d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev12272282292302312039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Nov 2 2009 01:25pm
Quote (Paraphernalia @ Nov 1 2009 06:44am)
Got any Recent Pictures? Your profile ones seem outdated and your new Ava makes you looked mad jacked ;)

Anyway, what would you recommend for Workouts that can be done at home?

I have Weights / Bench and would like a steady workout for my Upper Body.

Also, for cardio, is it acceptable to replace Jogging / Running with Skipping? What are the Pros / Cons of each?

hey, no recent pics...haven't been in the best of life situations - and this isn't on my priority list...will let everyone know when I have some new ones.

for your @ home workout try doing the "classic routine"

mon - bench press 10 sets (5 going up then 5 going back down), DB pec flies (5 sets), incline pushups (5 sets until failure)
tues - straight leg deadlifts (5 sets), bent over BB rows (5 sets), lawnmower rows (5 sets), pull-ups (5 sets until failure)
weds - standing gorilla press (5 sets), DB front raises (5 sets up then 5 sets down), DB and BB shoulder shrugs (3 sets of each)
thurs - BB squats (5 sets up and 5 sets down), DB lunges (5 sets), standing calf raises (5 sets)
fri - BB preacher curls (5 sets), BB skullcrushers (5 sets), alternating DB curls (5 sets), close grip bench press (5 sets)
sat - cardio
sun - cardio

jogging being replaced with running and skipping isn't bad...aside from skipping making you look goofy to most people and drawing attention while you do it...if you don't care about this, then it's fine. Skipping actually helps build calves faster than any other type of running/jogging exercise (except running on the beach which builds giant calves). Just keep your heart rate around 135-140 and do cardio for no more than 45 mins at a time.
Gold: 120.00
Nov 2 2009 01:32pm
So taking your advice I juiced just an entire head of cabbage w/o the green apple.

Whats your thoughts on me juicing veggies in light of not getting enough of them through food and am I still getting the fat cutting aspect of the Cabbage by doing this?
Nov 2 2009 02:50pm
Quote (Boxa @ Nov 2 2009 03:32pm)
So taking your advice I juiced just an entire head of cabbage w/o the green apple.

Whats your thoughts on me juicing veggies in light of not getting enough of them through food and am I still getting the fat cutting aspect of the Cabbage by doing this?

yes and no...

juicing retains all nutrients as a regular veggie or fruit...however, if you juice you remove almost all the metabolism enhancing properties that are found in the digestion process of whole foods. The argument for juicing is that it is not meant to cut fat or increase fat loss...but rather to provide essential nutrients from fruits and veggies without having to sit down and eat them (saving yourself a lot of time and chewing lol) - however the process of chewing and masticating your food with saliva and beginning it on the path of digestion leads to more calories burned and metabolism increased in the process.

Make your choice accordingly.
Gold: 120.00
Nov 2 2009 04:16pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Nov 2 2009 03:50pm)
yes and no...

juicing retains all nutrients as a regular veggie or fruit...however, if you juice you remove almost all the metabolism enhancing properties that are found in the digestion process of whole foods. The argument for juicing is that it is not meant to cut fat or increase fat loss...but rather to provide essential nutrients from fruits and veggies without having to sit down and eat them (saving yourself a lot of time and chewing lol) - however the process of chewing and masticating your food with saliva and beginning it on the path of digestion leads to more calories burned and metabolism increased in the process.

Hmm...so I drank that shit for nothing lol.

Thanks Raynor.
Nov 2 2009 11:16pm
Quote (Boxa @ Nov 2 2009 06:16pm)
Hmm...so I drank that shit for nothing lol.

Thanks Raynor.

lol you got all the nutrients from it - not for nothing.
Gold: 1,551.68
Nov 3 2009 01:41am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Nov 2 2009 02:50pm)
yes and no...

not sure if it applies here but there is a saying "drink your food and chew your water"
meaning eat slow and chew well

also, what are some good books or magazines you read? Health related ofc

This post was edited by Honestly on Nov 3 2009 01:42am
Nov 3 2009 02:07am
Quote (Honestly @ Nov 3 2009 03:41am)
not sure if it applies here but there is a saying "drink your food and chew your water"
meaning eat slow and chew well

also, what are some good books or magazines you read? Health related ofc

this is true...eating slowly and taking time to chew and digest your food properly results in optimal nutrient usage and metabolic effects.

as for books and magazines in relation to health and fitness there are a plethora.

Arnold's encyclopedia of bodybuilding is fantastic...I highly recommend this book.

as for magazines.....M&F, Flex, and Musclemag are my favs...but a lot of their stuff is repeated or contradicted over the years...I usually buy them to read up on bios and various training/diet routines used by top bodybuilders/powerlifters just to contrast and compare for entertainment (most of the diets/exercise plans listed are BS anyway...real pros never share their well kept secrets)
Gold: 1,955.00
Nov 3 2009 06:52am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Nov 3 2009 04:07am)
this is true...eating slowly and taking time to chew and digest your food properly results in optimal nutrient usage and metabolic effects.

as for books and magazines in relation to health and fitness there are a plethora.

Arnold's encyclopedia of bodybuilding is fantastic...I highly recommend this book.

as for magazines.....M&F, Flex, and Musclemag are my favs...but a lot of their stuff is repeated or contradicted over the years...I usually buy them to read up on bios and various training/diet routines used by top bodybuilders/powerlifters just to contrast and compare for entertainment (most of the diets/exercise plans listed are BS anyway...real pros never share their well kept secrets)

I have that, haven't read it too much though. :(
either that or some book like that. lol

This post was edited by cseitz71690 on Nov 3 2009 06:52am
Gold: 73.71
Nov 3 2009 08:48pm
Hey Raynor, I could really use some help in this, I have the opportunity of a lifetime.
Quote (kbk @ Nov 3 2009 09:41pm)
Alright, I'm 17 years old, and I love to play soccer, I am pretty good too if I might say so.
My cousins in Italy play for a 2nd division Italian team, and my father used to play at a high level.
This summer I am going to Italy, and will most likely get a try out (Details being worked out)
So I am very, very excited! :D

Anyways, I have increased my cardio, I do 42 minutes of HIIT on a treadmill, and usually on other days use a spin bike for 50 minutes, and I've been incorporating weight training to that.

My gains in cardio have been decent.
I want to start training as hard as I can from tomorrow to June.
I want to use this opportunity, it has been my dream for ever since I can remember.

Can anyone give me a routine that allows me to get great gains?
Weights + Cardio?

I'm planning to up my cardio to at least 60 minutes a day 5 days a week, rest is saturday and soccer is sunday, where I go all out anyways (It's indoor, so just for the shits and giggs).

Thanks everyone for reading!!!
I am so excited right now :O

I am pretty much looking for a cardio routine that I can get faster and gain endurance.
Keep in mind, I am already in pretty good shape, trying to get into great shape.

Supplements I am on:
Fish Oil.
BCAA's.

I also have protein shakes, been cleaning up my diet over the past month.

To keep this short, I need to improve my cardio.
It is going to be winter soon, in Canada so mass snow and cold temperatures.
So is the treadmill and Spin bike sufficient?
Should I find some indoor space where I can actually sprint/run? Indoor track.
How can I incorporate weights into my workout? My gains are strictly cardio based, but that doesn't mean I don't need weight training as well?
For my diet, I've cleaned it up somewhat, is there any supplements you can reccomend? I was reading Orange triad is a very good multi vitamin to have.
Nov 4 2009 01:53am
Quote (kbk @ Nov 3 2009 10:48pm)
Hey Raynor, I could really use some help in this, I have the opportunity of a lifetime.

To keep this short, I need to improve my cardio.
It is going to be winter soon, in Canada so mass snow and cold temperatures.
So is the treadmill and Spin bike sufficient?
Should I find some indoor space where I can actually sprint/run? Indoor track.
How can I incorporate weights into my workout? My gains are strictly cardio based, but that doesn't mean I don't need weight training as well?
For my diet, I've cleaned it up somewhat, is there any supplements you can reccomend? I was reading Orange triad is a very good multi vitamin to have.

Hey there.

1. Treadmill and Spin bike are fine, but yes I would add actual flat surface running (preferably for suicides/shuttle run sprints)
2. For weights, you will need to focus on endurance of the legs - that means hitting squats, lunges, and calf raises....light/medium weight, very high failure reps and force fast-twitch muscle growth by exploding to the top of each rep, and letting it down slowly....so for a squat you would explode up and go down slow, for lunges the same way, and for calf raises the same way as well. If you do not have access to a gym, use your own bodyweight to perform these exercises. Try to do this routine every other day for roughly 5 sets per exercise.
3. orange triad is a good multi because it also has joint support, minerals, and herbs. I would recommend NOW! Adam or Orange Triad as your multi. Also try a good thermogenic like GAT - Jet Fuel. Also, BCAA's are a necessity before/during/after any exercises and between meals to prevent muscle loss and increase metabolism.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev12272282292302312039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll