d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev15715725735745752039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 13.90
Nov 21 2010 06:00am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 18 2010 04:36pm)
Ok for both of you then, here is a full weekly plan for hypertrophy along with basic guidelines and supplement explanations.

Supplements:

Multi Vitamins are for overall baseline health and optimal muscular and recovery function.
Vitamin C has anabolic properties as well as antioxidant properties which both assist in hypertrophy
Vitamin D has immense anabolic and immune properties. It's basically a wonder vitamin. People who take 5,000 IU of vitamin D per day see more muscle increases, get sick much less frequently, and recover faster than those who do not take it.
Creatine goes without saying - it assists in muscle growth through saturation (primarily of water and additional nutrients) which swell the muscles and assist in the growth process through increased uptake of nutrition to the muscles as well.
Arginine + Ornithine improves your vascularity by dilating your blood vessels and improving the pump you get with each set. In addition in improves your recovery when you sleep.
ZMA assists in anabolic function and is particularly helpful when taken before going to bed. Athletes who took ZMA regularly saw a big strength increase over the placebo group for a 1 month period.
BCAA's keep the metabolism on track and prevents muscle wasting through extended workout sessions or periods of time without eating. It is best every 45 mins before/during/after training and before bed.

Basic Guidelines:

Get at least 8 hrs of sleep per night
Drink at least 1-1.5 gal of water per day
Eat at least 500 cal more than your basal metabolism needs per day (all from clean sources) - use a BMR calculator to figure out what you need...although hardgainers will need approx 50% more cal intake than others.
Don't get lazy....the more days you take off from the gym, the worse your gains will be. You need a strict routine to follow every week.
Get enough good fats in your diet. Good fat and cholesterol boost testosterone and assist in body fat loss. Get at least 60-80g good fat every day.
Drink casein shake or eat cottage cheese before bed to sustain metabolism throughout the night.

Workout plan for hypertrophy:

[Perform all exercises as follows: 1. Warmup set (15ish reps light weight), 2. First set (wait about 30 seconds after warmup, then do 10-12 reps medium weight), 3. Second set (wait about 30-45 seconds after second set then do 8-10 reps medium/heavy weight), 4. Third Set (wait about 1 minute after second set then do 75% of max weight for as many reps as possible until failure, rack the weight, wait 5-10 seconds and get it again for as many reps as possible until failure), 5. Fourth Set ( wait 1 minute after third set then do the Same as third set), 6. Fifth Set (WITHOUT RESTING after the fourth set, cut the weight in half and immediately go until failure again).

The only exception to these exercises are supersets which will be performed with medium/heavy weight and both exercises done until failure, wait 60 seconds, then repeat the process with a MILD weight increase (5-10% max increase). The key with supersets is just to keep going and fight the burn and get as many reps as possible with medium/heavy weight.

Mon (chest/bis) - Incline Bench Press, Flat Bench Press, Incline DB Flies SUPERSET with Flat DB Flies, Wide-grip Dips (weighted if possible), lying DB pullovers, Low cable crossovers SUPERSET w/ high cable crossovers. Standing olympic bar curls, seated E-Z Bar preacher curls, Standing DB curls SUPERSET w/ seated DB hammer curls, Concentration DB curls, High cable curls (looks like a standing double-bicep pose) SUPERSET w/ low cable bicep curls.

Tues (Back/Tris) - Straight-Leg Deadlifts, Seated Cable Rows, Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns, T-Bar Rows, Bent over DB Rows SUPERSET w/ Lawnmower DB Rows, Good Mornings Superset w/ Lower Back Hyperextensions, Bent Over Barbell Rows. Cable Tricep Pulldowns (Rope or V-Bar), One-Arm tricep cable pulldowns SUPERSET w/ One-Arm tricep cable kickbacks, DB Kickbacks, Seated DB Skullcrushers SUPERSET w/ laying EZ-bar skullcrushers, Close-Grip machine dips.

Weds (Legs/Shoulders) - Barbell Squats (ATG), Plate loaded Leg Press, Leg Extension SUPERSET w/ Leg Curls (laying or seated), DB Lunges, Hip Abductor SUPERSET w/ Hip Adductor, Standing Calf Raise Machine, Donkey Calf Raises SUPERSET w/ Seated Calf-Raises. Seated Military Press, DB Shoulder Press, DB Arnold Press SUPERSET w/ DB Front raises, DB Lat raises (normal 2 arm method) SUPERSET w/ one arm slow-decline lat raises, DB Shrugs, Barbell Shrugs.

Thurs - REST

Fri - Repeat Monday

Sat - Repeat Tuesday

Sun - Repeat Weds

Mon - OFF

Now the only part I didn't mention was abs and cardio. For Abs, you can train them 3-4 times per week (although you only really need 2x per week) on whatever days suit you. Consider ab training on your easier days. So whichever 2 of the 3 days are the easier days, throw ab training on those days. If you can't get abs more than 1-2 days per week, that is fine and shouldn't really matter all that much.

Abs - 30 minutes ab instinct training (yep, just like arnold) - basically you jump from a plethora of ab exercises without stopping in between. You are going to jump from exercise to exercise and perform them all until failure (weighted exercises until failure - for bodyweight ab exercises, just do 20-25 reps). After 30 minutes of ab instinct training is over, hang from a pullup bar for 30-60 seconds to stretch out the abs sufficiently.

For cardio, this is totally optional. If you start detecting fat gains, you can throw in 20 mins of HIIT cardio every morning and 15-20 mins post-workout every day. If you aren't gaining fat, forget cardio all together.

Got some questions about this sentence I just bolded.

So I need to know my 1RM on every exercise? like my 1RM Bicep DB Curl, Tricep Cable Pushdowns, and so on :O ?

Or how can I know my 75% of max? Any range of repetiotions you can do at 75%?

Also, when you say I gonna do as many as I can, and then rack the weight and waqit 5-10 seconds, does this mean I go same weight again?

Sorry I'm not too good in english, so I didn't understand what ''Rack the weight'' did mean.

Thanks.
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Nov 21 2010 10:50am
Quote (SyB_BaM @ Nov 21 2010 08:00am)
Got some questions about this sentence I just bolded.

So I need to know my 1RM on every exercise? like my 1RM Bicep DB Curl, Tricep Cable Pushdowns, and so on :O ?

Or how can I know my 75% of max? Any range of repetiotions you can do at 75%?

Also, when you say I gonna do as many as I can, and then rack the weight and waqit 5-10 seconds, does this mean I go same weight again?

Sorry I'm not too good in english, so I didn't understand what ''Rack the weight'' did mean.

Thanks.

Yes, know your ROUGH 1RM for every exercise. You can pretty much get a good idea what your 1RM is just by trying starting out at about 25% higher than your usual working sets and go up from there until you hit your 1RM.

75% reps is usually around 3-5 reps max.

Rack the weight means put it back where it normally sits (or on the floor)

Gold: 0.00
Nov 21 2010 10:57am
Sup Raynor, lmk.

Powerblock or Bowflex dumbells for a home gym.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=50133555&f=60&o=0#p334324623
Nov 21 2010 11:34am
Quote (factor_z @ Nov 21 2010 12:57pm)
Sup Raynor, lmk.

Powerblock or Bowflex dumbells for a home gym.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=50133555&f=60&o=0#p334324623

I've actually used both.

Bang for the buck...powerblock is better.

Overall, powerblock is better.

I don't really have any reason to pick the bowflex over the powerblock...so go for the powerblock.
Gold: 75.00
Nov 21 2010 12:08pm
Raynor, is there any negative effect that you know of if someone decides to drink 1 gallon of milk a day + eating 1 dozen eggs a day?

that in addition to: Eating fruits throughout the day, munching on celery sticks, as well as whole wheat bread?

That seems like the best that I can do given the time that I got.
Gold: 13.90
Nov 21 2010 01:30pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Nov 21 2010 04:50pm)
Yes, know your ROUGH 1RM for every exercise. You can pretty much get a good idea what your 1RM is just by trying starting out at about 25% higher than your usual working sets and go up from there until you hit your 1RM.

75% reps is usually around 3-5 reps max.

Rack the weight means put it back where it normally sits (or on the floor)

Thanks.

So let's say I do 6 reps on that set, should I increase weight then or when do I do this?

Also, for an example on Chest day -

Do I make that warmup + medium set and all that on all exercise, or just on first exercise?. And just go with this last ones for rest? - 4. Third Set (wait about 1 minute after second set then do 75% of max weight for as many reps as possible until failure, rack the weight, wait 5-10 seconds and get it again for as many reps as possible until failure), 5. Fourth Set ( wait 1 minute after third set then do the Same as third set), 6. Fifth Set (WITHOUT RESTING after the fourth set, cut the weight in half and immediately go until failure again).

This post was edited by SyB_BaM on Nov 21 2010 01:34pm
Gold: 1,310.23
Nov 21 2010 02:24pm
Set 1 – 5 reps of 50% max weight
Set 2 – 5 reps of 55% max weight
Set 3 – 5 reps of 60% max weight
Set 4 – 5 reps of 65% max weight
Set 5 – 5 reps of 75% max weight

if i use those % for 5x5, all my sets are going to be tooo easy.

i estamated my 1rm at 270lbs for bench
(if my math is correct)
135x5
150x5
160x5
185x5
200x5

my sets usually go like..
135x12
205x8
225x5
235x5
250x3

are those % used for beginners or something lol?

This post was edited by TheOak on Nov 21 2010 02:24pm
Gold: 192.00
Nov 21 2010 03:34pm
Creatine goes without saying - it assists in muscle growth through saturation (primarily of water and additional nutrients) which swell the muscles and assist in the growth process through increased uptake of nutrition to the muscles as well.

is this the only reason that creatine assists in gains?

i always understood that it helps in another way that is much more important than the swelling properties
Nov 22 2010 12:14am
Quote (MegaVovaN @ Nov 21 2010 02:08pm)
Raynor, is there any negative effect that you know of if someone decides to drink 1 gallon of milk a day + eating 1 dozen eggs a day?

that in addition to: Eating fruits throughout the day, munching on celery sticks, as well as whole wheat bread?

That seems like the best that I can do given the time that I got.

Nothing wrong with that at all....other than there is a lack of meat in that diet...eggs and milk are great, but some chicken/beef/fish at least once a day would be more complete.

edit: also make sure it's WHOLE GRAIN bread...whole wheat is useless unless it's whole brain.

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Nov 22 2010 12:15am
Nov 22 2010 12:17am
Quote (SyB_BaM @ Nov 21 2010 03:30pm)
Thanks.

So let's say I do 6 reps on that set, should I increase weight then or when do I do this?

Also, for an example on Chest day -

Do I make that warmup + medium set and all that on all exercise, or just on first exercise?. And just go with this last ones for rest? - 4. Third Set (wait about 1 minute after second set then do 75% of max weight for as many reps as possible until failure, rack the weight, wait 5-10 seconds and get it again for as many reps as possible until failure), 5. Fourth Set ( wait 1 minute after third set then do the Same as third set), 6. Fifth Set (WITHOUT RESTING after the fourth set, cut the weight in half and immediately go until failure again).

No...you are staying at 75% weight for the 3rd set and 4th set. The 5th set is 50% of the 75% weight...so basically 37.5% (so basically 35-40% of max)
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev15715725735745752039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll