d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev168697071722039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jan 29 2009 03:00pm
Quote (Anilator(A) @ Wed, Jan 28 2009, 07:33pm)
lunges, front squats, good mornings, dumbell squats, deadlifts (with the hips low), stiff leg deadlifts, hack squats are all by far greater then a leg press man. go lift at planet fitness, because thats what you are, a commercial in and out weightlifter. you really dont even squat (they dont allow squating or deadlifting at planet fitness). your just one of those guys who works upper body every week an does cardio for legs. please man.

You are an epic failure.

Good Morning focus mostly on the lower back and secondary to that are the hamstrings - they are not a complex leg workout. Secondly, stiff leg deadlifts also focus greatly on the lower back, and secondary to that the hamstrings again. Secondary exercises do not trump primary exercises. To say that these are "fat greater than a legpress" truly shows your lack of knowledge. I'm assuming the reason you say this is because your legpress is tiny and the only way to make yourself feel better about it is to say that all other exercises are better than it.

You have no idea what my routine is, so shut your mouth and stop acting like a bigshot. You have no credibility, and as far as we know, you haven't ever spent more than 30 minutes at a gym in your life.

In addition - please tell ronnie, jay, marcus, dennis, flex, dexter, dorian, and franco that legpresses are not important...or "as important" as those exercises you listed.

Lunges are great for leg endurance and tone but not for leg strength.

Same with dumbbell deadlifts which are actually the woman's version of a real deadlift...nice to see you're doing women's exercises ;-)

Deadlifts are amazing, but not an exclusive leg workout like a legpress or squat...they spend a lot of effort on the back - which is in turn not applicable.

How do you know so much about planet fitness? I assume you must be a member to be able to tell me what's allowed there and what isn't? Also, why are you making fun of gyms? I'm sure any gym is better than none.

My gyms are the following:

Golds Gym
Steel Mill Gym
World Gym

I spend my time at those 3 gyms mostly...although I will go to various other gyms and check them out from time to time.

curiously...what are your stats? lets hear your impressive accomplishments so that you can get flamed more.
Jan 29 2009 03:04pm

Quote (7_Deadly_Sins @ Wed, Jan 28 2009, 10:01pm)
It's not a bad idea to do one in the AM and one in the PM. Or, cardio right after you do weights, however remember you need to eat something asap.
It will boost your metab and appetite threw out the day.
Never do it before you weight lift, make weight training your priority.
If you can sip on some BCAAs when you're doing your cardio. I think running is stupid as hell, bad for your knees. I cycle every time I do cardio.
Remember if you use a certain hear rate zone, you will either be doing cardio, or burning fat.
SKC might have a different opinion though.

7_Deadly_Sins hit the nail on the dead.

This is exactly how to do your cardio.

Always do cardio at the end of a strength training workout....or on non-strength training days. BCAA's before, during, and after are essential to prevent muscle catabolism.

Try to use the cycle or the eliptical, treadmill and stairs can be unforgiving on the knees.

Shoot for 30-60 minutes of cardio at a heartrate between 125-150 depending on your target. In order to find a good target, try the talk test.

while doing cardio, as long as you can say a complete sentence ("The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.") without gasping or air or taking breaths in between saying it, you are fine. The moment you can't say the sentence out loud without having to take in more air...you are going too fast and crossing the anaerobic threshold, and need to slow down to aerobic activity.

Hope this helps.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 70%
Jan 29 2009 03:09pm
What's your opinion on "Real Gains", by Universal for my weight gainer?

And do you think I should add lunges into my leg days.

Currently I am doing, Squats, leg presses, leg ext, and calf raises. And If I do, do I do squats and lunges? Or just one or the other. (I need to get strong legs etc. for lacrosse)

Thanks,
Scott.
Jan 29 2009 03:10pm
Quote (S3th @ Wed, Jan 28 2009, 10:42pm)
Would this still be good for me to start this, I have been unactive so I never done this yet.
I have been doing free weights by my self, about 20Ib's for 30Mins to One Hour a Night.
My new weight is 195 and About 6'1"

I was planning to get a Gym Membership at the following since Ill be driving within three weeks
- Anytime Fitness ( Open 24/7 and has the basic's for normal work out )
- PaC ( Would Do this in the Morning and or Night after Work, this has everything from pool to a field to run it )

I really want to cut about 20-10 Ib's of pure fat weight by time Summer Hits ( is this possible with the workout above )

I normally never eat Breakfast due to school, but I heard it is best to eat breakfast.
Would this help alot to maintain a normal "eatting/nut. plan" and good for workout.

Breakfast
- fruit loops w/ banannas

Lunch
- PB n J with Fruit or Chips

Dinner
- Depends on what my Mom Cooks
( I also cook myself, been taking Nut. and Culinary Arts for over Two Years. So I could always cook what you recomend)

At work I normally eat (Lunch or Dinner )
250 Cal. Salad with GrillChicken w/ Unsweet Lemonaid

Can you let me know info on bike riding?
Its one thing I loved to do as a Child and still do but I will have to buy a bike biggrin.gif, which is no problem.

Sorry about the rambling on, ^^

hey there -

yes of course this plan is still good - it was designed specifically for your goals.

However, you will definitely need to change your diet a bit...and try to eat every 2-3 hours. If you need protein bars to use as meal supplements...try the "Oh yeah wafer bars" - low calorie, and moderate protein, good for your goals as a between meal snack.

Breakfast - 3 eggs and 2 pieces whole grain toast

Meal 2 - protein bar

meal 3 - turkey or tuna sandwich

meal 4 - large glass of milk and handufull of mixed nuts

meal 5 - tuna or grilled chicken on a salad (olive oil and vinegar only dressing you can use)

meal 6 - cottage cheese (right before bed)

Keep that diet in mind...you can switch it up...just basically understand this...the only carbs you can eat are meals 1-3. the other 3 meals have no more carbs....you can use any lean meat, veggie, and nuts at these meals to satisfy your hunger and provide energy and aminos to fuel your muscle growth while keeping your metabo up.

as far as bike riding goes, its an excellent exercise that should be done as frequently as you would like. The more, the better.

Jan 29 2009 03:12pm
Wow glad to see you posting so much!

Do you know anything about WestSideBarbell routines?

P.S. It seems like you are getting a lot of questions wink.gif! So you can forget about my question, I know how precious your time is!

This post was edited by Urbain on Jan 29 2009 03:23pm
Jan 29 2009 03:14pm
Quote (SeaBas @ Thu, Jan 29 2009, 10:59am)
Hey,

I have a question,
Since about three months i have been going to a gym, and i always do the same workouts/machines.
But on this forum i see most people prefer using free weights over machines, but why is that? Does it make any difference in increasing your strength or growing muscles?
If you use more than one muscle group at a time for a certain machine, does that make it better than one that focuses on one single muscle group?
At the gym i see most people that have trained for a much longer time than me, use free weights. So does that mean it is better or that you should only use them if you are like.. advanced?

I still have a lot to learn about all these things, so any help would be  much appreciated.

thank you,

(sorry for putting so many questions in one post btw) sad.gif

Hey there - no problem.

Ok here's the thing - freeweights use complex movements that tend to use multiple small muscle groups as stabilizer muscles in order to perform the activity. As a result, free weights will lead to larger gains of size and strength over time compared to machines. However, if you are wanting to hit a specific area (lets say biceps), sometimes machines are the only way to truly isolate one particular muscle for intense focus.

As for you, you need to be mixing it up and doing both. If you are unfamiliar with how to properly lift with free weights, I would highly recommend that you either hire a trainer to show you, or find someone you know who does it to show you how to lift properly. I only say these to guarantee your safety. There is no amount of time I could spend on here explaining how to lift properly that would result in you doing it safely.

You can start using free weights whenever you are ready...just remember - get someone to show you proper form first. If it hurts, stop! If it burns, keep going!
Jan 29 2009 03:25pm
Quote (Disciples @ Thu, Jan 29 2009, 05:09pm)
What's your opinion on "Real Gains", by Universal for my weight gainer?

And do you think I should add lunges into my leg days.

Currently I am doing, Squats, leg presses, leg ext, and calf raises. And If I do, do I do squats and lunges? Or just one or the other. (I need to get strong legs etc. for lacrosse)

Thanks,
Scott.

You also need to be doing Leg Curls (laying and seated) to hit the hamstrings....lunges are great for endurance and leg tone...wouldn't be a bad idea to warm up with a few dozen lunges around the gym with moderate dumbbell weight. Lunge warmups are try for getting the full stretch and preparing the legs for heavy weight.
Jan 29 2009 03:32pm
Quote (Urbain @ Thu, Jan 29 2009, 05:12pm)
Wow glad to see you posting so much!

Do you know anything about WestSideBarbell routines?

P.S. It seems like you are getting a lot of questions wink.gif! So you can forget about my question, I know how precious your time is!

for you, I shall make time =)

Ok lets see...

WSB routines are great...well...a lot of them are...some not so much. It depends really. I've had a lot of people ask me this question before...they are purely for those who have the time, effort, and dedication as well as a psycho partner to accomplish the ridiculous expectations that they give. To be honest, WSB routines can be very good...especially for the veteran lifter. You can give it a shot...but I won't promise much without a ton of nutrition and a great partner ;-)
Jan 29 2009 04:23pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Thu, Jan 29 2009, 09:00pm)
You are an epic failure.

Good Morning focus mostly on the lower back and secondary to that are the hamstrings - they are not a complex leg workout. Secondly, stiff leg deadlifts also focus greatly on the lower back, and secondary to that the hamstrings again. Secondary exercises do not trump primary exercises. To say that these are "fat greater than a legpress" truly shows your lack of knowledge. I'm assuming the reason you say this is because your legpress is tiny and the only way to make yourself feel better about it is to say that all other exercises are better than it.

You have no idea what my routine is, so shut your mouth and stop acting like a bigshot. You have no credibility, and as far as we know, you haven't ever spent more than 30 minutes at a gym in your life.

In addition - please tell ronnie, jay, marcus, dennis, flex, dexter, dorian, and franco that legpresses are not important...or "as important" as those exercises you listed.

Lunges are great for leg endurance and tone but not for leg strength.

Same with dumbbell deadlifts which are actually the woman's version of a real deadlift...nice to see you're doing women's exercises ;-)

Deadlifts are amazing, but not an exclusive leg workout like a legpress or squat...they spend a lot of effort on the back - which is in turn not applicable.

How do you know so much about planet fitness? I assume you must be a member to be able to tell me what's allowed there and what isn't? Also, why are you making fun of gyms? I'm sure any gym is better than none.

My gyms are the following:

Golds Gym
Steel Mill Gym
World Gym

I spend my time at those 3 gyms mostly...although I will go to various other gyms and check them out from time to time.

curiously...what are your stats? lets hear your impressive accomplishments so that you can get flamed more.

ohh so hamstrings arent part of your legs?? yah legpreess> front squat right?? you left alot of things out.. a leg press has its place in bodybuilding. i give you that, but its nothing compared to real compound movements

brb toning my legs wtf are u talking about lunges are for leg toning?? just because u dont do them heavy doesnt mean that they dont build muscle. lunges are a great movement to build muscle in the ass an quads. stoping doing them with 10lb dumbells and throw a barb bell with lots of weight on it on your back an rep out. "toning" lol

brb toning my legs

according to the op of this thread lunges are for leg toning.. here is a guy who lunges more then the op can squat (mind you its alot harder to lunge 100lbs then to squat it)

this guy must be leg toning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Uk_vEw1zw

yah i guess the guy who squats as much as he bench presses knows alot about legs huh?
more leg toning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k3Hs0kXAGc

op seriously.. maybe you can speak for upper body strength, but when it comes to leg power (legs seperate the men from the boys) you need to sit down. no offense.

This post was edited by Anilator(A) on Jan 29 2009 04:40pm
Banned
Gold: 19.05
Warn: 10%
Jan 29 2009 04:31pm
Got a question. I am 189.5 meter tall, 17 yrs old, 85-88 kilos. Today I eat:

Turkey Sandwich, little choocholade, calamari + pomes frites with straw berry juice, mixed salat, 3 piece of bread, 1 liter joughurt ( 1/2 fruit / 1/2 pure), 2 small breads with aivar + salami. Is that enough or I shall eat more to gain some weight?

e- I want to reach 95 kilos + (cos I try to build little and playing basketball so need a bit more wink.gif )

Tnx!

Quote (cseitz71690 @ Thu, Jan 29 2009, 11:32pm)
rofl.gif

Would be nice if you explained your smile so I could also smile and have fun.

This post was edited by Vitan on Jan 29 2009 04:33pm
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev168697071722039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll