d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1171017111712171317142039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.05
Oct 29 2013 08:19pm
raydaddy there is only 1 way to beat lightman and that is to get shreddddddddded. lets see now.

never intentionally cut before,

im sitting at 6'3, 101 kg and if i had to guess 12-13% bf (no estats, fairly lean)

ive worked out my TDEE to be 3144 kcals

the last 2 days have been close enough to 2800 cals, 240 P, 280 C, 80 F (not including fish oil), roughly 25% fat, 35% P and 40% C

how does this look?

as i lose weight should i be keeping my protein and fats the same and just be manipulating carbs to lower the cals further?

thanks a lot! (we can do this)
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Oct 29 2013 08:30pm
Quote (tidus_ffx2 @ Oct 26 2013 03:29pm)
Not asking for advice this time. Agreeing with this statement. You have always helped anyone who has asked with any random question. And i cant imagine the things youve been asked in 1700+ pages of this thread.

Thank you for the kind words.
Oct 29 2013 08:32pm
Quote (Marquina @ Oct 26 2013 03:48pm)
what is the advantage of doing chest back together? 1 excercise of each for like 5 excercises of each :?

Some people get very good results from pairing up antagonistic muscle groups. This allows you to train each muscle group to absolute failure without running the risk of cross-training them, causing pre-exhaustion.

Other people respond better to traditional training methods.

It's best to try different methods, and see how well your body responds.
Oct 29 2013 08:36pm
Quote (tidus_ffx2 @ Oct 27 2013 04:25pm)
Been  having some pain in my left leg for the last week or so. More specifically, below the knee and above the ankle. Not the shin or calf, so the sides of my lower leg i suppose. Also aybe inward more towards the shin instead of the calf.

Not exactly sure what the cause is or the exact time frame, however i have noticed when it does hurt. Ive been playing basketball a lot the last week and a half. And ive noticed it hurts while doing so. Ive also noticed that whenever i go to lay up i always go up to the right side, and land on my left foot. Also, i was doing pistol squats the other day as well and it hurt the left leg and not the right. However i can still Deadlift and squat as heavy as i want with no pain. And when i do play basketball it hurts like hell during and is sore the rest of the day, and is completely gone by the next day. Now obviously i know i need to work on my landings while im playing, because if i keep landing on my left side while playing, it will wear my left leg down.

My question is, what do you believe this is? Or if its serious or not? And what a potential cause could be, since the pain started from day one of playing. Lastly, should i go to a doctor and get it checked out or is there something you believe i can do on my own to "rehab" it.

Thanks a bunch in advance

You could have:

Simple Shin Splints (less likely)
Stress Fractures (more likely)
Compartment Syndrome (most likely)

The only way to tell is first of all to focus on NOT impacting that leg directly through jumping or direct force contact. Instead, stick to lower impact strength training items and see if you notice the pain. You said you can deadlift and squat without pain, so try biking, swimming, and lastly - running.

If all of the above don't cause you distress, it's the trauma from jumping and landing on that leg. You must immediately discontinue doing this to avoid potential debilitating injury.

The solution for now is removal of the cause of the injury, ice, mobility exercises, and plenty of rest as needed.
Oct 29 2013 08:36pm
Quote (immunity @ Oct 28 2013 02:30am)
eat everything in sight+lift heavy

this is all you need to know guys

Do not SPAM this sticky.

Thank you.
Oct 29 2013 08:43pm
Quote (Shekkie @ Oct 28 2013 03:23am)
Raynor, I came to you last year asking this advice and received some great insight.  I experimented away from it as the year went on and now I'm in a unfavorable situation.

I'm sure you don't remember me since you're incredibly popular and all.
First off, swimming is my main priority.  I no longer swim for college but just compete in the masters.

I've been lifting 3x a week Back/bi, Legs/shoulders, Chest/tri after my swim workout (abs twice a week)
approx 15-20reps x 3 (2 exercises per muscle group)

Anyways I've been feeling off when I've been swimming lately (almost as if I'm too dense for the water). my arms have definitely are slower in finishing up my strokes and like i mentioned earlier I just feel like I'm sinking quicker.
Now I'm not 100% sure if this is my minds playing tricks on me but I do remember you suggesting a workout of lifting heavy 10,8,5,3,1 or something similar with 10seconds rest in between.

I'm not trying to get any bigger(or well maybe I'm just paranoid about the swimming part), if anything I'm even trying to lean out a bit.

Any new workout suggestions? or should i just be avoiding weights for now?
Also i was considering switching up the 3 day routine to

back/chest  shoulder/leg  chest/bi

Thanks in advance

Hey there.

Increased muscle density and volume will certainly make you less buoyant.

However, for your training purposes, you can switch your exercises up to very high repetition and lighter weight. This will help increase your muscular endurance which will greatly improve your swimming ability (considering you have sufficient foundation strength now).

Set/Rep scheme should be in the area of 3 sets of 15-30 reps, nearing failure with each set. Focus on persisting after the muscles burn uncontrollably - which will vastly improve your endurance capability.

Oct 29 2013 08:46pm
Quote (imnotevensureofthis @ Oct 29 2013 05:39am)
Hey man two quick questions.

I'm looking to drop around 100 pounds and what is the safest and reasonable way to lose this weight with the LEAST amount of loose skin/etc as possible, or will that happen regardless?

Secondly, I looked at your cutting workout routine is there any specifics I should be looking for when making/customizing one? I'm going to follow the same split but diff exercises etc. not sure what to look for though.

Thanks man

A few things.

First of all, losing the fat SLOWLY is the only way to help with preventing loose skin. However, even with a very slow cut, you will still have some.

I would recommend no more than 2-3 lbs per week as a safe goal, which puts you at around 33-50 weeks for all 100 lbs with absolute MINIMAL excess/loose skin.

The cutting routine is great. You want to try and stick to as many compound exercises as possible. Why do you want to use different exercises?

Oct 29 2013 08:52pm
Quote (HotHamAndCarl @ Oct 29 2013 10:19pm)
raydaddy there is only 1 way to beat lightman and that is to get shreddddddddded. lets see now.

never intentionally cut before,

im sitting at 6'3, 101 kg and if i had to guess 12-13% bf (no estats, fairly lean)

ive worked out my TDEE to be 3144 kcals

the last 2 days have been close enough to 2800 cals, 240 P, 280 C, 80 F (not including fish oil), roughly 25% fat, 35% P and 40% C

how does this look?

as i lose weight should i be keeping my protein and fats the same and just be manipulating carbs to lower the cals further?

thanks a lot! (we can do this)

I don't know who that is.

However, you are already on target. Are your TDEE numbers configured to reflect exercise? Or without? On non training days you need FAR fewer carbs than on training days. Also, on training days, more protein is required. Total calories on training days should be increased (obviously).

That being said, assuming you are ~2800 cals when TDEE is 3144, you will see a slow cut occur, which is optimal.

Exactly what you said in reference to carbs. Manipulate them ONLY in order to achieve more cutting. Fat/Protein need not be reduced in favor of carbs. Keep up the good work!

To the disbelievers who say all macros are equal when cutting, please attempt a 10/80/10 of p/c/f with 500 less calories than your TDEE and lets see how that works out.
Gold: 3.00
Oct 29 2013 09:49pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 29 2013 07:43pm)
Hey there.

Increased muscle density and volume will certainly make you less buoyant.

However, for your training purposes, you can switch your exercises up to very high repetition and lighter weight. This will help increase your muscular endurance which will greatly improve your swimming ability (considering you have sufficient foundation strength now).

Set/Rep scheme should be in the area of 3 sets of 15-30 reps, nearing failure with each set. Focus on persisting after the muscles burn uncontrollably - which will vastly improve your endurance capability.

Awesome thank you!
would alternating between your suggested rep scheme and heavier lifts with very little rest in between each set also be beneficial?

This post was edited by Shekkie on Oct 29 2013 09:49pm
Gold: 285.01
Oct 30 2013 01:26pm
Almo
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 29 2013 09:36pm)
You could have:

Simple Shin Splints (less likely)
Stress Fractures (more likely)
Compartment Syndrome (most likely)

The only way to tell is first of all to focus on NOT impacting that leg directly through jumping or direct force contact. Instead, stick to lower impact strength training items and see if you notice the pain. You said you can deadlift and squat without pain, so try biking, swimming, and lastly - running.

If all of the above don't cause you distress, it's the trauma from jumping and landing on that leg. You must immediately discontinue doing this to avoid potential debilitating injury.

The solution for now is removal of the cause of the injury, ice, mobility exercises, and plenty of rest as needed.

Almost immediately after seeing this I biked and swam yesterday. No pain. Just got back from running and there was slight pain. No where near as much. Unsure if it was just lingering pain or somethin else. Do you recommend getting an x ray or getting it checked out?
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1171017111712171317142039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll