d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev17097107117127132039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Mar 1 2011 10:16pm
Quote (GrahamC @ Mar 2 2011 12:01am)
hi, do you know any good upper body/lower body split routines?  one that can be used like upper body on mondays and thursdays and lower body on tuesdays and fridays?

Hey there. I can make one up for you.

But before I do, I need some more specifics. First of all, why do you want an upper/lower split vs 1-2 muscle groups per day?

Secondly, what are your goals exactly?
Gold: 5,985.00
Mar 1 2011 10:20pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 1 2011 11:32pm)
It is VERY difficult to condition yourself for cardio endurance and strength endurance at the same time. They really do work against each other as one is made for pure long-term muscular endurance (fast twitch) while the other is made for quick bursts of energy to accomplish a feat of many muscles working in unison at maximum capacity (slow twitch).

anyway, for PURE size, follow this guide:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=345358141
Hypertrophy Plan

just remember to up your caloric intake. If you are trying to avoid BF gains, just increase the protein and fat enough to accomidate with carbs only used in the monring, meals leading up to your workout, PWO, and meal after workout. if timed correctly, the last 2 meals of the day would be carb free or minimally carbed.

Thanks for the tips! I guess just looking at like... football players or some of the bigger military guys, it would seem like they have both muscular strength (and bulk) and pretty good cardio endurance. Is this just a result of spending a LOT of time doing both? I'll definitely follow your meal advice. Should I be consuming around 3-4k calories?
Gold: 0.00
Mar 1 2011 10:28pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 1 2011 11:16pm)
Hey there. I can make one up for you.

But before I do, I need some more specifics. First of all, why do you want an upper/lower split vs 1-2 muscle groups per day?

Secondly, what are your goals exactly?

i have been accustomed to only working body parts once a week, and id like to see how hitting the same muscle twice would affect me.

i was not going to start it till after a couple weeks (after spring break); though, im looking to put on some weight
Mar 1 2011 10:37pm
Quote (Slampig @ Mar 2 2011 12:20am)
Thanks for the tips! I guess just looking at like... football players or some of the bigger military guys, it would seem like they have both muscular strength (and bulk) and pretty good cardio endurance. Is this just a result of spending a LOT of time doing both? I'll definitely follow your meal advice. Should I be consuming around 3-4k calories?

yes, at least 3-4K calories per day.
Mar 1 2011 10:38pm
Quote (GrahamC @ Mar 2 2011 12:28am)
i have been accustomed to only working body parts once a week, and id like to see how hitting the same muscle twice would affect me.

i was not going to start it till after a couple weeks (after spring break); though, im looking to put on some weight

ah, twice is good...let me advise you accordingly. instead of UPPER/LOWER alternating workouts try this:

Hypertrophy Plan
Gold: 1,310.23
Mar 1 2011 10:42pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 1 2011 10:36pm)
The minimum is around 24 hours. The maximum is around 14 days.

it depends on your genetics, body size, fat stores, glycogen stores, activity level, etc.

I would advise sticking to the full keto for 2 weeks, then taking your epic carb day, and from there doing a carb day once a week.

hey thanks,

jst thought id keep u updated... I tested a small trace of ketones right now(pink), and it hasnt even been a full 2 days yet :)
Mar 1 2011 10:50pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 1 2011 11:38pm)
ah, twice is good...let me advise you accordingly. instead of UPPER/LOWER alternating workouts try this:

Hypertrophy Plan

awesome, thanks. is there any possible way that can be arranged differently? like so it does not transition to starting the day later in the next week. i have to put in my available hours for work along with other obligations, so it would be nice for the days to be somewhat static with regard to my workout schedule/timing.

i dont want to compromise a rest day, so would taking out a day be more beneficial?
Mar 2 2011 08:58am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 2 2011 03:33am)
a bit darker than moderate is nothing to be alarmed...if it gets into the purple again, begin carb day.

Also how long has it been since you took a carb day? DO NOT GO MORE THAN 14 DAYS IN A ROW WITHOUT TAKING A CARB DAY!! It is preferred to do 7 days keto and 1 day carbs.

so for every 7 days keto I should do 1 day carb? Im going to be carbing up this weekend.
Mar 2 2011 01:02pm
Quote (TheOak @ Mar 2 2011 12:42am)
hey thanks,

jst thought id keep u updated... I tested a small trace of ketones right now(pink), and it hasnt even been a full 2 days yet :)

Good deal man, keep up the good work. Strangely enough once you are in full ketosis and used to a keto diet you will probably like the way you feel. More energy, warm body temperature, and a general feeling of well-being. Also, carb days are absolutely godlike.
Mar 2 2011 01:04pm
Quote (GrahamC @ Mar 2 2011 12:50am)
awesome, thanks.  is there any possible way that can be arranged differently?  like so it does not transition to starting the day later in the next week.  i have to put in my available hours for work along with other obligations, so it would be nice for the days to be somewhat static with regard to my workout schedule/timing. 

i dont want to compromise a rest day, so would taking out a day be more beneficial?

Hey there. Please follow all directions in the original plan, but modify the days as follows:

Mon (chest/bis) - Incline Bench Press, Flat Bench Press, Incline DB Flies SUPERSET with Flat DB Flies, Wide-grip Dips (weighted if possible), lying DB pullovers, Low cable crossovers SUPERSET w/ high cable crossovers. Standing olympic bar curls, seated E-Z Bar preacher curls, Standing DB curls SUPERSET w/ seated DB hammer curls, Concentration DB curls, High cable curls (looks like a standing double-bicep pose) SUPERSET w/ low cable bicep curls.

Tues (Back/Tris) - Straight-Leg Deadlifts, Seated Cable Rows, Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns, T-Bar Rows, Bent over DB Rows SUPERSET w/ Lawnmower DB Rows, Good Mornings Superset w/ Lower Back Hyperextensions, Bent Over Barbell Rows. Cable Tricep Pulldowns (Rope or V-Bar), One-Arm tricep cable pulldowns SUPERSET w/ One-Arm tricep cable kickbacks, DB Kickbacks, Seated DB Skullcrushers SUPERSET w/ laying EZ-bar skullcrushers, Close-Grip machine dips.

Weds (Legs/Shoulders) - Barbell Squats (ATG), Plate loaded Leg Press, Leg Extension SUPERSET w/ Leg Curls (laying or seated), DB Lunges, Hip Abductor SUPERSET w/ Hip Adductor, Standing Calf Raise Machine, Donkey Calf Raises SUPERSET w/ Seated Calf-Raises. Seated Military Press, DB Shoulder Press, DB Arnold Press SUPERSET w/ DB Front raises, DB Lat raises (normal 2 arm method) SUPERSET w/ one arm slow-decline lat raises, DB Shrugs, Barbell Shrugs.

Thurs - REST

Fri - Mix Chest+Back+bis (take all exercises for chest/back/bis and integrate them into one workout)

Sat -Mix Legs + Shoulders + Tris (take all exercises for legs/shoulders/tris and integrate them into one workout)

Sun - OFF

Mon - REPEAT MONDAY etc.

essentially you are combining the 3 days into 2 days to accommodate your schedule. Enjoy!
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev17097107117127132039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll