d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev11021031041051062039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Mar 19 2009 10:35am
Hi, I've got a question.

I'm new to body building, saw your thread and thought it might be useful to me.
Anyways my goals are to gain more strength, thicker arms, gain weight, and maybe a 6-pack.
My goal atm is mainly to gain weight and gain more muscles.

Current stats:
5"9
145 lbs ( sad.gif )

I do have access to the gym and I do have some dumbbells at home.
I started working out with the dumbbells (just the usual triceps exercise) about 2 weeks ago,
atm I do 3x Sets:
1x 15 reps
1x 15 reps
1x 20 reps

They are not that heavy, about 22 lbs. (I'm dutch so we use the metric system with KG and Meters)

And I started doing triceps exercises about one week ago.
3x 10 reps per arm
about 20 lbs

I do these reps about 4 times a week before I go to sleep.
Haven't been to the gym for a while since all my friends quit, but planning on starting to go there again when I've got an idea of what I want to do.(boring to go there for me)

But I'm having huge problems with gaining weight and also I don't notice any real difference in my muscle strength. (I thought I could do a bit more reps after training with these dumbbells for almost 3 weeks.)
We do have a big jar of whey protein powder for protein shakes at home. I could use the powder if you suggest me to.
I'm not planning on buying any other pills/powder to build my body at the moment. Maybe when I become a bit more 'muscular'.

So my questions:
- What would be a good balanced meal for me to gain weight? (Aiming for ~150-160 lbs, so thats roughly 20 more lbs than I weigh atm)
- What would be good exercises to train my abs, triceps, biceps, shoulders, etc? I mean the full package
- Any other tips would be welcome wink.gif

Thanks in advance.

Ps; Excuse me for the crappy english, my native language is dutch smile.gif
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Mar 19 2009 11:57am
Quote (Tear @ Thu, Mar 19 2009, 09:44am)
alright and dirty bulk is anything right?
clean is like mad complex carbs etc? but keeping with healthy nutrients

and ill have to lose the 8pack eh sad.gif

dirty bulk basically means you eat anything (very calorie rich) but you keep your macros somewhat in order (50c/30p/20f or something close)

clean bulk is tons of carbs in the early part of the day, no carbs at your 5th and 6th meals, no sugar, etc.
Gold: 20.00
Mar 19 2009 12:47pm
Quote (xera2 @ Thu, Mar 19 2009, 04:35pm)
Hi, I've got a question.

Anyways my goals are to gain more strength, thicker arms, gain weight, and maybe a 6-pack.

Current stats:
5"9
145 lbs ( sad.gif )

I started working out with the dumbbells (just the usual triceps exercise) about 2 weeks ago,
atm I do 3x Sets:
1x 15 reps
1x 15 reps
1x 20 reps

They are not that heavy, about22 lbs. (I'm dutch so we use the metric system with KG and Meters)

3x 10 reps per arm
about20 lbs

Haven't been to the gym for a while since all my friends quit, but planning on starting to go there again when I've got an idea of what I want to do.(boring to go there for me)

But I'm having huge problems with gaining weight and also I don't notice any real difference in my muscle strength. (I thought I could do a bitmore reps after training with these dumbbells for almost 3 weeks.)
We do have a big jar of whey protein powder for protein shakes at home. I could use the powder if you suggest me to.
I'm not planning on buying any other pills/powder to build my body at the moment. Maybe when I become a bit more 'muscular'.

So my questions:
- What would be a good balanced meal for me to gain weight? (Aiming for ~150-160 lbs, so thats roughly 20 more lbs than I weigh atm)
- What would be good exercises to train my abs, triceps, biceps, shoulders, etc? I mean the full package

Thanks in advance.

veel succes ermee smile.gif ik ben ook eigenlijk net begonnen
Gold: 268,119.58
Mar 19 2009 01:53pm
I have a dilemma. I have an ectomorphic build. My muscles have gone to literal crap because of school and the horrible food they give us here(i study in england at a university) and i've been lax when going to the gym. Essentially i've shrivelled up. I'm really tall but underweight. I have a shoulder that comes out of the socket occasionally that i am meant to be doing physio for that sort of complicates things. Any suggestions on how to not only put on weight put make that weight muscle? Workouts, eating, shoulder fixing excercises O_O?
Mar 19 2009 02:35pm
Quote (xera2 @ Thu, Mar 19 2009, 12:35pm)
Hi, I've got a question.

Current stats:
5"9
145 lbs ( sad.gif )

atm I do 3x Sets:
1x 15 reps
1x 15 reps
1x 20 reps

They are not that heavy, about22 lbs. (I'm dutch so we use the metric system with KG and Meters)

3x 10 reps per arm
about20 lbs

But I'm having huge problems with gaining weight and also I don't notice any real difference in my muscle strength. (I thought I could do a bit more reps after training with these dumbbells for almost 3 weeks.)

So my questions:

Thanks in advance.

hey there -

considering you only have dumbbells - try this workout whenever you can't make it to the gym.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/planet14.htm

As far as diet goes -

Try this:

Eat at least 3,000 calories a day - with at least 50% from complex carbohydrates (pasta, rice, bread, oatmeal, potatoes, etc.) and at least 200g of protein (meats, fish, dairy, eggs) and plenty of good fat (fish, oils, dairy, avocados, etc).

as far as exercises go for all the muscle groups:

go here: http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Mar 19 2009 02:37pm
Quote (FORt-HOBO @ Thu, Mar 19 2009, 03:53pm)
I have a dilemma. I have an ectomorphic build. My muscles have gone to literal crap because of school and the horrible food they give us here(i study in england at a university) and i've been lax when going to the gym. Essentially i've shrivelled up. I'm really tall but underweight. I have a shoulder that comes out of the socket occasionally that i am meant to be doing physio for that sort of complicates things. Any suggestions on how to not only put on weight put make that weight muscle? Workouts, eating, shoulder fixing excercises O_O?

Two things.

First off, increase your diet - you need more calories + more carbohydrates + at least 200g protein + lots of good fat. (eat at least 3,000 cal a day)

If you have the ability to buy supplements, get Cytosport Cytogainer and drink two shakes a day mixed with fruit and milk - tastes absolutely amazing...and will bulk you up fast.

In addition, you will need to be working out ONE major muscle group per day, 5 days a week. Go nice and slow, squeeze the muscles with every set and take your time. The faster you work out, the more calories you burn, and we don't want you burning anything considering you are a hardgainer.

Do not do cardio.

Also, if you feel pain at the gym working out, stop the exercise - lower the weight, and go again. If you feel constant pain, change the angle that you are performing the exercise. If theres still pain, move onto another exercise.
Gold: 20.00
Mar 19 2009 02:48pm
Hey,

I hear most people here say 5x 5 repetition is the best way to make your muscle grow, but when i do that i dont feel nearly as tired as when i do 10-12 repetitions, how come?. It doesnt really feel like i have used my muscles as much as i could have but i am sure that i cant do more repetitions of the same weight.

Am i doing something wrong? ive tried 5x 5 for a few weeks but im back to my old program now, but on here people say its not as good.

This post was edited by SeaBas on Mar 19 2009 02:48pm
Gold: 268,119.58
Mar 19 2009 02:57pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Thu, Mar 19 2009, 08:37pm)
Two things.

First off, increase your diet - you need more calories + more carbohydrates + at least 200g protein + lots of good fat. (eat at least 3,000 cal a day)

If you have the ability to buy supplements, get Cytosport Cytogainer and drink two shakes a day mixed with fruit and milk - tastes absolutely amazing...and will bulk you up fast.

In addition, you will need to be working out ONE major muscle group per day, 5 days a week. Go nice and slow, squeeze the muscles with every set and take your time. The faster you work out, the more calories you burn, and we don't want you burning anything considering you are a hardgainer.

Do not do cardio.

Also, if you feel pain at the gym working out, stop the exercise - lower the weight, and go again. If you feel constant pain, change the angle that you are performing the exercise. If theres still pain, move onto another exercise.

Okay. Thanks. I'll try to do this, but also going to do some strength training before i start this. It looks like i need it.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Mar 19 2009 03:14pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Thu, 19 Mar 2009, 21:35)
hey there -

considering you only have dumbbells - try this workout whenever you can't make it to the gym.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/planet14.htm

As far as diet goes -

Try this:

Eat at least 3,000 calories a day - with at least 50% from complex carbohydrates (pasta, rice, bread, oatmeal, potatoes, etc.) and at least 200g of protein (meats, fish, dairy, eggs) and plenty of good fat (fish, oils, dairy, avocados, etc).

as far as exercises go for all the muscle groups:

go here: http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Thanks, just did my first set of that 18 minute dumbbell workout. My arms are all swollen up biggrin.gif
And what do you suggest about they protein (whey) powder? Use it or don't use it?
Mar 19 2009 10:00pm
Quote (xera2 @ Thu, Mar 19 2009, 05:14pm)
Thanks, just did my first set of that 18 minute dumbbell workout. My arms are all swollen up biggrin.gif
And what do you suggest about they protein (whey) powder? Use it or don't use it?

always use protein supps...preferably before and after a workout.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev11021031041051062039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll