d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1177717781779178017812039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Apr 24 2014 04:47pm
Quote (tommyd323 @ Apr 24 2014 04:31pm)
Do you like alan aragon?

Like any other fitness/nutrition personality, he has some good and some bad. His levels of research are actually greater than most, which I certainly admire.
Apr 24 2014 04:48pm
Quote (Hellzcom @ Apr 24 2014 04:37pm)
im going to post here in reply to the private message which you responded too.

another question: in your opinion is it better to work out in the morning or later in the day? and how does that change or effect the diet and meal plan?

It depends mostly on your schedule and natural body rhythm.

Regardless, you want to make sure you don't work out 2-3 hours before bed, as this can prohibit sleep.

Other than that, any time would be fine.

When training for fat loss, however, it is best to train first thing on an empty stomach in the morning to increase the level of fat loss due to pre-reduced glycogen levels.

edit:

The meal plan only changes with regard to the post workout meal. That should always be PWO no matter what.

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Apr 24 2014 04:49pm
Gold: 0.00
Apr 25 2014 12:39pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Apr 24 2014 02:48pm)
It depends mostly on your schedule and natural body rhythm.

Regardless, you want to make sure you don't work out 2-3 hours before bed, as this can prohibit sleep.

Other than that, any time would be fine.

When training for fat loss, however, it is best to train first thing on an empty stomach in the morning to increase the level of fat loss due to pre-reduced glycogen levels.

edit:

The meal plan only changes with regard to the post workout meal. That should always be PWO no matter what.

I also was wondering what some alternatives would be to black beans and boiled or canned? I don't mind them, but I am curious as to what I could put in place of them meal wise. other beans? other foods?
I looked them up and they are really good nutrition wise, that is why I am curious.

This post was edited by Hellzcom on Apr 25 2014 01:02pm
Gold: 4.20
Apr 25 2014 01:02pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Apr 24 2014 05:47pm)
Like any other fitness/nutrition personality, he has some good and some bad. His levels of research are actually greater than most, which I certainly admire.

What don't you like about Alan? Can you explain why you disagree with some of his views?
Apr 25 2014 05:39pm
Quote (Hellzcom @ Apr 25 2014 02:39pm)
I also was wondering what some alternatives would be to black beans and boiled or canned? I don't mind them, but I am curious as to what I could put in place of them meal wise. other beans? other foods?
I looked them up and they are really good nutrition wise, that is why I am curious.

Other beans or Quinoa.

neither are truly REQUIRED, but nutritionally speaking, they are too good to pass up.
Apr 25 2014 05:40pm
Quote (bugeyewagon @ Apr 25 2014 03:02pm)
What don't you like about Alan? Can you explain why you disagree with some of his views?

Well, one thing about him is that he tends to use ONLY research that supports his point. I've noticed that he left out critical evidence supporting opposite findings on certain theories he's investigated. Whether this was intentional or an oversight is unknown to me, but I personally believe there is some direct slant, which poses an issue with regards to credible scientific studies.
Gold: 4.20
Apr 25 2014 05:44pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Apr 25 2014 06:40pm)
Well, one thing about him is that he tends to use ONLY research that supports his point. I've noticed that he left out critical evidence supporting opposite findings on certain theories he's investigated. Whether this was intentional or an oversight is unknown to me, but I personally believe there is some direct slant, which poses an issue with regards to credible scientific studies.

IIRC he does train NFL athletes etc so I'm sure there is more than scientific research. Can you pick a particular claim by Alan and tell us why you disagree? Would be a great learning idea :)
Gold: 10,445.00
Apr 27 2014 02:12pm
I been having minor pain below my knees when squatting, like @ my knee cap and go down 1-2 inches is where i feel it. Is this shin splints? or could it be something else. (I still feel good enough to do 3 miles of jogging + 30 mins stairmaster)

also on my sundays (cardio only) do I need to take my protein shake after my cardio? or should i only use it when I do weight training?

also green tea or coffee, is it ok to drink it cold? like if i make a week supply and just serve it in the morning and drink cold or maybe microwave it for a bit?

This post was edited by Hboy on Apr 27 2014 02:18pm
Gold: 1.05
Apr 28 2014 06:55am
Yo raynlads, this is a little different to the usual questions but here goes

Theres this legit asshole at my gym and mostly just lurks around the drink fountain and the squat rack, (atleast he squats right?)

Wrong. This guy smells so bad its like he eats rotten eggs preworkout and stinks the place up so bad

Im looking to fight fire with fire, looking for the stinkiest concoction of foods and drinks to make my farts smell like theyve been brewed by satan himself. Imagine a necromancer summoning corpse explosion then the corpse turning round n saying now that stinks and i hardly even have a nose - im a decaying corpse.

So far ive thought of this routine -

Night before:
Mcdonalds burgers n soft serve ice cream. Lots of jack daniels n coke

That morning;
Mexican. Extra beans

Lunch:
Dickloads of beef jerky, like 100gs of protein concentrate

Preworkout:
Insane amounts of fiborous cereal and heaps of coffee, to really stoke the fire

I dont want to be shitting my pants, i just wanna be able to summon mind numbing farts on demand, or with maybe a 20 second warning so i can time my trips to the water fountain or free weights where he is, also incase girls walk past im not fsrting 24/7,

Anything ud add?
Apr 28 2014 07:11am
Quote (bugeyewagon @ Apr 25 2014 07:44pm)
IIRC he does train NFL athletes etc so I'm sure there is more than scientific research. Can you pick a particular claim by Alan and tell us why you disagree? Would be a great learning idea :)

Good morning.

Without going back through hundreds/thousands of articles on his site (I have no idea how to find this specific one, and I'd rather not start picking apart other ones), here was the general idea:

The article was in reference to the effects of certain carbohydrates on the body. The research that was mentioned was a study done with 30 subjects, all athletes. 15 were given a diet that allowed 400g of carbs per day, of only rapid digesting, low fiber, carbs. The other 15 were given a diet that allowed 400g of carbs per day, but only fiberous slow digesting carbs.

The study illustrated that after 30 days, fat loss/gain was equal between both groups, with equal amount of exercise, etc. The basis was that Alan was trying to show that all carbs were equal.

The cited research all floated around this original study, as well as SIMILAR studies with small groups of athletes.

The problems I noted were that blood work was never conducted, muscle gains/water retention/cardiovascular performance/etc were not considered. Also, generally speaking, fast acting carbs are usually only avoided for those attempting fat loss, not elite athletes - so the point is useless here. Furthermore, the athletes were limited to a certain amount of carbs, which limited their amount of eating. If left unchained, how much would they have eaten? Would the simple carb group eat more than the complex carb group? Is 30 days long enough to study? etc.

I believe the athletes in question were soccer players.

Despite the "extensive" research provided, the article felt extremely slanted to perpetuate a feeling of "all carbs are equal" - if that was even his intent.

The bottom line was that OTHER credible scientific research already conducted on groups of average people, including control groups, was never cited or even explored. This led me to believe that there was either an agenda or sloppy research present. Either way, it is what it is.

That isn't to say that SOME of his articles are certainly right on point. All it shows is that there is some level of skewing or lack of research present in SOME of the articles. Therefore I can not say I fully support or endorse him.

Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1177717781779178017812039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll