also wrote a python script with the EIAS cap removed (used to be 75) that calculates the fpa which has matched well with the tests I discussed above. All of these tests are with lvl 30 ww (73 skill ias)

With a 90ias tomb reaver (2x ed/ias jewels in there), if you get 85 off-weapon ias you hit 5/3/3/3/3 frame fury. This is easy to get with LoH+highlords+treachery.

If you have an act1 faith merc, you could get 5/3/3/3/3 frame fury with an eth gpa botd + LoH + highlords.

It's hard to test the subsequent swings after the first, but it all seems consistent to me.

Note here that the level of your werewolf is very important. It cannot be ignored when you are testing things out.
Nov 8 2021 10:35am
Quote (vertster123 @ Nov 8 2021 05:10pm)
There are a few ways to test wolf ias. At least for the first (slower) frame, you can just set a timer for 20-30 seconds and count the number of swings. Do this several times, convert attacks/second to fpa and you will see things matching up.

Another way I tested is by timing how long it took my mana orb to go to zero standing still and holding shift+fury. Doing these two different methods gives consistent results for the first (slower) frame of fury.

I also wrote a python script with the EIAS cap removed (used to be 75) that calculates the fpa which has matched well with the tests I discussed above. All of these tests are with lvl 30 ww (73 skill ias)

With a 90ias tomb reaver (2x ed/ias jewels in there), if you get 85 off-weapon ias you hit 5/3/3/3/3 frame fury. This is easy to get with LoH+highlords+treachery.

If you have an act1 faith merc, you could get 5/3/3/3/3 frame fury with an eth gpa botd + LoH + highlords.

It's hard to test the subsequent swings after the first, but it all seems consistent to me.

Note here that the level of your werewolf is very important. It cannot be ignored when you are testing things out.

Okay so what I am seeing could be the difference between 4/4/4/4/6 on a 90 ias eTomb with 30 gear ias vs 4/4/4/4/7 with an eBotD Archon Staff with 30 gear ias?

If so, how do I know it is not 5/5/5/5/7 what I am seeing? Does it skip from 5/8 immediately to 4/7?

Also, I am using level 35 Werewolf.

Do you perhaps have access to an Archon Staff that you can put some shaels in to mimic eBotD? I was using Bloodfist and Highlords with level 35 Wolf. Maybe you’re able to determine the speed more accurately.
Gold: 5.77
Nov 8 2021 10:37am
Quote (vertster123 @ Nov 8 2021 08:10am)

You should add it to a free website so we can try it. Or send it to me so I can make a tool.
Nov 8 2021 10:46am
Quote (tcpgeest @ Nov 8 2021 10:35am)
Okay so what I am seeing could be the difference between 4/4/4/4/6 on a 90 ias eTomb with 30 gear ias vs 4/4/4/4/7 with an eBotD Archon Staff with 30 gear ias?

If so, how do I know it is not 5/5/5/5/7 what I am seeing? Does it skip from 5/8 immediately to 4/7?

Also, I am using level 35 Werewolf.

Do you perhaps have access to an Archon Staff that you can put some shaels in to mimic eBotD? I was using Bloodfist and Highlords with level 35 Wolf. Maybe you’re able to determine the speed more accurately.

I've also done tests with a 6os naga with shaels. But yeah I'll keep an eye out for 6os archon staff (or any base with wsm 10) to explicitly test.

With your setup, you should be getting 7/4/4/4/4 fury. Note that if your wolf level were lvl 30 instead, it would be 7/5/5/5/5 frame. But yeah, like I said it's hard to test the subsequent swings since both of these cases give your first swing as 7frames. But I think you should be able to see the difference during gameplay between the two setups. To get a feeling for it, you could time chaos runs with the 5frame and chaos runs with the 4frame (just by removing a few skillers or something). Would have to do several (and time them from the entrance, not river wp). I think there should be a noticeable difference in clear time.
Nov 8 2021 10:52am
Quote (inkanddagger @ Nov 8 2021 10:37am)
You should add it to a free website so we can try it. Or send it to me so I can make a tool.

Code
from math import *

staff=17
#axe=19

wias = 90
wsm = 10
#this is for lvl30 ww
wolf_ias = 73

oias = 85

delay = floor(256.*(staff)/((wias-wsm+100.)*256/100.))
#delay = floor(256.*(axe)/((wias-wsm+100.)*256/100.))

#print ('delay = ',delay)

anim = floor(9*256./delay)
#print ('anim = ',anim)

speed = floor((120.*(oias+wias)/(120.+(oias+wias))) + wolf_ias -wsm)

#print ('speed = ',speed)

fpa_first = ceil(256.*13./((100.+speed)/100.*anim))-1
fpa_rest= ceil(256.*7./((100.+speed)/100.*anim))

print ('tomb reaver fpa = ',fpa_first,fpa_rest)

This post was edited by vertster123 on Nov 8 2021 10:54am
Nov 8 2021 11:07am
Quote (vertster123 @ Nov 8 2021 05:46pm)
I've also done tests with a 6os naga with shaels. But yeah I'll keep an eye out for 6os archon staff (or any base with wsm 10) to explicitly test.

With your setup, you should be getting 7/4/4/4/4 fury. Note that if your wolf level were lvl 30 instead, it would be 7/5/5/5/5 frame. But yeah, like I said it's hard to test the subsequent swings since both of these cases give your first swing as 7frames. But I think you should be able to see the difference during gameplay between the two setups. To get a feeling for it, you could time chaos runs with the 5frame and chaos runs with the 4frame (just by removing a few skillers or something). Would have to do several (and time them from the entrance, not river wp). I think there should be a noticeable difference in clear time.

The problem is with full gear on (I need at least a full inventory, HL and Jalals to get to level 35 Werewolf) any weapon I use that is 5 frame or better, one shots pretty much anything in Chaos in even an 8 player game. I have something like 14-19k screen damage with the eTomb.

I could take of everything besides weapon, IAS and + Skills but then I’d likely die pretty fast.

Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
Prev1656667686991Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll