d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1100910101011101210132039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Sep 4 2011 01:38pm
Quote (xXCrAzYsHoT @ Sep 3 2011 08:29pm)
How do you feel about IF(Intermittent fasting) and fasted training for cutting weight?

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Been looking at this website and It sounds like it'd be good on paper. Idk though

I've mentioned this before several times...

this intermittent fasting craze is garbage.

If you enjoy losing a good deal of muscle mass as well as fat...go ahead and do intermittent fasting.

If you enjoy maintaing as much muscle as possible while losing fat...keto is the way to go.

If you enjoy maintaing some muscle but also losing fat...a traditional cutting diet is the way to go.

The basic biology behind intermittent fasting is horrible. Essentially you are starving your body in normal glycogen drive, so when all glycogen stores are depleted the body obtains energy from broken down peptides (muscle) and lipids (fat). Your body does not automatically burn only fat...it burns both. If you understand how difficult it is to gain solid muscle...it makes no sense to lose so much of your hard earned lean mass so that you can rapidly lose fat as well.
Sep 4 2011 01:39pm
Quote (cseitz71690 @ Sep 3 2011 10:48pm)
Thanks sounds good :)

Also what's some HIIT I can do to cut some more fat for my show?
I've been doing low intensity cardio in the AM but I'm gonna add a few afternoon days where I wanna do HIIT. I hate having thick skin >.<

just do around 20-30 mins PWO HIIT for maximum fat loss benefit. Drink a shake approx 20 mins after completing it.

I would advice treadmill/eliptical/bike or flat surface running. Whichever you prefer.
Sep 4 2011 01:45pm
Quote (TheOak @ Sep 3 2011 11:18pm)
Hey jst curious if its even possible for a non beginner to gain muscle & lose fat?

Im probly sitting around ~13% bf right now & feel like a fat ass lol.

But im scared to see the scale go down because I wouldnt be building muscle then?
I also am around 190lbs w/ a stage weight of 160. I dont want to get TOO high & have to cut another 40lbs at once again,
so I'm thinking about doing a mini cut down to 10% by then end of the year, bulk a little again & then do like a 20-14week contest prep to really get shredded next time... (good idea?)

Thanks

Depending on your body type (this is key) it CAN or CANT be possible.

If you are a natural mesomorph, you are blessed by the bodybuilding gods and can easily gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously.

If you are NOT a mesomorph, then this is unfortunately not truly possible.

In order for the body to build muscle you must be in anabolic mode - achieving a surplus of energy as well as peptides to rebuild the torn muscle fibers from workouts. In addition you have to constantly have external energy sources providing you with glycogen as your body depletes it throughout the day. If your glycogen stores die, the muscles begin to starve and eventually start being eaten through catabolic reactions.

The key is being able to MINIMIZE fat gains while bulking. This is a very interesting exercise in mental fortitude. In order to do this you need to be feeding yourself according to necessity. Example, specific caloric amounts throughout the day with exact macros for each particular meal with considerations for the workout and activity level for the day.

for instance,

if you were to do 2 hours of intense chest training on monday at 11am and you woke up at 8am....you would have had ONE meal prior to training. That meal would be a combination of fast and slow acting proteins, a moderate amount of fat+cholesterol, and a good amount of complex carbs. PWO should be simple carbs + 80% fast acting protein and 20% slow acting protein with no lipids. An hour after PWO you should have some complex carbs, slow acting protein, and lipids....etc. However the idea is to continue with the EXACT amount of calories needed to maintain anabolic drive WITHOUT consuming so much so that your body continues to store fat.

There are TWO ways to do this....

1. Reduce calories a bit here and there, focusing mostly on carbs and fats where necessary. If you notice lack of growth, increase macros. If you notice fat gain, decrease again until you achieve mostly muscle gains and minor fat gains.

2. Increase physical activity to compensate. Do more HIIT and keep the diet the same until the equilibrium has been met and you no longer are gaining fat "rapidly"
Sep 4 2011 01:46pm
Quote (GSXR @ Sep 4 2011 01:50am)
Up your protein intake and lower carb/fat a tad?

Hey there GSXR

Please do not reply to any of the posts in the sticky.

I know that you know better than that.

Regardless of how accurate your info may be, these are the rules of the sticky to avoid confusion, misinformation, and trouble in general.

Thank you for understanding.
Sep 4 2011 01:54pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Sep 4 2011 01:59am)
i've been working out for 2 weeks now. im fine with the sleep change, buying supplements, spending so much time at the gym, and the soreness from working out. but whats been frustrating me the most is the diet. i'm used to eating sweets and pasta and almost no meat because of it's bleh taste. as strange as it sounds, it's getting to the point im very tempted to give up on it since i can't deal with eating so much meat every day for the rest of my life. your vegetarian diet looks significantly more appealing to me by replacing meats with shakes.

couple questions:
1.) would this vegetarian meal give me the same (or at least similar) results as the meat option? i saw that the 30$/14day plan was inferior and i wanna make sure the vegetarian plan is ok

2.) what can i replace the following with? i have a hard time tolerating them.

i'm currently taking 20g casein shake + ground cinnamon for meal 6, which you suggested was a nice alternative. i'm fine with taking whole strawberry/chocolate/vanilla/banana whole milk, or would that have too much sugar? and i'm not sure what can replace almonds. more peanut butter? olive oil + eggs? cheese? whipped cream inside my shake?

3) can you give a similar protein-shake-heavy cutting diet? 190 lbs @ 5'10, but i can work out where to change quantities to hit the correct calorie count

The vegetarian plan will give you GOOD results, but not AS good as meats. However consider what you want to do in life. IF you are trying to be a pro-bodybuilder or powerlifter, vegetarian diets are out of the question.

If you are just trying to look good and be healthy, a vegetarian diet would be fine.

The whole milk can be replaced with 2 tbsp greek yogurt, the almonds can be replaced with 1 tbsp peanut butter, and the cottage cheese can be replaced with 1 cup greek yogurt (I recommend Stonyfield farms Oikos organic greek yogurt)

as far as the diet goes try this:

2,000 cals a day - 40% protein, 30% fats, 30% carbs.

Meal 1 - 3 whole eggs + 3 egg whites + 1 cup oatmeal + handful of mixed berries
Meal 2 - 40g protein shake + 1 slice whole grain bread + 2tbsp peanut butter + 1 tsp jelly + 8 baby carrots or 2 stalks celery
Meal 3 - 40g protein shake + 1 cup black beans + 1/2 cup brown rice + chopped onions/tomatoes/green peppers to taste + olive oil
Meal 4 - 40g protein shake + 1 cup whole grain pasta + 2 cups broccoli + olive oil
Meal 5 - 3 whole eggs + 3 egg whites + 2 oz skim milk cheese + 2 stalks celery
Meal 6 - 1 cup greek yogurt + 1 tbsp peanut butter
Sep 4 2011 01:55pm
Quote (StuOwen86 @ Sep 4 2011 08:36am)
Im going to order some Multi Vits tomorrow and was wondering about the ADAM NOW Multi's are the tablets better or the soft gels? Also looking at the CL orange triad Tablets. Also i have been taking ON opti-men/Reflex Multi but fancied a change as i hear the other 2 are best i normally take 3 a day (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) is this the best way? As i think Orange Triad are 3 in the morning 3 at night, with the soft gels they say just take 2 a day..Are the orange triad worth the extra money with the joint support ect.

Thanks for any Info i have put a price comparison below from where i can find them cheapest locally to me (im in the UK) and these are orderd online.

The NOW Multi 120 Tablets = £25.99 here  =  $42.00
The NOW Multi 180 Soft Gels = £32.99 here =  $54.00
Orange Triad 270 Tablets = £32.99 here      =  $54.00

Orange triad are superior in my book because of the total micro loadout. I would highly recommend those....3 pills 2x per day.
Sep 4 2011 01:58pm
Quote (CrimsonOdin @ Sep 4 2011 11:22am)
hiya, im starting to think i may have some kinda intolerance to gluten,
im currently taking 100% whey gold standard, just wondering if they are gluten free since they contain glutamine. ( im not very sure if glutamine have gluten in them )
:cheers:

Hey there...gluten is a bi-product of wheat/barley/rye. DO NOT confuse gluten with glutamine. Glutamine is an amino acid. Although glutamine is present in gluten rich foods, that does NOT mean glutamine should be avoided. Quiet the contrary....glutamine is essential to human health. Our body's produce it on their own - and obtain it from food and supplement sources.

Glutamine is a great amino acid, you should have NO problem with any whey proteins made without wheat.
Sep 4 2011 01:58pm
Quote (SyB_BaM @ Sep 4 2011 02:24pm)
Hey Raynor!

Is the diet just as important on my both restdays (saturday and sunday) as my workout day?

Well, after the friday workout, it seems like at least saturday should have an important part in it - well, give me your thoughts about it! :)

YES! Absolutely!

On non-workout days you require less calories than on workout days.

If you are a hardgainer disregard that and eat like a king regardless.

Gold: 10.75
Sep 4 2011 03:03pm
Hello Raynor. I'm thinking about starting working out again and for that I need to be a tad more serious. I'm thinking about ordering fish oil and more supplements to the diet. I'm running atm every second day 5 km and if I start working out it will be 3 days a week. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and during the day I eat a lot tuna/mackerel in tomato as well as salad. Before bed I can take peanutbutter.

Can you perhaps make me a mealplan with the things mentioned with other fruits and supps as whey proteine, fish oil and / or vitamines.
Sep 4 2011 03:04pm
Quote (Sunshines @ Sep 4 2011 05:03pm)
Hello Raynor. I'm thinking about starting working out again and for that I need to be a tad more serious. I'm thinking about ordering fish oil and more supplements to the diet. I'm running atm every second day 5 km and if I start working out it will be 3 days a week. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and during the day I eat a lot tuna/mackerel in tomato as well as salad. Before bed I can take peanutbutter.

Can you perhaps make me a mealplan with the things mentioned with other fruits and supps as whey proteine, fish oil and / or vitamines.

Certainly...please tell me your height and weight and goals as well
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1100910101011101210132039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll