d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Self Found Barb
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 396.00
Warn: 60%
Jun 6 2021 10:31am
Quote (gel87 @ 6 Jun 2021 16:30)
Well, barb can also wsm bug early on as frenzy and/or double throw builds.

This allows you to rather easy use decent wepons who would in reality May be to slow and stuff without wsm bugging.

Double throw and throw is sick early on, then later almost unbearable xD

Anyway, i love assas and barb, make use of all the game's bugs and feature and play around. Barb is ridicly slow from nm to hell though xD

Yeah i found that out too, throw and double throw is actually quite overpowered early.
Gold: 383.00
Jun 6 2021 01:30pm
Quote (Taurean @ Jun 6 2021 06:31pm)
Yeah i found that out too, throw and double throw is actually quite overpowered early.

Yepp, put on a slow hammer over gloves. (20wsm)
Put javs on main (cost 1 gold to rep) (-10wsm)

Wsm bug them:
(-10+20)/2+(-10-20) = -25 wsm.

Throwing mastery:
Acts twice on dmg bonus on single throw.
Lvl 1 throw mastery is 28%.

Stock jav is 10 average dmg.
Lets say 50str 20dex = (50+20)*0,75 = 52%

10 * (1+((52+28/100)) * 1,28 = 23 average dmg.

Later,
-20 wsm throw knife + slow jav for epic wsm speed and double throw.

U can also really early by 3soc long sword(-10wsm) + 3 soc hammer(20wsm).
Wsm bug them.
Put 3 ral in each from cuntess.
Use double swing until u get frenzy.

Plows true normal like a real plow.

Gold: 396.00
Warn: 60%
Jun 6 2021 02:16pm
Quote (gel87 @ 6 Jun 2021 21:30)

Wsm bug them:

Throwing mastery:

Later,

Wsm bug them.

Lol that's funny ^^ Nice.

Just for those not familiar with wsm bug: https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=36028208
Gold: 317.69
Jun 6 2021 07:01pm
Quote (Dr_Lecter @ Jun 6 2021 08:29pm)
To elaborate on my post, in my honest opinion 2 handed berserk barb with a point or a few into battlecry and maxed howl can go through the game relatively quickly.

Savage polearm recipe will give you good big damage until you get insight.

Then you just run countess for obedience runes and pits for a 5 socket thresher/cryptic axe, or do the cube rerolling trick for magic weapons. I do that last one all the time to get a study merc weapon for my trapsins and blizz sorcs, average amount it takes like 200 gems but i have gotten 250+ ED 2 socket with as few as five rolls, it's all rng.

20 IAS gloves provide a noticeable increase to attack speed and Farah sells war pikes and ghost spears which can be cube rolled to cruel. They can get up to 2 sockets as well, so 2 shael runes will have you zipping through enemies with like 8k zerk.

Peace armor is great for critical strike until you find a lem or hel lum fal.

Taunt is the single greatest 1 point wonder the barb has for nullifying ranged attackers.

I literally just howled through the entire game, took down elite monsters with battlecry for good experience (you dont do good AOE damage) and then made a run for act 2.

I killed hell andariel with battlecry and an insight bill. I only did 2k damage but it didnt matter, I had like 60% critical strike with peace and weapon mastery and battlecry makes hitting a non issue.

After acquiring a magic warpike by item shopping Farah in act 2, I did lower kurast runs and rolled it with flawless gems until I got 199 ED with 1 socket (didnt even get cruel 2 socket) and proceeded to destroy the rest of the game. Howl allows you to avoid all but the necessary fights, which you do have a range 4 or 5 weapon, battlecry, merc, and pots. The merc gets all your old weapons so it works out.

The cube rerolling trick works with chipped, standard and flawless, FYI.

Eventually I got my obedience thresher, guillames, treachery, ravenfrost, angelics, etc. Very capable 9k zerk damage.and a decentish 11 frame attack.

I remember back in the old days seeing, “ith” bow ur sword thinking it was greatest thing ever. Before those were cruel weapons and don’t remember if GF was around the same time.

Cruel CB with ss were for the rich then and that’s how you get them.

This post was edited by Tarisus on Jun 6 2021 07:02pm
Gold: 515.11
Jun 7 2021 05:14am
Yep.

The best part about CBs are that two shaels let's you hit the last whirl breakpoint, one handed or two handed. So if you manage to cheese your way through most of hell mode with two strength weapons or black knouts or something and double swing or frenzy, you can buy a magic CB from the act 4 vendor, roll till cruel with 2 sockets, shael it and be a sword and occasional board whirlbarb instead.

With any untwinked barb build the important skills are
1 pt taunt
As high level of howl as possible because you'll be severely under leveled if you're cheesing through the game
As high battlecry as possible because your attack rating will be trash.

These three allow you to pick the battles you want to fight. A level 26 battlecry for example makes you require zero attack rating to hit things.

The guy who suggested maxed leap might be on to something.
Jun 7 2021 11:19am
Quote (Dr_Lecter @ Jun 7 2021 07:14pm)
Yep.

The best part about CBs are that two shaels let's you hit the last whirl breakpoint, one handed or two handed. So if you manage to cheese your way through most of hell mode with two strength weapons or black knouts or something and double swing or frenzy, you can buy a magic CB from the act 4 vendor, roll till cruel with 2 sockets, shael it and be a sword and occasional board whirlbarb instead.

With any untwinked barb build the important skills are
1 pt taunt
As high level of howl as possible because you'll be severely under leveled if you're cheesing through the game
As high battlecry as possible because your attack rating will be trash.

These three allow you to pick the battles you want to fight. A level 26 battlecry for example makes you require zero attack rating to hit things.

The guy who suggested maxed leap might be on to something.

Hi Dr, I actually found a CS in act 3 with 279 ED!!! So CB is in Act 4, what about other weapons? I couldn’t open your link. I’ve used taunt and battle cry before. Is war cry useless? How do you use taunt? Mainly for ranged casters/archers? Can you use any mob and kite while your merc kills? Also can you use it to save your merc?

From what it seems, you can only reroll Blue weapons once as it sets the item to level 25, is that correct?

All in all, your post from the link is amazing, absolutely great info! Gold. I’m going to repost it here for others to see.

I’ve got a lot to ask but there’s so much info to dig through. I don’t want to overwhelm you with too much at once.

This post was edited by Tarisus on Jun 7 2021 11:27am
Jun 7 2021 12:37pm
Nice! You should be able to larzuk that and get 2 sockets. It might be a 50/50 chance though, theres a socketing article on arreat summit somewhere.

Certain vendors sell certain weapons. So Charsi sells no elite weapons, Farah sells war spikes, ghost spears, war pikes. Hratli sells berserker axes but it would take forever to get one off her so I dont bother tbh. Halbu sells CB, ca, thunder mauls, legendary mallets.

There is a calculator that used to exist, you'll have to use the internet wayback machine to use it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170503170454/http://members.iinet.net.au/~dcarson/shopcalc.html

You can reroll a magic item to get the Cruel mod (level 43 mod) with chipped gems as many times as you want so long as the Qlvl of the item is 75 or higher. Perhaps the Qlvl keeps the item level high enough to get cruel after using chipped gems, I do not remember exactly how that works, only that it does.

I save all my chipped, standard, and flawless gems and reroll magic items with qlevel 75+, the order you use them in doesnt matter.

Use the vendor calculator and the arreat summit to figure out which items you can buy from merchants in which act.

Qlevel is to the far right of the item on these pages.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/swords.shtml

So cb and CS both work as they are 75+, but balrog blade does because its qlvl 71.

Farah for example sells war spikes, which are somewhat decent weapons for like a frenzy barb and they're available in act 2 hell. She also sells war pikes and ghost spears, which make awesome merc weapons.

Warcry is fine to use, some people max it. I only really use it on singer barbs though since it doesnt synergize with anything and skill points are going to be tight. 5+ points in warcry wouldnt be a terrible idea though for some areas. I never found it to be necessary.

Taunt can go completely off screen so if you're in an area with tons of mobs you can slowly taunt them towards you one by one. Great for burning souls. Slow but safe.

Taunt will save your merc, so will battlecry and howl.

Here is a video on how to glitch your merc so enemies dont target him.

Although I found that battle orders and just the 1 point in shout made him super tanky. Berserk and double swing are interruptible so you'll want the meat shield lol.

https://youtu.be/Cin5y92UPio

Oh yeah, the act 5 potion vendor (forgot her name lol) sells weapons with +3 to war cries so you definitely want to pick up a set of those. She sells them as early as nightmare mode.

As a general rule I try to only put a point or two into weapon mastery and rely on battle cry or hsarus belt/boots, angelic combo, even 3 diamonds in a helm for attack rating early on. Respecs are going to be the most important things to save for barb, you might get lucky and find a bonehew or ik maul on hell meph, a perfectly viable whirlwind weapon.

This post was edited by Dr_Lecter on Jun 7 2021 12:57pm
Jun 7 2021 01:19pm
Quote (Dr_Lecter @ Jan 1 2020 08:27pm)
For untwinked play, I recommend either a double swing barb or a 2 handed berserk barb. Of course, you can also go with your concentrate barb. Double swing rules normal and nightmare mode though.

The double swing barb gets very little love compared to frenzy, but frenzy really only outshines it once the barb has dumped a ton of points into synergies, whereas double swing is completely effective after only 29 skillpoints (level 9 DS for zero mana cost, max Bash).

Double swing also grants an innate 50 IAS, so even bad weapons like a Black Tyrant club (only has 15 IAS on it) hit a 6.5 frame double swing (3.8 attacks per second). If you have a phaseblade as your primary weapon and anything else in the other hand, no onhand or offhand IAS you'll hit a 5.5 frame double swing.

Berserk is an obvious choice, as you could simply go with Double Swing in normal mode, switch to berserk in nightmare once you find the runes for an insight polearm, then farm nightmare countess until you find all the runes for Obedience. Then go mf in the pits for a 5 socket or plain thresher/cryptic axe and proceed to wreck the rest of the game with a weapon that has FHR, enchant, 30 res all, 40% crushing blow and 370% ED.

For your playthrough, you have a few options that don't require high end runewords.

The garbage runeword route

You could farm Countess in Normal for Steel, Malice, or a TalTalTal flail (just stack a ton of poison damage lol) and this will get you through early nightmare.

For nightmare mode, you'll want Strength weapons so farm nm countess (Amn Tir).

For hell mode, two Black weapons (Thul Io Nef) will work fine. 40% crushing blow and 120% ED is plenty, assuming you have at least one reasonably fast weapon and one big one (like a scourge and a legendary mallet). Your main source of damage after early Nightmare is going to be crushing blow, as double swing is quite fast.

Honor is also another notable choice if you happen to find a 5 socket weapon. Use it in your offhand as it grants no attack speed.

I'm not even going to include runewords like Oath, Crescent Moon or Lawbringer, although I do recommend you use them if you get lucky with Nightmare forge or rune drops in general.

The garbage unique weapon route

Prioritize find item and magic find, this one is pretty self explanatory. Google "weapons that hit the last whirlwind breakpoint" and if you happen to find a bonehew or an IK maul for example, shael it and respec to whirlwind.

Crappy weapons like headstriker can be awesome when they're upped. Same with Ribcracker, and mace mastery applies to it too. Granted, the runes aren't easy to get on your own, but if you get lucky with runedrops and unique items you might as well. Stuff like Butchers Pupil, headstriker, the vile husk, and plenty of other uniques are good candidates.

Take what you can get, this method is not reliable unless you really like magic finding with a character that relies solely on weapon damage and has no teleport. You'll probably end up running nightmare trav and mephisto until your eyes bleed.

This will help you figure out where the likelihood of uniques (and everything else) will drop, as you can't simply roll with Stealth armor, a 20 FCR wand and cast rings and just frozen orb your way through hell.

http://dropcalc.silospen.com/item.phphttp://dropcalc.silospen.com/item.php[/URL]

The magic weapon rerolling route

This one involves saving every single chipped, standard, and flawless gem you can find and cubing a weapon with a quality level over 75.

The arreat summit can help you find the weapon you're looking for for quality level.

A colossus sword, for example, has a quality level of 80 and can be shopped from act 3 Hratli. Shopping for your magic weapon is way faster than attempting to find one in the wild.

You need an item with a quality level of 75 with the chipped gem recipe in order to have an affix level of 51, which is required for the Cruel prefix (200-300% Enhanced Damage).

Here is the shopping calculator to find when and where those items can be shopped.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~dcarson/shopcalc.htmlhttp://members.iinet.net.au/~dcarson/shopcalc.html[/URL]

From the arreat summit.

3 Chipped Gems + 1 Magic Weapon = Socketed Magic Weapon
This adds sockets to a magic weapon. The original magic weapon properties will be removed (rerolled) when the new weapon is created. If you use this formula with a weapon that is not normally socketed such as a Javelin, this recipe will create a new magical weapon without any sockets. ilvl=25 magic weapon with 1-2 sockets.

I rolled this one the other day on single player. It wasn't the luckiest roll (cruel goes all the way up to 300% ED) but it gives you an idea of it's viability. My merc will be happy with it, at least.

https://i.ibb.co/X7s2Lw7/cruel-wep.png

Sure, it doesn't stack up to high end runewords but it's way better than any exceptional garbage unique you could have found in Nightmare, and a half decent roll even stacks up to elite uniques.

It's one more way to get a decent weapon and you could get lucky and get something like 280% ED with the Evisceration suffix (+60ish max damage).

The general idea is, once you find your magic item, you just pick up all the chipped, standard, and flawless gems and cube them with the weapon (3 chipped, standard or flawless). All three recipes do basically the same thing. If you want super easy mode you could just farm act 1 normal over and over again for chippies.

On my old zerker playthrough, once I rolled my cruel berserker axe of evisceration (2 sockets), I shaeled it and proceeded to zerk everything in my path all the way to hell Baal.

Here are some general tips

Battle cry, even 1 point in battle cry, makes boss fights so much easier.

Taunt turns Gloams and summoner monsters into a much smaller threat.

Howl is extremely useful for running areas like Countess, Mephisto, and chaos seal bosses and it makes a great panic button.

Identify every charm and prioritize the max damage ones. If you're in the neighborhood of 3 damage for small charm, 5 for large charm and 9 for grand charm, you're on the right track.

Keep every jewel with 15 IAS or 15 max damage on it, plenty of uniques spawn with sockets and it can be used to hit a critical breakpoint or beef up your damage.

Your build can change in the blink of an eye depending on what drops. If you happen to get a Bonehew, shael that sucker and go for Whirlwind. Google "weapons that hit the last whirlwind breakpoint" for the list, as this guide is already going to be quite long. Likewise if say, The Grandfather drops, you're going to go for Sword Mastery and use it in your offhand, you'd be a fool to waste that weapon.

For normal mode, Stealth armor is easy to get and it will last until Nightmare.

In nightmare mode, get Peace armor (for you and the merc) as it will grant Critical Strike. This skill stacks with your weapon mastery and even a modest amount of plus skills (lore, battle command, etc) will give you upwards 70% critical strike chance.

If you get a Lem from nightmare forge, make treachery. If you get Um, make duress. Any Lems or Ums after that get made into Lawbringer or Crescent Moon as they are awesome and hell viable. Phaseblades are highly recommended.

Use a might merc.

Once you hit nightmare act 5, start shopping malah for +3 to warcry weapons, These will be useful for not only battle orders, but find item as well.

Anya can be shopped for IAS gloves, which can help you hit a critical breakpoint. You likely won't have anything better for gloves unless you spent a lot of time farming nightmare Trav.

Here’s the post. Thank you for such quick reply above! I think I still have few questions but I will ask later as it’s really late where I’m at.

This post was edited by Tarisus on Jun 7 2021 01:19pm
Jun 7 2021 02:04pm
Quote (Tarisus @ Jun 7 2021 02:19pm)
Here’s the post. Thank you for such quick reply above! I think I still have few questions but I will ask later as it’s really late where I’m at.

No problem, happy to help.

I played through the entire game self found singleplayer with most classes and ironically melee Barb was the class I had the most fun with because it required the most amount of thought.
Jun 8 2021 01:12am
Quote (gel87 @ Jun 7 2021 03:30am)

Wsm bug them:

Throwing mastery:

Later,

Wsm bug them.

This opens up many options for early game which speeds up the killing. Sweetness! :thumbsup:
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll