d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev178798081822039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Feb 6 2009 12:31pm
Quote (Urbain @ Fri, Feb 6 2009, 07:51am)
Should I put a sort of wrap on my knee or something like that?
Should I put some hot on the area too?

I will be forced to run during phys ed class on Monday, if I don't, I will get kicked out of the class, real and serious injury or not. If I could do stationnary bike instead or a sort of stair climber? Would that be better on my knees?

Thank you very very much for all you've helped me with!

Hey -

if your class tries to tell you that despite an injury that you have to run...that's illegal and ethically wrong. Either have your parents or doctor write a note and excuse you from running. In all honesty...the way you describe your problem seems that you either have shin splints or some kind of hyper extension that keeps getting pulled more and more (thus why it radiates into your arches). However, if its the long shot that you have an alignment problem and require insoles...running can cause permanent damage to your spinal column in this situation.

Stationary bike is 234634634x better than running for your circumstance...that is the only cardio I'd recommend for you at this juncture.

wrapping your knees is not necessary...as your problem is below the area that wrapping could handle...however, an ankle brace might help isolate the problem, you could try this.
Feb 6 2009 12:36pm
Quote (SeaBas @ Fri, Feb 6 2009, 09:14am)
Hey,

I was wondering, if you get stronger, does that always mean you built more muscle aswell? is that the same? and the other way around of course,

Not exactly.

You can build more muscle size and not muscle density leading to a very slim strength gain, but increased size and proportions.

You can built more muscle density and it will lead to a slim size gain, but increased strength and endurance.

However, the key is to do a workout routine that changes every few months and alternates between the two different types of workouts for strength AND size...

Hemo-Vascular (size), and Power-Density (strength)

The difference is:

Hemo-Vascular involves all sets performed until failure, followed up by breakdown sets with more failure, and ultimately more breakdowns and failures until total muscle fatigue. (only 1 major group per day)

Power-Density involves all sets performed with very heavy weight in slow and controlled movements for certain sets and explosive movements for other sets. Only a few repetitions should be performed of each exercise (1-8) - and negatives as well as hard spots should be performed in addition to lockouts and half movements.

Gold: 71.02
Feb 7 2009 10:24am
whats up man i've got a question for you

right before i started working out/dieting i weighed in at 5'11 158lbs with 8.7% bf. that was without working out at all and i was eating pretty unhealthy. my goal is to get to about 175lbs without adding too much to that bodyfat. so im wondering since my metabolism works so fast is it as important for me to watch what i eat? should i be staying away from fats and carbs even though my body seems to not turn them into fat as much? i've been eating VERY healthy six times a day and workingout/cardio six times a week for about a month now and im getting stronger and feeling better but im not gaining weight.

here is what i do:
M-W-F work out upper body. i hit it pretty hard on friday since i can rest until monday
T-Th-Sat light cardio on the elliptical machine for about 30 mins

i do the cardio because even though my body fat is low, i'm still pretty soft around the middle and obviously i'd like to shed that for some abs

so basically im wondering am i doing something wrong? or am i just not being patient enough?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Gold: 1,300.00
Feb 7 2009 04:47pm
Can you give my any tips to deal with muscle soreness? That way I can lift and play basketball on the same day. I hate using every ounce of my strength and still have the ball fall short of the rim.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Feb 7 2009 04:50pm
Quote (jn134o8 @ Sat, Feb 7 2009, 06:47pm)
Can you give my any tips to deal with muscle soreness? That way I can lift and play basketball on the same day. I hate using every ounce of my strength and still have the ball fall short of the rim.

Ice it, heat it and streach it out.
Feb 7 2009 06:49pm
Quote (hoodang329 @ Sat, Feb 7 2009, 12:24pm)
whats up man i've got a question for you

right before i started working out/dieting i weighed in at 5'11 158lbs with 8.7% bf.  that was without working out at all and i was eating pretty unhealthy.  my goal is to get to about 175lbs without adding too much to that bodyfat.  so im wondering since my metabolism works so fast is it as important for me to watch what i eat?  should i be staying away from fats and carbs even though my body seems to not turn them into fat as much?  i've been eating VERY healthy six times a day and workingout/cardio six times a week for about a month now and im getting stronger and feeling better but im not gaining weight.

here is what i do:
M-W-F    work out upper body. i hit it pretty hard on friday since i can rest until monday
T-Th-Sat  light cardio on the elliptical machine for about 30 mins

i do the cardio because even though my body fat is low, i'm still pretty soft around the middle and obviously i'd like to shed that for some abs

so basically im wondering am i doing something wrong? or am i just not being patient enough?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best idea for a solid routine is the cutting/bulking split.

If you are currently in cutting, make sure the following the basic guide for doing so which includes:

No sugar
Carbs only at the first meal of the day (complex)
eat every 2-3 hours without fail
get plenty of good fats (at least 60g / day)
drink ice water constantly
take in at least 400mg of caffeine per day (200 in the morning and 200 pre-workout is good)
take a multivitamin (NOW! Adam is good)
eat 1 cup of cottage cheese before bed
Work out twice a day at least 3 days a week and work out once a day at least another 2 days a week for a total of 8 total workouts a week.

The workout schedule should be like this:

Monday - Workout 1 - Chest (1.5 hours)
Monday - Workout 2 - Abs and Cardio (1.5 hours)
(split these apart by at least 4-5 hours)

Tuesday - Workout 1 - Back (1.5 hours)

Wednesday - Workout 2 - Shoulders (1.5 hours)
Wednesday - Workout 2 - Abs and Cardio (1.5 hours)

Thursday - Workout 1 - Legs (2 hours)

Friday - Workout 1 - Arms (1.5 hours)
Friday - Workout 2 - Abs and Cardio (1.5 hours)

Saturday - OFF

Sunday - OFF

On sat/sun you can also do cardio, but leave the muscle groups alone.

This is the perfect cutting plan for anyone....as far as exact nutrition goes, you can figure that out judging by your BMI and your overall activity level. But carbs at first meal are the only carbs to eat per day.

Gold: 3,015.00
Feb 7 2009 07:00pm
Quote (impulsepainter @ Fri, Feb 6 2009, 01:50am)
Hi SKC,

I get pains in my foot arch, ankles (mainly exterior on ankles), and shins. This is from the impact of running I'm pretty sure (seeing as I did a short run, and it started). Now I want to be running, and improving on that, can't really have substitute for it.

For the past few week or so, the pain hasn't gone away. I have continued leg excercises as usual (squats, leg press, calf raises), but the weird thing is, I feel absolutely no pain while doing them, it only really hurts when running, or even walking (walk about 2-3 miles each day, on campus). I've pretty much had this problem for my whole life, running has always been hard.

edit: I haven't gone for a run in a week or more, and it's still there

1) Temporary fix? RICE method? resting? skip legs for a week or so?
2) Long term fix? Running more? Specially designed insoles?

You may have your shoes too tight, or need a more supportive shoe.

Also try those gel things, they may help.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 7 2009 07:08pm
http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=28084890&f=60
need help with this >< hope u don't mind lookin
Feb 7 2009 11:04pm
Quote (brian_6905 @ Sat, Feb 7 2009, 09:08pm)
http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=28084890&f=60
need help with this >< hope u don't mind lookin

Anabolic Diet is fine...

depends on your exact goals, but from what you mentioned before I would only recommend it if you spend at least 2-3 hours a day at the gym (preferably split into TWO 1.5 hour workouts) for 5 days a week

If you are not going to do this...then you would be much better off with standard cutting diet which can be found a few posts above this one....lazy man link here: http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=21269614&view=findpost&p=170677641

Banned
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Feb 8 2009 12:01am
people keep talking about good fats.. but where can i find those good fats? if you can give me some example of food that has good fat id love that
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev178798081822039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll