d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev13133143153163172039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Feb 16 2010 02:00pm
Quote (eSora @ Feb 16 2010 03:40pm)
Thanks, so would higher test mean better gains?

yes exactly
Gold: 6,670.00
Feb 16 2010 02:04pm
Sup gain SKC - Thanks for the ulcer/sickness guide, they did subside in size and in pain and sore throat i gone.

Another question specific to basketball.

I'm 6'3'' and I gain jump pretty high, on good days, I can throw down a one handed dunk. The only time I did it were in game, usually with girls present. Is this a coincidence or adrenaline working here. I think
I gained roughly 3-5 inches just by playing against some high school girls.

Also, I'm looking to gain inches in vertical leap. I was wondering if you know the physics behind dunking.

I work my calves, I do a lot of plyometric/squat workouts, yet I don't see much improvement. Any help in increasing vertical leap?
Feb 16 2010 02:12pm
Quote (Babolat @ Feb 16 2010 04:04pm)
Sup gain SKC - Thanks for the ulcer/sickness guide, they did subside in size and in pain and sore throat i gone.

Another question specific to basketball.

I'm 6'3'' and I gain jump pretty high, on good days, I can throw down a one handed dunk.  The only time I did it were in game, usually with girls present.  Is this a coincidence or adrenaline working here.  I think
I gained roughly 3-5 inches just by playing against some high school girls.

Also, I'm looking to gain inches in vertical leap.  I was wondering if you know the physics behind dunking.

I work my calves, I do a lot of plyometric/squat workouts, yet I don't see much improvement.  Any help in increasing vertical leap?

Hey there...glad to see my help worked out for you.

As for the jumping...yes you'd be surprised how much some female motivation can do in the way of both strength and ability. You have the ability inside of you (obviously) but to bring it out sometimes takes some persuasion. The key is to master that ability without the needed persuasion. To do this, you are going to need to gain mind-muscle control through visualization and meditation. Confidence in yourself can work wonders...it will take time and practice.

in order to increase your vertical leap, calves are very important, but the ACTUAL action itself is MORE important. You body uses everything from calves, hams/quads, hips, abs, lats, pecs, etc in order to perform a vertical jump.

With this in mind - the BEST way for you to gain vertical jump would be to recreate vertical jump with plenty of ankle weights and even wrist weights. This will add just enough safe weight to increase your vertical jump (without weights) by a marginal amount. Through practicing the jumping itself will adapt your body to get better at it. The more you jump the better....keep trying to get higher and higher.

Also hanging from a straight bar and letting your lower spine drop can help add 1/2 - 1 inch of height by decompressing your spine.
Gold: 6,670.00
Feb 16 2010 02:18pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Feb 16 2010 08:12pm)
Hey there...glad to see my help worked out for you.

As for the jumping...yes you'd be surprised how much some female motivation can do in the way of both strength and ability. You have the ability inside of you (obviously) but to bring it out sometimes takes some persuasion. The key is to master that ability without the needed persuasion. To do this, you are going to need to gain mind-muscle control through visualization and meditation. Confidence in yourself can work wonders...it will take time and practice.

in order to increase your vertical leap, calves are very important, but the ACTUAL action itself is MORE important. You body uses everything from calves, hams/quads, hips, abs, lats, pecs, etc in order to perform a vertical jump.

With this in mind - the BEST way for you to gain vertical jump would be to recreate vertical jump with plenty of ankle weights and even wrist weights. This will add just enough safe weight to increase your vertical jump (without weights) by a marginal amount. Through practicing the jumping itself will adapt your body to get better at it. The more you jump the better....keep trying to get higher and higher.

Also hanging from a straight bar and letting your lower spine drop can help add 1/2 - 1 inch of height by decompressing your spine.

Not sure if you are familiar with sport psychology but are there any mental exercises to do before sleep like meditation or imagery and how could I do these?
Gold: 673.00
Feb 16 2010 03:07pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Feb 15 2010 10:15pm)
lol...this is a very valid question...but it always makes me laugh.

Whole eggs are very healthy for you. Ignore the quack science that tells you it will raise your cholesterol levels. That is pure hogwash.

Cholesterol levels are not increased by the pure ingestion of cholesterol rich foods...if that was true, then anyone with a low cholesterol diet would have low cholesterol right? WRONG.

heres the facts:

1. A 2:1 ratio of Unsaturated fats vs Saturated fats is necessary to keep cholesterol levels in the blood under control. (example, 2g unsat fat to every 1g sat fat MINIMUM)

2. A "higher" level of cholesterol in the blood activates the body's production of additional testosterone and support anabolism.

3. Avoiding trans-fats GREATLY decreases the risk of elevated cholesterol levels

Now a basic science explaination behind this.

Excess saturated fat in the blood will eventually become congealed in the arteries and blood vessels. This causes the body to engage the saturated fat (thinking it is an invader) by sending white blood cells to attack. The white blood cells start getting stuck in the saturated fat and become congealed further - this begins the occlusion of blood vessels. Then when cholesterol molecules pass by in the blood, they also become stuck in the sticky congealed mess around each of the arteries and various blood vessels.

THE SOLUTION TO THE STICKY SITUATION -

Take in a LOT of HDL fats (these "good" fats are found mostly in olive oil, avocados, flax, fish, etc.) As you consume these rich HDL fats, the mono and poly unsaturated fats go to work in your blood stream acting like a sponge, scooping up all the bad fats that are stuck to your artery and blood vessel walls and flushing it through successfully thus breaking up occlusion.

So the ideal environment of fat for the bodybuilder human body is as follows:

1. 2:1 or better ratio of HDL to LDL fats (unsat vs sat)

2. Plenty of cholesterol (remember, cholesterol is the simplest form of steroid in the body and causes testosterone productions and anabolism as well as recovery)

3. No Trans Fats

Also to address the bit on eggs....

An average LARGE "egglands best" egg has 1g saturated fat and 3g unsaturated fat - this is a 3-to-1 ratio of good fats to bad fats...which classifies eggs as a good food that you can eat as much of as you want without ill effects. To make it even better...add olive oil to your eggs and benefit even further.

However, eggs by themselves are fine - and will never raise cholesterol levels - unless of course you like to add copious amounts of Crisco shortening to your eggs ;-)

Edit:

OMEGA 3-6-9 Supplements are also great to take with every food meal (not with shakes)

very helpful post. i appreciate it, m9.
Gold: 2.30
Feb 16 2010 04:16pm
quick quesiton, whats a good workout to get big round shoulders? And how long will it take?
Feb 16 2010 05:34pm
Quote (Babolat @ Feb 16 2010 04:18pm)
Not sure if you are familiar with sport psychology but are there any mental exercises to do before sleep like meditation or imagery and how could I do these?

yes I am familiar.

You need to use a process of pure visualization along with deep breathing and mental focus. Try a dark room with no outside sounds or distractions. Sit in a comfortable position and pay attention to nothing but your breathing. After you do this for several minutes you will feel released into a better state of consciousness. At this point start thinking of nothing but your jump. Over and over, replay in your mind your jump as you see it progressively getting bigger and better. Just keep replaying this imagery over and over and then after several more minutes of this - you will feel like you have accepted it as truth....immediately stop meditation and go back to daily activity.

As for visualization WHILE playing....take deep breaths and try to focus all of your energy on the task at hand. Try to zone out everyone around you and pretend that there is only you. Feel the core of your being provide one swift bang of energy that you will then utilize in your jump. Don't think you will fail, only think that you are succeeding. Push thoughts of failure aside. Pretend failure doesn't exist.

Both of these will help quite a bit over time.
Feb 16 2010 05:36pm
Quote (toddavid @ Feb 16 2010 06:16pm)
quick quesiton, whats a good workout to get big round shoulders? And how long will it take?

hemovascular training for the shoulders....

Lots of front and lat raises, arnold presses, seated dumbbell or barbell military presses, regular and reverse shrugs, and lastly barbell raises.

Do all of these in reverse pyramid scheme (heaviest first for only a few possible reps, and immediately work down in weight without taking breaks and failing with each set each time.

Do 5 sets of each exercise in this breakdown format.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 16 2010 06:44pm
people say that if u eat often u increase metabolism.

does that mean if u eat say 5 almonds every 15 min u can increase metab and protein synthesis?
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Feb 16 2010 07:15pm
So just out of curiousity, similar to Bail's question. Are whole eggs also healthy for an older person, for example a 50 year old, 6'0" 230 lbs who isn't very active? Would they still be "beneficial for them"? Would it harm? Coudl they consume to many? please let me know :) thank you for you time in advance

Also, had a killer leg workout today just saying, but during leg curls I can't get all the way so I had my friend push the weight a lil closer, and then my legs were able to go a little further, but then I got a sharp like cramping pain in my upper hammy. Anyway for me to get more flexiblility there? and also I don't like how I can't get as low as I should be able to during back squats. I would like to be able to do those lifts properly, can you help me out at all?

This post was edited by GodLovesUgly on Feb 16 2010 07:20pm
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev13133143153163172039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll