d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1122712281229123012312039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,450.00
Dec 27 2011 06:07pm
does jack3d harm your body? what are your thoughts on preworksupps?
thanks in advance
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Dec 27 2011 09:55pm
Quote (Websters @ Dec 27 2011 07:34pm)
Whats your thoughts on combining pure strength training on compound movements with accessory work in the 4sets of 8-12 rep range?

That can work fine - the key here is accessory work. If you are using accessories for plain asthetics, that is the proper method. If you are training the accessories for strength - then you're doing it wrong.

So you have to determine what exactly you are training the accessories for.
Dec 27 2011 09:57pm
Quote (OrkyMarquis @ Dec 27 2011 07:40pm)
I need you're advice on this, Would this be overtraining if I do this split

Day1 Chest
Day 2 Back
Day 3 Shoulders/leg
Day 4 Arms/abs
Day 5 off
Day 6 repeat With chest..etc

There is no such thing as overtraining, just under-eating and under-sleeping.

Secondly, assuming your diet is fine and you get 8 hrs of sleep a night you will be fine with this.
Dec 27 2011 10:12pm
Quote (Gosu @ Dec 27 2011 08:07pm)
does jack3d harm your body? what are your thoughts on preworksupps?
thanks in advance

Pre-workout supplements in general have some rather large flaws. I am going to explain this in full and save the reply for future questions in regards to pre-workout supps.

The problems include the following:

1. Caffeine + Arginine together. The issue here is the fact that you are using a vasoconstrictor (caffeine) with a vasodialator (arginine). The two work antagonistically. Caffeine constricts the blood vessels and increases blood pressure, whereas arginine dialates the blood vessels and reduces blood pressure. Some supplements have much more caffeine, others have much more arginine, some have about the same. Either way though this is a stupid and useless transaction to have quantities of both - choose one or the other. Caffeine for energy, or Arginine for Pump.

2. Tons of Magnesium. Most pre-workout supplements have a ton of Magnesium which has a laxitive side effect. Many of the original NO-Xplode users will attest to the "explosive" results 10-15 minutes after drinking. This can disrupt your workout and cause obvious focus issues.

3. Artificial colors/flavors. As we know, artificial colors and flavors are obviously NOT good to put into our bodies. There really is no argument here. All pre-workout supps are chock full of these.

4. Sucralose (Splenda), Aspartame, and Acesulfame potassium (Artificial sweeteners). All pre-workout supplements are FULL of these. They not only have laxitive like side effects (yes, it stacks with the magnesium) but also these artificial sweeteners have potentially carcenogenic effects when used over the long term. It's not clear how much or what mechanism is required to cause such an effect - so for right now the FDA labels these as "safe." However certain labratory animals have experienced mast cell growth and cancerous tumors as the result of the introduction of artificial sweeteners. Avoid these!!

5. Extremely expensive per serving. The cost of most pre-workout supplements like Jack3d and NO-Xplode are generally very high per serving. Sometimes $1-$2. If you substitute with 2 cups of plain black coffee (around $.15 each) you can have tons of energy, without any added BS, and much cheaper!!

In conclusion, most pre-workout supplements are a ton of caffeine (energy) and beta A (which gives you the tingly feeling). They are full of artificial sweeteners and colors and also can produce laxative-like effects with excessive magnesium. They are very expensive per serving and mostly popular due to very obvious aggressive marketing campaigns.

I personally recommend the following:

1. 2 cups plain black coffee prior to working out for energy (cheap, natural, and effective)
2. 5g Di-Arginine Malate pre-workout and 5g again at the 1 hour mark if training for more than 1 hour (for great pumps and vasodialation)
3. GAT! Jet Fuel. This is the only pre-workout supp I think is good. It's made up of entirely good ingredients and has a MUCH greater energy effect than plain caffeine.

Good luck!
Gold: 250.00
Dec 28 2011 09:45am
Was looking at that German 10x10 or whatever that Burns posted that you referred to earlier in the thread.

Seems a bit over the top but I feel another routine would be just as effective to put on some lean muscle.
Any other recommendations? I generally do my own routines/splits but my progress always seems to be very slow. Would like to try something else.

Also I seen you saying that cutting by drastic amounts as opposed to keeping your caloric defic. so you're only losing weight slowly was much less beneficial.
Would this rule also apply to bulking? If I keep my caloric surplus at say +500/day with adequate protein intake would I put on more lean mass?
Obviously I understand the higher your cal intake is the more fat I would have to cut off later down the road, but I mean in terms of putting on lean mass as fast as possible.

Feel free to field this one if you like as well.

Any recommendations on some supplements I should take a look at?

Trying to put on some lean mass over the winter months.
Maybe looking at a good pre/post workout.

I already have:
Creatine Monohydrate
Multi
Fish oil
Protein

Was also thinking possibly a test booster or some ZMA etc. to help me sleep
Banned
Gold: 4.80
Warn: 30%
Dec 28 2011 11:23am
hey raynor im having a huge problem gaining weight on a bulk (im stuck at 140) and ive been using your 5x5 strength bulk diet and at back at uni its hard to get food as the place i live is really crap.

i bought this

http://supplementreviews.com/ultimate/iso-mass-xtreme-gainer

iso mass weight gainer

previous members of my family / extended family have told me they have used this with success and said id ought to give it a try
the only thing is it contains creatine which im not too sure about.

do i have anything to worry about/ is there any thing i need to take into account with the creatine? its 7g of creatine per 3 scoops (1 serving) and i intend only on taking it post workout.

e; also what besides hamstring curls are good for building up hammies?? thanks again

This post was edited by billybrian on Dec 28 2011 11:35am
Gold: 24,009.00
Dec 28 2011 12:59pm
would making whey protein oatmeal like this denature the protein?

boil the water then put oatmeal + protein powder in then mix while cooking on a lower heat until the waters gone

Gold: 0.30
Dec 28 2011 03:02pm
Dear Raynor,

Is there anything I can do to fix my posture? For years my shoulders have always been slouched inward and I've never really gotten any advice on how to fix this. Not only does it make my chest look smaller in size but I think it may be affecting some of my workouts

Thx
Dec 28 2011 03:15pm
Quote (billybrian @ Dec 28 2011 01:23pm)
hey raynor im having a huge problem gaining weight on a bulk (im stuck at 140) and ive been using your 5x5 strength bulk diet and at back at uni its hard to get food as the place i live is really crap.

i bought this

http://supplementreviews.com/ultimate/iso-mass-xtreme-gainer

iso mass weight gainer

previous members of my family / extended family have told me they have used this with success and said id ought to give it a try
the only thing is it contains creatine which im not too sure about.

do i have anything to worry about/ is there any thing i need to take into account with the creatine? its  7g of creatine per 3 scoops (1 serving) and i intend only on taking it post workout.

e; also what besides hamstring curls are good for building up hammies?? thanks again

Hey there.

That is correct, weight gainer is a GOOD idea for you.

I also have a good bulking diet for a hardgainer such as yourself:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=345094501
Hardgainer Diet and Exercise Guide

Also nothing to worry about creatine, it's good for you. No need to take more than 10g per day though.
Dec 28 2011 03:16pm
Quote (HaloGod @ Dec 28 2011 02:59pm)
would making whey protein oatmeal like this denature the protein?

boil the water then put oatmeal + protein powder in then mix while cooking on a lower heat until the waters gone

Yes. You want to avoid heating the whey protein isolate.

Instead, cook the oatmeal as usual, then when it's ALMOST done (about 1 minute out) put the whey protein in, take the oatmeal off the heat and stir regularly for about 1 minute, then serve.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1122712281229123012312039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll