d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev157585960612039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,955.00
Nov 13 2008 09:23pm
Quote (cseitz71690 @ Wed, Nov 12 2008, 10:29pm)
http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=25614364&f=60&st=0#entry152021860

Let me know what you think about a good diet for me. I would need like a very detailed one at that like what times to eat and what to eat and such. I have access to lots of stuff, I.E. food and what not. I will just have to go buy it.

Also I usually only take the weight gainer like once a day, sometimes not even that. I'm just trying to get rid of it right now, only protein supplement I have. tongue.gif I take it after I workout though for the simple sugars and of course proteins. wink.gif

Thanks a lot man.

Bump! tongue.gif
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Nov 14 2008 01:51pm
Quote (Urbain @ Thu, Nov 13 2008, 09:43pm)
For non-straight leg deadlifts and I am not trying to set a PR
Just for my sets, still the way to go?

over under grip is still probably best....try to work in a position of comfort for optimum balance and grip
Nov 14 2008 01:59pm
Quote (cseitz71690 @ Thu, Nov 13 2008, 11:23pm)
Bump! tongue.gif

Hey -

well its very simple really. for Power Lifting...you are going to want to eat at least 1,000 calories more than you burn per day. You are going to need a 40/40/20 blend of carbs/protein/fats....or at least as close to that as possible.

Complex carbs - every 2-3 hours except for first thing in the morning and right after a workout (whole grains, vegetables, etc)
Simple carbs - First thing in morning, and right after workout (fruits, white flour products, sugar, etc)
Lean fast acting protein - First thing in morning, before workout, after workout, and every 2-3 hours except for before bed. (chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs, whey protein, fish)
Fatty/Slow acting protein - Sparingly throughout the day, at least once per day, and before bed (cassein, dairy, red meat)
Good Fats - With virtually every meal (avocados, fish, olive oil, omega supplements, nuts, peanut butter, etc)

Just try to be eating every 2-3 hours to keep metabo up and anabolism high.
Keep sodium below 3,000 mg per day if possible....also try to balance with 2x potassium to 1x sodium 1x magnesium 1x calcium

Drink at least 1 gal of water per day....try for 1.5/2

Take vitamins, creatine, etc.

Custom your diet based on your own tastes but follow my core directives above.
Gold: 132.50
Nov 16 2008 02:13am
Hey Raynor

So I'm on an elite college Ultimate Frisbee team. Basically this means that I compete at "elite" levels but in a sport that doesn't give me the luxury of coaches/trainers to aid me. We do workouts as a team on the track, usually 3-4 times per week, and are supposed to lift (on our own) 3-4 times per week. In order to maximize results with my weight training, what types of lifts should i be doing? And how should i left them? I basically want to increase speed, quickness, and jumping, but also not put on too much weight so as to inhibit my endurance, as Ultimate requires a lot of it.
Also, what types of food should I eat before/after workouts? Similar to the diet you described above, even though it's for powerlifting?

To further describe my situation, I am recently coming off of an injury (fractured tibia), so I haven't lifted legs in quite a long time. I used to Squat/Dead and occasionally do hang cleans, with other things like quad curls/hamstring extensions on machines and single-leg calf raises.

Help me be a super-athlete.
Gold: 0.00
Nov 16 2008 10:46am
Just for fun - I used to lift weights way back, but now my exercise is comprised completely of self-body-weight techniques. No bars, bells, whistles. Let's see how it stacks up:

20 mins relaxed<>intense stretching

3x20 'honda' leg bend to jump
3x20 calf lift on stairs
3x30 lunge

5 mins cooldown stretching

1. 80 marine crunches
2. 35 pushups (knuckles on hard floor)

repeat 1&2 three times, varying distance/postion of hands on pushups and angle of knees on crunches

3 minute rest

2x10 chin ups
1x10 inverted chin up
2x80 leg lift
1x10 inverted pushup (elbows in parallel to chest)

cardio: 30km cycling 4x a week (bike to work), 150 laps @ 25meters 3x a week
Nov 16 2008 05:49pm
Quote (d3skjet @ Sun, Nov 16 2008, 04:13am)
Hey Raynor

So I'm on an elite college Ultimate Frisbee team.  Basically this means that I compete at "elite" levels but in a sport that doesn't give me the luxury of coaches/trainers to aid me.  We do workouts as a team on the track, usually 3-4 times per week, and are supposed to lift (on our own) 3-4 times per week.  In order to maximize results with my weight training, what types of lifts should i be doing?  And how should i left them?  I basically want to increase speed, quickness, and jumping, but also not put on too much weight so as to inhibit my endurance, as Ultimate requires a lot of it.
Also, what types of food should I eat before/after workouts?  Similar to the diet you described above, even though it's for powerlifting?

To further describe my situation, I am recently coming off of an injury (fractured tibia), so I haven't lifted legs in quite a long time.  I used to Squat/Dead and occasionally do hang cleans, with other things like quad curls/hamstring extensions on machines and single-leg calf raises.

Hey there -

essentially you need to be long and lean....with quick twitch muscle fiber in every major group of the body.

In order to achieve this you need to focus not on WHICH exercises to do...but how to do them. Focus on 12-15 reps with moderate/light weight. You need to be pumping the hell out of your muscles. As far as legs go...you will need some specific exercises....try to do leg lunges, squats, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, standing calf raises, and donkey calf raises. Do all of these with higher reps in mind.

As far as diet, the above plan will work fine. If you notice weight gain in the form of fat, cut down carbs. If you notice no gains in the way of muscle...increase protein.
Nov 16 2008 05:50pm
Quote (eurynome @ Sun, Nov 16 2008, 12:46pm)
Just for fun - I used to lift weights way back, but now my exercise is comprised completely of self-body-weight techniques. No bars, bells, whistles. Let's see how it stacks up:

20 mins relaxed<>intense stretching

3x20 'honda' leg bend to jump
3x20 calf lift on stairs
3x30 lunge

5 mins cooldown stretching

1. 80 marine crunches
2. 35 pushups (knuckles on hard floor)

repeat 1&2 three times, varying distance/postion of hands on pushups and angle of knees on crunches

3 minute rest

2x10 chin ups
1x10 inverted chin up
2x80 leg lift
1x10 inverted pushup (elbows in parallel to chest)

cardio: 30km cycling 4x a week (bike to work), 150 laps @ 25meters 3x a week

For staying in good cardiovascular shape with good muscular response and added definition - your routine is perfectly fine. I would continue this plan...but ultimately a gym is the way to go =)
Gold: 1,574.00
Nov 16 2008 08:49pm
Quote (d3skjet @ Sun, Nov 16 2008, 08:13am)
Hey Raynor

So I'm on an elite college Ultimate Frisbee team.  Basically this means that I compete at "elite" levels but in a sport that doesn't give me the luxury of coaches/trainers to aid me.  We do workouts as a team on the track, usually 3-4 times per week, and are supposed to lift (on our own) 3-4 times per week.  In order to maximize results with my weight training, what types of lifts should i be doing?  And how should i left them?  I basically want to increase speed, quickness, and jumping, but also not put on too much weight so as to inhibit my endurance, as Ultimate requires a lot of it.
Also, what types of food should I eat before/after workouts?  Similar to the diet you described above, even though it's for powerlifting?

To further describe my situation, I am recently coming off of an injury (fractured tibia), so I haven't lifted legs in quite a long time.  I used to Squat/Dead and occasionally do hang cleans, with other things like quad curls/hamstring extensions on machines and single-leg calf raises.

wooo hooooo UW- Madison!!!! finally another dude
Gold: 20,838.07
Nov 17 2008 11:24am
Whats better, free weights or resistance training (ie rubber ropes) for NOT bulking up but like getting slim and bulk (hard to explain). Cause i see "bowflex" advertising that the key to their product is resistance in their machines. hit me up with a pm as i find it hard to track these posts.

BK
Nov 17 2008 01:53pm
Quote (billykwan25 @ Mon, Nov 17 2008, 01:24pm)
Whats better, free weights or resistance training (ie rubber ropes) for NOT bulking up but like getting slim and bulk (hard to explain).  Cause i see "bowflex" advertising that the key to their product is resistance in their machines.  hit me up with a pm as i find it hard to track these posts.

BK

Short answer....BOTH.

You need to be able to do both kinds of exercises in order to hit all key muscle groups and work different angles and stress your body beyond its normal limits....even if it is just to get lean and muscular.

Never do just ONE type of training...you always have to keep it mixed up. Throw in different exercises every few weeks to confused the muscles...in addition to changing up your training patterns (reps, weight, sets, etc)
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev157585960612039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll