d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1174617471748174917502039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.01
Feb 7 2014 12:20am
finished my bachelors this past semester, and started my grad degree in materials engineering at UMD this semester. My study habits etc. werent the greatest timing wise, although i always spent a good amount of time studying. However the timing of my studying included me starting around 8 or 9pm and staying up until who knows what hour. Many nights of not getting much sleep were had as im sure you understand.

My question is, is there a point in the night a person would be getting so little sleep that it is either pointless, or even detrimental(feeling more tired waking up than going to sleep) to actually go to sleep at all. Like, i seem to do well on 5 hours of sleep occasionally as long as its not every night. So, say i have to wake up at 8, and i am awake until 6am, is there any point in sleeping and should just tough it out and go to bed early the following day?
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Feb 7 2014 12:57am
Quote (tidus_ffx2 @ Feb 7 2014 02:20am)
finished my bachelors this past semester, and started my grad degree in materials engineering at UMD this semester. My study habits etc. werent the greatest timing wise, although i always spent a good amount of time studying. However the timing of my studying included me starting around 8 or 9pm and staying up until who knows what hour. Many nights of not getting much sleep were had as im sure you understand.

My question is, is there a point in the night a person would be getting so little sleep that it is either pointless, or even detrimental(feeling more tired waking up than going to sleep) to actually go to sleep at all. Like, i seem to do well on 5 hours of sleep occasionally as long as its not every night. So, say i have to wake up at 8, and i am awake until 6am, is there any point in sleeping and should just tough it out and go to bed early the following day?

This is a point of contention in the medical community.

Theoretically, the human body can do indefinitely (within reason of regular biology) with SMALL amounts of sleep - ie: 30-60 minutes in a 24 hour period.

However, serious negative health implications exist, and this should NOT be attempted.

Going a full 1-2 days with absolutely NO sleep whatsoever is very hard on the body, but can leave you more mentally sound than if you were to get a very short amount of sleep.

The bottom line? Getting ZERO sleep can help you function better mentally, but getting only 1-2 hours of sleep is better for your physical health.
Gold: 1.05
Feb 7 2014 11:02am
hey raynlads, i just wanted to let you know you are the GOAT online trainer

also id like to see what youd suggest for me

I have full time work, with full time external study as well. Rugby training tuesday / thursday / game on saturday. This leaves Monday and wednesday nights available for lifting as i dont want to lift on friday night before game day.

any 2 day splits? focus is strength only, size is completely irrelevant

Monday

Squat + Bench

Wednesday

Deadlift + OHP

or maybe

Monday

Squat + Bench

Wednesday

Squat + Bench

or.. ?

thanks
Gold: 359.87
Feb 7 2014 11:28pm
What are your thoughts on PHAT?

have you trained that way before?
Feb 8 2014 10:40am
Quote (HotHamAndCarl @ Feb 7 2014 01:02pm)
hey raynlads, i just wanted to let you know you are the GOAT online trainer

also id like to see what youd suggest for me

I have full time work, with full time external study as well. Rugby training tuesday / thursday / game on saturday. This leaves Monday and wednesday nights available for lifting as i dont want to lift on friday night before game day.

any 2 day splits? focus is strength only, size is completely irrelevant

Monday

Squat + Bench

Wednesday

Deadlift + OHP

or maybe

Monday

Squat + Bench

Wednesday

Squat + Bench

or.. ?

thanks

Hey there.

If your primary goal is strength (I'm also assuming functional strength for Rugby), let's go this route:

Monday - 5x5 or 3x5 (your choice) -

Bench Press, Decline Bench Press, Overhead Press (military press) STANDING, Overhead Press (military press) SEATED

Wednesday - 5x5 or 3x5 (your choice) -

Squats (ATG), Lunges (BB OR DB), Deadlifts, and Weighted Pull-ups

A lot of people don't understand the huge benefit from weighted pull-ups. For pure explosive pull strength, there really isn't anything better, as you engage nearly your entire body to make the pull, which translates to lots of functional strength.

Good luck!
Feb 8 2014 10:43am
Quote (d3yek @ Feb 8 2014 01:28am)
What are your thoughts on PHAT?

have you trained that way before?

As with ANY other training program, it depends on your body individually. Some people see great gains on this type of program, whereas others have seen marginal gains at best.

My advice to anyone when attempting a new plan that works for at least some people - try it out and see how your body responds.

I stick to plain 5x5 and hypertrophy training most of the time, but sometimes do powerlifting workouts as well. The reason I stick to these, is because they have always worked the best for me, and most of the people I've trained.

P.H.A.T. training has never been a favorite of mine, but it's certainly worth a try. I have no physiological reason for you to avoid it.
Gold: 3,804.50
Feb 8 2014 12:59pm
i was looking for a jelly/jam/preserves/etc to add to fat free plain greek yogurt. i came across this product at the store. Polaner All Fruit With Fiber, spreadable fruit.

Ingredients: Juice Concentrate (pear, grape), cherries, Maltodextrin (Dietary Fiber), Fruit Pectin, Natural Flavor, and Citric Acid

Serving size 1 tbsp (18g): 35 calories, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 10 carbs (3 fiber + 7 sugar), 0 protein

i'm avoiding the splenda stuff, just getting the "all fruit with fiber" variety.

http://www.polanerspreads.com/

do you have any recommendations that are better than this?
Retired Moderator
Gold: 3,835.50
Feb 8 2014 06:17pm
Thinking about taking:
Optimum: Fish Oil Softgels
1x a Day, thoughts?
From my reading, it seems the benefits out weigh the risks

Also, I'm thinking about picking up a container of Jack3d Advance formula as my first pre-workout, what are your thoughts on pre-workouts?
(I've tried a scoop of various pre-workouts in the past from friends, personally, it just gave me a headache but I never drink anything caffeinated if that's causing the headache)
The thing is, I do cardio after lifting weights. Will the pre-workout cause a problem?
Will a certain BMI range change whether or not you should take a pre-workout?

Background information:
I've lost 70lbs since I started going to the gym 9 months ago. I've never taken anything besides one a day vitamins and gold standard whey. So I've never used any fat burner pills if I should start. My approach since I started was "I won't take any supplements or anything that can be bad for my health" and from what I've been told, fat burner pills are risky.
I'm currently 229lb 5'11

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Feb 8 2014 06:24pm
Feb 8 2014 08:28pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Feb 8 2014 02:59pm)
i was looking for a jelly/jam/preserves/etc to add to fat free plain greek yogurt. i came across this product at the store. Polaner All Fruit With Fiber, spreadable fruit.

Ingredients: Juice Concentrate (pear, grape), cherries, Maltodextrin (Dietary Fiber), Fruit Pectin, Natural Flavor, and Citric Acid

Serving size 1 tbsp (18g): 35 calories, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 10 carbs (3 fiber + 7 sugar), 0 protein

i'm avoiding the splenda stuff, just getting the "all fruit with fiber" variety.

http://www.polanerspreads.com/

do you have any recommendations that are better than this?

Assuming you are allowing yourself carbs/sugar in your diet...

Cascadian Farms has an excellent fruit spread:

http://www.cascadianfarm.com/products/fruit-spreads
Feb 8 2014 08:31pm
Quote (ArtofApocalypse @ Feb 8 2014 08:17pm)
Thinking about taking:
Optimum: Fish Oil Softgels
1x a Day, thoughts?
From my reading, it seems the benefits out weigh the risks

Also, I'm thinking about picking up a container of Jack3d Advance formula as my first pre-workout, what are your thoughts on pre-workouts?
(I've tried a scoop of various pre-workouts in the past from friends, personally, it just gave me a headache but I never drink anything caffeinated if that's causing the headache)
The thing is, I do cardio after lifting weights. Will the pre-workout cause a problem?
Will a certain BMI range change whether or not you should take a pre-workout?

Background information:
I've lost 70lbs since I started going to the gym 9 months ago. I've never taken anything besides one a day vitamins and gold standard whey. So I've never used any fat burner pills if I should start. My approach since I started was "I won't take any supplements or anything that can be bad for my health" and from what I've been told, fat burner pills are risky.
I'm currently 229lb 5'11

Those are fine, although NOW! Super Omega 3 is better.

My personal opinion about pre-workouts is that for the most part, they are not worth taking. The reason for this is because PREWOs have a ton of artificial sweetener, a ton of artificial colors/flavors, and typically highly overpriced for a ton of caffeine + beta a (which are the 2 active ingredients that make you feel like you're on speed). The healthy solution to full-blown energy is to simply drink black coffee prior to working out. 2 large cups is usually good enough for me (16-20 oz of coffee total). Alternatively you can take a caffeine pill like no-doz or GAT Jet fuel.

For a "fat burner" try the above mentioned GAT Jet Fuel, which is principally a caffeine pill with added herbs.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1174617471748174917502039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll