d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1176917701771177217732039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Apr 4 2014 04:41pm
Quote (Ritchey9 @ Apr 4 2014 05:02pm)
Why am I benching more than I squat?
I just started working out for the first time in years so everything i'm lifting is low.

Right now i'm benching 155 and that's also what i'm squatting, I feel like if I up my squat i'm not going to be able to reach vertical and get back up and that's what it's all about right?
I don't want to do 3/4 squats just because i'll be  upping the weight but I feel like it's impossible to be benching more than I bench, could it be an issue with form?
My bench feels easy and ill be able to add another 5 to the 155 on Monday.

I'm doing SL 5x5 btw

It has a lot to do with how often you train legs, and/or how active you are with sports or other activities that use your legs. Sedentary individuals who train upper body can OFTEN have stronger bench numbers than squat numbers.

That being said, train legs twice a week and watch how quickly that changes.
Gold: 315.68
Apr 4 2014 05:54pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Apr 4 2014 06:41pm)
It has a lot to do with how often you train legs, and/or how active you are with sports or other activities that use your legs. Sedentary individuals who train upper body can OFTEN have stronger bench numbers than squat numbers.

That being said, train legs twice a week and watch how quickly that changes.

Alright so if I just keep at it eventually i'll surpass my bench.
I mean with SL i'm squatting with every workout so it's 3x a week but i'll just keep up with it, just wanted to make sure it wasn't incredibly bad.

Thanks.
Apr 4 2014 05:57pm
Quote (Ritchey9 @ Apr 4 2014 07:54pm)
Alright so if I just keep at it eventually i'll surpass my bench.
I mean with SL i'm squatting with every workout so it's 3x a week but i'll just keep up with it, just wanted to make sure it wasn't incredibly bad.

Thanks.

Eventually your legs will catch up and surpass your chest, just by the nature of the sheer size of the leg muscles by comparison. No worries.
Gold: 10,445.00
Apr 6 2014 06:50pm
hey raynor today I had my first legit cheat meal, and as legit I mean something I have not had in 3 months and really wanted bad but kept saying maybe next week.

today i had taco bell:
2 soft shell beef tacos - 380 cals 18g fat 1000mg sodium 34g carbs
1 chili cheese burrito - 370 cals 16g fat 900mg sodium 39g carbs

also had some candy:
bag of skittles - 230 cals 42g sugars 2.5 fat
butterfinger peanut butter cup - 230 cals 14 fat 22g sugars 120mg sodium

Did i go super overboard?
I felt like finally rewarding me with something I wanted for a while.
I weighed in at 200 flat today. Is this gonna jump me up to 205 in the morning? or not that much?
I plan on cutting cals from my meals and doing more cardio since I cheated hard.

A lot of ppl say cheat meals are ok, should I avoid them? or should I not go that hard next time? and maybe cheat once a month? every other week?

just checked did not go super over my cals, however cals is not the main thing, still ate bad.
went over my limit on sodium, sugar, and bad fats

This post was edited by Hboy on Apr 6 2014 07:01pm
Apr 6 2014 07:49pm
Quote (Hboy @ Apr 6 2014 08:50pm)
hey raynor today I had my first legit cheat meal, and as legit I mean something I have not had in 3 months and really wanted bad but kept saying maybe next week.

today i had taco bell:
2 soft shell beef tacos - 380 cals 18g fat 1000mg sodium 34g carbs
1 chili cheese burrito - 370 cals 16g fat 900mg sodium 39g carbs

also had some candy:
bag of skittles - 230 cals 42g sugars 2.5 fat
butterfinger peanut butter cup - 230 cals 14 fat 22g sugars 120mg sodium

Did i go super overboard?
I felt like finally rewarding me with something I wanted for a while.
I weighed in at 200 flat today. Is this gonna jump me up to 205 in the morning? or not that much?
I plan on cutting cals from my meals and doing more cardio since I cheated hard.

A lot of ppl say cheat meals are ok, should I avoid them? or should I not go that hard next time? and maybe cheat once a month? every other week?

just checked did not go super over my cals, however cals is not the main thing, still ate bad.
went over my limit on sodium, sugar, and bad fats

Cheat meals are an important part of dieting. As long as you don't do more than 1 cheat meal a week, or every 2 weeks, you'll be fine. Also you need to take into consideration any excess calories, and simply add a bit of additional exercise to combat it.

You shouldn't gain any weight from just one cheat meal with some additional sugar.
Apr 6 2014 09:33pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Apr 7 2014 01:49am)
Cheat meals are an important part of dieting. As long as you don't do more than 1 cheat meal a week, or every 2 weeks, you'll be fine. Also you need to take into consideration any excess calories, and simply add a bit of additional exercise to combat it.

You shouldn't gain any weight from just one cheat meal with some additional sugar.

I think next time I'm going to just make some burgers or tacos at home next time.
Apr 7 2014 07:06am
Should I do more abs and less cardio to prevent loose skin around my belly. I'm worried about it the most.
Can you give me some ab workouts? Like maybe simple ones for now since I don't so it much.
I was thinking about just doing cardio once a day for 25 mins and if I should would it be best pre or post workout cardio?

Also is cutting vs losing weight different?
I feel like cutting is for ppl with muscle trying to get smaller and losing weight is for overweight ppl.

This post was edited by Hboy on Apr 7 2014 07:07am
Gold: 40.00
Apr 8 2014 11:34am
My buddy is taking steroids for his low test levels.

He is making fucking incredible gains, he just started working out (again) 1 month prior, and now he has been on it for 3ish months. How much are the steroids impacting his gains? He has gotten pretty huge in the past 5 months. He used to be pretty strong, could bench 315 for a few reps, but quit for 3ish years from lifting. Now he is starting again, and with muscle memory and steroids he is gaining like crazy.

Just curious if you had any speculation on how much of that is steroids.
Apr 9 2014 08:25am
Quote (Hboy @ Apr 7 2014 09:06am)
Should I do more abs and less cardio to prevent loose skin around my belly. I'm worried about it the most.
Can you give me some ab workouts? Like maybe simple ones for now since I don't so it much.
I was thinking about just doing cardio once a day for 25 mins and if I should would it be best pre or post workout cardio?

Also is cutting vs losing weight different?
I feel like cutting is for ppl with muscle trying to get smaller and losing weight is for overweight ppl.

Hey there.

First of all, here's the abs routine:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=330745031
Abs Workout Routine

Secondly, you want to do cardio to lose fat. I would advise at least 30-45 mins of HIIT cardio per day, preferably post workout or first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Now as far as loose stomach skin goes - this is a fact of fat loss. The ways to prevent this are as follows:

1. Lose fat slower (1.5-2lbs per week, maximum)
2. Train abs, HARD, and build strong stomach muscles which will help keep the skin tighter
3. In serious cases, surgery will be required.

The term "losing weight" and the term "cutting" mean generally the same thing. The term "losing weight" is an erroneous term though, because you don't want to lose just 'weight', you want to lose FAT. Therefore, cutting refers to cutting body fat. Anyone can lost 8-10 lbs of water weight in a matter of days, but they will still have the same amount of body fat. Therefore, the term cutting is the proper term in my book. However, both are used frequently to mean the same thing.
Apr 9 2014 08:27am
Quote (MrBobMarley @ Apr 8 2014 01:34pm)
My buddy is taking steroids for his low test levels.

He is making fucking incredible gains, he just started working out (again) 1 month prior, and now he has been on it for 3ish months. How much are the steroids impacting his gains? He has gotten pretty huge in the past 5 months. He used to be pretty strong, could bench 315 for a few reps, but quit for 3ish years from lifting. Now he is starting again, and with muscle memory and steroids he is gaining like crazy.

Just curious if you had any speculation on how much of that is steroids.

The human body can rebound very quickly after a long period of time without lifting, especially if you have good genetics, and a large platform to begin with (either from nature or from previously lifting).

Anabolic steroids will GREATLY improve gains in the short term, somewhere in the area of 100-400% what they would normally be, depending on dosage, type, training routine, diet, etc.

I can't say exactly how much of his gains are related to anabolic steroids, however, I can assure you that a good amount of it certainly is. The problem here, is that anabolic steroids have so many negative effects (both short and long term) that the benefits do not even come close to the drawbacks.

Per JSP policy, as well as my own beliefs, I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids and highly advise against them.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1176917701771177217732039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll