d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1102310241025102610272039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.10
Sep 11 2011 03:40pm
recommended fish oil?

Ive been using ON, just wondering if I should switch to a more efficient brand
Gold: 125.00
Sep 11 2011 03:45pm
Quote (*StyLuS* @ Sep 11 2011 02:40pm)
recommended fish oil?

Try increasing your flax seed intake as well. Great source of omega fatty acids.

That doesn't fully answer your question of course :P

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Sep 11 2011 03:45pm
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Sep 11 2011 08:47pm
Quote (SyB_BaM @ Sep 11 2011 12:16pm)
Do you suggest any program / site or something that I can like count what I eat everyday?

Like, calories, protein, carbs and shit.

Or do I just read all the nutrition-facts on what I eat, and count everything myself? ^^

That's so boring :P

ALWAYS read and count yourself to ensure proper calorie/macro management.

Get a cheap little journal and write it down
Sep 11 2011 08:48pm
Quote (FATALxRYAN @ Sep 11 2011 04:50pm)
I have been taking Serious Mass (Protein/Weight Gainer) for about 5 months.

I think I want to switch off it as I have gained 15 lbs on it. I also have been taking 1MR pre work out.

Could you recommend a protein and a possible prework out? Also I have read about BCAA's and was curious about whether I should take it.

Try Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex Natural (or the pro complex gainer if you need a little more in the way of calories/macros)

BCAA's are great, but you can just take a shake pre and post workout to fulfill the same requirements.
Sep 11 2011 08:49pm
Quote (*StyLuS* @ Sep 11 2011 05:40pm)
recommended fish oil?

Fish oil is great, I recommend NOW! Super Omega 3-6-9 (2 pills with every meal)
Sep 11 2011 08:50pm
Quote (Canadian_Man @ Sep 11 2011 05:45pm)
Try increasing your flax seed intake as well. Great source of omega fatty acids.

That doesn't fully answer your question of course :P

Hello there.

Please do NOT offer help or advice in this sticky.

This sticky is reserved for people to ask questions to myself and 7ds.

All others are not allowed to answer questions. This is to prevent misinformation and also avoids confusion.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Gold: 125.00
Sep 11 2011 09:16pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Sep 11 2011 07:50pm)
Hello there.

Please do NOT offer help or advice in this sticky.

This sticky is reserved for people to ask questions to myself and 7ds.

All others are not allowed to answer questions. This is to prevent misinformation and also avoids confusion.

Thank you for your cooperation.

My bad. >_<;

Hey so I've asked lots of people and sometimes I get a little more info and sometimes things help sometimes things don't. My shoulder was injured about a year and a half ago, and since then it's been an on and off thing never fully healing. I've tried giving it time off (months off) and just nothing has really helped it fully recover. Even now it's still not recovered.

It's a bit of a long post, but hopefully you have knowledge on these kinds of injuries. I've done lots of googling and lots of reads, and this is an ongoing issue I'm working on.

Quick history:
- injured over time, not on one particular exercise (and then the shoulder problem stuck)
- eventually got worse and 3 months ago I believe it was got to the point where if I did anything with it, my arm would be disabled and I couldn't lift it for 30 minutes or something like that until it went back to normal
- went to go see a physiotherapist a few weeks ago (I think 4 weeks ago now), and my shoulder had partially healed up before I went to go see him, so he couldn't identify the injury even though I told him it was still irritating (maybe he was a bad physiotherapist, don't know)
- since then I've been working out, not doing shoulder days, and just being very careful (always doing shoulder-heavy compound exercises like bench press and other things first when I have the most energy, and warming up carefully before-hand)
- pain has been consistent lately and I've been careful, and so far I haven't had any increase in pain, though the pain hasn't gone away, and full strength hasn't come back to my shoulder

Things I've been doing:
- for the past week I've been taking Tylenol ER before bed (muscle relaxant) -- I know it's bad for the liver but right now I've been using it
- been trying to have extra hot showers when I have showers
- been working on my posture
- been icing my shoulder for 20 minutes at a time multiple times throughout the day
- been taking creatine and beta-alanine as well as increasing my water intake in hopes that this may help my shoulder in the recovery process
- increased cardiovascular exercise (5 times per week)
- no military shoulder presses or variants thereof, and no 90 degree side raises (45 degrees max) as told by the physiotherapist (he gave me this as general advice, telling me this can exacerbate a current problem, and his own words were that it's an unsafe exercise for anyone in any health - so I've avoided that)

If you have any recommendations on speeding up the recovery process (and possibly finally making a full recovery which I've never made yet), please help me out on this one. The physiotherapist told me to continue to use my shoulder until it hurts badly again, and then to come in and see him (if that ever were to happen). Currently I'm not at that point. I don't think rest is going to help the shoulder as I have tried that before (and that is the common answer).

The injury can be painful, and feels weak, at the front delt and can hurt down toward where the shoulder muscle meets the bicep at the fronter area of my body. My left shoulder blade at my back can feel tense sometimes but never really is painful. Sometimes my shoulder can feel more painful closer to the pectoral muscle. It's only my left shoulder. The pain is usually piercing at the front when it's at its worst, it can feel like cramping when it was really bad, and sometimes it feels like aching. There is some inflammation but it's very hard to see and mostly can be noticed by feeling (and there doesn't appear to be an increase in body heat from inflammation in that area).

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Sep 11 2011 09:18pm
Gold: 50.00
Sep 12 2011 08:58am
Quick question about showering, to keep hair healthy etc what do you recommend (I've heard that if using shampoo everyday causes hair problems)
Personally I shower twice a day using shampoo each time.
Sep 12 2011 10:29am
Quote (Canadian_Man @ Sep 11 2011 11:16pm)
My bad. >_<;

Hey so I've asked lots of people and sometimes I get a little more info and sometimes things help sometimes things don't. My shoulder was injured about a year and a half ago, and since then it's been an on and off thing never fully healing. I've tried giving it time off (months off) and just nothing has really helped it fully recover. Even now it's still not recovered.

It's a bit of a long post, but hopefully you have knowledge on these kinds of injuries. I've done lots of googling and lots of reads, and this is an ongoing issue I'm working on.

Quick history:
- injured over time, not on one particular exercise (and then the shoulder problem stuck)
- eventually got worse and 3 months ago I believe it was got to the point where if I did anything with it, my arm would be disabled and I couldn't lift it for 30 minutes or something like that until it went back to normal
- went to go see a physiotherapist a few weeks ago (I think 4 weeks ago now), and my shoulder had partially healed up before I went to go see him, so he couldn't identify the injury even though I told him it was still irritating (maybe he was a bad physiotherapist, don't know)
- since then I've been working out, not doing shoulder days, and just being very careful (always doing shoulder-heavy compound exercises like bench press and other things first when I have the most energy, and warming up carefully before-hand)
- pain has been consistent lately and I've been careful, and so far I haven't had any increase in pain, though the pain hasn't gone away, and full strength hasn't come back to my shoulder

Things I've been doing:
- for the past week I've been taking Tylenol ER before bed (muscle relaxant) -- I know it's bad for the liver but right now I've been using it
- been trying to have extra hot showers when I have showers
- been working on my posture
- been icing my shoulder for 20 minutes at a time multiple times throughout the day
- been taking creatine and beta-alanine as well as increasing my water intake in hopes that this may help my shoulder in the recovery process
- increased cardiovascular exercise (5 times per week)
- no military shoulder presses or variants thereof, and no 90 degree side raises (45 degrees max) as told by the physiotherapist (he gave me this as general advice, telling me this can exacerbate a current problem, and his own words were that it's an unsafe exercise for anyone in any health - so I've avoided that)

If you have any recommendations on speeding up the recovery process (and possibly finally making a full recovery which I've never made yet), please help me out on this one. The physiotherapist told me to continue to use my shoulder until it hurts badly again, and then to come in and see him (if that ever were to happen). Currently I'm not at that point. I don't think rest is going to help the shoulder as I have tried that before (and that is the common answer).

The injury can be painful, and feels weak, at the front delt and can hurt down toward where the shoulder muscle meets the bicep at the fronter area of my body. My left shoulder blade at my back can feel tense sometimes but never really is painful. Sometimes my shoulder can feel more painful closer to the pectoral muscle. It's only my left shoulder. The pain is usually piercing at the front when it's at its worst, it can feel like cramping when it was really bad, and sometimes it feels like aching. There is some inflammation but it's very hard to see and mostly can be noticed by feeling (and there doesn't appear to be an increase in body heat from inflammation in that area).

Have you actually spoken to a sports medicine doctor? If not, you really should. There are a plethora of exercises and treatments which can accelerate the healing process of a shoulder injury.

As far as what you're doing now, it all looks good to me.

However I would advise that you stay away from ANYTHING that requires pushing for at least several weeks. In that time, you should focus on light shoulder work to rebuild the strength and also allow for better range of motion. If you feel pain - STOP! Try different angles.

Also are you getting at least 8 hrs of sleep a night? if not, you really need to.

Furthermore, make sure you are drinking enough water (1.5 gal a day) and also consuming enough cholesterol (this actually helps aid in injury recovery)
Sep 12 2011 10:31am
Quote (IDUTCIH @ Sep 12 2011 10:58am)
Quick question about showering, to keep hair healthy etc what do you recommend (I've heard that if using shampoo everyday causes hair problems)
Personally I shower twice a day using shampoo each time.

Depends on the person. If you have dandruff/psoriasis you might need to shampoo less and also try a special shampoo.

You also ALWAYS want to condition your hair after every shampoo no matter what. Get a good cream conditioner and leave it in for a good 5 minutes before rinsing it out.

Lastly, I would in general recommend that you can shampoo once a day...but twice is excessive. Conditioning twice, however, is good.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1102310241025102610272039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll