d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev11231241251261272039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Apr 29 2009 07:10pm
Quote (Obsessed @ Tue, Apr 28 2009, 10:18pm)
Hello, thanks for doing this for everyone :D
and since you seem to know a ton about this kinda stuff I figure I'll see what you suggest.

Stats:

17 years old
5'10''
150 lbs
6 pack / nicely cut etc
230 bench
305 squat
210 clean & jerk

I was wondering what kind of stretches would you suggest.  I have been lifting for a while and streched quite a bit when I first started and then quit altogether when I broke my ankle.  I recently started working out again.  Just wondering what you think.  Also would like a suggestion on what weight/percent of total I should use for my lifts and how many reps/sets?

Much thanks :thumbsup:

Hey there....well to be honest as I have found in my years...stretching is truly individual. You need to be stretching in a way that fits YOUR body. A lot of people say to stretch a certain way and do it for a certain period of time, etc - I have grown to understand that it really is different with everybody. I would, however, reccomend stretching before, during, and after every workout for maximum effectiveness in both range-of-motion, muscle length, and injury prevention (some say stretching increases injuries, I disagree - if stretches are done properly, they will warm up the muscle groups for full range training without sprains/pulls/tears).

As far as for your formerly broken ankle goes, I seriously would NOT do any exercises that bear too much weight on it - work gradually into leg exercises that support weight (like leg press, squats, lunges, etc).

As far as weight/reps/etc - you need to follow this brief overview:

Bodybuilding training (bulking) - stick to drop sets, failures, and compound sets with approx 10-20 seconds rest between sets and about 1-2 minute rest between exercises (keep the weight medium-medium high)

Bodybuilding training (cutting) - same as above except no more than 12-15 seconds rest between exercises and 0 seconds rest between sets (keep weight medium)

Powerlifting training (bulking) - super heavy weight, low reps, focus on FULL range of motion, but also use cheating sets to break walls

Powerlifting training (cutting) - super heavy weight, low reps, THEN DO FORCED DROP SETS IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS WITH NO REST, also do cardio at the end of training.

Apr 29 2009 07:21pm
Quote (domdomdom01 @ Tue, Apr 28 2009, 11:19pm)
hey man I have a question for you:

Im 18
6'2
160 pounds

Thin, but not really skinny.

I have definition, from when I used to work out seriously, but even then I didnt know what I was doing

I weighed 180, but it was with creatine. Stopeed working out completely, stopped the creatine, and went down to 150 or so, now im at 160

I want to be back at 180 ( or at least look like i am ) by prom. I have about 2 months, and I want to get this fast

Basically, what Im aiming for is BIG arms - like the type people notice when you walk past. i used to have these, and I have been doing curls, but it doesnt do too much since I dont have enough weight.

A gnarly chest, and more definition to my stomach

Ill be biking alot this summer, so legs dont need to be worked on

With all of this, I would also like to be able to hold my breath better than I do now

I smoke ( yaya i know...) and I like to fight/ jiu jitsu with friends, but after a round or two I am almost seizuring on the floor from lack of O2.

Help me out please, In detal if possible. I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks man!

Thankfully the solution to all of your ideas here is the same.

You require repetition of training.

This means, you are going to hit 1-2 muscle groups a day, every single day, for 5 days straight, then take 2 days rest.

Sample:

Mon - Chest + abs
Tues - Back + calves
Weds - Shoulders + forearms
Thurs - Legs + abs
Friday Arms + calves

You will do sets like this:

Set 1 - warmup weight (light) approx 20 reps.

Set 2 - Very heavy weight approx 6-8 reps (forced)

Set 3 - reduce weight approx 15-20% and go until failure

Set 4 - same as set 3

Set 5 - same as set 3

You will do all sets like this...with no more than 1 minute rest between exercises.

Stick to 30 sets per workout, minimum.

In addition, try to take Cytogainer shakes..approximately 2 shakes per day (1 in the morning, and 1 after a workout) get these at bodybuilding.com

Also make sure you are eating properly and every 2-3 hours without fail.
Apr 29 2009 07:27pm
Quote (rustyo486 @ Wed, Apr 29 2009, 02:05am)
What do you think of sun flower seeds as a snack? Does it work anywhere near the same as nuts and such?

Yes! Sunflower seeds are good as a small snack!
Gold: 0.00
Apr 29 2009 07:30pm
ok i have a question for you:

im 6'2" about 190-200

almost 16 years old

whats a good diet for football?

i work out almost every day i can in the schools weight room

im lookin to gain about 10-15 pounds by football next fall

whats a good diet for that?

edit: oh and im planning to start buying walmart whey products if you need to know that

This post was edited by Peterthegreat91 on Apr 29 2009 07:31pm
Apr 30 2009 01:26am
Quote (Peterthegreat91 @ Wed, Apr 29 2009, 09:30pm)
ok i have a question for you:

im 6'2" about 190-200

almost 16 years old

whats a good diet for football?

i work out almost every day i can in the schools weight room

im lookin to gain about 10-15 pounds by football next fall

whats a good diet for that?

edit: oh and im planning to start buying walmart whey products if you need to know that

Hey there. Basically to gain weight, you need to take in about 500 cal more than you burn per day. The best way to do this is to take in approximately 60g protein, 60g carbs, 20g fat for around 550 cal total in addition to your regular meal plan.

To do this, you can either buy cytogainer and take 1 cytogainer shake per day (usually at breakfast or after a workout) - alternatively you can just eat whole foods in surplus - which in this case would would be approx: 1 sweet potato, 1 large chicken breast, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in addition to your normal meals.

For 6'2 190 - you require about 2,200 cal just for regular metabolic functions. With 2 hours of exercise per day, you are burning about 3,000 cal a day. You need 3,500 cal per day total in order to achieve the gains you want.

Totals should look like this: 350g protein 500g carbs 105g fat

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Apr 30 2009 01:27am
Gold: 5.83
Apr 30 2009 10:04am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Tue, Apr 28 2009, 11:26pm)
Hey there. Sounds like you would proabably need to just get into a good habit of doing cardio and eating correctly.

To do this in basic form, here is what you should do.

Eat every 2-3 hours (small meals/snacks) - stick to whole foods like vegetables, lean meats (chicken, turkey, tuna, fish, eggs, etc.)

Reduce or eliminate sugar from your diet

Eat lots of raw vegetables to curb hunger throughout the day

Drink only unsweetened drinks like water or tea, or have DIET soda.

For exercise you will need to stick to a very simple plan. Try to do at least 1-2 hours of vigorous exercise every day. Try fast-walking at first, walk for about 30 minutes and see how you feel. Then a few hours later walk for another 30 minutes. Do this for the first week. The second week, move up to 1 hour walk, followed by another 1 hour walk several hours later.

After a few weeks of that, try more advanced things like climbing stairs for 30 minutes straight, then going for a jog for 30 minutes later.

Within 1 month you should have lost approximately 10lbs - and feel a LOT better.

Thank you for your wonderful advice, I'll try my best to stick with this for as long as humanly possible, I think the physical part is going to be the one I want

to stick with the hardest, the eating part is going to be the hardest, I enjoy my little ( computer snack food ) what I call it, which consists of

skittles/soda pop/jolly ranchers

those three things are my main ' staple ' while using the computer, I have made myself a list of the foods you mentioned and will try to follow it

is it ok to eat fruit/berry flavored yogurts and starchy things since i'll be more active now, or is that a pure no no?

~Marina.
Apr 30 2009 11:50am
Quote (Marooned @ Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:04pm)
Thank you for your wonderful advice, I'll try my best to stick with this for as long as humanly possible, I think the physical part is going to be the one I want

to stick with the hardest, the eating part is going to be the hardest, I enjoy my little ( computer snack food ) what I call it, which consists of

skittles/soda pop/jolly ranchers

those three things are my main ' staple ' while using the computer, I have made myself a list of the foods you mentioned and will try to follow it

is it ok to eat fruit/berry flavored yogurts and starchy things since i'll be more active now, or is that a pure no no?

~Marina.

hey there - no problem.

Well basically you want to avoid starchy stuff as much as possible...the fewer the carbohydrates, the more fat loss (basically).

If you really like soda...just stick to diet soda which is fine.

As far as candy goes...the closest thing that I can say is okay would be to try a low-sugar protein bar, or fruit.

The best option is for "snack foods" - try to go with something like celery with peanut butter, cheese sticks, yogurt (with no fruit mixed in), cottage cheese w/ chopped banana, or even beef jerky (low sodium kind).

hope this helps!
Gold: 31.01
Apr 30 2009 08:28pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:50pm)
hey there - no problem.

Well basically you want to avoid starchy stuff as much as possible...the fewer the carbohydrates, the more fat loss (basically).

If you really like soda...just stick to diet soda which is fine.

As far as candy goes...the closest thing that I can say is okay would be to try a low-sugar protein bar, or fruit.

The best option is for "snack foods" - try to go with something like celery with peanut butter, cheese sticks, yogurt (with no fruit mixed in), cottage cheese w/ chopped banana, or even beef jerky (low sodium kind).

hope this helps!

isnt aspartame in diet soda horrible for the body? sorry if im wasting your time
Apr 30 2009 10:14pm
Quote (Osirislives @ Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:28pm)
isnt aspartame in diet soda horrible for the body? sorry if im wasting your time

Not unless it is abused. Aspartame in small quantities is safe. Of course, it is better to avoid anything synthetic from consumption all together.

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Apr 30 2009 10:14pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
May 3 2009 04:44pm
Hi, i'm 14 years old and i would like to have a six or 8 pack, and have good muscles everywhere.

I'm 5''5 - 5''6 and 108 Lbs.

Would you make me a workout schedule + what i should eat ?

Thanks, would also pay FG. Thanks in advance,

-Seb
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev11231241251261272039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll