d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev17587597607617622039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,200.00
Mar 28 2011 10:28pm
know any good articles, journals or books on how steroids can be used to in positive ways?
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Mar 28 2011 10:52pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 28 2011 06:21pm)
It all depends.

1. If you work for a gym like LA fitness, Golds, etc. - expect to make minimal money in a thankless job with random hours, and inconsistent client base - however there is virtually no liability.

2. If you work for yourself, and train people in their homes or at a gym, etc. you have the trouble of finding initial clients, as well as personal liability, but you also stand to make the most money.

3. If you work for a boutique gym or health/wellness spa type environment, you stand to make good pay but have to deal with the snobs and people who genuinely don't care about bodybuilding, true fitness, or anything other than maintaining a "socially acceptable" shape.

In all honestly...training is a great thing...if only it were done differently. I have been a trainer for many years and have found myself getting more and more soured to the job. Thankfully I will be out of school soon and can begin my residency and internship.

I would also advise ACSM or NASM as these are the most recognized training certificates at the moment.

If the stars aligned just right and you managed to befriend the owner/manager of a large gym and become a trainer there, you could also stand to see some pretty impressive cash - but it's all about who you know, not what you know.

ACSM and NASM are american i believe? i live in canada, so things like LA fitness or what ever are out of the question, also down here we have a different aura, or so i think at least. Anyways, what kind of courses should i look into to pursue something of the sort, personal trainer is a maybe, but i wouldnt mind working in a gym or something. So what kind of things would i need to know to do so, currently only taking biology 12 anything you can recommend, also does a degree in health sciences require knowledge of math? let me know thanks. Also any things you reccomend that you might have thought useful dont hesitate to inform me =)
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Mar 29 2011 12:45am
Quote (MegaVovaN @ Mar 28 2011 11:42pm)
20 reps for deep squats at 70% intensity would make somebody very very tired, and burn up plenty of glycogen right? (the workout will also have other exercises like 2 sets of 10 bench, stiff-leg deadlift, military presses, pull-overs.. etc)

so by following up with a 20 min HIIT postworkout, this would be the best method to induce fat burn than say a 3 sets of 5 reps routine.

Yes that is correct.
Mar 29 2011 12:47am
Quote (g4mer @ Mar 29 2011 12:28am)
know any good articles, journals or books on how steroids can be used to in positive ways?

Unfortunately for legal reasons I can not give any advice or information regarding steroids.

However, if you travel over to the site - anabolicminds, they might be able to help you
Mar 29 2011 12:49am
Quote (EverNineAfter @ Mar 29 2011 12:52am)
ACSM and NASM are american i believe? i live in canada, so things like LA fitness or what ever are out of the question, also down here we have a different aura, or so i think at least. Anyways, what kind of courses should i look into to pursue something of the sort, personal trainer is a maybe, but i wouldnt mind working in a gym or something. So what kind of things would i need to know to do so, currently only taking biology 12 anything you can recommend, also does a degree in health sciences require knowledge of math? let me know thanks. Also any things you reccomend that you might have thought useful dont hesitate to inform me =)

Hey there.

Try to get a Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science or Kinesthesiology. It would also be highly advisable to get a SECOND degree (dual degree) in Nutrition. With that you are able to do virtually anything in that field. This is your best way to get into the training/nutrition/fitness realm of things. I am not very familiar with the lifestyle in Canada, so I can't really give you any more direct advice other than that. I would also advise that you take a First Responder course (preferably an EMT course) which will also beef up your credentials because of your emergency medical background which assists in liability and client confidence issues.
Mar 29 2011 12:59pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 28 2011 11:49pm)
Hey there.

Try to get a Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science or Kinesthesiology. It would also be highly advisable to get a SECOND degree (dual degree) in Nutrition. With that you are able to do virtually anything in that field. This is your best way to get into the training/nutrition/fitness realm of things. I am not very familiar with the lifestyle in Canada, so I can't really give you any more direct advice other than that. I would also advise that you take a First Responder course (preferably an EMT course) which will also beef up your credentials because of your emergency medical background which assists in liability and client confidence issues.

alright thanks mate, what did you have when you became a personal trainer? (degree / etc)

This post was edited by EverNineAfter on Mar 29 2011 01:05pm
Mar 29 2011 01:12pm
Quote (EverNineAfter @ Mar 29 2011 02:59pm)
alright thanks mate, what did you have when you became a personal trainer? (degree / etc)

The first time I got my training certs I had an AA degree, EMT, Paramedic, and Firefighter certs.

I have since then, received 2 additional training certs (NASM and ACSM) after I had a Bachelor's degree.
Mar 29 2011 03:40pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 29 2011 12:12pm)
The first time I got my training certs I had an AA degree, EMT, Paramedic, and Firefighter certs.

I have since then, received 2 additional training certs (NASM and ACSM) after I had a Bachelor's degree.

hmmm im looking at this school and it has an EMS degree, but does that come AFTER i get my PCP ? also, do you think if i get my PCP it'll help me in the field of fitness / nutrition
Mar 29 2011 03:42pm
Quote (EverNineAfter @ Mar 29 2011 05:40pm)
hmmm im looking at this school and it has an EMS degree, but does that come AFTER i get my PCP ? also, do you think if i get my PCP it'll help me in the field of fitness / nutrition

EMS has nothing to do with training. I chose ems because I used to be a paramedic/firefighter.

Getting an EMT cert takes 3 months and will generally give you better credibility in anything health and fitness related.

However, unless you are choosing to go the route of emergency medicine (emt/paramedic/firefighter) or even ER physician/surgeon or nurse - I would not bother than EMS. Instead go for Exercise Science, nutrition, or kinesthesiology.
Mar 29 2011 03:46pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 29 2011 02:42pm)
EMS has nothing to do with training. I chose ems because I used to be a paramedic/firefighter.

Getting an EMT cert takes 3 months and will generally give you better credibility in anything health and fitness related.

However, unless you are choosing to go the route of emergency medicine (emt/paramedic/firefighter) or even ER physician/surgeon or nurse - I would not bother than EMS. Instead go for Exercise Science, nutrition, or kinesthesiology.

well originally i planned to go into paramedic, but the mass amount of studying kind of scared me off...however i always thought of firefighter as a back up,... where did you get your EMT cert? at a school or online ? also been looking for something like exercise science, nut, kine, havent really found any schools that have them so far, i'll continue looking though.

what i figure is doing something like getting my PCP maybe doing some work in that field for a while, while getting the other degrees / certs for something like training. Or is their no point in going all over the place and i should just focus on one ?

E: are EMT and EMR the same thing ?

This post was edited by EverNineAfter on Mar 29 2011 03:52pm
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev17587597607617622039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll