d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1128612871288128912902039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Feb 7 2012 09:24pm
Quote (FiGi @ Feb 7 2012 06:26am)
I think you missed this or ignored it :P . Can you tell me something about it ?

This is fairly normal. Try taking multi-minerals every day (Twinlab makes a good one) in addition to regular vitamins. Also take ZMA before bed each night (NOW! brand is good)

Avoid drinking, smoking, and leaving your hair out in the sun. Avoid wearing hats, and also keep your scalp clean.

However, it's really genetics that play the main role here.
Feb 7 2012 10:11pm
Quote (MisterFurious @ Feb 7 2012 06:31am)
I have developed a sports umbilical hernia. basically I tore my abdomen muscles. I have surgery scheduled for the 16th, how can I workout without flexing or using my abs? And what muscle groups can i target?

DO NOT work out with your current condition. It is VERY dangerous to work out with an umbilical hernia.

I want you on complete rest until you are medically cleared to go back.
Feb 7 2012 10:12pm
Quote (RenegadeWoom @ Feb 7 2012 02:54pm)
im starting the 5x5 workout soon raynor , ill let you know how it goes , should i also try a 5/3/1 ?

5/3/1 would be better for pure power - don't bother with this unless you are trying to compete or develop a very strong 1RM.

5x5 is much better for functional strength
Feb 7 2012 10:14pm
Quote (TempoONE @ Feb 7 2012 03:36pm)
when should i consider wrist straps and belts?

Wrist straps are good when you feel that your grip is hindering the ability to lift more weight (particular exercises like deadlifts, lat pulldowns, and so forth. Belts are good for supporting the lower back during high risk exercises such as bench press, where a superior arch in the back can also lead to injury if a twist or slight abnormal motion occurs. In addition it helps compartmentalize strength better - some call it cheating, personally I believe it to be a tool.

Quote (TempoONE @ Feb 7 2012 09:34pm)
thoughts on kale?

Kale is an excellent green full of antioxidants....tastes great also. Kale Pesto is fantastic (google recipes for this). Also lightly steamed kale with olive oil and garlic w/ lemon is superb.
Feb 7 2012 10:15pm
Quote (xKoopa @ Feb 7 2012 09:53pm)
Hey raynor what are some exercises you would suggest for building shoulder strength and size? Ive had shoulder issues for a couple years and they hurt after military presses and occasionally after some heavy benching. Im gonna see a sports doctor hopefully within the next month but just curious on your opinion

The best 5 shoulder exercises are as follows:

Military Press
DB Shoulder Press
DB Front and Lat Raises
Arnold Presses
Behind the Neck Press

In regard to traps, obviously DB and BB shrugs are the only way to go.
Feb 7 2012 10:20pm
Quote (Floppyduck @ Feb 7 2012 10:14pm)
raynor what do you think of the paleo diet ?

It has it's place, but I personally do not believe in it. The human body is not as simplistic to differentiate in the way that is claimed in the paleo diet. In addition, the frequency of eating I also disagree with.

Generally speaking, these "fad" diets are garbage. There is science, there is theory, there are opinions, and there are facts. We know for SURE that the body reads/considers macros, calories, micros, and frequency of eating in regard to chemical, hormonal, and physiological changes. We have no proof that the body responds better to a certain TYPE of calories/macros/micros than others. That doesn't mean go out and eat mcdonalds to meet your quota. You still have to consider the food source to be as clean as possible and as free from artificial and chemical ingredients as possible. However I would advise that you listen to your own body. If you are craving a steak, go for it as long as it fits within your daily allowance. Discipline your body though. Do not let it command you. Sometimes when you feel like taco bell and have enough calories to fill it - tell the body to shut up and eat grilled chicken and rice instead.

I believe variety is also a big factor in diets. You must keep the body guessing or else it will become resistant to whatever you are doing to it. Cycle on and off of foods. Eat chicken every day for a week, and maybe on the 7th or 8th day, eat no chicken. Just an example.

Keto is the absolute only "diet" that I know scientifically works. Ketosis maximizes fat loss without having to do intermittent fasting or any other dramatic dietary item.
Gold: 5.20
Feb 7 2012 10:51pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Feb 7 2012 08:15pm)
The best 5 shoulder exercises are as follows:

Military Press
DB Shoulder Press
DB Front and Lat Raises
Arnold Presses
Behind the Neck Press

In regard to traps, obviously DB and BB shrugs are the only way to go.

How about seated barbell shoulder press? are these more like DB shoulder press or seated military press? and what do you think of it, should i bother with it? I ask because I've been doing the same shoulder exercise for 6+ months (military press, db shoulder press, db front and lat raises)
Gold: 0.00
Feb 8 2012 01:43pm
Heya Raynor, quick question
When I go to work on my bigger/main muscle groups, I have difficulties at times with heavier weights. I feel as though my supporting muscles are not strong enough to support the bigger ones. Could that be the case?
It happens specifically for chest.

Also, how does one know whether they have asthma or not? I think I may have it a bit, but not 100%. Is that possible?
Feb 8 2012 05:26pm
Quote (TempoONE @ Feb 8 2012 12:51am)
How about seated barbell shoulder press? are these more like DB shoulder press or seated military press? and what do you think of it, should i bother with it?  I ask because I've been doing the same shoulder exercise for 6+ months (military press, db shoulder press, db front and lat raises)

Yes, seated barbell shoulder press is perfectly fine. It's very close to a military press without going down as far. Just make sure to hit JUST BELOW 90 degrees and then go back up for the full shoulder effect
Feb 8 2012 05:28pm
Quote (xVanished @ Feb 8 2012 03:43pm)
Heya Raynor, quick question
When I go to work on my bigger/main muscle groups, I have difficulties at times with heavier weights. I feel as though my supporting muscles are not strong enough to support the bigger ones. Could that be the case?
It happens specifically for chest.

Also, how does one know whether they have asthma or not? I think I may have it a bit, but not 100%. Is that possible?

1. You MIGHT have support muscle issues, but I doubt it. You probably need to work heavily on form. Stick with a weight you can do for 8-10 reps (unassisted) and go as SLOW as possible on each rep and focus on form. In addition, you might want to start training chest 2x per week instead of 1x. This will give you additional volume and allow the chest to grow faster if it's just being stubborn. If after a few weeks you see no changes, come back and get me.

2. To know if you have asthma, the easiest way is to SEE YOUR DOCTOR. I can not stress this enough, go to the doctor asap and get a diagnosis.

Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1128612871288128912902039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll