d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1176617671768176917702039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.05
Mar 24 2014 02:06am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 24 2014 02:02pm)
Hey there.

I'm assuming the finger is set and braced, correct?

With this in mind, please be extremely careful to avoid contacting that finger with anything, as further injury can arise with very little impact.

You can do board presses with a chest press machine (flat hands, palms only), palm pushups, low cable crossovers (thumb hook), laying cable flies (thumb hook), 3-4 finger DB presses (lighter weight, extremely good form).

I would be extremely hesitant to do anything high impact for fear of further injury. Finger fractures, while fairly common, can become very difficult to heal if the injury is exacerbated in any way.

Sorry for the confusion raynlads, its my metacarpal, i believe thats the bone behind my pinky finger (in your hand)
Gold: 0.00
Mar 24 2014 03:22pm
hey whats up , i injured my leg on the weekend, for a long while there has been pain ever since i use to squat heavy 3 x a week and took a break, started over again with low weight working upwards. noticed the pain just never did anything about it, its in the left knee right where people usually get tendonitis ( what i figure it could be ), anyways i played some football during the weekend and it got really bad and swollen to the point i couldn't bend it cause of pain. I've been icing it and elevating it and its gone down but the pain still is there, got X-rays done today and the doc said it could be from overuse of the knee. any idea what it might be ? also i doubt ill be training legs for a while now, so could you recommend a workout routine i can still do with upper body? a strength one perhaps. also any tips on how to speed up the healing process and or strengthen my knee? I'm considering physio.
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Mar 24 2014 06:23pm
Quote (HotHamAndCarl @ Mar 24 2014 04:06am)
Sorry for the confusion raynlads, its my metacarpal, i believe thats the bone behind my pinky finger (in your hand)

Oh OK. I must have read it too quickly.

What treatment have you received thus far? Are you wearing any type of cast?

On a side note, any exercise in which you can immobilize that finger, and keep any weight/pressure off of it would be fine. You can still grip a barbell or dumbbell with 3-4 fingers, and avoid the other finger touching it.
Mar 24 2014 06:32pm
Quote (tRen90 @ Mar 24 2014 05:22pm)
hey whats up , i injured my leg on the weekend, for a long while there has been pain ever since i use to squat heavy 3 x a week and took a break, started over again with low weight working upwards. noticed the pain just never did anything about it, its in the left knee right where people usually get tendonitis ( what i figure it could be ), anyways i played some football during the weekend and it got really bad and swollen to the point i couldn't bend it cause of pain. I've been icing it and elevating it and its gone down but the pain still is there, got X-rays done today and the doc said it could be from overuse of the knee. any idea what it might be ? also i doubt ill be training legs for a while now, so could you recommend a workout routine i can still do with upper body? a strength one perhaps. also any tips on how to speed up the healing process and or strengthen my knee? I'm considering physio.

Hey there,

Xrays coming back negative usually just means you don't have a direct bone injury. Did you have an ultrasound or CT scan done? I'm assuming not. There are numerous issues you could be facing, although Tendonitis generally does NOT have any type of major swelling. Tearing a ligament, such as the ACL, can cause extreme pain and swelling. That is MORE likely your case instead of simple tendonitis.

I would highly suggest you get yourself to an orthopedist, sports medicine doctor, or even the ER. A doctor telling you that "overuse" of the knee will cause extreme pain and swelling is a quack, plain and simple.

The healing process will depend greatly on your actual diagnosis. Assuming you do not have ANY tears or major damage, RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) is your best friend. Ice for at least 20 mins on and 40 mins off, 4-5x per day. Compress the knee with a compression sleeve with metal supports if possible. Rest the knee as much as possible, and elevate it, especially when you lay down and sleep.

As for upper body....just do your regular routine, without legs day. I would also HIGHLY avoid deadlifts, cleans, standing presses (any type), or even standing curls (or any other standing exercise). Restrict yourself to seated/laying movements to avoid excessive pressure on the knees. Take your workouts slow and controlled, avoid any possibility of a jerking movement. (also, NO SITUPS or any other exercise that requires you to hook your legs into any type of apparatus)

I would advise sticking to Bench Press (flat, incline, decline), Seated Curls, Skullcrushers, DB Shoulder Press, Seated DB Shrugs, Lat Pulldowns (very light weight to avoid strain on the knee), forearm curls, etc.
Mar 24 2014 10:56pm
Can you link me to your list of bodyweight exercises please ^_^
Gold: 0.01
Mar 24 2014 11:56pm
Hey there, had one more question I just came across. Before I go to bed, I like to drink Casein, but I also like to drink a whey protein shake. How long should I wait after drinking my protein shake before I can drink my Casein?
Gold: Locked
Mar 25 2014 02:10pm
Quote (killerz888 @ Mar 25 2014 06:56am)

bw bench press
Mar 25 2014 07:17pm
Quote (killerz888 @ Mar 25 2014 12:56am)

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=331731288
Bodyweight exercises
Mar 25 2014 07:18pm
Quote (smoothy9 @ Mar 25 2014 01:56am)
Hey there, had one more question I just came across.  Before I go to bed, I like to drink Casein, but I also like to drink a whey protein shake.  How long should I wait after drinking my protein shake before I can drink my Casein?

Just combine the two, one scoop of each. There is no reason to avoid one or the other. Casein is good before bedtime, especially on bulking cycles, to maintain anabolism due to the slow protein digestion.
Mar 25 2014 07:27pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 25 2014 06:17pm)

Tyvm!
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1176617671768176917702039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll