d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev18868878888898902039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 75.00
Jun 16 2011 11:49am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jun 16 2011 12:48pm)
This is possible...you could potentially be in the RARE set of people that have this adaptation.

However, have you checked if any of your supplements you have been taking, including protein, contain lactase?

I take optimen, vita C, fish oil, and vita D 5k IU. Thats all I take for supplements. I don't think anything else would have lactase in them.

For protein powder its always been optimum

This post was edited by MegaVovaN on Jun 16 2011 11:50am
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jun 16 2011 12:15pm
Quote (MegaVovaN @ Jun 16 2011 01:49pm)
I take optimen, vita C, fish oil, and vita D 5k IU. Thats all I take for supplements. I don't think anything else would have lactase in them.

For protein powder its always been optimum

which optimum?

a few of them DO have lactase.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 16 2011 12:35pm
Hey raynor, I ship out for bootcamp in 10 days so I've cut out all weight training out of my routine "lower the risk of injury", and started doing pullup/pushup pyramids during my gym trips... Is this alright?

I still do legs though.. I feel like a shit head if I dont lol.
Gold: 13.90
Jun 16 2011 01:32pm
Regarding the 5x5 plan again...

Those 5 sets with 8-12 reps, do I use first a slightly ''easier'' weight to start with, to do those 12 reps, and then increase weight a bit after each set, untill I get to 8 repetitions? I mean, it's 5 set's of this, you will get more and more tired, so want to know if I should stick to same weight, or slightly increase it ^^

As for what I get it to, is that it should look like this, or something similar -

Set1 - 12 reps
Set2 - 10 reps
Set3 - 10 reps
Set4 - 8 reps
Set5 - 8 reps

You shouldn't go to failure on these, just about the last set or 2 last sets?

Also, 1 minute rest between sets in this 5x5 plan, or?

After these questions being answered, I can start this program I think! :)
Gold: 1,310.23
Jun 16 2011 02:36pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jun 16 2011 12:22pm)
hey there.

well no matter what, pre-contest carbs need to be tapered out. Theres really no other way to go about this. However, that doesn't mean you have to continue keto. You can instead use a low-carb approach, and use calorie modifications to reach your goals. Just remember, the week of the contest you would be carb depleting instead of carb loading. You would then begin a carb load around 24-36 hours pre-contest for the muscle thickness/fullness but also maintaining maximum leanness and that dry look. I did this last comp, and felt as if I was "letting myself go"  I didnt feel extra vascular nor bigger from the carb up.  To be honest I think I looked the best that wednesday on my last depletion day

Now to address each point...

1. keto we already addressed above check
2. You can indeed slow your metabolism with caloric depletion. Best bet is to increase total calories and also increase exercise levels to combat any potential fat loss. Check
3. The amount of cardio you were doing was not "too much". Most pro BB'ers tend to do 1-1.5 hrs of cardio per day, 6 days a week pre-contest. check
4. Your current weight is definitely water weight - no worries there...just remember the pre-contest dehydration preparation. Good, I actually feel great, jst a little soft on the abs
5. Yes, slowly begin adding cals and also keeping exercise level high. You can increase cals up to 1,000 cals per day from your current. Try 300-350 / day for 3 days. Keep at eye on the mirror, the calipers, and the scale.Should I try three consecutive days or like raise them every other day? does it even matter is total = same?  I have a serious mental block, Im afraid to add in cals!
6. On the workout days having low fat is ill advised. Keep the proteins at no less than 50-60g per day no matter what. Assuming you ment fats, but dang Yesterday I was as low as 20g for the day.  50-60g fats NO MATTER WHAT?

Let me know if you need anything else brother

Responses in Bold :)

Also this other kid I talked to intelligently reversed dieting after his comp, he went from eating 80g carbs during prep to now eating 600g carbs and 4k cals A DAY. While remaining ~8% bf @ 170lbs. He advised me to start slowly ADDING carbs rather than taper them down?

Currently doing
1700-1750 cals
~150g carbs, keeping them b4/after workouts.
<30g fats (probly need to change this)
~225-250g protein.

again 5.9'5 & 165lbs
weight lifting 5x's a week and 30min elliptical pwo

It just sucks because I dont want to do anything drastic being so close to my next comp. I'll have room for play once the comp is over but until then, not sure wat needs to be done to get leaner

This post was edited by TheOak on Jun 16 2011 02:46pm
Jun 16 2011 03:25pm
Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Jun 16 2011 02:35pm)
Hey raynor, I ship out for bootcamp in 10 days so I've cut out all weight training out of my routine "lower the risk of injury", and started doing pullup/pushup pyramids during my gym trips...  Is this alright?

I still do legs though..  I feel like a shit head if I dont lol.

Yes, that's totally fine. You can focus on training for the military spec - that means pull ups, pushups, 8 count bodybuilders, wall squats, long distance jogging and so forth
Jun 16 2011 03:27pm
Quote (SyB_BaM @ Jun 16 2011 03:32pm)
Regarding the 5x5 plan again...

Those 5 sets with 8-12 reps, do I use first a slightly ''easier'' weight to start with, to do those 12 reps, and then increase weight a bit after each set, untill I get to 8 repetitions? I mean, it's 5 set's of this, you will get more and more tired, so want to know if I should stick to same weight, or slightly increase it ^^

As for what I get it to, is that it should look like this, or something similar -

Set1 - 12 reps
Set2 - 10 reps
Set3 - 10 reps
Set4 - 8 reps
Set5 - 8 reps

You shouldn't go to failure on these, just about the last set or 2 last sets?

Also, 1 minute rest between sets in this 5x5 plan, or?

After these questions being answered, I can start this program I think! :)

Hey there.

Yes that set/rep scheme is correct.

You will start with lighter weight and end with heavier weight (pyramid)

Failure is optional on the last two sets.

Lastly, the best idea is to take 1-2 minutes rest between 5x5 sets and 1 minute rest between 12-10-8 sets
Jun 16 2011 03:34pm
Quote (TheOak @ Jun 16 2011 04:36pm)
Responses in Bold :)

Also this other kid I talked to intelligently reversed dieting after his comp, he went from eating 80g carbs during prep to now eating 600g carbs and 4k cals A DAY. While remaining ~8% bf @ 170lbs. He advised me to start slowly ADDING carbs rather than taper them down?

Currently doing
1700-1750 cals
~150g carbs, keeping them b4/after workouts.
<30g fats (probly need to change this)
~225-250g protein.

again 5.9'5 & 165lbs
weight lifting 5x's a week and 30min elliptical pwo

It just sucks because I dont want to do anything drastic being so close to my next comp. I'll have room for play once the comp is over but until then, not sure wat needs to be done to get leaner

1. Carbing up for you sounds like a mental block...you fear that there will be fat gain. Fortunately the body can NOT create fat that quickly...and after shocking it with the carbs it tends to have high insulin responses.
2. Yes I mean fats, not protein lol. 50-60g without fail to maintain proper testosterone and anabolism. 20g is NO GOOD. It's better to lose some carbs than it is to lose some fats.
3. You can introduce the cals over 3 days in a row. Don't be scared to gain a little, this will come right off if you need it to (aka more cardio less carbs)
4. Your protein needs to be around 200-225 grams...250 might be a little high (not that this is bad) but those cals can be used on fats or carbs if necessary
5. Tapering UP rather than DOWN for carbs at this point isn't good if you are going into a competition. Remember the lower the carbs the leaner you will be as a good rule of thumb. You want to increase carbs now (gradually) and then cut them out the week of the contest before the ultimate carb load the night before, and the candy/sugar load pre-stage.
6. yes, INCREASE those fats! (try to avoid eating fat WITH the carbs...stick to fat separately with protein)

Lastly...don't forget...you placed 2nd in your FIRST bodybuilding competition ever. That is a shocking achievement. You have been doing exceptionally well so far, so don't sweat the small stuff. There are many victories and defeats ahead of you, as this is just the beginning of your very long road of bodybuilding.
Gold: 1,310.23
Jun 16 2011 03:46pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jun 16 2011 04:34pm)
1. Carbing up for you sounds like a mental block...you fear that there will be fat gain. Fortunately the body can NOT create fat that quickly...and after shocking it with the carbs it tends to have high insulin responses.
2. Yes I mean fats, not protein lol. 50-60g without fail to maintain proper testosterone and anabolism. 20g is NO GOOD. It's better to lose some carbs than it is to lose some fats.
3. You can introduce the cals over 3 days in a row. Don't be scared to gain a little, this will come right off if you need it to (aka more cardio less carbs)
4. Your protein needs to be around 200-225 grams...250 might be a little high (not that this is bad) but those cals can be used on fats or carbs if necessary
5. Tapering UP rather than DOWN for carbs at this point isn't good if you are going into a competition. Remember the lower the carbs the leaner you will be as a good rule of thumb. You want to increase carbs now (gradually) and then cut them out the week of the contest before the ultimate carb load the night before, and the candy/sugar load pre-stage.
6. yes, INCREASE those fats! (try to avoid eating fat WITH the carbs...stick to fat separately with protein)

Lastly...don't forget...you placed 2nd in your FIRST bodybuilding competition ever. That is a shocking achievement. You have been doing exceptionally well so far, so don't sweat the small stuff. There are many victories and defeats ahead of you, as this is just the beginning of your very long road of bodybuilding.

:HUG: Thanks again.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 16 2011 03:56pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jun 16 2011 09:25pm)
Yes, that's totally fine. You can focus on training for the military spec - that means pull ups, pushups, 8 count bodybuilders, wall squats, long distance jogging and so forth

My man! Thanks buddy.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev18868878888898902039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll