d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev19039049059069072039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,551.68
Jun 26 2011 11:15pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jun 26 2011 10:54pm)
Hey man...

okay if you are doing a hyper+cutting combo...you would want the following (remember to keep these in the SAME ORDER that I give them to you)
All exercises will be 3 sets of failure reps, gradually INCREASING weight with each set. 20-30 seconds rest between sets unless specified otherwise.

Mon - Legs - BB Squats (5 sets, first 3 pyramid up in weight, second 2 will be breakdown failure rep format), DB lunges (keep weight the same here), Leg Press (1 minute rest here), leg extensions, laying leg curls
Tues - Chest - DB Bench Press (5 sets, first 3 pyramid up in weight, second 2 will be breakdown failure rep format), Incline DB Bench Press, Incline DB Flies, Cable Crossovers (7 reps high, 7 reps mid, 7 reps low - 21 reps at maximum possible weight with good form - 3 sets), pec deck (GOOD FORM), DB pullovers (focus on chest here), and if you don't feel fatigued enough...burn out with a failure set of incline pushups.
Weds -  OFF
Thurs - Back/cardio/abs - Straight Leg Deadlift (5 sets, all 5 will pyramid up in weight, 1 minute rest between sets, try to maintain the 8-12 rep max weight range the whole time like 12-11-10-9-8), Bent over BB rows, Lat Pulldowns (close grip), Lawnmower Rows (GOOD FORM HERE!), Reverse Pec Deck, T-Bar Rows or seated cable rows to finish (close grip). Cardio = HIIT 20-30 mins, and abs = 20 mins ab instinct training (basically 20 mins of as many ab exercises at maximum capacity that you can do with as little rest as possible).
Fri - Shoulders - Seated Military Press (5 sets, first 3 pyramid up in weight, second 2 will breakdown failure rep format), DB Shoulder presses, DB front raises, DB lat raises, BB shrugs (5 sets, all pyramid up in weight, 30 seconds rest between sets, maintain 6-12 rep range w/ max weight possible for those reps), DB shrugs (good form!!).
Sat - Arms - Olympic bar preacher curl (3 sets pyramiding up with 30 seconds rest between sets, try to get into the 4-8 rep range with very slow decline and explosive incline), close-grip e-z bar curl, seated incline bench alternating db curls (good form!), straight-seated hammer curls (good form and slow decline), high cable curls (make sure you fail hard on the last set!!), Close grip weighted dips (5 sets of 8-12 reps maximum weight pyramiding up in weight with each set - 30-60 seconds rest between sets), tricep cable pulldowns (rope preferred or v-bar), laying skullcrushers, bent over DB tricep kickbacks, close grip smith bench press (make sure your hands are only about 4-7 inches apart and perform 3 sets of maximum weight for around 8-10 reps FAILING with each set!!!)
sun - REST

enjoy!

oops i meant to put cardio and ab work on my wednesday, but I think I get the picture

Only 3 sets to failure for each exercise unless otherwise specified?

around what reps should I aim to be failing?
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jun 26 2011 11:25pm
Quote (Honestly @ Jun 27 2011 01:15am)
oops i meant to put cardio and ab work on my wednesday, but I think I get the picture

Only 3 sets to failure for each exercise unless otherwise specified?

around what reps should I aim to be failing?

always try to stick around 8-12...if you do less, that's fine, just make sure you are REALLY trying and failing. If you get more, you probably need to go heavier.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jun 26 2011 11:25pm
hey quick question

does calories from food actually do anything for your body? so like, if i eat 1000 calories worth of food from all good high nutrient type sources just really low in calories, will that have a negative impact on my health? because 1000 calories is low right would my body go into starvation mode or what?

like does the number of calories you take in actually matter even if your eating alot of food like fruits / veggies
Jun 26 2011 11:39pm
Quote (EverNineAfter @ Jun 27 2011 01:25am)
hey quick question

does calories from food actually do anything for your body? so like, if i eat 1000 calories worth of food from all good high nutrient type sources just really low in calories, will that have a negative impact on my health? because 1000 calories is low right would my body go into starvation mode or what?

like does the number of calories you take in actually matter even if your eating alot of food like fruits / veggies

Yes the number of calories matters.

Calories are what gives our body energy to survive...without enough we go into starvation mode and the body will start to eat both fat and muscle to sustain itself. In addition, most body functions are weakened to accommodate the lack of incoming energy.

google BMR calculator and find how much your body needs on a daily basis...then add all the extra exercise you do on top of that. if you have a BMR of 2,000 and you do 500 cal worth of exercise a day...you are burning 2,500 cals a day. Therefore for fat loss you'd want 2,000 cals a day intake...for a total deficit of 500 cals a day....or 3,500 cals a week...or 1 lbs of fat + 1 lbs of water per week total.
Gold: 1,551.68
Jun 27 2011 12:58am
how do you feel about all this "IF" intermittent fasting BS?
Gold: 75.00
Jun 27 2011 02:04am
I'm sure everyone experiences this, but I want to know the cause. Sometimes when I'm 50% to 75% asleep, I snap back awake as though a reflex, with a kick of an arm or leg. Do you know why this happens? I've always wondered since I was a child. Sometimes, I feel like I'm falling or maybe somethign scary is about to happen, a knife above to drop on my bare feet or something like that causes me suddenly to have a sudden reflex when I'm almost asleep.
Gold: 400.00
Jun 27 2011 11:16am
i need some help again..please.

I have just had my shifts changed in work and now i have to work 8am-5pm and no longer have my 4on 4off shift pattern, and i was thinking of going to the gym for maybe 1hr 20mins in the morning before i go into work as my gym opens @ 6:30am so if i was to get up and have breakfast/snack @ 6am what would you reccomend to have 30mins before i get in the gym?? I normally have a whey shake when i get up anyway so just somthing to go with this (fruit/eggs/cereal/toast ect)...after i finish in the gym i would probs have another whey shake and protein bar/flapjack to see me over because when i get in work at 8am my first break would be at 10 am and i dont really wanna wait 4 hours from my meal at 6am before the gym...

Hope you understand what im on about lol it almost confused myself while typing.

Thanks.
Jun 27 2011 11:17am
Quote (Honestly @ Jun 27 2011 02:58am)
how do you feel about all this "IF" intermittent fasting BS?

It is TOTAL BS.

I am sick of hearing people preach about it. They genuinely have absolutely no biological/anatomical/nutritional background whatsoever.

They see someone use it to great "success" and they consider that it must be the be-all-end-all best diet on the planet. This is a common fallacy. When you see something work for ONE person, many people automatically believe it will work for them. This can be said about literally thousands of diets and general quackery. However that also doesn't mean the "intermittent fasting" approach is bad for EVERYONE....it just means it's not universally good and acceptable for everyone.

The core ideas are here:

1. If you are a hardgainer and have a tendency to be lean, Intermittent fasting will indeed keep you lean, there is NO doubt about it. If you have a tendency to gain fat, intermittent fasting may or may not allow you to lose fat, however it also will slow your metabolism even further and potentially cause muscle loss during the fasting periods.

2. Intermittent fasting is more of a fat loss solution vs a muscle building/maintaining while fat burning solution (like keto). Essentially intermittent fasting follows the age old approach of fat loss - starvation. The body can not utilize maximum macros and calories in such a short period of time and then be expected to survive off of stored fat alone. The body will catabolize everything...muscle/fat and also start slowing down natural processes of the body as part of conservation attached with being in a period of starvation.

3. If Intermittent Fasting really was the be-all-end-all....then all the BB greats like jay cutler, markus ruhl, ronnie coleman, and so forth would all be IF'ing. They are NOT. They also openly talk about keeping calories lower on non-workout days vs workout-days...this is absolutely true and also obvious and not even close to intermittent fasting. Even all natural BB'ers in the pro-circuit (few and far between) will refute all claims about intermittent fasting being the best choice out there. The body needs nutrition...but the body also needs exercise.

4. On days when you simply are not going to exercise, the caloric intake must be 500 less than your BMR in order to guarantee continued fat loss. Also all macros need to be in check, 1g/lb bodyweight protein or more, less carbs at night, slow protein before bed, and so forth. On workout days, calories need to be 500 less than TOTAL burned (bmr+ exercise) for that day for fat loss. They can also be up to 500 over your BMR+exercise and still see no fat gain if macros are manipulated properly.

5. Intermittent fasting is basically the lazy-man's way out to having to diet properly from using keto and/or true caloric and macro manipulation. I look at these supposed "bodybuilders" who believe in IF...and quite frankly I am not impressed. They can claim to be natural...they aren't. They also are extremely lean, but also not even close to the muscularity of the pro-circuit of today...let alone the pro-circuit of the 1960s lol.

6. Lastly, there is the issue of longterm health. The human body is not meant to constantly be thrown into starvation mode and then back into "fed" mode. People argue that our ancient ancestors had that mode....well this is possible, but our ancient cave-dwelling ancestors also barely survived past 30 for a plethora of reasons. The human body has evolved to be fed at semi-regular intervals throughout the day. To strip it of that basic fundemental is a recipe for all sorts of unwanted and potential medical problems not limited to: Hypothyroidism, various diseases, various cancers, Alzheimer's disease/dementia, and so forth. All of these are POSSIBILITIES of constantly manipulating the body to go back and forth from starvation mode to "fed" mode.

many people will question my research and sources...I will tell you this - spend some time on google scholar and come to your own conclusions. Fortunately for me, this is my field and what I study and what I know. I have been there, done that, and tried virtually every popular diet/routine imaginable. I just hope that everyone on here has enough sense to do some research on their diets/routine before they set it in stone and begin a long journey of something potentially dangerous just because they see another people doing it to [some] success.
Jun 27 2011 11:19am
Quote (MegaVovaN @ Jun 27 2011 04:04am)
I'm sure everyone experiences this, but I want to know the cause. Sometimes when I'm 50% to 75% asleep, I snap back awake as though a reflex, with a kick of an arm or leg. Do you know why this happens? I've always wondered since I was a child. Sometimes, I feel like I'm falling or maybe somethign scary is about to happen, a knife above to drop on my bare feet or something like that causes me suddenly to have a sudden reflex when I'm almost asleep.

Yes. I too have this same issue. It is a very common neurological response. Usually this happens when you are not tired enough to sleep, or when your mind is still focused on things but your body wants to get rest.

The best bet for this is to truly take the time to relax your mind before bed...or simply totally exhaust it. The methods by which you should do these will differ based on the person. Maybe you need to read some very extensive literature before bed. Maybe you need to meditate before bed. Perhaps you could do some math problems before bed. You see where I'm going with this lol.

For me, the best thing was simply studying before bed. This always put my mind to sleep and helped eliminate the neurological responses to pre-sleep.
Jun 27 2011 11:21am
Quote (StuOwen86 @ Jun 27 2011 01:16pm)
i need some help again..please.

I have just had my shifts changed in work and now i have to work 8am-5pm and no longer have my 4on 4off shift pattern, and i was thinking of going to the gym for maybe 1hr 20mins in the morning before i go into work as my gym opens @ 6:30am so if i was to get up and have breakfast/snack @ 6am what would you reccomend to have 30mins before i get in the gym?? I normally have a whey shake when i get up anyway so just somthing to go with this (fruit/eggs/cereal/toast ect)...after i finish in the gym i would probs have another whey shake and protein bar/flapjack to see me over because when i get in work at 8am my first break would be at 10 am and i dont really wanna wait 4 hours from my meal at 6am before the gym...

Hope you understand what im on about lol it almost confused myself while typing.

Thanks.

Hey there.

I would recommend having the morning whey shake along with a bowl of oats w/ a good amount of fruit. That will provide you the necessary carbs to conquer your morning workout.

Post workout I would recommend the whey shake again, along with some slow acting carbs.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev19039049059069072039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll