d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1179918001801180218032039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.75
Jun 11 2014 01:57pm
Whats proper way for shoulders when doing the vertical pushup...shoulders to the side like when you shoulder press or shoulders to the front? Like shoulder adduction or shoulder flexion ?
Gold: 0.00
Jun 12 2014 03:38pm
Wanting to do a smoothie with most of my daily vegetable/fruit req in it.. Any ideas for the greens powder? My buddy uses Isagenix greens but that's like $50 for a 30 day supply.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 12 2014 04:50pm
I need to lose some weight, i'm like 225, 5'8, 23 years old. I just graduated, and I have a bit more time on my hands now, so.. I don't go to the gym, I'm a fairly strong guy, I play ball hockey and golf, I'm starting to play more sports again, but I can't run for very long and my ball hockey shifts are pretty short.

I started eating healthy like a week ago and plan to keep on it, a lot of fruits and vegetables, eggs, limiting sugar and fatty foods, and trying to stick to mostly chicken for meat.

I'm wondering if you have a simple one size fits all kind of group of exercises that are not too challenging that will actually help me begin to lose weight as I don't have the energy yet to get into
it to deeply yet. I used to be an avid runner but at this weight my knees are not used to it and I can't run very long without them hurting..

A friend of mine suggested doing rotations of 5 pull-up/10 push-up/15 body weight squat rotations over 10 minutes until I can do it without stopping. From what I've read/been told that seems reasonable.

Feel free to correct that if it's not a good idea, but beyond that I'm wondering what a good cardio exercise I can start doing to begin burning some of the fat off.. I've heard just walking is good, and I keep hearing about "fasting cardio", I'd love to know if you have some ideas or explanations on the cardio portion that could get me started on getting back into reasonable shape, or at least a few pounds lighter.

anything is appreciated, thanks
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jun 13 2014 07:21am
Quote (Greet @ Jun 11 2014 12:49pm)
You recommend green tea for someone trying to lose weight?

If so, how much a day?

Green tea is rich with antioxidants, and when consumed hot, can raise your basal metabolism. Also, green tea has some caffeine, and a natural thermogenic property, therefore, it COULD help in fat loss, assuming everything else (diet/exercise/etc) are all in order.

That being said 2-3 6oz servings of green tea per day, would be great.
Jun 13 2014 07:49am
Quote (Cher @ Jun 11 2014 02:37pm)
Hi friend.

I dirty bulked for 2 and a half weeks because I went back to visit grandparents and grandma is lvl 99 cook.

In that time I gained 5 kgs at least.

I also moved from 14 kg dumbells to 22 kg dumbells gradually over the 2 weeks on military press (I was really weak when cutting lol).

105--->135 kgs on back pull down

many exercises that I used to do 3 sets of 8 I did 5 sets of 10 by the end of 2 weeks

belly fat (which I am really scared of) became also very clearly visible so out of those 5 kg some is ofc fat

now im eating sauteed chicken and rice here and asking - are the lifting gains (epic strength and most likely nice muscle) worth the belly fat and feeling ugly and fat like I used to feel all my life?

I know that if I keep bulking (no longer dirty and no longer unlimited... say 4k in the style you recommended before) I will become a monster in gym but I have a tendency to get fat.

Will I get rid of it by doing morning runs as u said? It is a lof of fat imo.

But I dont really want to sit on maintain because strength gains are epic and I feel fucking powerful.

Also, I bought jack3d green apple :)

ty

Hey there.

This is a question only YOU can answer. You can still defy genetics and make huge gains, and then lean out....it takes extreme perseverance.

First of all, for the body to make gains, you need to be ANABOLIC. This prohibits you from losing fat to any great degree, because the only times you are depleted is when you are sleeping, or actively engaging in physical activity.

Therefore, there are several approaches you can take.

1. Cut down to 6-8% body fat, right now. Then begin a LEAN bulk, where your calories are carefully calculated so that you eat just enough on workout days and non-workout days (tapered accordingly). You will begin slowly gaining muscle mass, but not gaining body fat, and although it will take longer, your ultimate outcome will be lean-strong.

2. Continue dirty bulking until you get to the 20% bf level, and then do a full cut down to 10% or so, and repeat the process over and over. This is a traditional method, but also can be dangerous for stretch marks and excess skin, etc.

3. Try intermittent fasting. I personally do not advocate this approach as it is LESS EFFICIENT at building muscle, due to the catabolic state your body is in, MOST OF the time. However, some people have had decent gains to show for it, with no excess fat. To do this, you would basically fast for 18 hours a day, and feed for 6 hours a day. A sample would be, go to bed at 9pm, wake up at 5am. Take 5g of BCAA, and do 30 minutes of fasted cardio. Take another 5g of bcaa upon finishing, and begin your day as usual. At 2pm, you can eat your first meal, and continue eating until 8pm. You will basically get your entire days calories in 6 hours. You will also do a workout somewhere in that area, either directly before eating, or in the middle of all of the meals. You must stop eating by 8pm, take 10g more bcaa, and sleep by 9. OBVIOUSLY, this can be modified to whatever times suit you, as long as you are fasted for 18 hours and fed for 6 (approximately). Some people do 20/4, others 16/8, and so forth. The longer you fast, the more your body will lose in terms of fat, however, if your muscles are not properly fed with glycogen and BCAA, you will likely have muscular catabolism as well, which is a big problem. Therefore, you need to really calculate your workouts, eating, fasting, and BCAA's, to ensure that you do this correctly.

4. Go the powerlifting route....where body fat doesn't matter. This isn't the healthiest approach, nor the most aesthetically pleasing, but if you choose massive size and strength above all else, you can consistently dirty bulk, and lift like your life depends on it. You will gain unbelievable mass, including fat, but your power gains will be ridiculous.

Either way you go, good luck to you.

Jun 13 2014 07:54am
Quote (ForbiddenOath606 @ Jun 11 2014 03:57pm)
Whats proper way for shoulders when doing the vertical pushup...shoulders to the side like when you shoulder press or shoulders to the front? Like shoulder adduction or shoulder flexion ?

That depends what you mean by proper. There are multiple different styles that work different muscles.

This style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87MFaCpbTvM

Focuses on delts, medial and lateral.

This style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ovk9mm-Y-i4#t=5

Focuses on upper chest, triceps and front delts.

There are other variations as well, but just a sample to show you that each method works differently.
Jun 13 2014 08:00am
Quote (Snazzy @ Jun 12 2014 05:38pm)
Wanting to do a smoothie with most of my daily vegetable/fruit req in it.. Any ideas for the greens powder? My buddy uses Isagenix greens but that's like $50 for a 30 day supply.

CL Oximega is approximately $25 for a 2 month supply. Also the product, NOW! Fruit and Greens, is a very good powder, but a tiny bit more expensive. Approximately $24 a month.

However, making your own, with real fruits and veggies is going to cost you even more.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/fruit-greens-phytofoods.html

It's about half the price your friend pays, so this should help.
Jun 13 2014 08:09am
Quote (159357 @ Jun 12 2014 06:50pm)
I need to lose some weight, i'm like 225, 5'8, 23 years old. I just graduated, and I have a bit more time on my hands now, so.. I don't go to the gym, I'm a fairly strong guy, I play ball hockey and golf, I'm starting to play more sports again, but I can't run for very long and my ball hockey shifts are pretty short.

I started eating healthy like a week ago and plan to keep on it, a lot of fruits and vegetables, eggs, limiting sugar and fatty foods, and trying to stick to mostly chicken for meat.

I'm wondering if you have a simple one size fits all kind of group of exercises that are not too challenging that will actually help me begin to lose weight as I don't have the energy yet to get into
it to deeply yet. I used to be an avid runner but at this weight my knees are not used to it and I can't run very long without them hurting..

A friend of mine suggested doing rotations of 5 pull-up/10 push-up/15 body weight squat rotations over 10 minutes until I can do it without stopping. From what I've read/been told that seems reasonable.

Feel free to correct that if it's not a good idea, but beyond that I'm wondering what a good cardio exercise I can start doing to begin burning some of the fat off.. I've heard just walking is good, and I keep hearing about "fasting cardio", I'd love to know if you have some ideas or explanations on the cardio portion that could get me started on getting back into reasonable shape, or at least a few pounds lighter.

anything is appreciated, thanks

Hey there. The solution here is to just stay as active as possible.

Fasted cardio is a great way to start. Try to do 20-30 minutes of cardio, first thing upon waking up in the morning. You don't have to run for very long distances, but instead try intervals. Walk for 2 minutes, jog for 2 minutes, then sprint for 30 seconds, and repeat over and over until you hit the 30 minute mark. Drink some water, and wait about 15 minutes before eating your first meal.

Another thing to do is keep your carbs low, particularly those from sugar (which you seem to already be doing).

Remember, you need to calculate your BMR (google this) and once you have a general number (I'm estimating your BMR to be around 2,400 calories per day), you want to shoot for 500 calories UNDER that (1,900 per day) on days you DON'T work out or exercises. On days you do, add an additional 200 cals (2,100 cals total). This way you take in less calories than your body burns, thus causing you to have negative overall calories, and therefore the body will use fat as energy, burning some of what you already have.

Drink at least 1 gal of water per day to keep yourself hydrated and allow your body to burn fat and keep all processes working properly. Use spring water for mineral content and purity (Zephyrhills is one of the better brands at the moment).

Do bodyweight exercises as much as possible.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=331731288
Bodyweight exercises

In addition, whenever you have the opportunity, stand up and jog in place and keep moving. The major key to general fat loss is to take in less calories than you burn, reduce carbs, increase activity level, stay hydrated and get enough sleep (at least 8 hrs a night).
Gold: 4.75
Jun 13 2014 08:18am
What at home blood pressure device do you recommend to be the most accurate?

And if im testing 4 times a day, when are the best times?

Also.. do amino acids have calories? usually on amino acid stuff it shows 0 calories...
if thats true, wouldnt taking 180g of amino acids be better than 180g of protein? Would that actually work?

This post was edited by ForbiddenOath606 on Jun 13 2014 08:39am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 4.79
Jun 13 2014 08:20am
Quick question here:

Do you believe in thermogenics of any kind? How effective can it be if I'm relatively slim and just looking for definition?
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1179918001801180218032039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll