d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > Any Car Savvy People Around? > Desperation At Its Finest.
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 30.00
Jun 26 2016 09:24am
Here I am at work and my car will not move.
Let me explain the issue as best as my complete "car dumb" brain can.

The car starts fine. I just bought it about a month ago and have done some work to it. We replaced the alternator in it and gave it a bath.
Yesterday I was driving on the highway and realized that my steering wheel was getting increasingly more difficult to turn, occasionally locking up.
I stopped at a gas station and picked up some Power Steering Fluid and let my car chug that. It seemed to work until this morning when I got to work.
My steering wheel has become ridiculously hard to turn.

On top of that, my center dash (where that neato little display sits that is constantly telling me Im low on engine coolant and that theres a problem with my airbag, cool) it has started telling me to "Check [My] Charge System"

We just replaced the alternator. And all of my lights and other little gadgets are working just fine.

So, with my steering and my newfound need to "check my charge system"... What do?
Gold: 1.58
Warn: 90%
Jun 26 2016 09:55am
The steering wheel system has no connection with the battery charge system.
If adding steering oil solve the problem temporarily then it means you are probably leaking oil, check the oil level and if it requires to add more oil again it means youre losing steering oil somewhere (probably/most likely the steering pump)

Now the chargin system measure how many volts is in the battery with your car working, it should be roughly 13v.. if you get like 8 or 9 v with the car working, it means there is a fault in the system somewhere, could be the alternator but if you replaced it then it might be something else, or you have a short (these can be hard to find sometimes just fyi in case the mechanic wants to charge you more than you expect)

I could be totally wrong the info you posted isnt coherent, but thats my guess.
Gold: 2,264.91
Warn: 40%
Jun 26 2016 09:58am
is it just the steering wheel wont move?

verything works fine?

Gold: 206.00
Jun 26 2016 10:00am
buy new car
Jun 26 2016 10:11am
Quote (FedOx @ Jun 26 2016 09:55am)
The steering wheel system has no connection with the battery charge system.
If adding steering oil solve the problem temporarily then it means you are probably leaking oil, check the oil level and if it requires to add more oil again it means youre losing steering oil somewhere (probably/most likely the steering pump)

Now the chargin system measure how many volts is in the battery with your car working, it should be roughly 13v.. if you get like 8 or 9 v with the car working, it means there is a fault in the system somewhere, could be the alternator but if you replaced it then it might be something else, or you have a short (these can be hard to find sometimes just fyi in case the mechanic wants to charge you more than you expect)

I could be totally wrong the info you posted isnt coherent, but thats my guess.

I wasnt relating the two by any means, just stating that they are two issues I started having within the last 24 hours. My car has so many gadgets and gizmos for a 99, its.. Excessive. But its what I have for the time being.
It might be a fuse, the steering wheel is my main concern. Im not the strongest and that fucker wont turn.

This post was edited by TortoiseBox on Jun 26 2016 10:11am
Jun 26 2016 10:19am
Quote (TortoiseBox @ Jun 26 2016 09:11am)
I wasnt relating the two by any means, just stating that they are two issues I started having within the last 24 hours. My car has so many gadgets and gizmos for a 99, its.. Excessive. But its what I have for the time being.
It might be a fuse, the steering wheel is my main concern. Im not the strongest and that fucker wont turn.

yah my car had same problem

steering wheel would not turn and i took some fuses out and put them back in and everything was fine after
Jun 26 2016 10:31am
Quote (MillerT1meUp @ Jun 26 2016 10:19am)
yah my car had same problem

steering wheel would not turn and i took some fuses out and put them back in and everything was fine after

Well, I mean... Its got its other issues. Low on engine coolant, etc.
But right now its the steering wheel primarily because I have to drive 15 miles home before I can check out what the issue is.
Gold: 252.29
Jun 26 2016 10:51am
Quote (TortoiseBox @ Jun 26 2016 04:11pm)

Ya got two options.

Option 1: be a fucking man and drive that fucker with no power steering to build upper body strength.

Option 2: fix the fucking problem.

Seriously man.

edit:

You get some damn water in the coolant system before you burn up your engine.

/edit

This post was edited by NekoSama on Jun 26 2016 10:53am
Gold: 0.00
Jun 26 2016 10:53am
Would help a ton if you tell what kinda of car you have, brand and year.
Jun 26 2016 10:56am
Quote (NekoSama @ Jun 26 2016 09:51am)
Ya got two options.

Option 1: be a fucking man and drive that fucker with no power steering to build upper body strength.

Option 2: fix the fucking problem.

Seriously man.

edit:

You get some damn water in the coolant system before you burn up your engine.

/edit

pretty sure his steering wheel is locked... i could be wrong though

This post was edited by MillerT1meUp on Jun 26 2016 10:57am
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic