d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev14244254264274282039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 32.50
May 11 2010 01:33pm
Hey quick question here, i need to gain some weight, I am weighting about 150 pounds and I'm 6ft at 19 years old an want to gain at least 20 pounds to be around 170, because i am moving to Alaska in a year or so and will be working on fishing boats and need that extra muscle. I have tried Body Fortress Protein Shakes but it seems like i was just gaining stomach fat then anything else. A friend of mine told me to try Muscle Milk but haven't tried it yet. I'm currently doing a little bit of weight lifting but not much but this summer i will be hitting the gym almost every weekend. I eat 2-3 meals a day and that's it maybe a snack here an there. What i am pretty much asking is what protein shakes are best to drink after a workout and when trying to gain some muscle. Thanks for your help.
Gold: 115,229.43
May 11 2010 01:44pm
I read a lot of your other posts...you mentioned this: "3. Right before bed take 1 cup of cottage cheese w/ cinnamon and add the olive oil to it or take separately. Alternate is to take Optimum Casein protein right before bed as well - either way you need one or the other to sustain fat loss throughout sleep."

You originally had me eating cottage cheese...I told you I couldn't eat it, and you said protein shake (probably Optimum Casein) is an acceptable substitute.
I don't think I use optimum casein. I've been using ON Gold Standard 100% Whey (24g protein 1g sugar, 3g carb, 1g fat, .5g saturated fat). This is the same protein I make my shake with throughout the day. Do I need a special bed time protein?

I also mix up my protein intake before bed, or might add a 7th meal depending on how long my day was. For example, lastnight I made 3 scrambled eggs and had a side of half an orange pepper about 45 minutes before I go to sleep.

Lastly, because of my daily schedule, sometimes I need to eat my chicken w/ salad (meal #5) right before I workout. If I do that, I usually leave about 20 minutes before I start my lift.

Am I allowing enough time between meals and sleep/workout time?

This post was edited by illsonmedia on May 11 2010 01:45pm
Gold: 1,310.23
May 11 2010 01:54pm
Quote (illsonmedia @ May 11 2010 02:44pm)
I read a lot of your other posts...you mentioned this: "3. Right before bed take 1 cup of cottage cheese w/ cinnamon and add the olive oil to it or take separately. Alternate is to take Optimum Casein protein right before bed as well - either way you need one or the other to sustain fat loss throughout sleep."

You originally had me eating cottage cheese...I told you I couldn't eat it, and you said protein shake (probably Optimum Casein) is an acceptable substitute.
I don't think I use optimum casein. I've been using ON Gold Standard 100% Whey (24g protein 1g sugar, 3g carb, 1g fat, .5g saturated fat). This is the same protein I make my shake with throughout the day. Do I need a special bed time protein?

I also mix up my protein intake before bed, or might add a 7th meal depending on how long my day was. For example, lastnight I made 3 scrambled eggs and had a side of half an orange pepper about 45 minutes before I go to sleep.

Lastly, because of my daily schedule, sometimes I need to eat my chicken w/ salad (meal #5) right before I workout. If I do that, I usually leave about 20 minutes before I start my lift.

r u trying to cut?
Gold: 185.13
May 11 2010 07:21pm
What should my diet look like if I'm bulking but don't drink whey?(Includes the meal after a workout)

:)
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
May 11 2010 08:01pm
Quote (Kiston @ May 11 2010 03:14pm)
casien powder is like 40$

can i just use half a scoop (12g) + a cup of milk for the extra 10g protein? lets me use the casein for double the length.

or is 24g casein atleast advised?

you can actually do 1 scoop + milk before bed as the poor-man's approach
Gold: 5,016.77
May 11 2010 08:03pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ May 11 2010 02:58am)
someone has asked me this one other time on the thread...about 50-60 pages back if I recall...

I'm thinking this is trolling but just to be safe...

It is very harmful to your health to drink your own urine - it is excreted as waste for a reason...not meant to be consumed unless it is in the most absolutely DIRE situations where there simply is no water....and even there using the distillation method would be the only suitable way for extended consumption.

There are no true health benefits to this.

Not trolling, just curious because a few professional MMA fighters do it.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 100%
May 11 2010 08:16pm
Quote (IceMage @ May 11 2010 10:03pm)

stupid idea... really.

just because you excrete some vitamins and hormones in your piss doesn't mean its beneficial

it's like saying you should eat shit because it might contain some undigest nutrients
May 11 2010 08:56pm
Quote (pure619 @ May 11 2010 03:33pm)
Hey quick question here, i need to gain some weight, I am weighting about 150 pounds and I'm 6ft at 19 years old an want to gain at least 20 pounds to be around 170, because i am moving to Alaska in a year or so and will be working on fishing boats and need that extra muscle. I have tried Body Fortress Protein Shakes but it seems like i was just gaining stomach fat then anything else. A friend of mine told me to try Muscle Milk but haven't tried it yet. I'm currently doing a little bit of weight lifting but not much but this summer i will be hitting the gym almost every weekend. I eat 2-3 meals a day and that's it maybe a snack here an there. What i am pretty much asking is what protein shakes are best to drink after a workout and when trying to gain some muscle. Thanks for your help.

Hey there.

For post-workout protein there are several choices for different purposes:

1. For bulking or someone who has a hard time gaining weight (hard gainers) - Cytosport Cytogainer

2. For lean bulking or someone of average size trying to gain additional mass - Cytosport Muscle Milk and/or Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex

3. For Cutting or someone trying to simply add additional post-workout protein - NOW! 100% whey Isolate

May 11 2010 08:59pm
Quote (illsonmedia @ May 11 2010 03:44pm)

Lastly, because of my daily schedule, sometimes I need to eat my chicken w/ salad (meal #5) right before I workout.  If I do that, I usually leave about 20 minutes before I start my lift.

Hey there. For pre-bedtime protein it is really best to use Casein instead of regular whey protein. Casein is slow digesting - you can either mix 1 scoop with milk or 2 scoops with water to achieve the desired outcome of sustained metabolism throughout the night. Optimum Casein is great

edit:

also forgot to answer ur other questions:

try to space the eggs out at least 1.5 hours before bed if you choose to do the casein shake routine before sleep.

lastly...that is enough time for chicken and salad to begin digestion and then work out

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on May 11 2010 09:01pm
May 11 2010 09:05pm
Quote (IceMage @ May 11 2010 10:03pm)

that's horrible lol....no offense to the MMA guys - but 95% of them have really bad diet/nutrition/workout routine advice. Their fighting skill is very good...but as far as overall quality of health in the form of muscle/fat, overall strength, as well as total body health - they are FAR behind that of professional bodybuilders/powerlifters/strongmen/fitness models and most athletes. I'm not sure what to attribute this to, but I have trained quite a few at the gym - most of which came to me with HORRIBLE previous health practices. The others that I know in person have equally atrocious ideas about health and fitness. If someone was to combine the fantastic form and skill of some of the top MMA fighters with the proper nutrition, endurance, and physical strength of professional bodybuilders/powerlifters/strongmen....then you would have quite an unstoppable force.

Mariusz Pudzianowski might fulfill this role...not sure yet...but there's a good possibility.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev14244254264274282039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll