d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev11171181191201212039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 55,570.01
Apr 14 2009 07:15pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Tue, Apr 14 2009, 11:50am)
number is reps is not necessarily a concern...except for the following threshholds:

<6 reps = powerlifting and strongman competitions

>20-25 reps = circuit training

The reason that true NUMBER of reps doesn't matter is because it is all about level of intensity. Arnold said it best in one of the early 2000's M&F issues - "when you stop counting your reps, and lift until you physically can't do any more (failure), you are now learning to become a bodybuilder."

However, as I said before, the two threshholds above are the differences - so to address your question more thoroughly - you must decide What your goals are.

If you want to be a powerlifter, you will perform 3 weeks of <6 reps power-lifting style exercises...with 1 week of hemovascular (forced reps, tons of sets, lower weight)

If you want to be a bodybuilder, you will perform 3 weeks of as many reps as you can sets, with drop sets, breakdowns, very little rest between exercises (medium/high weight to challenge yourself)...with 1 week of muscle confusion on totally different exercises, pacing, weight, etc.

If you want to just be in good physical health and physically fit, try 2+2+1 (2 weeks powerlifting 2 weeks standard training and 1 week of circuit training). Circuit training is essentially where you will pick a circuit for which to lift, for example say you pick 8 exercises. You will then move along the circuit performing the exercises one after the other WITHOUT stopping. You will repeat the circuit approx 4 times only taking breaks between circuits.

Anyway, there are your selections and explanations.

How do you qualify 8 rep and 12 rep.
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Apr 14 2009 08:27pm
Quote (Beleivegoditstheonlyway @ Tue, Apr 14 2009, 09:15pm)
How do you qualify 8 rep and 12 rep.

these again are numbers...they don't matter. As long as you are going heavy enough, the number of reps doesn't matter as long as its generally over 6. doing 8 reps or doing 25 reps, the difference is the intensity generated by the weight you are doing. It is better to work HARDER in whatever way possible. In other words, on the bench, do 225 for as MANY times as you can....after failing, strip some weight, and go again, until fail. This eliminates the need for rep count, and sticks with what's important - muscular failure. (this is for bodybuilders - NOT powerlifters)
Gold: 1,600.01
Apr 15 2009 06:20pm
So Raynor

this isn't much of an advice, but what to do question

I havent worked out in years, but I recently started to do it again.

After the work out I got really sore, i can barely move my arms around, they wont go straight down.

It's been going on for 6 days already so it's gettin me a little worried.

I tried icing it, but thats only a temp fix, any suggestions on what to do?

As well as what can i do to prevent this again
Gold: 1,955.00
Apr 15 2009 07:51pm
What would you recommend in this situation?

Supposidly I have a low back strain. Family doctors are garbage in this case.
Would you rather go to a Sports Medicine Doctor or a Chiropractor?

:P
Gold: 10.16
Warn: 20%
Apr 15 2009 11:11pm
hey Raynor,

i have just reached 195 pounds after a long and steady bulk at which i began at 175 pounds.

my goal now is to cut down to maybe 183-185 and just hang around there for a while, maybe try to gain some muscle, here is a thread with a picture and further discussion: http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=30389962&f=60&st=0#entry187850004

since this is the first time i have "bulked" and now i intend to "cut" i thought i would ask for some tips on cutting. i have a really fast metabolism and have found that in the past i have been able to shed weight rather quickly.

my fear is that once i reach my goal of 185 i will continue to lose weight because of the changes in diet and exercise, is there a way to maybe purposely plateau at 185?

also, im sure this is a common question when it comes to cutting, but how do i cut ten pounds and at the same time lose a little muscle as possible?

also i would like to do this without the assistance of fat burning supplements (which i dont think is necessary for losing ten pounds anyways), but i do have bcaas and other amino acids so i assume i should be taking those to help prevent my muscles from breaking down. should i invest in anything else? if you strongly recommend a supplement i assume i could buy that shit, but id really rather not have to use it unless you think its absolutely necessary.

I know as far as diet i should be eating healthy fats and lean protein, anything else on diet?

any other advice is strongly appreciated, thank you :)
Apr 16 2009 12:14am
Quote (Drifty @ Wed, Apr 15 2009, 08:20pm)
So Raynor

this isn't much of an advice, but what to do question

I havent worked out in years, but I recently started to do it again.

After the work out I got really sore, i can barely move my arms around, they wont go straight down.

It's been going on for 6 days already so it's gettin me a little worried.

I tried icing it, but thats only a temp fix, any suggestions on what to do?

As well as what can i do to prevent this again

Haha - this is quite normal. Try stretching, and glutamine
Apr 16 2009 12:14am
Quote (cseitz71690 @ Wed, Apr 15 2009, 09:51pm)
What would you recommend in this situation?

Supposidly I have a low back strain. Family doctors are garbage in this case.
Would you rather go to a Sports Medicine Doctor or a Chiropractor?

:P

Chiro 100%

they have ALWAYS worked for me....and franco columbu being a chiropractor is the icing on the cake ;-)
Apr 16 2009 12:21am
Quote (pimpmastaben6969 @ Thu, Apr 16 2009, 01:11am)
hey Raynor,

i have just reached 195 pounds after a long and steady bulk at which i began at 175 pounds.

my goal now is to cut down to maybe 183-185 and just hang around there for a while, maybe try to gain some muscle, here is a thread with a picture and further discussion: http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=30389962&f=60&st=0#entry187850004

since this is the first time i have "bulked" and now i intend to "cut" i thought i would ask for some tips on cutting. i have a really fast metabolism and have found that in the past i have been able to shed weight rather quickly.

my fear is that once i reach my goal of 185 i will continue to lose weight because of the changes in diet and exercise, is there a way to maybe purposely plateau at 185?

also, im sure this is a common question when it comes to cutting, but how do i cut ten pounds and at the same time lose a little muscle as possible?

also i would like to do this without the assistance of fat burning supplements (which i dont think is necessary for losing ten pounds anyways), but i do have bcaas and other amino acids so i assume i should be taking those to help prevent my muscles from breaking down. should i invest in anything else? if you strongly recommend a supplement i assume i could buy that shit, but id really rather not have to use it unless you think its absolutely necessary.

I know as far as diet i should be eating healthy fats and lean protein, anything else on diet?

any other advice is strongly appreciated, thank you :)

Ok very simple plan for you.

Cut carbs down to 30g / day taken all in the first meal (try whole grain bread or oatmeal)

secondly, you will continue to eat protein/fat as usual....do not increase these - keep them where they are now, just elminate carbs down to 30g. The difference of calories (im guessing you were eating approx 300g / carbs / day which is 900 cal - you will start to shed fat dramatically.

You are 6'0 195, which means your body on its own is burning approx 2,000 cal a day just for basic functions - this means, you will eat 1,900-2,100 cal a day TOTAL - NO MORE!!

so lets crunch some numbers -

300g protein = 900 cal
100g fat = 900 cal
30g carbs = 90 cal

total = 1,890

So to reach the 2,000-2,100 cal mark, throw in about another 30g protein and 5g fat. (approx 1 clean shake) for a total of 330g protein, 105g fat, 30g carbs.

Now - here is what you will do for exercise and etc:

Continue your workout plan as usual - but add 30-45 mins of cardio at the END of the workout every single day. On days off from the gym, do at least 1 hour of vigorous cardiovascular activity (any kind).

Furthermore, you will eat every 2-3 hours, eliminate sugar (this is a carb obviously) - and take 2g bcaa before, every 45 mins during, and right after working out (cardio AND weights).

Follow this regimen and you will lose 10 lbs fat in approx 3 weeks with virtually no noticeable loss of muscle.

P.S. drinking black coffee in the morning on an empty stomach helps.

Gold: 10.16
Warn: 20%
Apr 16 2009 07:41am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Thu, Apr 16 2009, 01:21am)
Ok very simple plan for you.

Cut carbs down to 30g / day taken all in the first meal (try whole grain bread or oatmeal)

secondly, you will continue to eat protein/fat as usual....do not increase these - keep them where they are now, just elminate carbs down to 30g. The difference of calories (im guessing you were eating approx 300g / carbs / day which is 900 cal - you will start to shed fat dramatically.

You are 6'0 195, which means your body on its own is burning approx 2,000 cal a day just for basic functions - this means, you will eat 1,900-2,100 cal a day TOTAL - NO MORE!!

so lets crunch some numbers -

300g protein = 900 cal
100g fat = 900 cal
30g carbs = 90 cal

total = 1,890

So to reach the 2,000-2,100 cal mark, throw in about another 30g protein and 5g fat. (approx 1 clean shake)  for a total of 330g protein, 105g fat, 30g carbs.

Now - here is what you will do for exercise and etc:

Continue your workout plan as usual - but add 30-45 mins of cardio at the END of the workout every single day. On days off from the gym, do at least 1 hour of vigorous cardiovascular activity (any kind).

Furthermore, you will eat every 2-3 hours, eliminate sugar (this is a carb obviously) - and take 2g bcaa before, every 45 mins during, and right after working out (cardio AND weights).

Follow this regimen and you will lose 10 lbs fat in approx 3 weeks with virtually no noticeable loss of muscle.

P.S. drinking black coffee in the morning on an empty stomach helps.

Hey Raynor,

thank you for getting back to me so soon, and i really appreciate the help, i plan on following this regimen religiously for the next 3 weeks and hope to see improvements.

however i noticed that most of the foods i eat have a ton of carbs in them, im curious to know of some good food to eat while cutting. the majority of my diet was meat and dairy products, and since you say to only have 30g of carbs in the morning, i feel that it will be difficult to cut the carb filled foods out of my diet, any suggestions on what to eat?

also, i guess i could just post here in 3 weeks when im done with this, but im hoping to try and lose fat and gain muscle at the same time when im done cutting for a few months. how do i accomplish this?

This post was edited by pimpmastaben6969 on Apr 16 2009 07:42am
Apr 16 2009 10:39am
Quote (pimpmastaben6969 @ Thu, Apr 16 2009, 09:41am)
Hey Raynor,

thank you for getting back to me so soon, and i really appreciate the help, i plan on following this regimen religiously for the next 3 weeks and hope to see improvements.

however i noticed that most of the foods i eat have a ton of carbs in them, im curious to know of some good food to eat while cutting. the majority of my diet was meat and dairy products, and since you say to only have 30g of carbs in the morning, i feel that it will be difficult to cut the carb filled foods out of my diet, any suggestions on what to eat?

also, i guess i could just post here in 3 weeks when im done with this, but im hoping to try and lose fat and gain muscle at the same time when im done cutting for a few months. how do i accomplish this?

Technically losing fat and gaining muscle is nearly impossible to do at the same time. Generally you want to bulk for a period of time (build muscle and gain some fat), then you will cut for a period of time (maintain muscle and cut fat). Only certain people with superior genetics have the ability to bulk and stay cut at the same time....or steroid users (DONT DO IT)

Anyway, as far as foods go:

Meats (any)
Dairy (no milk or yogurt....but cottage cheese and regular cheese are fine)
Mixed nuts (one serving per day - has some carbs, but its alright)
Whey protein shakes
Vegetables (no carrots, potatoes, corn, peas, or beans - all other veggies are fine)
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev11171181191201212039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll