d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > Is It Right To Eat Animals?
12310Next
Closed New Topic
Gold: 16,240.00
Jul 1 2016 07:19am
Is it right to raise and eat animals?
What criteria should we look at to decide?
Are animals conscious?

Continuation of random discussion
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=74645187&f=197&o=20

Quote (BebebBurns @ Jul 1 2016 12:40pm)
eh, how about how they are growing up - stucked in small room where they cant act like their species is supposed to...!
have you seen video material / documents about their conditions? brutal - even the most 'humane' factories are Bad
that's why i have much less problem with hunting for example
conciousness is ofcourse almost equally if not more important but since people are eating meat and seems like they dont care about consiousness (pigs and cows are equal to few year old humans ffs) then pain and suffering (caused by living conditions - death too obviously) is pretty damn important!

Yeah but that's just an argument for the way they're treated, I don't think many people would argue that it's fine the way it is
It would be easier to change to laws for the treatment of livestock rather than forcing everyone to go vegan

As to whether it's right to do this to something conscious, even if the conditions are good, I don't know. They wouldn't exist at all if it wasn't the case and i tend to feel any sort of life/experience is good without a certain amount of suffering. It ends up going to religion and the nature/origin of consciousness. But I guess people just pretend they aren't conscious which makes all these ethical questions go away.
Gold: 159.02
Jul 1 2016 07:24am
if it's possible to sustain without eating meat or animal products then it's immoral as it's the creation of arbitrary suffering
Gold: 1,113.99
Criteria depends on meat, and cuisine
Gold: 20.69
Quote (Devil_kin @ Jul 1 2016 05:24am)
if it's possible to sustain without eating meat or animal products then it's immoral as it's the creation of arbitrary suffering

:rolleyes:
Gold: 222.46
Jul 1 2016 07:31am
as long as they arent cute
Gold: 10,663.69
Jul 1 2016 07:37am
Quote (dakariii @ Jul 1 2016 03:19pm)
Is it right to raise and eat animals?
What criteria should we look at to decide?
Are animals conscious?

Continuation of random discussion
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=74645187&f=197&o=20

Yeah but that's just an argument for the way they're treated, I don't think many people would argue that it's fine the way it is
It would be easier to change to laws for the treatment of livestock rather than forcing everyone to go vegan

As to whether it's right to do this to something conscious, even if the conditions are good, I don't know. They wouldn't exist at all if it wasn't the case and i tend to feel any sort of life/experience is good without a certain amount of suffering. It ends up going to religion and the nature/origin of consciousness. But I guess people just pretend they aren't conscious which makes all these ethical questions go away.

actually i dont think majority mind enough how they are treated since they are eating whaever is tastiest / cheapest
i think we should (obviously stop subsiding meat/dairy/egg) start taxing factory farmed meat and dairy progressively up until ban it totally

i dont think its right but if they would have full Free life (which isnt the case at all when factory farmed so their life isnt worth living)

i dont think it is or should be religious at all but religious people should be in avant garde of not eating animals

Quote (Devil_kin @ Jul 1 2016 03:24pm)

this 100%
Gold: 181.99
Jul 1 2016 07:46am
Quote (dakariii @ Jul 1 2016 06:19am)
They wouldn't exist at all if it wasn't the case andi tend to feel any sort of life/experience is good without a certain amount of suffering. It ends up going to religion and the nature/origin of consciousness. But I guess people just pretend they aren't conscious which makes all these ethical questions go away.

It would be unfair to call the lives of the vast majority of farmed animals anything but pure suffering. Many argue about that the real value of life--the reason behind it being immoral to end a life, is that it's the deprivation of future value from subjective experience, which animals have. But not all subjective experience is valuable, such as is obviously the case when the only thing you experience is suffering. There is empirical evidence that a living and feeling being prefers death to life with only suffering and that is the actions of the suicidal (emotionally in pain) and the begging for mercy killing of the fatally ill/wounded (physically in pain). So by doing onto animals what's even worse than death in terms of what they prefer, it would be hard to argue it's any better that they were given life.

This post was edited by Nathan on Jul 1 2016 07:47am
Gold: 17.10
Jul 1 2016 07:48am
Yes, otherwise you're just eating their food and killing them anyways
Gold: 260.11
Jul 1 2016 07:48am
Not necessarily, as long as the suffering you've made isn't gratuitous.

I eat the suffering ones though, it makes the meat taste better.
Gold: 10,663.69
Jul 1 2016 07:58am
atleast pigs are more intelligent than dogs

Quote (Thor123422 @ Jul 1 2016 03:48pm)
Not necessarily, as long as the suffering you've made isn't gratuitous.

I eat the suffering ones though, it makes the meat taste better.

how do you decided whats too much - all factory farmed animals seem to suffer far too much to me
ive heard its the other way around - game (or w/e its called) from the woods tastes better

Quote (CenturyLink @ Jul 1 2016 03:48pm)
Yes, otherwise you're just eating their food and killing them anyways

yes we should make the population of eaten animals muuuuuuuuuuch lower, not make anymore of them unless their living conditions are proper and for give those alive a proper living

Go Back To General Archive Topic List
12310Next
Closed New Topic