d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1173117321733173417352039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,000.00
Jan 7 2014 08:03am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ 5 Jan 2014 16:09)
OK no problem.

Olympic weightlifting is very similar to powerlifting in the sense that you will be training a specific set of exercises for progressive proficiency and strength increases. You will also be training supporting muscles to assist you in those exercises.

Now, considering the only two current "olympic lifts" are the Snatch (back, legs, traps, abs, shoulders) and Clean & Jerk (legs, traps, lats, abs, shoulders, chest), I would advise you also add Squats, Deadlifts, and Bench Press to the mix.

To do this, we will train in the following:

Monday - Snatch (4 sets of 2 reps, increasing in weight until 90% of 1RM - then 1 set of 1RM), Jerk (4 sets of 3 reps, increasing in weight), Back Squats (4 sets of 6 reps, increasing in weight), Clean Pulls (4 sets of 4 reps, increasing in weight)

Tuesday - Clean & Jerk (4 sets of 2 reps, increasing in weight until 90% of 1RM - then 1 set of 1RM), Power Cleans (4 sets of 4 reps, increasing in weight), Standing Push Press (4 sets of 4 reps, increasing in weight - then 1 set of 1RM), High Snatch (AKA muscle snatch) (4 sets of 4 reps, increasing in weight)

Wednesday - Deadlifts (4 sets of 2 reps, increasing in weight until 90% of 1RM - then 1 set of 1RM), Good Mornings (4 sets of 4 reps, increasing in weight), 3-position cleans (4 sets of 3 reps, increasing in weight), Rack Pulls (4 sets of 2 reps, maximum weight)

Thursday - ATG Front Squats (4 sets of 2 reps, increasing in weight until 90% of 1RM - then 1 set of 1RM), Barbell Lunges (4 sets of 5 reps to each leg, increasing in weight), Snatch Push Press (4 sets of 3 reps, increasing in weight)

Friday - Bench Press (4 sets of 2 reps, increasing in weight until 90% of 1RM - then 1 set of 1RM), Snatch (4 sets of 2 reps, increasing in weight until 90% of 1RM - then 1 set of 1RM), Clean & Jerk  (4 sets of 2 reps, increasing in weight until 90% of 1RM - then 1 set of 1RM), Power Cleans (4 sets of 4 reps, increasing)

Sat/Sun - REST

Just a note - Olympic lifting will NOT give you the physique of your dreams. However, it will provide you with a lot of functional strength, and a great improvement in those particular lifts. Make sure your diet and supplementation are up to par, and also make sure you are getting sufficient sleep.

cool! thanks :)

Btw, do you know about anything to drink that tastes good, but is kinda healthy? which i can buy in the store?

I usually drink a lot of soda during the day, switched to chocolate milk lately, but i don't know if that's any better..

This post was edited by GameBox on Jan 7 2014 08:03am
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jan 7 2014 05:29pm
Quote (Jordo @ Jan 6 2014 11:34pm)
Hey Raynor, thanks for the reply.

Since I posted yesterday I've been doing some research and talking to a few fellow exercise addicts I know and realized I really need to amp up my calories and protein especially as you say. A friend gave me 4KG of Kaizen Whey Isolate to use, I'm sure there are better but this was free. 35G of protein for 40G serving.
This is an example of my diet today, I have already upped it a bit for more calories/protein but feel free to critique it:

http://imgur.com/4fgG6ud
Basically the breakfast/lunch/snacks are typical (aside from addition of protein shake), and the dinner varies but is probably pretty consistent with that.

Interesting point on the loose skin instead of fat, I think you are probably right as I pretty much have no fat anywhere else. I've been hitting the abs pretty hard already, but will focus more on the lower abs.

Edit: What I don't want is to be burning muscle instead of building muscle, which I am worried about now.

Hey there.

Protein is too low, sugar is too high, calories are too low.

To fix this, increase your intake of protein, such as: chicken, turkey, tuna or other fish, eggs, lean beef, etc.

Also reduce the sugar content to fruit only, and to supplement the lost calories, increase your complex carbs such as pasta, brown rice, oats, buckwheat, quinoa, sweet potatoes, other whole grains, etc.

You need to get your calories up in the area of at LEAST 3,000+, with at least 200-250g of protein. This is a bare MINIMUM you need to strive for. On days that you work out, you will need at least 500-1000 more calories than that.

Keep sugar to no more than 60-70g per day.

Also make sure to drink at least 1 gal of water per day, minimum.
Jan 7 2014 05:31pm
Quote (RADickey @ Jan 6 2014 11:45pm)
You know I always ended up screwing myself over haha. I wouldn't eat anything and then it would get late at night and I would be starving and I would eat before I slept. I hear that's the worst time to eat.

The time doesn't matter. Eating before bed doesn't matter. That's all a myth. The key is to have the 18 hours of fasting, and 6 hours of feeding. However you can work that out, the times don't matter.
Jan 7 2014 05:36pm
Quote (exonerated @ Jan 7 2014 12:15am)
Hello again Raynor! Today I started the plan you gave me a few weeks ago.  I knew it would be brutal, especially when transitioning from a 5x5 to this, but damn I was in for a rude awakening.  I started today since I start my diet next week and wanted to start getting into this routine before dieting.  I just have a few questions.  Here is what you recommended me in case you forgot:

I think I set the bar on weight too high.  For example I usually do 225 for reps on bench.  I attempted 185 for this plan today.  Was brutal! I had to lower the weight.  Should I be sticking with the same weight for all 4 sets and aiming for the most weight I can do with the proper number of reps?  Or should I be starting with a higher weight and decreasing as I continue?

Also, what is your opinion on diet soda during keto?  I know people have claimed they get thrown out of keto by it, but I like to use diet soda as my salvation when im on the diet.  I limit it as much as possible of course, maybe a can every few days.  I haven't personally seen myself thrown out of keto by it, so im assuming it's ok.  Should I also stop taking creatine during my diet?

P.S. I can't move my arms.  I FEEL TONER ALREADY BRAH. I got exactly 5 months and a week until my Vegas trip.  I plan on going as hard as possible until then.

Start off heavy as possible for 15x reps, then keep the same weight (or reduce it if necessary) and decrease the reps as you take only 10-12 seconds rest between sets. By the last set, you will most likely be BEYOND exhausted.

On keto, diet soda is OK if you are not thrown out by the citric acid. I also recommend you try Zevia as a diet soda, as it is made with stevia and not aspartame. Tastes great and no possible long term health concerns.

Creatine you can continue with, absolutely.

Keep up the good work! Remember to take the carb day at least once every 2 weeks, and no more than once a week. Also make sure that the one week prior to going on the trip you let me know, so we can switch your end game diet to refill your muscles and enhance your vascularity without any fat gain for the trip.
Jan 7 2014 05:37pm
Quote (GameBox @ Jan 7 2014 10:03am)
cool! thanks :)

Btw, do you know about anything to drink that tastes good, but is kinda healthy? which i can buy in the store?

I usually drink a lot of soda during the day, switched to chocolate milk lately, but i don't know if that's any better..

Both aren't really good because of the excess sugar.

You need to drink at least 1 gal of pure water per day, and in addition to that, you can try the following:

Sobe Lifewater (0 cal stevia sweetened), Vitamin Water Zero (0 cal stevia sweetened), Zevia (0 cal stevia sweetened soda), Unsweetened iced tea + lemon + stevia, or water + lemon + stevia
Gold: 3,804.50
Jan 7 2014 06:01pm
coworker introduced me to crock pot liners, some sort of bag you put in a slow cooker so you dont have to clean it. according to the site they're bpa free. is it safe to use?

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/media/171330/scl_faq.pdf
Jan 7 2014 07:27pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Jan 7 2014 08:01pm)
coworker introduced me to crock pot liners, some sort of bag you put in a slow cooker so you dont have to clean it. according to the site they're bpa free. is it safe to use?

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/media/171330/scl%5Ffaq.pdf

It's a hot topic of debate right now regarding heat and plastics, even without BPA. I can not advise you either way, however I will say this...it is generally best to bide on the side of caution. I would avoid using these and just take the extra 2 minutes and clean the crock pot.
Gold: 3,804.50
Jan 8 2014 08:39pm
I just came across fruit-flavoured-twists at aldis today. the ingredients look good to me, but i thought i'd check with you.

Jan 9 2014 06:45pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Jan 8 2014 10:39pm)
I just came across fruit-flavoured-twists at aldis today. the ingredients look good to me, but i thought i'd check with you.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/eu09vq.jpg

I see nothing wrong there. Enjoy
Gold: 8,000.00
Jan 10 2014 05:35am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ 8 Jan 2014 00:37)
Both aren't really good because of the excess sugar.

You need to drink at least 1 gal of pure water per day, and in addition to that, you can try the following:

Sobe Lifewater (0 cal stevia sweetened), Vitamin Water Zero (0 cal stevia sweetened), Zevia (0 cal stevia sweetened soda), Unsweetened iced tea + lemon + stevia, or water + lemon + stevia

Thanks.

This is my current routine, and i really enjoy it! Would you mind looking into it to see if there's something i can cut out, or maybe do instead? Is Shoulder Press with a BB better than Arnold Presses with DBs? what about 1 set with deadlifts then 3 with back extensions?

Training monday, tuesday, thursday and friday, alternating push and pull

PULL:
Deadlift 5x1
Squat 8x3
Weighted Back Extension 12x3
Leg Extension 10x3
Leg Curls 10x3
Barbell Bent Over Row 8x3
Wide Grip Pulldown 10x3
Dumbbell One Arm Row 10x3
Barbell Curl 10x3
Alternate Hammer Curl 12x3 (12 each hand)

PUSH:
Barbell Bench Press 8x3
Dumbbell Incline Bench press 10x3
Dumbbell Incline Fly 12x3
Lying Pullover 12x3
Dumbbell Seated Arnold Press 8x3
Dumbbell Shrug 10x3
Lateral Raise 12x3
Barbell Triceps Extension 10x3
Rope Triceps Pushdown 12x3
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1173117321733173417352039Next