d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > Demolition Carpentry?
12Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 30.00
Jul 31 2016 05:07am
Has anyone ever done this work before? If so, what was it like? Easy? Hard? Just trying to get a feel for what to expect before I dive in.

Edit: I feel as if I've dabbled in this line of work when I do theater. I always have to deconstruct my own set and that requires a lot of patience and careful moving, to keep the flats from breaking when I remove them.

This post was edited by TortoiseBox on Jul 31 2016 05:08am
Gold: 4.41
Jul 31 2016 07:25am
Some of the trade is probably very akin to that yes. What position in theater set?
Jul 31 2016 07:34am
Quote (MrSkales @ Jul 31 2016 07:25am)
Some of the trade is probably very akin to that yes. What position in theater set?

I was master carpenter and lead schematic designer.

Here it is without all of the detailing work done, low lights.

Gold: 22.00
Jul 31 2016 09:33am
is a master carpenter a job title in your line of work, or are you actually a master carpenter?

i feel like a master carpenter would never ask this kind of question
Jul 31 2016 09:35am
Quote (Wretch @ Jul 31 2016 09:33am)
is a master carpenter a job title in your line of work, or are you actually a master carpenter?

i feel like a master carpenter would never ask this kind of question

It was my title for this particular set build.

Edit: I am, by no means, truly a master carpenter. But I had the most experience with wood (giggity) throughout the cast of the play and the city demanded someone have the title for insurance purposes. (They had to say that someone was a master carpenter so that they could sleep thinking that the set was architecturally sound and safe.

This post was edited by TortoiseBox on Jul 31 2016 09:36am
Jul 31 2016 09:40am
Quote (TortoiseBox @ Jul 31 2016 11:35am)
It was my title for this particular set build.

Edit: I am, by no means, truly a master carpenter. But I had the most experience with wood (giggity) throughout the cast of the play and the city demanded someone have the title for insurance purposes. (They had to say that someone was a master carpenter so that they could sleep thinking that the set was architecturally sound and safe.

i see, i see. the set looks nice, like you just got done painting it :P

i was just curious. i'm no help on your question. in the few demo jobs i've done, we had a sawzall, a crowbar, and a gopher off on the side hammering all the nails and screws flat. not much regard for preserving the underlying structure.

sounds like a really great gig you have, though. interesting stuff. grats!
Jul 31 2016 09:47am
Quote (Wretch @ Jul 31 2016 09:40am)
i see, i see. the set looks nice, like you just got done painting it :P

i was just curious. i'm no help on your question. in the few demo jobs i've done, we had a sawzall, a crowbar, and a gopher off on the side hammering all the nails and screws flat. not much regard for preserving the underlying structure.

sounds like a really great gig you have, though. interesting stuff. grats!

We did, right before I took the picture. Then we plastered on a bunch of old playbills and posters. Its a decent looking set. I's pretty proud of it. :D
As far as I know, its a professional business that Ill be working for. No under the counter stuff going on, so it should have a little more option as far as tools go. But I think most carpentry businesses ask that you provide your own??
Jul 31 2016 10:00am
Quote (TortoiseBox @ Jul 31 2016 11:47am)
We did, right before I took the picture. Then we plastered on a bunch of old playbills and posters. Its a decent looking set. I's pretty proud of it. :D
As far as I know, its a professional business that Ill be working for. No under the counter stuff going on, so it should have a little more option as far as tools go. But I think most carpentry businesses ask that you provide your own??

you should be!

as far as the tools, what i've experienced and heard of varies a little bit. generally, high end power tools are supplied by the company (table saws, etc.) just for efficiency and because they have deals with suppliers to get these things for cheaper.

the only way i've done it, we were responsible for basic hand tools, belts, toolboxes, and small power tools. the cost would be removed from my paycheck over a few weeks.

everybody writes their name on their tools... but the smart ones spraypaint their tools hot pink :lol:

/e just don't flick a match into somebody's toolbelt no matter how much sawdust is in it

This post was edited by Wretch on Jul 31 2016 10:08am
Jul 31 2016 10:30am
Quote (Wretch @ Jul 31 2016 10:00am)
you should be!

as far as the tools, what i've experienced and heard of varies a little bit. generally, high end power tools are supplied by the company (table saws, etc.) just for efficiency and because they have deals with suppliers to get these things for cheaper.

the only way i've done it, we were responsible for basic hand tools, belts, toolboxes, and small power tools. the cost would be removed from my paycheck over a few weeks.

everybody writes their name on their tools... but the smart ones spraypaint their tools hot pink :lol:

/e just don't flick a match into somebody's toolbelt no matter how much sawdust is in it

Dangit! That was the plan on my first day, though!
Gold: 18.31
Aug 14 2016 10:49pm
heck yeah demo time
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic