d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1179217931794179517962039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,804.50
May 28 2014 06:59pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ May 28 2014 06:59pm)
It sounds to me that your doctor is not very well educated, unfortunately. There are many doctors today who only look to treat symptoms and don't even care about the cause of a particular medical issue. This is an absolute recipe for disaster.

First of all, we have to figure out the source of the cough. Let's begin with the following:

1. Have you ever been allergy tested at an actual Allergist? If so, what were the results? No.
2. Did you change anything in your life recently around the time the cough began? New food/drink? New supplements? New sheets/clothing? New detergent? New cologne? anything new that you previous did not expose yourself to? Nothing new personally, though at work there's been a lot of construction the past few months. But my cough is just as bad everywhere. but i do live in GA, and it is allergy season
3. Have you ever had the problem before? Every few years I seem to have a cough that lasts a few months. Usually i don't go to the doctor.
4. Does anything make it better/worse? Does it get better/worse depending on environment or time of day? If anything, it's a bit better after I wake up, but it gets worse after an hour or two.
5. Do you feel like you have an actual cold? Or do you feel like the possible bronchitis is stand-alone? I think i have a cold now, but previously it was just a cough and nothing else.
6. Do you have any previously diagnosed medical conditions? Nothing unusual. Had some sort of stomach flu a decade ago, the flu a few years ago. had lasik in december.

Let's begin there and see what we can do for you.

Bolded answers. I just got claritin D to help with my congestion, but doesn't do anything to my cough as i expected.
Gold: 4.75
May 29 2014 06:49am
How effective are planche pushups?? When I watch people do it, my shoulders hurt from just looking at it... is it good for the shoulder joints to do it?
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
May 29 2014 06:22pm
Quote (HighschoolTurd @ May 28 2014 07:08pm)
Hey SKCRaynor,

I am starting to grow a bit of "flub" around my outside ab area. (Specifically above the hips on each side)  I just recentally noticed this because I have been inactive (in college, and quit going to gym bcz of lack of motivation / etc).

My question, I love to go to the track and just do sprints / run a couple miles. Would that better than just doing an ab exercise plan? (I know both are good, but which one will burn that stupid ab fat the fastest and most intuitively?

Thank you

Burning fat comes from reducing total calories in, and increasing activity level. As long as your calories are below what your body burns, and your insulin levels are not constantly spiking throughout the day, you will lose fat.

That being said, cardio in and of itself will burn more calories than ab exercises. Ab exercises will serve to strengthen those areas mostly.
May 29 2014 06:25pm
Quote (Hboy @ May 28 2014 08:26pm)
Hey Ray I had a bad week last week on my diet so I want to make my diet almost the same every day, so let me know what you think about this diet.

current macros (got these from putting my into into myfitnesspal): 64g fat/ 261g carbs/ 174g protein (I dropped my fat a little cuz I usually dont hit it, altho can hit it with PB ez, raised the carbs but was not by much)

everything I ate today:
breakfast - 5am - plain oatmeal + chocolate rice cake (just to give my oatmeal some flavor) + vitamins
7am - 3/4 cup fiber one cereal (snack)
breakfast - 9am - greek yogurt + orange
lunch - 11:30am - 1/2 cup brown rice + 4oz 93/7 ground turkey + 3/4 cup mixed veggies
1pm - power crunch bar (I go gym around 3, this would be my pre snack)
post workout - 6pm - 1.5 cups of skim milk + 1.25 scoop ON natural pro complex + apple
small meal - 7:30pm - 4 egg whites with cheese or 1 can of tuna with 1/2 tbsp of light mayo (did eggs with cheese today)
dinner - 9:30pm - 4oz chicken + salad + cheese + 2 tbsp boltfarm yogurt ranch

I have carbs left so this is where I do IIFYM with snacks (If I don't do small snacks and use up all carbs with 1 cup of rice I will prob get hungry and eat cookies and worse junk, happened last week QQ)

plain rice cake + 1tbsp PB
15g quaker mini snacks
15g pretzels
3/4 cup low fat ice cream
frozen greek yogurt

macros for 5/28/14
total cals : 2240/2320

fat: 57/64
cholesterol: 204/300
Sodium: 2360/2300 (I hear its ok to go over a bit on this as long as you drink plenty of water and sweat a lot)
potassium: 3216/3500
carbs: 258/261
dietary fiber: 36g/38g
sugars: 90/97
protein: 185/174
vitamin A: 262%/100%
vitamin C: 1066%/100%
calcium: 195%/100%
iron: 100%/100%

Overall it's not bad. However, 90+ grams of sugar per day is VERY high. You should strive to have no more than 30g sugar per day on cutting, and all from fresh fruit. You should eliminate the milk in your PWO shake, and use water instead with 40g protein. Try to lower the total carbs in general, by reducing the sugar this shouldn't be an issue. Try using Stevia in your oatmeal to eliminate the rice-cake, and that should help as well.
May 29 2014 06:32pm
Quote (carteblanche @ May 28 2014 08:59pm)
Bolded answers. I just got claritin D to help with my congestion, but doesn't do anything to my cough as i expected.

Hello there.

OK after what you've told me, I have the feeling that you are dealing with chronic allergies, with frequent exposure to unknown allergens.

At this point, you need to do the following:

1. See an allergist immediately and get a complete allergy panel completed. When you have the results, let me know what you are allergic to.
2. After the results are in, follow the below suggestions to eliminate allergens from your environment as much as possible:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allergy reduction guide -

1. Purchase a good air purifier such as the Alen A350 and run it on max 24/7 in your room. http://www.amazon.com/Alen-A350-Purifier-Floor-Standing/dp/B000R50KJE
2. Change your Home A/C Filters regularly with 3M Ultra Allergen filters (Purple label and make sure you match the correct size) once a month. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Filtrete-6-Pack-Allergen-Reduction/dp/B00066FKIU
3. Irrigate your sinuses with Sinus Cleansing Squeeze Bottle + Solution 1x per day (morning or night) http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/neilmed-sinus-rinse-original-sinus-kit/ID=prod2598807-product (only use for the first 2 weeks, then use it once/twice a week or AS NEEDED)
4. Change out the carpet in your bedroom with wood/laminate flooring and swiffer it at least once per week.
5. Get a set of new bedsheet covers such as the Allergy Armor Ultra and put it over your mattress, boxspring, and pillows. http://www.achooallergy.com/allergy-armor-ultra-bedding-packages.asp
6. Keep your room very clean and free of excess dust or pet dander.
7. Use Dust Mite killing detergent http://www.onlineallergyrelief.com/laundry/laundry.html (also make sure to wash your sheets and quilt in HOT water ONCE a week)
8. Try using Claritin one a day
9. Follow the below supplement guide:

A. Vitamin D - NOW! Vitamin D-3 (5000 iu) - take 1x per day
B. Immune Support - NOW! Immune Renew and Immune Support (take 1x of each per day)
C. Vitamin C - NOW! C-1000 Caps (take 1x, 3 times per day)
D. Multivitamin - NOW! Adam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the above is completed, and the allergy test results are in, let me know and we will go from there.

Given the fact that it's "allergy season" where you live, and there is construction going on where you work, it sounds very much like you are having chronic exposure to allergens.

Your lungs aren't to blame, but rather the microscopic particles getting stuck inside of them and causing irritation and inflammation.
May 29 2014 06:36pm
Quote (ForbiddenOath606 @ May 29 2014 08:49am)
How effective are planche pushups?? When I watch people do it, my shoulders hurt from just looking at it... is it good for the shoulder joints to do it?

Yes, planche pushups are VERY hard on the shoulders and elbows. They also aren't particularly useful for anything other than core balancing under chest and shoulder stress.

Realistically there isn't much of any reason to aggressively pursue planche pushups other than "showing off" that you can do them. For strength, size, endurance, etc. there are MUCH better exercises out there.
Gold: 1,272.50
May 29 2014 07:22pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ 29 May 2014 17:22)
Burning fat comes from reducing total calories in, and increasing activity level. As long as your calories are below what your body burns, and your insulin levels are not constantly spiking throughout the day, you will lose fat.

That being said, cardio in and of itself will burn more calories than ab exercises. Ab exercises will serve to strengthen those areas mostly.

Thank you for the explanation. I'll be cutting calories a bit and raise my activity levels. I love doing 100 yard sprints, then doing a jog around the track (At our junior high, highschool fields). Then somedays i'll mix in some ab exercises.

appreciate ur help.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 4.79
May 29 2014 08:03pm
Hey man,

I'd really like to have your opinion on two powder BCAA supps (mostly considering their profile)

I've been looking at Xtend by Scivation and Allmax Aminocore. They're flavored though, so I'm looking to know if there's anything unhealthy I should avoid.

As always, thanks a lot! :)
May 30 2014 05:15am
Quote (Jaypee @ May 29 2014 10:03pm)
Hey man,

I'd really like to have your opinion on two powder BCAA supps (mostly considering their profile)

I've been looking at Xtend by Scivation and Allmax Aminocore. They're flavored though, so I'm looking to know if there's anything unhealthy I should avoid.

As always, thanks a lot! :)

My opinion is to always steer clear of these flavored amino drinks. Stick to regular unflavored amino powder such as:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/bcaa.html

Then mix it with grape or apple juice and you combine the glucose with the aminos for the complete blend...and then won't have to worry about all the artificial BS in most flavored amino drinks.
Gold: 4.75
May 30 2014 06:11am
Hey you say to no go high sugar on a cut.

But if all that matters is calories at the end of the day, why would sugar matter? How would insulin spikes affect your fat loss, even though you're in a deficit?

I'm currently on my last 10lbs or so of my goal.. my god is it ever a slow process.. is it me? Or is the last 10 lbs really going to take over a month, even at deficit?
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1179217931794179517962039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll