d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev177787980812039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 192.00
Feb 4 2009 10:22pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Wed, Feb 4 2009, 11:58pm)
Depends on what kind of athlete you are talking about.

Baseball, football, soccer, hockey, swimming, tennis, golf, lacross, volleyball, bodybuilding, skating, running, etc etc etc - all require different workouts.

If you want to do an olympic lift routine...there is a very calculated way to go about it.

I still stand by my previous statement that full body work as you mention is only beneficial for muscle maintenance, toning, fat loss, etc.

For all around strength, ROM (range of motion), muscle gain, flexibility, and endurance...the method to lift should always be in the form of splits or singles.

UNLESS you are practicing for specific exercises or lifts for a PT test or competition of some sort (like the Olympics or the Arnold classic).

if you are seeing good results doing what are you doing, feel free to keep it up - however, I guarentee you will see better results with a more comprehensive and strategic plan.

well i throw discus and shot put, so it requires a lot of explosiveness...right now since im getting close to the season i dont have time to work out 4-5 times a week like i have been...so iv been doing like i mentioned above 3 times a week...then once the season gets into full swing i will only be able to maintain my strength by lifting 2 or so times a week depending on our practice schedule
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Feb 5 2009 02:07am
Quote (bnrhodes2 @ Thu, Feb 5 2009, 12:22am)
well i throw discus and shot put, so it requires a lot of explosiveness...right now since im getting close to the season i dont have time to work out 4-5 times a week like i have been...so iv been doing like i mentioned above 3 times a week...then once the season gets into full swing i will only be able to maintain my strength by lifting 2 or so times a week depending on our practice schedule

I see...well then you do what you have to do, especially if time is limited. In that case, what you are doing is the best thing you can. When you have 5 days free, that can change for the better =)
Gold: 0.00
Feb 5 2009 06:41pm
Hey, I posted few days ago in the forums about my knee.

While leg pressing (I had just front squatted with great form, no pain at all) I felt a suddent strange really localized pain in/on my knee. I had to stop immediatly the exercice and my leg day.

4-5 days after that I went to the gym again (I had forgotten about my knee pain), I did a few sets of box squats, then I felt something bothering me in my knee, nothing big tough I was able to finish the set (I had one more rep left). I ended the leg day short once again.

I am now off of any leg training. I do not feel any kind of pain when I simply move/touch. But I can really feel a pee sized ball on the superior left part of my knee.

Today I was running the stairs with me college school bag on (approx 25 lbs) and a huge pain struck my whole knee. I remember having the sort of pain sometimes even when I was not training (happened maybe 2-3 other time in my whole life).

I might actually be able to get an appointment with a doctor specialized in sports, re-learning to move and etc. But that is not certain.

What do you think I should do? What do you think it is? If I can meet a doctor, it will be in maybe 1-2 week, what should I do during that time?

A big thank you if you can answer any of those questions!
Feb 5 2009 07:49pm
Quote (Urbain @ Fri, Feb 6 2009, 12:41am)

While leg pressing (I had just front squatted with great form, no pain at all) I felt a suddent strange really localized pain in/on my knee. I had to stop immediatly the exercice and my leg day.

4-5 days after that I went to the gym again (I had forgotten about my knee pain), I did a few sets of box squats, then I felt something bothering me in my knee, nothing big tough I was able to finish the set (I had one more rep left). I ended the leg day short once again.

I am now off of any leg training. I do not feel any kind of pain when I simply move/touch. But I can really feel a pee sized ball on the superior left part of my knee.

Today I was running the stairs with me college school bag on (approx 25 lbs) and a huge pain struck my whole knee. I remember having the sort of pain sometimes even when I was not training (happened maybe 2-3 other time in my whole life).

I might actually be able to get an appointment with a doctor specialized in sports, re-learning to move and etc. But that is not certain.

What do you think I should do? What do you think it is? If I can meet a doctor, it will be in maybe 1-2 week, what should I do during that time?

Sorry for the double post...but..I obviously meant "pea" and not "pee" lol

Warn: 10%
Feb 5 2009 08:04pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Wed, Jan 28 2009, 04:16am)
The best advice for me to give you without going into too much detail and making custom plans etc. is to explain exactly what you need.

Split your workouts into two workouts a day for 5 days a week.

Sample:

Mon -

workout 1 - chest (20-30 sets, no more than 30-45 seconds between sets, do at least 10 supersets and 5 breakdowns)

workout 2 - abs (200-400 reps) and 1 hour of cardio

Ok thanks a lot man ill keep you post when ill be doing this in 1 or 2 month

Repeat for all days, alternating your muscle groups as you normally would do. But when you separate into two workouts you double your body's ATP producing ability and also massively increase your muscular gains and fat losses.

Don't forget to eat frequently, and stay very hydrated! (1-2gal water per day!)

thanks man ill keep you post when ill start it
Feb 5 2009 11:44pm
Quote (Urbain @ Thu, Feb 5 2009, 08:41pm)

Very simple solution(s).

1. See a doctor asap

2. Ice the area 20 mins every 2-3 hours for several days

3. avoid all exercises that put pressure or strain on the knee

Gold: 4,451.51
Feb 6 2009 12:50am
Hi SKC,

I get pains in my foot arch, ankles (mainly exterior on ankles), and shins. This is from the impact of running I'm pretty sure (seeing as I did a short run, and it started). Now I want to be running, and improving on that, can't really have substitute for it.

For the past few week or so, the pain hasn't gone away. I have continued leg excercises as usual (squats, leg press, calf raises), but the weird thing is, I feel absolutely no pain while doing them, it only really hurts when running, or even walking (walk about 2-3 miles each day, on campus). I've pretty much had this problem for my whole life, running has always been hard.

edit: I haven't gone for a run in a week or more, and it's still there

1) Temporary fix? RICE method? resting? skip legs for a week or so?
2) Long term fix? Running more? Specially designed insoles?

This post was edited by impulsepainter on Feb 6 2009 12:50am
Feb 6 2009 03:54am
Quote (impulsepainter @ Fri, Feb 6 2009, 02:50am)
Hi SKC,

I get pains in my foot arch, ankles (mainly exterior on ankles), and shins. This is from the impact of running I'm pretty sure (seeing as I did a short run, and it started). Now I want to be running, and improving on that, can't really have substitute for it.

For the past few week or so, the pain hasn't gone away. I have continued leg excercises as usual (squats, leg press, calf raises), but the weird thing is, I feel absolutely no pain while doing them, it only really hurts when running, or even walking (walk about 2-3 miles each day, on campus). I've pretty much had this problem for my whole life, running has always been hard.

edit: I haven't gone for a run in a week or more, and it's still there

1) Temporary fix? RICE method? resting? skip legs for a week or so?
2) Long term fix? Running more? Specially designed insoles?

Hey there...

there are several things I can reccomend:

1. See a chiropractor - you might have splints or have some kind of spinal mis-alignment causing the remote pain near the ankles and shins. If anything, it will help narrow the problem down.

2. ICE ICE ICE - if you are feeling pain in an area, particularly after exercise...ice it down immediately afterwards and see if it reduces pain. If it does, then we move onto step 3.

3. Deep slow stretching. You will need to start performing advanced stretching routines and see if this makes a difference. The type of stretching you do will rely firmly on the directions that you can stretch where there feels to be an alleviation of pain. In addition, you should also stretch in the direction of the pain (until no longer bearable). After long bouts of deep stretching, see if it impacts your overall feeling after exercise (particularly running).

4. Insoles are the last step. If all else fails, you might have an alignment problem (as mentioned in step 1) that will require the need of special insoles to prevent pain and damage to your body.

Feb 6 2009 05:51am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Fri, Feb 6 2009, 05:44am)
Very simple solution(s).

1. See a doctor asap

2. Ice the area 20 mins every 2-3 hours for several days

3. avoid all exercises that put pressure or strain on the knee

Should I put a sort of wrap on my knee or something like that?
Should I put some hot on the area too?

I will be forced to run during phys ed class on Monday, if I don't, I will get kicked out of the class, real and serious injury or not. If I could do stationnary bike instead or a sort of stair climber? Would that be better on my knees?

Thank you very very much for all you've helped me with!
Gold: 20.00
Feb 6 2009 07:14am
Hey,

I was wondering, if you get stronger, does that always mean you built more muscle aswell? is that the same? and the other way around of course,
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev177787980812039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll