d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev11591601611621632039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jul 21 2009 04:03pm
Quote (GodLovesUgly @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 05:11pm)
why?

because creatine needs a simple sugar transport that is non-acidic. The best choice is always 100% natural fruit juice for obvious reasons. However, the highest glycemic fruit juices are grape juice and apple juice.

mix the monohydrate with that for optimal benefit in the transportation of creatine to the muscle (insulin spike) as well as post workout sugar to replenish glycogen stores.

as for the shake, 100% whey isolate is the fastest acting protein you can get (within reason) - and you need that right after a workout....preferably mix it with 5g glutamine to reduce the effects of post workout catabolism

and for the sweet potato, it is loaded with complex carbs and nutrients (as well as being a whole food - so it is digested differently than a liquid like adding dextrose to shakes) - plus who doesn't love sweet potatoes??? =)
Gold: 0.00
Jul 21 2009 04:04pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:01pm)
it would be fine.

I'm just not a fan of using dextrose with my protein. I think the best choice for carbs (always) is from whole foods. Your body uses it more efficiently, and it also burns calories by eating it...vs liquid foods (shakes). I'm a purist, and the only reason I use shakes is to supplement protein. Carbs are absolutely no problem ;-)  but if you absolutely love the maltodextrose in your shake, go for it.

Thanks

Edit : How much time should i wait btw grape juice + creatine and shake ?

This post was edited by serennia on Jul 21 2009 04:06pm
Jul 21 2009 04:13pm
Quote (Mesonychid @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 05:22pm)
Because sweet potatoes are the shit...
Btw, SKC, how much have your lifts gone up? :o

yes, yes they are lol.

well I just caught pneumonia last night at the gym...I have no idea how it happened. Felt fine all day, worked out, left the gym and randomly got a fever. it spiked to 103 degrees last night, I was hallucinating and incredibly dizzy. I almost went to the hospital, but I manned up and covered myself in ice packs and took aspirin until the fever went down. Now today my lungs hurt like someone filled them with razor blades. I am going to the urgent care clinic soon - but I'm 99.9% sure its pneumonia (bacterial) given the onset and symptoms. At least medical school is good for something lol.

anyway as for my lifts...I just started bulking again (2 weeks ago), my weight is approx 171 right now. My goal is 200 this time at no more than 13% bf.

I did 315 on the bench for 12 reps last week, then I did 365 for 8 reps. Then I did 405 for 4 reps, and finally failed on my second rep of 435.

As for deadlifts, I have been doing straight leg deadlifts of 465 lbs for 6-8 reps. I do not advocate going too heavy for deadlifts, they are one of the most dangerous exercises out there, and unless I was training for a very special powerlifting competition, I'd keep the reps no less than 6.

Squats have not increased. I had a bad pelvic injury when I was 16 (thrown from a car resulting in my pelvis being shattered among other very serious injuries) I rarely go heavy on squats as my pelvis and knees simply can not take the abuse regularly. However, I did do one solid rep ATG of 485 a last week just to see if I could handle it. I had 2 spotters, 2 belts, and knee wraps to ensure the least likely possibility of an injury. My pelvis is literally partially inverted on my left side, and too heavy weight on squats results in great discomfort.

clean and jerk I no longer do. It is an olympic lift and even though it was optimal for cutting, during bulking I stay away.

standing barbell curl - 205 lbs x 1 did it a few weeks ago on cutting actually (medium/wide grip)

Leg press I am stuck at 1400 the machine does not go any heavier lol...and I don't dare have someone sit on top of the machine while I do reps...someone got hurt doing that a while ago and the gym has banned it now - I don't like to make waves.

I max out virtually every non-freeweight machine at the gym...with the exception of the inverted seated tricep extension....I can hardly do half the weight on that - its ridiculous.

thanks for the interest.

Jul 21 2009 04:14pm
Quote (serennia @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 06:04pm)
Thanks

Edit : How much time should i wait btw grape juice + creatine and shake ?

grape juice and creatine IMMEDIATELY.

shake within 15-20 minutes

sweet potato or complex carbs within 20-30 mins
Jul 21 2009 04:25pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:13pm)
yes, yes they are lol.

well I just caught pneumonia last night at the gym...I have no idea how it happened. Felt fine all day, worked out, left the gym and randomly got a fever. it spiked to 103 degrees last night, I was hallucinating and incredibly dizzy. I almost went to the hospital, but I manned up and covered myself in ice packs and took aspirin until the fever went down. Now today my lungs hurt like someone filled them with razor blades. I am going to the urgent care clinic soon - but I'm 99.9% sure its pneumonia (bacterial) given the onset and symptoms. At least medical school is good for something lol.

anyway as for my lifts...I just started bulking again (2 weeks ago), my weight is approx 171 right now. My goal is 200 this time at no more than 13% bf.

I did 315 on the bench for 12 reps last week, then I did 365 for 8 reps. Then I did 405 for 4 reps, and finally failed on my second rep of 435.

As for deadlifts, I have been doing straight leg deadlifts of 465 lbs for 6-8 reps. I do not advocate going too heavy for deadlifts, they are one of the most dangerous exercises out there, and unless I was training for a very special powerlifting competition, I'd keep the reps no less than 6.

Squats have not increased. I had a bad pelvic injury when I was 16 (thrown from a car resulting in my pelvis being shattered among other very serious injuries) I rarely go heavy on squats as my pelvis and knees simply can not take the abuse regularly. However, I did do one solid rep ATG of 485 a last week just to see if I could handle it. I had 2 spotters, 2 belts, and knee wraps to ensure the least likely possibility of an injury. My pelvis is literally partially inverted on my left side, and too heavy weight on squats results in great discomfort.

clean and jerk I no longer do. It is an olympic lift and even though it was optimal for cutting, during bulking I stay away.

standing barbell curl - 205 lbs x 1 did it a few weeks ago on cutting actually (medium/wide grip)

Leg press I am stuck at 1400 the machine does not go any heavier lol...and I don't dare have someone sit on top of the machine while I do reps...someone got hurt doing that a while ago and the gym has banned it now - I don't like to make waves.

I max out virtually every non-freeweight machine at the gym...with the exception of the inverted seated tricep extension....I can hardly do half the weight on that - its ridiculous.

thanks for the interest.

Amazing lift there specially the benching. Need update on your pics tbh
Jul 21 2009 07:07pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 05:13pm)
yes, yes they are lol.

thanks for the interest.

you have got ridiculous strength for someone so light
Jul 21 2009 09:28pm
Quote (Dangers @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 09:07pm)
you have got ridiculous strength for someone so light

Quote (serennia @ Tue, Jul 21 2009, 06:25pm)
Amazing lift there specially the benching. Need update on your pics tbh

Thank you both.

I will take some new pics sometime. I have a new cell phone and the camera part doesn't show on the outside screen, only on the inside screen - so its pretty difficult to take pictures by myself...I really need someone to do it for me. I have always trained for strength over size - I have a height advantage however...being only 5'7, 170 lbs on me would be equivalent to 220 on a 6'0 man.
Jul 21 2009 10:32pm
Would you agree that 2:1:1 is the optimal BCAA ratio?

On a somewhat related note, what do you make of this protein? http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/muscle-gauge-whey-protein-isolate.html

Tempted to buy me a 10 lb. even though I recently bought some other whey.

Also, props on your mutant lifts.
Gold: 112.00
Jul 21 2009 10:43pm
Quote (Gemba @ Wed, Jul 22 2009, 04:32am)

I think he actually mentioned that in the first pages of this thread.
Jul 21 2009 10:46pm
Quote (Gemba @ Wed, Jul 22 2009, 12:32am)

On a somewhat related note, what do you make of this protein? http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/muscle-gauge-whey-protein-isolate.html

Tempted to buy me a 10 lb. even though I recently bought some other whey.

Also, props on your mutant lifts.

yes 2:1:1 is correct.

That brand of protein I am not familiar with. I would stick to NOW! 100% whey protein isolate. I know for a fact that its 100% pure and exactly what it says it is. I can not vouch for this company. The price is also approximately the same.

edit: lol and thank you.

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Jul 21 2009 10:47pm
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev11591601611621632039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll