d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1123212331234123512362039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 50.00
Jan 1 2012 03:19pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 1 2012 03:33am)

For KETO I was just thinking 7 meals of chicken breast + broccoli could I do that (I"m really picky on food that I like/dislike?
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jan 1 2012 06:53pm
Quote (haloz5 @ Jan 1 2012 07:04am)
keto even if your not obese? i was told keto was for obese people im just around 16-19% BF 152 pounds 5.9

Whoever told you that is full of it.

Keto is for ANYONE and commonly used by bodybuilders in the weeks prior to a competition.
Jan 1 2012 06:54pm
Quote (IDUTCIH @ Jan 1 2012 05:19pm)
For KETO I was just thinking 7 meals of chicken breast + broccoli could I do that (I"m really picky on food that I like/dislike?

yes you could - but don't forget you NEED a LOT of fat on keto - that's your energy source. So basically Chicken + Broccoli + Olive Oil. Make sure to read the keto diet properly and get enough olive oil to fulfill your fat needs.
Gold: 50.00
Jan 1 2012 08:02pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 1 2012 05:54pm)
yes you could - but don't forget you NEED a LOT of fat on keto - that's your energy source. So basically Chicken + Broccoli + Olive Oil. Make sure to read the keto diet properly and get enough olive oil to fulfill your fat needs.

I grill all my chicken on the george foreman so would I just cover it with whatever amount of olive oil I need?(For example purposes I'll say 4 oz)
Gold: 16,910.00
Jan 2 2012 12:01am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 1 2012 02:55am)
That plan works fine for cutting - very effective. Just make sure to get enough sleep and also make sure not to under-eat too much or else you will cause slower fat loss than expected.

Thanks a lot again Raynor.

One more question.

How much would one cheat meal on my off day per week hurt me? Providing I maintained my protein intake.
Gold: 7,051.00
Jan 2 2012 02:46am
Hey Raynor, someone suggested I post my shoulder problem in your sticky.

For 4 years my left shoulder has been hurting and it hasn't been a problem until I started working out about 6 months ago.
It began when I started going to the batting cages every week during off season for baseball. I would do a lot of left arm only swings (I am right handed and bat and throw right handed as well) to practice my form. That baseball season my shoulder didn't hurt, it just started to pop every time I lifted my elbow above my shoulder. The following offseasons I went to the batting cages every week as well. The next season it started to hurt more during batting, but since I don't throw left it did not affect me too much. At this point I went to the doctor and after an x-ray he told me to stay off it for a few weeks (typical). The next season there was a lot of pain and I had to loosen up my shoulder a lot before going up to bat. I did this by holding my bat at my side and swinging it in a full rotation multiple times, keeping my arm as straight as possible trying only to rotate my shoulder. I didn't play the next year, and then in August 2011 I started working out casually, doing an upper body workout every other day and leg workouts the days between. I traded off high rep/low weight and low rep/high weight every other upper body day. My shoulder gave me a dull pain for the first couple months and gradually grew worse into an almost constant dull pain and a sharp pain when lifting. One day I picked up my 10 lb backpack and my shoulder popped and hurt like hell. I haven't been able to work out for the past 2 months due to the pain.

Some added info:

- I can pop my shoulder whenever I want by lifting my elbow above my shoulder height. This hurts a lot to do.

- Constant dull pain, sharp pain when lifting.

- When I do dumbbell curls I noticed that my left shoulder is higher than my right shoulder.

- I can hardly do 5 push ups, and knee push ups hurt as well after about 20 or so.

- I tried doing 5 lb dumbbell shoulder workouts but it started to hurt too bad, I think because of the continuous motion

- I went to another doctor and he told me to stay off it for a few weeks and see how it does.

My workout

Example Week 1
Mon = High rep / low weight upper body
Tues= Lower body
Wed= Low rep / high weight upper body
Thurs= Lower body
Fri= High rep / low weight upperbody

Example Week 2
Mon = Low rep / high weight upper body
Tues= Lower body
Wed= High Rep / low weight upper body
Thurs= Lower body
Fri = Low rep upper body

(Like I said, it's casual)

Any thoughts on what it could be? Anything I can do to help strengthen it or does it sound like a bone / rotator cuff issue? Thanks for reading this, hope you can help me out.
Jan 2 2012 02:58am
Quote (IDUTCIH @ Jan 1 2012 10:02pm)
I grill all my chicken on the george foreman so would I just cover it with whatever amount of olive oil I need?(For example purposes I'll say 4 oz)

No.

All fat runs off of the george foreman.

You MUST add olive oil and other fats directly. Whether it means just simply taking a tbsp or two of olive oil at meals and just eating it....or adding it to your food AFTER it's cooked.

KETO requires a lot of fat...if you don't get enough fat, keto won't work.
Jan 2 2012 02:58am
Quote (Miniflight @ Jan 2 2012 02:01am)
Thanks a lot again Raynor.

One more question.

How much would one cheat meal on my off day per week hurt me? Providing I maintained my protein intake.

Depends on how many calories - but in general one cheat meal per week is safe unless you are literally pre-competition.
Jan 2 2012 03:03am
Quote (EvilBuddha @ Jan 2 2012 04:46am)
Hey Raynor, someone suggested I post my shoulder problem in your sticky.

For 4 years my left shoulder has been hurting and it hasn't been a problem until I started working out about 6 months ago.
It began when I started going to the batting cages every week during off season for baseball. I would do a lot of left arm only swings (I am right handed and bat and throw right handed as well) to practice my form. That baseball season my shoulder didn't hurt, it just started to pop every time I lifted my elbow above my shoulder. The following offseasons I went to the batting cages every week as well. The next season it started to hurt more during batting, but since I don't throw left it did not affect me too much. At this point I went to the doctor and after an x-ray he told me to stay off it for a few weeks (typical). The next season there was a lot of pain and I had to loosen up my shoulder a lot before going up to bat. I did this by holding my bat at my side and swinging it in a full rotation multiple times, keeping my arm as straight as possible trying only to rotate my shoulder. I didn't play the next year, and then in August 2011 I started working out casually, doing an upper body workout every other day and leg workouts the days between. I traded off high rep/low weight and low rep/high weight every other upper body day. My shoulder gave me a dull pain for the first couple months and gradually grew worse into an almost constant dull pain and a sharp pain when lifting. One day I picked up my 10 lb backpack and my shoulder popped and hurt like hell. I haven't been able to work out for the past 2 months due to the pain.

Some added info:

- I can pop my shoulder whenever I want by lifting my elbow above my shoulder height. This hurts a lot to do.

- Constant dull pain, sharp pain when lifting.

- When I do dumbbell curls I noticed that my left shoulder is higher than my right shoulder.

- I can hardly do 5 push ups, and knee push ups hurt as well after about 20 or so.

- I tried doing 5 lb dumbbell shoulder workouts but it started to hurt too bad, I think because of the continuous motion

- I went to another doctor and he told me to stay off it for a few weeks and see how it does.

My workout

Example Week 1
Mon = High rep / low weight upper body
Tues= Lower body
Wed= Low rep / high weight upper body
Thurs= Lower body
Fri= High rep / low weight upperbody

Example Week 2
Mon = Low rep / high weight upper body
Tues= Lower body
Wed= High Rep / low weight upper body
Thurs= Lower body
Fri = Low rep upper body

(Like I said, it's casual)

Any thoughts on what it could be? Anything I can do to help strengthen it or does it sound like a bone / rotator cuff issue? Thanks for reading this, hope you can help me out.

A few things come to mind.

1. Partial dislocation of the shoulder
2. Minor Rotator Cuff Tear
3. Hyperextended ligaments of the shoulder
4. Early onset tendonitis

I can tell you the following things to do...

1. Minimize using the shoulder against weight as much as possible
2. Hold your shoulders back (chest out) and keep good posture as much as possible - do NOT let your shoulders slouch forward
3. Keep the area mobile and stretched out (but do not cause it pain in doing so)
4. Ice the area after using it (playing baseball or working out) - Ice for 30 mins on and 60 mins off 3-4 times a day
5. Take ibuprofen as needed to alleviate any interior swelling.
6. Make sure to drink at least 1.5 gal of water per day to help promote healing and anti-inflammation
7. Get at least 8 hrs of sleep per night to also assist with healing

In addition, I recommend that you go see a chiropractor and/or sports medicine doctor asap and get the shoulder looked at better than just some xrays. There are a few treatments that can help, including a cortisone injection.

Good luck!
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jan 2 2012 03:08am
Raynor,

Im 6'5 215 lbs lean and strong. I play division 1 mens volleyball. I jump touch (with approach) 11'7 and with my reach that I have it ammounts to a 39" vertical. We always start training in August, our season starts Jan 5, and goes till the ned of May.

My vertical has decreased down to 34 inches (touching 11'2 now). I unfortunately cant play my position with the height I have unless I can fly like I usually do. I get terrible patellar tendonitis underneath my kneecap, and especially descending further down my leg.

We practice 5 days a week, and my position (middle hitter) has to jump at least 10x more than anyone.

The trainers make us foam roal the shit out of everything... I ice my knees after every practice, and I stretch before and after working out. I even heat my knees before foam-rolling/stretching out. The pain is un-bearable. I sound like a huge pussy but just yesterday our first match, I had to tell coach to take me out, i just couldnt jump because of the pain. Its even hard to walk up stairs.

So.......

What else can I do to get my ass back on the court? Steroids, oxy's, and cocaine have crossed my mind... but since we get drug tested I cant do that (Im kidding anyways)...

I took 3 weeks off for christmas break, and came back thinking I would be good to go, but then jumping right into double days this last week, FUCK MY KNEES HURT!! and now im side-lined.

Any advice would be great.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1123212331234123512362039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll