d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > I Spent $23,000 Today
Prev189101112Next
Add Reply New Topic
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jul 1 2016 06:02am
Quote (HimynameisMatt @ Jul 1 2016 03:13am)
I also upped my repayments, and also upped the amount i am saving for the next home loan, almost half way there.
I have no investments outside of real estate other than my super fund though.

I feel this man, i had a guy at work ask me how i was going with my real estate, when he asked how i afford it i said "I chose not to have kids and to work hard and invest smart when i am young so i can work less when i am older".
The next day a middle management type pulls me into his office and says i have to stop bragging to my co workers about my wealth because it bothers them and makes them feel bad about having less than me, and that by saying how i didn't have kids i was unfair on this guy because he chose to have kids and he felt i was making fun of him.

Kinda made my head spin all the petty sniping around the office, think i will find a better place to work soon.

Here's what the issue is. If I say I make $100k+ a year and drop $20k into investments people see it as cocky.

If I posted that I make $12 per hour and got a raise to $14 an hour and saved up to buy a car it'd be a huge gz thread. Its not talking about money that bothers people, it's talking about a lot of money that bothers people I think. I see people post all the time about raises and promos and things they buy and people are thrilled, but god forbid I make more than the average person, then I'm just an asshole
Gold: 83.46
Warn: 70%
Jul 1 2016 06:05am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jul 1 2016 05:02am)
Here's what the issue is. If I say I make $100k+ a year and drop $20k into investments people see it as cocky.

If I posted that I make $12 per hour and got a raise to $14 an hour and saved up to buy a car it'd be a huge gz thread. Its not talking about money that bothers people, it's talking about a lot of money that bothers people I think. I see people post all the time about raises and promos and things they buy and people are thrilled, but god forbid I make more than the average person, then I'm just an asshole

I don't care what you spend on a wedding, I just hope you 110% for a fact know that the girl is worth it.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jul 1 2016 06:46am
Quote (M240B @ Jul 1 2016 07:05am)
I don't care what you spend on a wedding, I just hope you 110% for a fact know that the girl is worth it.

She is :) we never fight, but we disagree on plenty. We just would never intend to hurt one another, so no issue ever turns into a fight. I think that's what makes us special. She's extremely kind, clever, witty and a cutie. Everything I could ever want

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Jul 1 2016 06:46am
Gold: 83.46
Warn: 70%
Jul 1 2016 06:54am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jul 1 2016 05:46am)
She is :) we never fight, but we disagree on plenty. We just would never intend to hurt one another, so no issue ever turns into a fight. I think that's what makes us special. She's extremely kind, clever, witty and a cutie. Everything I could ever want

How long you been together for now?

I hope she doesn't fuck some other dude at some point in time.

Girls be crazy.
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Jul 1 2016 06:55am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jul 1 2016 09:16am)

And she found a dependable cuck that will overpay for a days worth of food
Gold: 5,168.97
Jul 1 2016 07:13am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jul 1 2016 02:02pm)

Talking about lots of money isn't what bothers people. Lack of social awareness is what bothers people.

Everything depends on the situation. You remind me a lot of my brother when we used to game together (Diablo, WoW, Guild Wars, that type of games). No matter what the context was, he just couldn't resist the urge to talk about his latest sexual conquest. Someone would mention the word "pussy" or "tits" or "ass" and my brother would immediately jump the gun and take this as an opportunity to the awesome pussy/tits/ass he got to play with the other day. If he'd have done that in a pub, people would probably not have minded. However, in those MMORPGs where a large percentage of the people are awkward nerds who spend their time at home and couldn't even dream of touching a female person's interesting body parts, this was perceived as offensive. And instead of changing his behavior, my brother just kept on blaming the people who didn't enjoy his bragging. And yes, it was bragging, even if he was just "sharing some funny anecdotes" as he put it.

You're exactly the same. You're fully aware of the fact that 95% of the people in your age group can't even dream of making as much as you. So indeed, when you talk about numbers that most of us cannot relate to, expect people to get pissed. It's not jealousy, it's not envy, it's simply annoyance at the fact that you have zero tact regarding how you talk about the stuff that makes you proud.

If you you think I'm wrong, just try to imagine how your "I make $12 per hour and got a raise to $14 an hour" story would be received if you told it to the people in a homeless shelter.

Really, having some social awareness is not that difficult. It only requires you to at least consider the possibility that you're doing something wrong instead of always blaming the other party whenever someone doesn't like what you say.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 1 2016 07:15am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jul 1 2016 06:02am)

Because when you make significantly above average it doesn't impact you to drop 20k a year in investments. It doesn't hit you very hard. However if you drop 20k a year but make average or below that actually took sacrifice and dedication to save that much money.
Gold: 1,113.99
Jul 1 2016 08:02am
What you guys eating ? Goldsoup ?
Gold: 21.93
Jul 3 2016 05:59pm
Quote (howtodisappearcompletely @ Jul 2 2016 12:13am)
Talking about lots of money isn't what bothers people. Lack of social awareness is what bothers people.

Everything depends on the situation. You remind me a lot of my brother when we used to game together (Diablo, WoW, Guild Wars, that type of games). No matter what the context was, he just couldn't resist the urge to talk about his latest sexual conquest. Someone would mention the word "pussy" or "tits" or "ass" and my brother would immediately jump the gun and take this as an opportunity to the awesome pussy/tits/ass he got to play with the other day. If he'd have done that in a pub, people would probably not have minded. However, in those MMORPGs where a large percentage of the people are awkward nerds who spend their time at home and couldn't even dream of touching a female person's interesting body parts, this was perceived as offensive. And instead of changing his behavior, my brother just kept on blaming the people who didn't enjoy his bragging. And yes, it was bragging, even if he was just "sharing some funny anecdotes" as he put it.

You're exactly the same. You're fully aware of the fact that 95% of the people in your age group can't even dream of making as much as you. So indeed, when you talk about numbers that most of us cannot relate to, expect people to get pissed. It's not jealousy, it's not envy, it's simply annoyance at the fact that you have zero tact regarding how you talk about the stuff that makes you proud.

If you you think I'm wrong, just try to imagine how your "I make $12 per hour and got a raise to $14 an hour" story would be received if you told it to the people in a homeless shelter.

Really, having some social awareness is not that difficult. It only requires you to at least consider the possibility that you're doing something wrong instead of always blaming the other party whenever someone doesn't like what you say.

I think people should stop being crabs and trying to pull each other down when we should be trying to raise each other up.
Getting angry because some one makes more money that you and is proud of that fact is not going to make you any richer, the some one else has more so i hate them mentality is just as bad as the some one else has less so they must be lazy mentality.
Gold: 307.59
Jul 3 2016 06:01pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 28 2016 02:41pm)
Today I burned through about $23,000.

$17k or so went to paying off the venue/food for the wedding, which was about 90% of the total cost.
I put $5500 into my Roth IRA today since the market took a downturn due to Brexit. Assuming it'll go up today, good time to do it.
Upped my mortgage payment by my principle amount. Isn't it crazy how a $1359 mortgage payment has only $360 of that total being principle? Meaning $1000 of my $1360 mortgage is essentially just poof money to interest tax and insurance. So I upped it by $360/month to pay it off in half the time.
Makes money in the long run, but right now I feel poor.

So you're gonna be rich in a few months and you'll be married by then. How can you feel bad for investing money? Srsly, I'd kick your ass if I were your wife so you could start to appreciate what you've got -.-"

Quote (howtodisappearcompletely @ Jul 1 2016 02:13pm)

Quote (HimynameisMatt @ Jul 4 2016 12:59am)
I think people should stop being crabs and trying to pull each other down when we should be trying to raise each other up.
Getting angry because some one makes more money that you and is proud of that fact is not going to make you any richer, the some one else has more so i hate them mentality is just as bad as the some one else has less so they must be lazy mentality.

I think you both are right. Yes, tact and social awareness matters. But getting offended for someone being happy and living without economical issues... it's disgusting, and trust me, I'm one of the poorest guys here

Quote (AspenSniper @ Jul 1 2016 01:02pm)

Wtf's wrong if you make 120k/year? Gz for you, probably studied a lot and have a job with a lot of responsabilities. Dont mind what people says while feeling envy

This post was edited by LordSinfriends on Jul 3 2016 06:06pm
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
Prev189101112Next
Add Reply New Topic