d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1177917801781178217832039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
May 1 2014 08:03am
Hey whats up Raynor,
So I was doing research about diets, and I have come to the conclusion that I may have huge metabolic damage due to the past, i used to be 5'4 220+ at 30-35% bf, now I am about 190-195 at 19-20% bf. I have tried many ways to try and cut down the past year. How would I go about fixing this metabolic damage? It seems that if I eat low calories (1500), I dont lose weight, and if i eat just under maintenance i still don't lose weight. So from calculators I can see that I have a BMR of around 1800-2000 (depending on calc) and if I add in my workout routine (Layne Norton Power and Hypertrophy) I should be at about 2700 a day (including the afterburn effects of weight lifting). I also do HIIT for 20 minutes not inc 5 min warm up and cooldown on the off days of training. I have been working extremely hard to try and get down to 9-10% to see how big I actually am. (just curious would I look huge at my height shredded?) I am willing to take steps backwards in order to move forward. Thanks in advance man and i seriously appreciate it.
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
May 1 2014 08:21pm
Quote (noodles4eva @ Apr 30 2014 05:13pm)
Hey Ray,
Are there cons to soy protein?
Ive googled it and some say it lows test and some say it has no effect.
I would like your in put,
Thanks

Stay away from soy.

In general, soy is estrogenic in nature, and often is genetically modified (GMO's have not been properly studied for long enough to determine safety).

May 1 2014 08:22pm
Quote (Mesonychid @ Apr 30 2014 06:03pm)
Holy lord I lost it reading this page of the thread, ahahahaha
How's med school going Raynor? Aren't you close to finishing or have you already finished? o.O

Hey there.

I actually did finish (technically), but now I'm in Residency. Still more time to go until I'm on my own. For my particular specialty, there is even more training beyond that of a normal general practitioner.
Gold: 3,804.50
May 1 2014 10:22pm
http://www.youbars.com/buildabar

someone just posted that site in general chat for custom snack/meal bars, and it looks interesting. i'm thinking about ordering something. is there anything in there i should avoid?

This post was edited by carteblanche on May 1 2014 10:24pm
Gold: 1,120.01
May 2 2014 10:21am
What are your opinions of QUEST bars/products?
May 2 2014 01:23pm
Quote (ArtofApocalypse @ May 1 2014 02:11am)
Hey again,

Is it better to consume your carbs before (like an hour) or after your lifting session (how much time)

Also, starting this summer, I'll be doing Abs probably everyday or every other day.

Can you give me a good ab workout? I'm getting my body fat calculated in 2 weeks.
Started at 300 lb 14 months ago
I'm at 200 now 5"11
If you need to wait for my body fat % that's fine, I'm hitting up the doctor's before I'm back home.

Also, when I am home, I'll be able to do my own grocery shopping. Could you also give me a meal plan?
Information below:

Main goal: fat loss. Plain and simple bring my body fat % down
I lift for an hour usually and do cardio and abs after. If the meal plan is made where cardio isn't needed then I won't do it.
I take ON Whey, ON Fiber, ON Creatine.

What I can eat, I also DO NOT mind eating the same foods everyday for the meal plan:
Just listing the foods I see on most plans
Chicken breasts
Chicken Cold Cuts, lettuce, tomato (can use wheat bread for sandwich)
Turkey Cold Cuts
Broccoli
Mixed Veggies (I love broccoli so I can just eat broccoli everyday)
Brown Rice
Wheat Pasta
Jar Sauce
Peanuts (what kind should I get)
I drink 1-2 gallons of water a day
2% milk (never tried skim but I can)
Bananas, apples, peanut butter
I've never tried greek yogurt or mixed berries but I can.
I'll have a blender I can also make shakes with ON Whey and other items
Potatoes
Cereal

I do not eat
Fish, eggs

As for the time that I will be exercising I do not know this yet. I won't know until I get my work schedules.

To answer your questions...

With regard to carb timing, it depends on your goals. For bulking, you will want carbs pre/post and even intra, depending on how long you train for.

If you are cutting, carb timing will vary depending on the type of diet you are on. On keto, no carbs, on IF, carbs PWO only. If just lower calorie diet, you will take carbs PWO only as well.

Secondly, here is your abs routine:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=330745031
Abs Workout Routine

Thirdly, as far as a diet goes...assuming you are going to be cutting, before I give you a diet, are you willing to do KETO (no carbs for 1-2 weeks, then a carb day, then another 1-2 weeks with no carbs and so forth), or would you prefer a regular diet where carbs are limited, but allowed?

Based on your height/weight - you probably are going to need around 1,900 cals per day (non workout days), and around 2,100-2,200 per day (workout days), in order to get down to the 170lb area (if that is your goal).
May 2 2014 01:43pm
Quote (spbgundamx2 @ May 1 2014 10:03am)
Hey whats up Raynor,
So I was doing research about diets, and I have come to the conclusion that I may have huge metabolic damage due to the past, i used to be 5'4 220+ at 30-35% bf, now I am about 190-195 at 19-20% bf. I have tried many ways to try and cut down the past year. How would I go about fixing this metabolic damage? It seems that if I eat low calories (1500), I dont lose weight, and if i eat just under maintenance i still don't lose weight. So from calculators I can see that I have a BMR of around 1800-2000 (depending on calc) and if I add in my workout routine (Layne Norton Power and Hypertrophy) I should be at about 2700 a day (including the afterburn effects of weight lifting). I also do HIIT for 20 minutes not inc 5 min warm up and cooldown on the off days of training. I have been working extremely hard to try and get down to 9-10% to see how big I actually am. (just curious would I look huge at my height shredded?) I am willing to take steps backwards in order to move forward. Thanks in advance man and i seriously appreciate it.

Good afternoon.

Hitting a wall is not uncommon, especially among people who have been in the 30% + range.

In order to fix this issue, we will have to try a few things.

First of all, have you tried Ketosis? Some people are extremely sensitive to carbs (glycogen) and ultimately will not lose fat if a steady stream of carbs is consumed. If you have NOT tried ketosis, we need to start you on CKD immediately.

If keto has NOT worked for you, we need to analyze everything you do. Please post your ENTIRE day to me from waking up until going to sleep, including everything you eat and drink, as well as supplements, and your exact workout routine and duration. I need exact measures of what you eat as well.

Let's start there and I'm sure we'll be able to figure things out for you :)

May 2 2014 01:46pm
Quote (carteblanche @ May 2 2014 12:22am)
http://www.youbars.com/buildabar

someone just posted that site in general chat for custom snack/meal bars, and it looks interesting. i'm thinking about ordering something. is there anything in there i should avoid?

Looks like a great idea.

Avoid anything "SOY"

Other than that, all ingredients look great. I noticed that the total protein, even with the "extra protein" option is still fairly low per bar. In addition, the price is VERY expensive. However, the quality of product SEEMS to be fairly high.

Let me know how it works out for you, I may look into it myself.
May 2 2014 01:47pm
Quote (Greet @ May 2 2014 12:21pm)
What are your opinions of QUEST bars/products?

They would be fine, except for the fact that they use sucralose (splenda).

I personally do NOT like the texture or flavor of any of their bars.

So in general, I'd recommend sticking to something that uses real sugar (if carbs don't matter) or stevia as a sweetener.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 3,835.50
May 2 2014 09:48pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ May 2 2014 03:23pm)
To answer your questions...

With regard to carb timing, it depends on your goals. For bulking, you will want carbs pre/post and even intra, depending on how long you train for.

If you are cutting, carb timing will vary depending on the type of diet you are on. On keto, no carbs, on IF, carbs PWO only. If just lower calorie diet, you will take carbs PWO only as well.

Secondly, here is your abs routine:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=330745031
Abs Workout Routine

Thirdly, as far as a diet goes...assuming you are going to be cutting, before I give you a diet, are you willing to do KETO (no carbs for 1-2 weeks, then a carb day, then another 1-2 weeks with no carbs and so forth), or would you prefer a regular diet where carbs are limited, but allowed?

Based on your height/weight - you probably are going to need around 1,900 cals per day (non workout days), and around 2,100-2,200 per day (workout days), in order to get down to the 170lb area (if that is your goal).

My Goal by the end of August is to be 170. I am at 200 now on Creatine so I guess I'm even lower and I will have an accurate BF % before then. I work out everyday, 7 days a week. 2,100-2,200 is more calories than what I'm used to consuming the past 3 months here at college. I can be very strict with my diet and stay committed. Here I probably consume 1800 calories AT most per day.

I am cutting yes. I care strictly losing body fat but still lift weights.

I want to try Keto. It's the summer so I don't mind trying it.

I can purchase any supplement or anything required. Currently I have:
ON Fiber
ON Whey (4g carb per serving)
ON Micronized Creatine
Now! Adam
Now! Omega 3-6-9
Currently have no pre-workout/fatburner which would probably help a lot doing Keto.

Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1177917801781178217832039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll