d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev15945955965975982039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Dec 13 2010 08:50pm
what do you think is the best way to break a bench press plateau

is there any other way than deloading
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Dec 13 2010 09:07pm
Quote (XxShAfTeDxX @ Dec 13 2010 08:50pm)
Hey raynor,

As far as workouts go, I would be considered a beginner and I'm wondering - what are the benefits of a 5v5 vs a 3 set to failure?  Is one more advanced than the other?  I'm trying to settle on a plan and I can't decide to do the 5 sets of an exercise of 5 reps or just 3 sets to failure each time.

5 sets vs 3 sets or 5 reps vs 3 reps. The choice depends on the person.

Some people respond better to the lower rep/set technique, some respond better to the higher rep/set technique. Both are great ways of proceeding with strength gains. I would recommend trying both for at least a month each to find out which one works best for you. However, for a beginner, I'd stick to 5x5.
Dec 13 2010 09:11pm
Quote (burton_clash @ Dec 13 2010 10:50pm)
what do you think is the best way to break a bench press plateau

is there any other way than deloading

Generally you can try a few things.

1. Take about 2 weeks off from the gym (I know you don't want to do this, but it does help)

if that doesn't work, proceed to the next choices:

2. Change up the chest routine - if you are doing the exact same routine each time, switch it up to something TOTALLY different. Lay off benching and stick to other chest exercises for a few weeks. Finally go back to it after about 4 weeks of different training and see if you can work up past the plateau.

3. Train bench more. If you want to break a plateau you need to train bench press 2-3x per week, but avoid other chest exercises on the same day to prevent fatigue and advanced muscular breakdown. Stick to 10 sets of HARD BENCH 3x per week. You can do pyramids, 5x5, or 1-3 rep maxes.

4. Overloads - stack on approx 50% more weight than u can handle for a 1-2 rep max and get a spotter (or 3 if needed) and force out at least 5-6 reps as FULL NEGATIVES. You can use boards if necessary and also belts/wraps are okay just no bench shirts. Do this as the last item on the chest training day

5. Switch your training type from strength to hemovascular (hypertrophic) for around 6 weeks. After this, take about a week off all together, and then come back with strength training again. By this time you should see a fairly large increase on the bench.

If none of these methods work or appeal to you, let me know and I can provide further assistance.
Dec 13 2010 09:45pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Dec 13 2010 08:11pm)

1. Take about 2 weeks off from the gym (I know you don't want to do this, but it does help)

2. Change up the chest routine - if you are doing the exact same routine each time, switch it up to something TOTALLY different. Lay off benching and stick to other chest exercises for a few weeks. Finally go back to it after about 4 weeks of different training and see if you can work up past the plateau.

3. Train bench more. If you want to break a plateau you need to train bench press 2-3x per week, but avoid other chest exercises on the same day to prevent fatigue and advanced muscular breakdown. Stick to 10 sets of HARD BENCH 3x per week. You can do pyramids, 5x5, or 1-3 rep maxes.

4. Overloads - stack on approx 50% more weight than u can handle for a 1-2 rep max and get a spotter (or 3 if needed) and force out at least 5-6 reps as FULL NEGATIVES. You can use boards if necessary and also belts/wraps are okay just no bench shirts. Do this as the last item on the chest training day

5. Switch your training type from strength to hemovascular (hypertrophic) for around 6 weeks. After this, take about a week off all together, and then come back with strength training again. By this time you should see a fairly large increase on the bench.

If none of these methods work or appeal to you, let me know and I can provide further assistance.

ty!!
Dec 13 2010 10:27pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Dec 13 2010 08:11pm)

so i do #2 first then three

and by change do you mean like instead of barbell bench, do dumbell
and instead of incline dumbell, do incline barbell?
Dec 14 2010 12:06am
Quote (burton_clash @ Dec 14 2010 12:27am)
so i do #2 first then three

and by change do you mean like instead of barbell bench, do dumbell
and instead of incline dumbell, do incline barbell?

exactly.

or alternatively try other exercises all together like weighted dips, chest press machine, db pullovers, pec deck, cable presses etc. Either way, switch it up!
Gold: 200.00
Dec 14 2010 01:02am
Hi a couple of days ago I broke my right scaphoid a bone in my wrist
So im not able to use my right arm hand
it's going to be 6-8 weeks recovery
I dont go to the gym but working as a rooftiler, surfing and being active alot keeps me in pretty reasonable shape.
Also I try and do a few sets of pushups, situps, pullups most days.

I dont want this to leave me outta shape and want to know if there are any exersises I can do so I dont loose my muscles.
I can still do situps but apart from that theres not much I can think of
eating well I guess will help, and maybe walking alot?
Gold: 2.00
Dec 14 2010 11:14am
could you clear your pm box so i can message you?
Gold: 13.90
Dec 14 2010 12:04pm
Now I bought protein powder, and take it right after I'm done with workout.

I wonder, do the muscles need protein directly afterwards workout, do they start repairing then?

Want to know when they need protein / start repairing.

Heard it is really good taking directly afterwards workout, why is that?
Gold: 236.51
Dec 14 2010 01:00pm
Hey, so for the 2011 I wanna shed massive weight and actually follow through with it. Just to give you my body type:

6'2.5-6'3"
360 lbs (yes, a big boy)
Big body frame

I originally wanted to do p90x and I figured I'd need to do it more than once but I'd need to watch out for my knees and so I thought of doing push ups on my knees (more reps I would assume) and then pull ups using resistance bands. I haven't checked the other exercises but I guess you would know. Personally, I go to an university and they have free gym but I can never get my lazy butt to go. Plus, all my classes are at like 4:30PM and I'd want to set it up to do something in the morning since I will eventually work in the school system (it's what I'm studying).

So I was wondering what you would suggest...people say start small but then also what do I do for nutrition? I would love to cook but again, so lazy. I would assume I'd need to reduce my calorie intake and have more smaller meals instead of big meals. Nothing processed and no soda and such. I mean I was wondering what kinds of tips can you give me since I'm pretty much out of the dark in that.

Thanks man! :)
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev15945955965975982039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll