d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev188899091922039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Feb 23 2009 01:55am
Quote (CuteKoala @ Mon, Feb 23 2009, 03:22am)
hey, i've been wondering about something..

is it better to take a post-workout shake immediately after you're done with training, or is it better to wait about one hour and then have it?

Depends....if you do cardio, take BCAA's and wait 30 minutes.

if you are just lifting, do it IMMEDIATELY afterward.
Feb 23 2009 02:20am
I AM POSTING THIS ANONYMOUS PM CONVERSATION TO HELP ANY OF YOU WITH A PROBLEM THAT IS SIMILAR!

Quote (Anonymous @ Sun, Feb 22 2009, 09:22pm)
I have a few questions about losing weight.

Currently I'm 5'8 at 220 pounds. I need to lose about 50 pounds.

Right now I usually just have some V8 Splash in the morning, a sandwich or something at lunch, and whatever my family eats for dinner. I usually go to the gym after school, and do about 45-50 minutes of cardio, which usually burns around 500 pounds. I also do some arm/leg machines.

Do you have any tips that will help me lose weight quicker? Should I eat a big breakfast, and eat a light dinner?

Thanks for the help.

Does sleep factor in at all with weight loss?

I usually get 8 hours, but sometimes I'm still tired all day besides right after I work out.  Maybe I'm not eating right, or getting too little sleep, or too much.  I don't know.

Hello!

Here's what you need...

Diet -

30-40g Carbs per day, 350g protein, 100g good fats. total of 2,100 cal / day

Meals like this: (Eat every 2-3 hours...you MUST)

Meal 1 (ONLY CARBS OF THE DAY) - 1 cup oatmeal, 3 eggs, bacon, half banana, coffee/tea

Meal 2 - 2 cans of tuna on top of a salad w/ oil and vinegar (mayo is fine to use with tuna)

Meal 3 - 1 large steak with broccoli + butter

meal 4 - Chicken Breast with String Beans and 1 avocado

meal 5 - Sliced Turkey and Cheese (low sodium if possible) with Mixed nuts

meal 6 - 1 cup cottage cheese with mixed nuts

Diet Notes:::

DO NOT EAT ANY SUGAR OR CARBS EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST MEAL OF THE DAY

EAT ALL VEGETABLES EXCEPT FOR CARROTS, PEAS, CORN, or POTATOES

DRINK ICE WATER OR COFFEE/TEA ALL DAY (NOTHING ELSE) AT LEAST 1.5 GAL WORTH!

YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE ANY VEGGIE/MEAT AT ANY MEAL - JUST KEEP PROTEIN/FAT CONTENT IN ORDER.

GOOD FATS TO EAT = Avocado, Fish, Vegetable and Olive Oils, Dairy, Nuts, Peanut Butter, EFA Supplements, Eggs.

Exercise Plan -

Monday - Chest/abs + 30 mins cardio (BIKE)

Tuesday - Back/calves + 30 mins cardio (eliptical)

Wednesday - Shoulders/forearms/abs + 30 mins cardio (treadmill)

Thursday - Legs/calves + 30 mins cardio (BIKE)

Friday - Arms (bis tries and forearms) + 30 mins cardio (eliptical)

Saturday - 60 minutes of cardio (any choice)

Sunday - OFF

EXERCISE NOTES:::

Look to complete roughly 30 sets during each workout (approx 2.5 hours including cardio)

Take no more rest than 60 seconds between sets, and 3 minutes between exercises.

Drink or pop BCAA's during your exercise routine.

Make sure to stretch and flex muscles between sets.

Every 2 weeks, you can have a cheat day where you eat anything you want...as long as you eat every 2-3 hours.

That means at the end of 13 days of your diet....you can cheat on the 14th day.

This is the single best plan for weight loss in excess of 30 lbs.

As far as sleep goes, make sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night...the more sleep the better....any less than 8 hours and you risk hurting your metabolism.

I am going to post this on the forums but keep you anonymous.

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Feb 23 2009 02:20am
Gold: 4,451.51
Feb 23 2009 06:14pm
Hi,

Kind of a basic, stupid question. Is there any reason to get the Optimum BCAA in addition to having a Whey protein? On the breakdown of the ON Whey, it seems to have all of the same amino acids (and then quite a bit more) in the same amounts. I noticed that on the BCAA product, it had the "L" infront (ie: l-leucine), whereas, on the ON Whey, it didn't (or atleast didn't specify it). Does that make either more absorbable for the body?

Would it be good to have the Whey post workout, and the BCAA's (along with some simple carbs) pre/during workout?

Thanks
Feb 23 2009 08:53pm
Quote (impulsepainter @ Mon, Feb 23 2009, 08:14pm)
Hi,

Kind of a basic, stupid question. Is there any reason to get the Optimum BCAA in addition to having a Whey protein? On the breakdown of the ON Whey, it seems to have all of the same amino acids (and then quite a bit more) in the same amounts. I noticed that on the BCAA product, it had the "L" infront (ie: l-leucine), whereas, on the ON Whey, it didn't (or atleast didn't specify it). Does that make either more absorbable for the body?

Would it be good to have the Whey post workout, and the BCAA's (along with some simple carbs) pre/during workout?

Thanks

Use BCAA's during your workout to prevent muscle catabolism. Also BCAA's BETWEEN meals and if you wake up in the middle of the night. Also take BCAA's during cardio.

protein shakes are for post workout, morning meal, and before bedtime mostly.

These products serve two different functions.
Gold: 97,273.00
Feb 23 2009 11:17pm
Hey man just before I start to ask anything I just wanna say thanks and JSP is lucky to have a person as educated as you to help people out.

Well here it goes...I hope you can help me out a little bit.
I have been playing Curling(yes i am Canadian) for 12 years now I started when I was 8 and as of lately I have been going to the gym and have started a meal plan.
I was wondering if you could help me out and give me some suggestions at what I should do more at the gym.

I am 5'9 @ 150 20 years of age.

Here is my diet
BreakFast - Eggs, cereal, milk
Lunch - Sandwich or soup/salad
Snack - Tuna/salmon
Supper 1 - Rice, Chicken or steak
Snack - Cottage cheese

Whatever help would be greatly appreciated.
Gold: 5,928.00
Feb 24 2009 03:40am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Thu, Feb 19 2009, 08:00pm)
Hey there -

Well first of all...if you are trying to bulk...keep the carbs high...2-2.5g per pound of bodyweight...or approx 4-5g carbs per kilo of bodyweight.

As for protein, you want 1-1.5g / pound or 2.5-3.5g / kilo bodyweight.

that means you should be getting approx:

300g carbs
200g protein
80g fat (good fats from sources like avocados, fish, olive oil, nuts, peanut butter, dairy, etc.)

You are going to want to lift 5 days a week - focusing on 1 major muscle group per workout...ex:

mon - chest/abs
tues - back/calves
weds - shoulders/forearms/abs
thurs - legs/calves
friday - arms/forearms/abs

Thanks for this ( i now realise im a bit low on protein and carbs and ill work to up this)
i have 1 more question if you dont mind me asking

I dont quite know the kind of weight i should be doing
e.g. how much bench?
what kind of things?

I have one of those machine things at home that lets me do everything pretty much and i hvae dumbells, thats all i have to use (though the machine basicly does everything)

I dont quite know what i should be aiming for and how much of what i should do, i tried 40 kilo bench press and i could do like 5x10 (or more idk i wasnt counting) pretty easy

also, if i was workout every second day, i could follow a plan but i dont know which weights do what muscle tongue.gif
im a little lost when it comes to this

if its too much for that, do you mind finding something that will help explain a bit to me? thanks!
Feb 24 2009 03:45am
Quote (RiChO69 @ Tue, Feb 24 2009, 05:40am)
Thanks for this ( i now realise im a bit low on protein and carbs and ill work to up this)
i have 1 more question if you dont mind me asking

I dont quite know the kind of weight i should be doing
e.g. how much bench?
what kind of things?

I have one of those machine things at home that lets me do everything pretty much and i hvae dumbells, thats all i have to use (though the machine basicly does everything)

I dont quite know what i should be aiming for and how much of what i should do, i tried 40 kilo bench press and i could do like 5x10 (or more idk i wasnt counting) pretty easy

also, if i was workout every second day, i could follow a plan but i dont know which weights do what muscle tongue.gif
im a little lost when it comes to this

if its too much for that, do you mind finding something that will help explain a bit to me? thanks!

you should be lifting as much as you can for at least 6 reps. Any less than that qualifies for power lifting, and if that is not your goal, keep the weight high...but manageable enough for 6-8 reps.

Some exercises like pec flies, you are going to do lighter weight and higher reps for a solid pump. But power exercises like bench press and deadlift you will perform lower reps and heavier weight.
Feb 24 2009 03:49am
Quote (hardcorebacon @ Tue, Feb 24 2009, 01:17am)
Hey man just before I start to ask anything I just wanna say thanks and JSP is lucky to have a person as educated as you to help people out.

Well here it goes...I hope you can help me out a little bit.
I have been playing Curling(yes i am Canadian) for 12 years now I started when I was 8 and as of lately I have been going to the gym and have started a meal plan.
I was wondering if you could help me out and give me some suggestions at what I should do more at the gym.

I am 5'9 @ 150 20 years of age.

Here is my diet
BreakFast - Eggs, cereal, milk
Lunch - Sandwich or soup/salad
Snack - Tuna/salmon
Supper 1 - Rice, Chicken or steak
Snack - Cottage cheese

Whatever help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there -

try sticking to the gold standard -

Monday - Incline bench, Flat bench dumbbells, cable flies, dumbbell incline flies

Tuesday - Deadlifts, cable rows, t-bar rows, Lat pulldowns, hyperextensions

Wednesday - Squats, Leg Press, Leg Extension, Laying leg Curls, Standing Calf Raises

Thursday - Military Press, Seated shoulder dumbbell press, lateral dumbbell raises, barbell and dumbbell shrugs

Friday - Standing barbell curls, seated dumbbell concentration curls, high cable curls, tricep kickbacks, skull-crushers, tricep-pulldowns, forearm wrist curls.

Do abs at least twice a week including:

Roman chair situps, hanging leg raises, and Weighted Crunches.

This is a very basic workout for building good overall strength - it would be well suited for you.

Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Feb 24 2009 10:13am
Tried posting this early in a thread but got no real insight, hope you can help!

It is written all over the container, it's all over the net - Do not mix ceatine with energy drink's such as Rockstar (for you American's) or Red Bull ( Australianas )
This is because the taurine or soime shit in the energy drink's break down the creatine and make it have a null affect..

anyway,

Should I completly remove energy drinks from my diet? Im a uni student.. and love to have a red bull every so days when I have a heavy study schedule, Is it OK to have an energy drink while on creatine but like - hour's apart from eachother? or will the energy drinks screw up with the creatine effect no matter what time they both enter my body

Thankyou in advance
Feb 24 2009 12:24pm
Quote (J_ames90 @ Tue, Feb 24 2009, 12:13pm)
Tried posting this early in a thread but got no real insight, hope you can help!

It is written all over the container, it's all over the net - Do not mix ceatine with energy drink's such as Rockstar (for you American's) or Red Bull ( Australianas  )
This is because the taurine or soime shit in the energy drink's break down the creatine and make it have a null affect..

anyway,

Should I completly remove energy drinks from my diet? Im a uni student.. and love to have a red bull every so days when I have a heavy study schedule, Is it OK to have an energy drink while on creatine but like - hour's apart from eachother? or will the energy drinks screw up with the creatine effect no matter what time they both enter my body

Thankyou in advance

Energy Drinks are trash to begin with. Most of them are loaded with sugar and have very little actual stimulants contained inside.

The very best method to get a hardcore caffeine buzz is to do one of the following:

1. Take REAL stimulants like Jet-Fuel, Lipo-6, or Atrophex with a lot of water.

2. Drink a ton of coffee or tea (obviously not de-caf lol)

These are the two best ways for you to jack yourself up and feel a great caffeine buzz without all that unnecessary stuff they put in red bull, monster, rockstar, etc.

As far as creatine goes - anything acidic will cause creatine to become unstable and start breaking down pre-maturely. That is why is it best to mix creatine with a non-acidic juice. Any non-acidic juice (like grape/apple) will spike insulin and work as a solid transport for the creatine, while helping prevent its premature breakdown.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev188899091922039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll