d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev11631641651661672039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.00
Jul 23 2009 09:44am
Hey i have a question/problem.

Until now i didnt really have a lot of leg exercises in my training schedule, but now i want to do more of them.
I think i can only do seated leg exercises because i hurt my lower back very easily, and i dont want to risk that :/. So is it possible to still have a good leg workout then? and what are some good alternatives then?

Also i dont know on what day to do my leg workout. I go 4 times a week, and i dont want to go more often. Is there any difference in doing it for example on the same day as abs or on the same day as your shoulders ?

Any help is appreciated , thank you :)

This post was edited by SeaBas on Jul 23 2009 09:44am
Gold: 748.53
Jul 23 2009 10:17am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Thu, Jul 23 2009, 05:36am)
straight leg deads focus a LOT on lower back - do not do these on leg days contrary to what other people might say.

replace squats with either machine hack squats, or bb/db lunges.

should i do both hack squats and lunges since squats are such a good exercise or just one or the other?
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jul 23 2009 10:46am
Quote (SeaBas @ Thu, Jul 23 2009, 11:44am)
Hey i have a question/problem.

Until now i didnt really have a lot of leg exercises in my training schedule, but now i want to do more of them.
I think i can only do seated leg exercises because i hurt my lower back very easily, and i dont want to risk that :/. So is it possible to still have a good leg workout then? and what are some good alternatives then?

Also i dont know on what day to do my leg workout. I go 4 times a week, and i dont want to go more often. Is there any difference in doing it for example on the same day as abs or on the same day as your shoulders ?

Any help is appreciated , thank you :)

hey there. the best idea is to stick with leg extensions, leg curls, hip abduction, hip adduction, seated calf raises, and of course....laying or seated leg press

as far as days go, I usually like to dedicate at least 1 full day a week to legs training - nothing else. However you can easily do it on shoulder days if you have the energy to do approx 40 sets total (20 legs 20 shoulders).
Jul 23 2009 10:46am
Quote (Balla @ Thu, Jul 23 2009, 12:17pm)
should i do both hack squats and lunges since squats are such a good exercise or just one or the other?

try both and pick one and go with it. you can alternate them week to week, but I would not recommend doing both as this will add more sets and cause you to fatigue sooner.
Gold: 748.53
Jul 23 2009 10:47am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Thu, Jul 23 2009, 11:46am)
try both and pick one and go with it. you can alternate them week to week, but I would not recommend doing both as this will add more sets and cause you to fatigue sooner.

ok...i think ill do hack squats then, since i can't do regular squats i would thing doing some kind of squat like that would be beneficial..
Jul 23 2009 10:54am
Quote (Balla @ Thu, Jul 23 2009, 12:47pm)
ok...i think ill do hack squats then, since i can't do regular squats i would thing doing some kind of squat like that would be beneficial..

only do them if you can WITHOUT pain. good luck!
Gold: 0.85
Jul 23 2009 04:56pm
Hey I have recently started to workout and I want to know a good way to increase the reps?

Should I use same weight with more reps?

Or use a higher weight at less to increase?

Also What's a good schedule to workout, I.e 7 days a week, what would be a good to do bi's/tri's/chest/cardio.

I have access to a local gym, and some at the house.
Jul 23 2009 05:01pm
Quote (Destruct0 @ Thu, Jul 23 2009, 06:56pm)
Hey I have recently started to workout and I want to know a good way to increase the reps?

Should I use same weight with more reps?

Or use a higher weight at less to increase?

Also What's a good schedule to workout, I.e 7 days a week, what would be a good to do bi's/tri's/chest/cardio.

I have access to a local gym, and some at the house.

Hey there - let me get this right....you want to increase your REPS with the same amount of weight that you can do now? so for instance you can do 225 lb bench press for 5 reps, you want to be able to increase it to 10 reps?

if this is the case, the best way to do this is called alternating training. That means that for 1 week you go heavy (no more than 4-6 reps of very heavy weight), while the next week you do a lot of reps of moderate weight. Another good strategy is to use a spotter to help you force out negatives. So say that you can do 225 lbs bench press for 5 reps by urself, have a spotter come help you so that you can FORCE out another 5 reps. He will be assisting you with lifting it (but hopefully just slightly) and this will eventually force your muscles to accommodate.

You should work out only 4-6 days a week depending on what you are trying to do.

3 days on 1 day off - for strength and power

5 days on 2 days off - for strength and power

6 days on 1 day off - for cutting and bodybuilding

1 day on 1 day off - for maintenance

I would recommend training like this for the amateur bodybuilder:

Mon - Back/Tris
Tues - Chest/Bis/Abs
Weds - Legs/Shoulders
Thurs - OFF
Fri - Chest/Back/Abs
Sat - Arms/Legs/Shoulders
Sunday - OFF
Gold: 0.85
Jul 23 2009 05:15pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Thu, Jul 23 2009, 06:01pm)
Hey there - let me get this right....you want to increase your REPS with the same amount of weight that you can do now? so for instance you can do 225 lb bench press for 5 reps, you want to be able to increase it to 10 reps?

if this is the case, the best way to do this is called alternating training. That means that for 1 week you go heavy (no more than 4-6 reps of very heavy weight), while the next week you do a lot of reps of moderate weight. Another good strategy is to use a spotter to help you force out negatives. So say that you can do 225 lbs bench press for 5 reps by urself, have a spotter come help you so that you can FORCE out another 5 reps. He will be assisting you with lifting it (but hopefully just slightly) and this will eventually force your muscles to accommodate.

You should work out only 4-6 days a week depending on what you are trying to do.

3 days on 1 day off - for strength and power

5 days on 2 days off - for strength and power

6 days on 1 day off - for cutting and bodybuilding

1 day on 1 day off - for maintenance

I would recommend training like this for the amateur bodybuilder:

Mon - Back/Tris
Tues - Chest/Bis/Abs
Weds - Legs/Shoulders
Thurs - OFF
Fri - Chest/Back/Abs
Sat - Arms/Legs/Shoulders
Sunday - OFF

Thanks for the feedback, and yes that is what I was speaking of on increasing reps. I'll give it a shot.
Gold: 263.00
Jul 23 2009 09:15pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Thu, Jul 9 2009, 06:07am)
ok heres what you need to do:

1.  you need a more rigid diet. no more generalized turkey sandwiches and "whatever" for dinner...you need specifics.

2.  start doing 20-30 mins of cardio at the end of every workout

3. before bed, replace the apple and peanut butter with cottage cheese

4. eat every 2 hour

5 no sugar.

Diet -

meal 1 - 3 eggs, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 banana, 1 glass milk

meal 2 - protein shake or turkey sandwich

meal 3 - protein shake or tuna salad sandwich

meal 4 - 1 lean meat + large helping of green veggies

meal 5 - 1 lean meat + large helping of green veggies

meal 6 - cottage cheese + a few mixed nuts (any kind). If you can't stomach the cottage cheese, replace with casein shake (optimum is fine)

if i need to fit in like 1-2 more meals, should i just do the same as meal 2-3? for work i gotta get up at around 9, safe to say at about 9:30 i eat breakfast. make it to work by 10 etc but to put a safe "sleep time" at about 11-11:30 id need to fit in 2 more meals, 1 for 9:30 and 1 before i sleep to get the protein i need over the night
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev11631641651661672039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll