d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo > Diablo 3 > D3 Discussion > 1.0.6 Tempest Rush Monk > By Sherkas
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,574.00
Dec 31 2012 01:42pm
Introduction
Heres the most fun Alk running build in my opinion. Its great, fast, and really entertaining! This is a review on my build, what it cost, and how it works, the pros and cons of it as well. This is my small journey into tempest rushing and what stats matter, and what doesnt.

Short keeps 3 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSZ101SX1K8
Rikkis Crossing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpMm81pMmcE

Gear Selection
Helm - Innas Radiance
Here you need a helm with of course the works. Using a full innas set isnt required but it makes it really easy.
You should look for a helm with:
100 dex
50 vitality
40 All resist/Single resist
5.0 CC
1.0 spirit regen

Budget: Innas
What I was using: Innas (2M)

Shoulders - Vile Wards
You cant go wrong and they really have everything. It just comes down to price tag.
100 Dex
50 Vit
75 All resist/single resist
200 armor *extra nice

Budget: Rare shoulders
What I was using: Vile Wards (12M)

Amulet - Rare
You need DPS and this is a great place to get Life on Hit if your short.
CC
CD
All resist/Single resist
*Extra Life on hit here

Budget: Rare
What I was using: Dex/vit/cold/cc/cd (9.5M)

Chest - Innas Vast Expanse
Requirement. Its needed for the regen/set effects so get the best you can here. Stats are rather limited but you can either use dex gems or vit gems to make up gaps here.
Dex
Vit
Life

What I was using: Innas (10M)

Gloves - Sages
This is another DPS slot. Maximize DPS/resists here if needed.
All resist/Single resist
CC
CD

Budget: Rare gloves
What I was using: Sages Gesture ( Dex/Vit/Armor/Cold/CC/CD) (1M)

Bracers - Rare
Another slot for DPS/Life/Extras
CC
CD
All resist/Single resist

Budget: Rare
What I was using: Rare

Legs - Innas Temperance
Requirement, not much available here. Gives movement speed so this item CANNOT be replaced by something else (unless you can make up 24% some other way)
All resist/Single resist
Dex
Movement speed

What I was using: Innas

Boots - Nats Bloody footsteps
As a requirement, this build requires movement speed. Your boots give you this.
Dex
Vit
All resist/single resist
Movement speed

Budget: Several boots (Firewalkers/Rares/Nats) Most are 1M or less
What I was using: Nats (2M)

Rings - Hellfire/Rare
This is a great choice area. My build wanted not just tempest rushing but max EXP too.
Ring1: Hellfire (has 200 LoH), Dex as well.
Ring2: DPS/Life

I was using a Nats ring (recent purpose) and it actually isnt the greatest choice but works. Here you have 1 ring slot to fill any life/resist gaps or DPS.
I would recommend the classic CC/CD first and then any life/resist if your short. If you meet a good resist value, then just pump the DPS via more dex or by just getting a ring like nats (bonus on 2 pieces = more crit)

Budget: Rare rings
What I was using: Nats ring (7M) *Not a good choice but I recommend a cheaper better item. I only use this because im too lazy to get a specific ring for this build.

Weapon - Skorn
Here is what makes it. You need damage to kill and something cheap. skorn.
High base
Dex
Vit
Crit
Open socket

Get the best possible combination. Mine was: 1330 base, 300 dex, 250 vit, 180 Crit chance with an open socket. It was priced at 4.5M. In my opinion dont cheap out here, get your 5M or less skorn first and build your gear around it.
Budget: None, get a good 5Mish skorn.
What I was using: 4.5M Skorn (with an 100% CD gem (80% is great and cheap here)).

Gear Summary:
This build requires a few things, movement speed is one of them. Its not a must but this is a speed build, why would you do it and go slow? You need to be 24% (2 items) to really fly.
You can build this for pretty cheap and after a few runs on my budget build it worked GREAT! So then I spent some more money and it works even better. So while doing upgrades its allowed to see what items had the most impact.
A budget build should be around: 20M
My personal build was closer to 55M and let me say it again, most of it wasnt needed. Its adding 50 more dex to boots and costing an extra 5M. Not needed but shows what a "average" build costs versus a budget.

Stats:
Certain things must be met. If you dont, you will die and hate the build. Ive gone from, poor trying to do it and dieing every 3 mobs to now where I can do about 70M+ exp an hour with ease.
In this section, if you meet ALL minimums, you should be able to tempest rush. However if you dont its going to be hell and thats what im trying to point out. I personally hit close and almost all recommended and its easy. Going lower in any of these
really makes it hell and you will notice it.

Movement speed:
You cant skimp here. Its a speed build.
Minimum: 24%
Recommended: 24%
What I have: 24%

Armor:
More is best here. Hulking beasts will never let you forget how important armor is.
Minimum: 3500
Recommended: 4000
What I have: 3800

Resists:
Everything from attacks, to elites will be handled here. I run with 640 all resist and I cant say I have a problem with it (could be better though yes).
When I was about 500 arcane killed me, mortar killed me, plagued could almost kill me. It just wasnt enough but was really close. Life on hit can also compensate for alot of missing resist.
Minimum: 500 all
Recommended: 600 all
What I have: 640 all

Damage:
If you cant kill anything, whats the point? A skorn should be easy to hit 100k base or really close. As long as you arnt dieing, and killing reasonably fast your good to go.
Minimum: 100k Character base
Recommended: Higher then 100k base.
What I have: 110k

Dodge:
A monks life line.
Minimum: 30%
Recommended: 40%
What I have: 41%

Life:
More the better. Dont get one shot and your alright.
Minimum: 28k
Recommended: 35k
What I have: 36k

CC:
You need to deal damage and you need crits to sustain your inner winds.
Minimum: 30%
Recommended: 40%
What I have: 40%

LOH/LS:
This can make up for your resists/armors being below minimum however if you get one shot, this will not save you.
Minimum: 300 LoH
Recommended: 500 LoH
What I have: 430

Spirit Regen:
You need to tempest forever otherwise there is no point.
Minimum: 12/s
Recommended: 14/s
*See below about this.

How it works/Pros and Cons:
Heres my short explaination on how tempest rush works and my build. This is a speed build designed to net you more EXP/Hour then any other builds for paragon leveling. You should be in MP0 and of course, not dieing and killing as fast as possible. With my recommended build im doing about 75M per hour on most runs. I could go EXTREMELY faster if I upgraded my weapon to kill faster. You cannot die in this build. Like any runs, dieing loses time and the few things your the worst at are:

Cons:
-Always close to being 1 shotted by maniaks/other things
-Cost (Not cheap at 20M for starter characters)
-Specific gear that doesnt really shine in other situations

Pros:
-TONS of EXP
-Exciting and insanly fun.
-Looking like a boss.

You really need to get a good skill choice too which there are a few out there but what I found the most important is your spirit regen. I started my build at 10/s with gear and found out you CANT heal or use invul because you never gain more spirit and so sooner then later you stop tempest rushing and have to regen spirit. TOTALLY A BUMMER for this. I recommended a MINIMUM 12/s which can net you a stop once maybe twice in a game on heavy heals/invuls. I personally run with about 14.5 spirit regen and I never need to stop or look at not using so many heals/invuls. Now the way to get this is:

1.0+ on helm, inna set bonus: 0.33, Mantra healing aura (3), passive with auras (2), guardians(35%), templar mercanary (12%), inner storms (3).
Total: 9.5 (with 47% more) = ABOUT 14/s. My helm has about 1.4 so it puts me over 14s/s.

I think its vital to have a high spirit regen. They dont tell you, but for budget builds you WILL BE HEALING AND INVULING ALOT so it costs more mana... so you need to regen MORE then 10/s otherwise your just a trophy and not practical. Its also easy to get this so just do it.

Skills:
1. Tempest Rush - Tailwind (Cmon, tell me your surprised).
2. Sweeping winds - Inner Storm (Need the 3 spirit regen here)
3. Serenity - Your choice (I use +1 second here). Because stuff gets rough sometimes... and with a bargin build, this happens more then you want to admit.
4. Mantra of Healing - Circular Breathing ( need the 3 spirit regen here )
5. Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap (Best single target/spirit regener for elites, however use what you feel is best here).
6. Breath of Heavens - Blazing Winds (Heal + Dmg)

Passives:
One with everything (Because cheap builds need to single resist/all resist)
Guardians Path (extra spirit regen. IT CAN BE SWAPPED OUT but it risks your spirit running dry)
Chant of Resonance (Mantras add +2 spirit regen)

Now that ive explained everything, I might update this but thats my short guild on this build. I love it, and plan to keep it around so enjoy and ask any questions. Watch a few videos and please understand, im not the best however this is my build, my journey getting here and what ive found that works. Im tempest rushing today and making 75M exp an hour. If you want to copy me, read this. If you can do it better, great let us know what you changed so we can all win.

TL:DR
20M Budget, 24% movement speed, 3500+ armor, 500 all resist, 100k base, 40% dodge, 28k hp, 40cc, 400 loh, 14s/s works.

This post was edited by sherkas on Dec 31 2012 01:46pm
Gold: 9.27
Dec 31 2012 02:13pm
Hey.

I've been Multiboxing 4 TR Monks for a month now (200 hours and another 200 with my mainchar before multiboxing), this looks pretty similiar what i had when just soloing TR gear.

Some basics behind the Spirit cost / Attacks Per Second could be added so people know how to buy their spirit gen items and place their passives.

So Tempest Rush uses spirit 10x APS / second, so if your APS is 1.2, Tempest Rush will then use 12 spirit / second. So it's good to maximize attack speed too, it helps killing things a lot, when it tics more often, when passing through enemies.

And if it's not about budget, then i suggest to buy 2.3+ Regen SoJ and 2.3+ Inna's hat and use only spirit generation passives + fleet footed.

This is how my 4 Monks important skills are:

Progress profiles might not be updated, tried to press the update, but doesn't update them.

#1 Monk
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/juhazzz-2105/IsoLerssi/9835569

Mantra of Conviction - Submission
Sweeping Wind - Inner Storm
Seven Sided Strike - Fulminating Onslaught (elites 1 shotted, no Serenity needed)

#2 Monk (Using Xephirian Amulet with 2.25 Spirit regen)
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/kovamaila-2479/hero/22938607
This one's acting like "support" role in the team, giving Overawe for the party and keeping spirit up, thanks to Xephirian.

Mantra of Conviction - Overawe
Sweeping Wind - Blade Storm (clearly the fastest killing speed)
Seven Sided Strike - Fulminating Onslaught (elites 1 shotted, no Serenity needed)

#3 Monk
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/isoletku-2184/hero/22938576

Mantra of Healing - Circular Breathing
Sweeping Wind - Blade Storm

#4 Monk
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/juhatoon1-2683/hero/22938418

Mantra of Healing - Circular Breathing
Sweeping Wind - Blade Storm

This post was edited by juhazzz on Dec 31 2012 02:31pm
Gold: 50.00
Dec 31 2012 03:22pm
really great guide with a lot of details

2 things:

- you forgot the belt

- for budget a single resi inna is great but if you want to improve you should know that vita on inna's is the best random affix for pure EHP. I know high vita are expensive but at least you have a goal for further gearing
Gold: 10,445.00
Dec 31 2012 03:32pm
nice
i am gonna make one and try it out
looks fun
Gold: 8,574.00
Dec 31 2012 04:01pm
Good call Juhazzz, I tried the seven strike and think its nearly better in every situation. Definitely made me kill elites MUCH faster.

Also I did forget the belt, ill update later for that and thanks for the comments. Adding a "future" best build would be nice too like you said bouzigue, then you could atleast have something to build towards after a "low" setup.

forgot to mention as im not perfect at writing... Add a EXP gem into your helm.

The build does do a hellfire/exp gem for max exp AND makes a TR build work. That was the goal for me atleast. Also I renamed everything "rakkis crossing" when really i meant bridge of korsikk

This post was edited by sherkas on Dec 31 2012 04:02pm
Gold: 39,010.50
Jan 1 2013 06:00am
hello!

This is my TR monk : http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/LoLbastard-1632/hero/22847037

Im trying to make this more MP1 viable build. So i need more dmg to kill mobs faster. I think easiest way is chancing mantra of healing to mantra of conviction. But my Spirit reg is dropping too much, i have now 12/sec. What is cheapest place to get more spirit reg. Also it would be funny that i can chance Chant of Resonance for fleet footed. What u succes to improve my monk?
Gold: 3,784.01
Jan 1 2013 06:35am
Really nice thread. Thank you Sherkas! :)

I am just back to D3 from a half-year break and had 10 mils sitting on my bank and thought it would be fun trying this Tempest Rush build out so I started equipping my Paragon 0 Monk (previously ran wizard most of the time).

As I only had 10 mils I went for even more budget buys than you suggested and below was my shopping list (you said no budget on weapon but if you need something to start with before you get Skorn I think my choice works out for A1-A2 while farming the 5 mil for Skorn):

Helm: 150k - Innas Radiance
Necklace: 0k - Spirit of Adventure (took it from my DH since I had it bought half a year ago and the set bonus is nice even tho the neck itself isnt)
Shoulders: 750k - Rare with Dex, Vit, All res, Single res
Chest: 2.9 mil - Innas Vast Expanse
Gloves: 0k - Rare with Dex, Single res, cc, cd (had these)
Bracers: 250k - Rare with Dex, All res, Single res, cc
Belt: 900k - Inna's Favor
Legs: 3.5 mil - Innas Temperance
Boots: 0k - Rare with Dex, Vit,12 % movement speed (had these)
Ring 1: 0k - Wanderlust (an extra 7% run speed cant hurt right? so I took this from my DH too, set bonus +100 vit and 50% cd)
Ring 2: 200k - Dex, Vit, All res, Single res
Weapon: 200k - Inna's Reach

Total budget: 8.85 mil

Then as this dont meet all your minimum requirements I have to be a little safer in the skill choices and lose out a bit on speed:

1. Tempest Rush - Slipstream

and I definately need to stick with the spirit regenning main attack:

5. Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap (Best single target/spirit regener for elites, however use what you feel is best here).
Gold: 3,784.01
Jan 1 2013 09:29am
Oh and in my crappy gear I find it easier to go with the passive Exalted Soul instead of Chant of Resonance...
Gold: 241.00
Jan 1 2013 11:36am
Quote (bouzigue @ 31 Dec 2012 22:22)
really great guide with a lot of details

2 things:

- you forgot the belt

- for budget a single resi inna is great but if you want to improve you should know that vita on inna's is the best random affix for pure EHP. I know high vita are expensive but at least you have a goal for further gearing

If vita on Inna's is too expensive for your budget, and you're not using OwE (and you shouldn't use it on MP0/1), some extra radius pickup works wonderfully . I got my last +radius Inna's piece yesterday and it's glorious!
Gold: 3.00
Warn: 10%
Jan 1 2013 12:41pm
You guys are all crazy not to be using Cyclone with your sweeping wind. It's pretty much the best skill a monk has...
Go Back To D3 Discussion Topic List
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll