d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev12232242252262272039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Oct 29 2009 02:54pm
Quote (Peachie @ Oct 29 2009 04:32pm)
most fish oils (even cheaper / "lower quality" ones) are safe... no mercury or contaminants

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/health/24real.html

and i personally wouldn't supplementing with omega 9... nn inflammation

"studies have found that most of the widely available supplements contain little or no mercury, dioxins or PCBs."

Here is where this is a stretch....first of all the term "little" is subjective. The FDA claims a lot of products are safe when in fact they aren't. In addition, the FDA claims a lot of things to be harmful that indeed are NOT.

Also please consider the source, the New York Times...I would be VERY hesitant to believe ANYTHING let alone a health article on there.

Here's the truth - Any fish oil contains trace amounts of mercury. Improperly distilled and harvested fish oil contain higher levels of mercury from farm raising and shallow water catch vs deep sea fishing of smaller fish (tactics used by most icelandic fisheries).

Considering the FDA also recommends only 2-3 fish oil gel caps a day (the average person should be taking 2-3 with every meal) approximately 5 times less dose they are assuming you are taking.

Furthermore, do you really want to roll the dice with something as hazardous as mercury? I personally am not interested in the long term effects which include MS, alzheimers, dementia, cardiac disease, etc.

Lastly, omega-9 is not hazardous. The only health concern was that breast cancer can potentially be accelerated through omega-9 over-consumption.

here are the benefits of omega-9

Lowers cholesterol levels
Reduces atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
Reduces insulin resistance
Improves immune function
Provides protection against certain types of cancer

Lastly, Peachie - I would have expected you to at least show me the respect of asking my opinion rather than coming into my thread, and counter-indicating what I say. You offered your opinion over mine, and this thread is not an "ask peachie anything" thread, or an open discussion, but rather an asking a professional thread. I ask that you and anyone else does not do this again as it is improper and impolite to second guess and attempt to disprove my advice. If you do not like my advice and disagree with it, you can go elsewhere. However, I highly doubt you or anyone else will be able to honestly find something truly at fault with anything I post given the sheer amount of time and effort I put into health and fitness research.

edit: also I forgot to mention, please google this topic. I can gaurentee you will find many counter-arguments that would agree that any non-molecularly distilled fish oil contains plenty of mercury - as a matter of fact, molecular distillation would be an advised topic to consider reading up on.

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Oct 29 2009 02:59pm
Gold: 1,551.68
Oct 29 2009 02:58pm
Thanks Raynor, I fuckin love you lol
and vouch the FDA is totally nuts. Allowing all this enriched and hydrogenated stuff... Totally sketchy

This post was edited by Honestly on Oct 29 2009 03:00pm
Oct 29 2009 03:00pm
Quote (Honestly @ Oct 29 2009 04:58pm)
Thanks Raynor, I fuckin love you lol

lol =)
Gold: 3.71
Oct 29 2009 03:29pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 29 2009 02:04pm)
Hello -

first of all, residual soreness is normal - don't worry about it.

running for 2 hours is definitely overkill unless you are training for a specific purpose (marathon running, military, etc)  Limit this to no more than 1 hour a day of running + 1-2 hours of weights.

the protein shake you use depends on your bodytype and goals...I need to know your height/weight/bodyfat as well as if you are a hardgainer or easygainer.

I would recommend just buying 1 gal jugs of water from the grocery store...it works out to $30 / month and its clean fresh spring water with all the minerals....not refilled tap water.

Thx SKCRaynor.
Banned
Gold: 20.51
Warn: 70%
Oct 29 2009 04:32pm
whoops, my bad. (i had omega 6 and 9 confused for a moment there)

was what i was refering to.

and yeah, when it comes to fish oil & omega products/supps i do not get any that are not molecullarly distilled, but i was trying to point out that mercury toxicity isn't exactly a huge thing to be concerned about when it comes to fish oil...
Banned
Gold: 20.51
Warn: 70%
Oct 29 2009 07:12pm
(oh yeah, i don't mean it the wrong way either... i have love for you, you're doing gods work, but its just that in every article i read pertaining to fish oil + mercury, all of them have said that its nothin)
Gold: 1,541.00
Oct 29 2009 08:25pm
height: ~6'2"
weight: ~310 lbs

i've been weightlifting for mass for a little over a year or so
i take Trac creatine before workouts
bench: 235x1
deadlift: 365x2 (with a belt + chalk)
squats: ~300x2
leg press: ~800x2-4

my routine is mostly higher weights and less reps, i mix it up now and then but for the most part it's always the same
i work out 4 days a week;
monday: chest + biceps
wednesday: back
thursday: legs
friday: shoulders +triceps

i could stand to lose 30-40 lbs -- i basically eat everything and have no specific diet atm

what would you suggest me aiming for, diet wise?
should i change my creatine to something with less carbs?
should i change my workout routine at all?

i'd like to lean out a bit (i'm not obese or anything) but keep as much strength as possible in the process. even if it's a longer-term diet plan that i could still build strength with, that'd be fine
let me know :)
Oct 30 2009 12:09am
Quote (Chimerical @ Oct 29 2009 10:25pm)
height: ~6'2"
weight: ~310 lbs

i've been weightlifting for mass for a little over a year or so
i take Trac creatine before workouts
bench: 235x1
deadlift: 365x2 (with a belt + chalk)
squats: ~300x2
leg press: ~800x2-4

my routine is mostly higher weights and less reps, i mix it up now and then but for the most part it's always the same
i work out 4 days a week;
monday: chest + biceps
wednesday: back
thursday: legs
friday: shoulders +triceps
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/jwm9104/shirt2.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/jwm9104/shirt4.jpg

i could stand to lose 30-40 lbs -- i basically eat everything and have no specific diet atm

what would you suggest me aiming for, diet wise?
should i change my creatine to something with less carbs?
should i change my workout routine at all?

i'd like to lean out a bit (i'm not obese or anything) but keep as much strength as possible in the process. even if it's a longer-term diet plan that i could still build strength with, that'd be fine
let me know :)

hey there...

if you'd kindly do a search and check the last 10-15 pages on this thread...there is a lot of info in regards to diet that will help you out.....for creatine, stick to plain 100% micronized or CEE creatine monohydrate (try optimum brand)

as far as routine goes...I highly recommend doing abs at least 2x a week, also you are going to need to increase weight training duration (to about 2 hours) and also attempt to do 5 days a week at the gym, not 4. on the 5th day you can focus on weaker muscle groups. In addition, make sure to do 30 mins of cardio at the end of every workout.

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Oct 30 2009 12:11am
Gold: 263.00
Oct 30 2009 09:50am
hey skc, recently i came down with appendicitis and had to have my appendix removed seeing as how i was coming within hours of death based on the fact that i didnt go to the hospital for 4 days after it ruptured, but i digress

the doctor told me im not aloud to lift anything over 5 lbs, but i dont want to lose too much mass and etc. my diets essentially gone which isnt a problem really, anything that i feel like eating is a blessing because i no longer have a craving for food let alone the fact that i can barely taste it now after not eating for a week/etc.

but since i cant lift anything more than 5 lbs, im concerned on what i can do. i was thinking that possibly bodyweight sort of exercises like pushups wouldnt be a problem based on the fact that its just your body weight, not any external forces (besides gravity) coming into play but im not exactly sure what angle to look at this from.

long story short, what can i do to preserve muscle mass in this situation?
Gold: 1,551.68
Oct 30 2009 09:57am
Quote (KickinWings @ Oct 30 2009 09:50am)
hey skc, recently i came down with appendicitis and had to have my appendix removed seeing as how i was coming within hours of death based on the fact that i didnt go to the hospital for 4 days after it ruptured, but i digress

the doctor told me im not aloud to lift anything over 5 lbs, but i dont want to lose too much mass and etc. my diets essentially gone which isnt a problem really, anything that i feel like eating is a blessing because i no longer have a craving for food let alone the fact that i can barely taste it now after not eating for a week/etc.

but since i cant lift anything more than 5 lbs, im concerned on what i can do. i was thinking that possibly bodyweight sort of exercises like pushups wouldnt be a problem based on the fact that its just your body weight, not any external forces (besides gravity) coming into play but im not exactly sure what angle to look at this from.

long story short, what can i do to preserve muscle mass in this situation?

i wouldn't even stress your body with work like that, I don't thunk you would want yet another set back...

But what do I know :p

This post was edited by Honestly on Oct 30 2009 09:58am
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev12232242252262272039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll